AccordFlex Turbo TL-S 6MT Build Thread-Updated 12/9/15 - Dyno/pics page 5

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 135 Posts
I got this one super clearance otherwise it would have been much harder to pull the trigger. Got it for around 500 shipped brand new in the box. Guy before me bought it but never got the chance to install it. Had it listed on ebay and I submitted a best offer and he accepted it. No way in hell I was gonna pay $800 for it haha.

But definitely glad I have this now, makes me feel much more stable about driving the car around once its tuned.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 PM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by AccordFlex

Just arrived. Needs some attention as this thing is pretty old. Found it on eBay from a seller who said it was an overstock item. However, it was shipped directly from Versus through Greyhound which was the odd part. Oh well, not sure why they had it, but I found it thankfully.

Some of the edges are slightly marked up, there is raw primer that needs some sanding, and will need some sort of strengthening behind the bumper because it is fiberglass and I dont want to ruin it with the slightest bump. I will be laying metal rods behind it and fiberglassing over it. Front grill and side wing/built in splitters will be painted Crystal Black Pearl to match the roof and roof spoiler.

Eventually I would like to build some fog lights in the two smaller side openings. But goal is to have this and turbo on and tuned by April to be at Honda Day in NJ.
wow that bumper looks like something out of the fast and furious part 1 movie. friggin awesome. are you going to use chicken fencing to fill in the middle?. in for the paint and sparkles. gl
Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by kingkong_dav
wow that bumper looks like something out of the fast and furious part 1 movie. friggin awesome. are you going to use chicken fencing to fill in the middle?. in for the paint and sparkles. gl

Thanks for the response, but if you dont have anything constructive to say, which is never, please refrain from posting. Appreciate it.
The following 2 users liked this post by AccordFlex:
Pghpizzaman (02-26-2014), Turbocoop (03-19-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 03:57 PM
2004 TL SSM w/NAVI

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Thanks for the response, but if you dont have anything constructive to say, which is never, please refrain from posting. Appreciate it.
@ kigkongdave
coming from a guy that in the last 3 weeks has become the biggest asshole on this forum. go back to your own thread and talk to yourself
Old 02-26-2014, 04:14 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts
So happy Valentines Day to myself... bought the Snow Performance Stage 3 MPG MAX Methanol kit yesterday. Figured there was no point in tuning the car without meth, saving up and buying it in a month or two after then paying to retune it using meth so I just bought the day kit to do this build right the first time.

I have been thinking of adding an AEM Meth inline filter to this as well incase there is any debris in the mixture it will get caught. Also been thinking of adding a larger reservoir in the rear. It is only a 3 quart tank which I dont think will last me a long time. Dont want to forget about it and not refill and mess everything up.

Heres a few pics of it.

Use your wiper tank:
-much bigger (less frequency of refills)
-closer to point of use (no lines of fluid running to trunk and quick response because of less travel and leaks to ground vs carpeted trunk)

Make sure the solenoid is very close to injection point
-faster response (less tube priming)
-less wasted meth after solenoid is closed (short tube length with leftover fluid).

Old 02-26-2014, 05:05 PM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by MAS

Use your wiper tank:
-much bigger (less frequency of refills)
-closer to point of use (no lines of fluid running to trunk and quick response because of less travel and leaks to ground vs carpeted trunk)

Make sure the solenoid is very close to injection point
-faster response (less tube priming)
-less wasted meth after solenoid is closed (short tube length with leftover fluid).

Hey MAS not to take this thread off topic but did you ever get your real numbers from a DYNO? not just from Vits numbers

BTW ACCORD- Your build is awesome
Old 02-26-2014, 06:46 PM
KingKong_Dav

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts
I like your build but my main question is why isnt the turbo on yet?... Btw thats one bigg turbo. In for numbers
Old 03-15-2014, 10:56 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
bumpyyyy
Old 03-19-2014, 05:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by kingkong_dav
I like your build but my main question is why isnt the turbo on yet?... Btw thats one bigg turbo. In for numbers
Probably because he is going the smart route and making sure he doesn't half ass it like you did, resulting in a shitload of problems after the install

Flex: great looking build, can't wait to see if in action. I might have to make the trip down to Honda Day to see it if its ready in time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbocoop:
AccordFlex (03-19-2014), i_love_cars (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
When it comes to meth kits, there's nothing better than alkycontrol.com. I've used most of the other kits and between me and my racing friends we've used everything out there and there's nothing that will touch the performance and reliability of the alkycontrol kit. My kit is almost 10 years old and it's only had pure meth in it and it's still fine.

And again, I know no one will listen but pure meth is by far the way to go for power and ease of tuning.

There's the age old debate of trunk or underhood. I've always had it underhood and was considering the trunk. Then I got meth poisoning from my fiend's CL65 Mercedes with a bad fitting in the trunk and never again. I'll take my chances with fire under the hood. I thought I had the worst flu ever, before I realized what had happened.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
How much more efficient is meth at cooling than water? I understand that meth will add power, but I'm wondering how it compares in regards to preventing knock.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:57 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
....Then I got meth poisoning from my fiend's.....
This story sounds just like the one my cousin Ray Ray from Miami was telling me a couple months ago. That meth poisoning is a bitch huh. Especially what it does to your teeth.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Pro

New AEM wideband and oil pressure gauges

Dropped off the car at Tuning Tech by Frank Smith in Crofton. Parts checklist is done and have pretty much everything minus a bolt or two. Want to throw on new tires and axles into the car before I start doing dyno pulls. Other than that, everythings ready to get started.

Lots of nice cars there at the shop with mine, BMWs, Porsches, and to the left is an Underground Racing twin turbo Viper GTS putting down 1400whp and running 8's in the 1/4 mile. Dyno will be a Dynocom where both rollers are linked by a very large timing belt so it gives great real world driving scnearios, and traction control does not have to be turned off.

http://www.dynocom.net/

Few more neat pics i snagged while there.

Supercharged Mischief M3 V8 putting down 624whp base dyno before tuning.

Last edited by AccordFlex; 04-19-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by maddogtheta
How much more efficient is meth at cooling than water? I understand that meth will add power, but I'm wondering how it compares in regards to preventing knock.
Meth is around 130 octane so there's one plus for knock prevention. Water is obviously zero, it puts the fire out. This is one reason meth is easier to tune, it burns lol. It's hard to use too much, there's a larger range of acceptable amounts so tuning is easy, less chance of bogging the engine down and better turbo spool.

Water has more cooling capacity by BTU but this is where the real world comes into play. Water does not have time to flash off and do a whole lot of cooling. Meth vaporizes almost immediately, giving up everything it has right away. While I saw a small change in air temps with water, meth was giving me over 60F lower temps. After a near 30psi pull, my intercooler plumbing after the meth nozzle, throttle body, and intake manifold were cool to the touch. Practically no power loss from winter to summer.

Meth is the better choice whether it's engine safety, power , or ease of tuning. Just make sure you don't have a dumbass friend install it and it's probably best in the engine bay. The stock windshield reservoir would be perfect, it's out of the way of the exhaust if you got into a wreck. My friend wrecked his '89 turbo Trans-Am badly with the meth tank sitting right in front of the turbo and no problems. Obviously you don't want to take unnecessary chances. Another way of doing it would be to run a tank in the trunk or just outside of the car toward the rear with the solenoid also in the rear of the car and a secondary solenoid in the front. If you're in a frontal impact the meth should stay contained. Using a cell designed for meth would be even better and very hard to rupture.
The following users liked this post:
maddogtheta (04-20-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
What numbers are you shooting for?

During my adventure so far, I can't say what kind of knock levels I was seeing before the MS3 but while using the MS3, it was very minimal. But the damage I see on the stock pistons now makes me realize how true IHC and YungOne501 statements were about knock.

My next purchase after recovering from costs of rebuilding is going to be some kind of knock unit, most likely a J&S Interceptor.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Pro

Update 5/24/15

So life happened and things got pushed aside with the TL.

I bought a house with a garage , it needed a shit ton of work and money to get it up to par. I got my tax identity stolen so I had to deal with that crap. Also of course you need parts here, parts there, more money here, more money there. Tons of other personal stuff with family as well. So here I am and caught up for the most part with life and my progress on the TL.

Ive had tons of questions to lots of other members here who have been more than awesome when answering questions and giving advice. I want to thank everyone who has helped me out the past year or so to get me to the point I am with the car.

So here is the current progress with the car. I have switched shops, no longer having any of the tune or work done by the previous place. They had some scheduling issues and I got tired of waiting around. Great place though. Now I will be using Innovative Motor Works in Carlisle, PA to do the tune and methanol setup. They are a Honda specialty shop. Also will be helping with some of the electronics end of the car like turbo timer, boost controller, wideband and oil pressure gauges.

Some issues with the car and parts I received by the JnR kit.

The tapped oil pan I received was for an auto TL or a base TL. I dont know the difference, I just know it wasnt the right one. So I had to pull that one out (getting the oil pan in/out sucks FYI) and tap my Type-S 6MT pan and reinstall that one.

Found out I needed a P2R intake manifold spacer to fit the P2R fuel rails. Also just found out I have the wrong ID1000 injectors. I was sent the ones for the 01-03 TL about a year ago but didnt get time to install, so straightening that issue tomorrow. Might be able to get around this by using the OEM O-rings off of my injectors to keep them snug.

Name:  unnamed%2015_zpsz4nmr82g.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1290_zpsixjzi0uj.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  237.9 KB

Needed a new oil filter/ oil cooler sandwich adapter because that one I received with the kit was drilled for sensors other than mine. Also didnt come with the O rings and bolt so need that as well.

Name:  unnamed%209_zpsgotqdxlw.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  72.7 KB

Name:  unnamed%2010_zpsztiwf1hj.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  56.2 KB

Brackets for the intercooler had to be redone to fit my build. Top mounting holes had to be drilled on the edge of the cross member. Bottom sub frame tabs that mount to the splash shield (3) had to be cut off and removed to fit the turbo manifolds. Pass side axle cover had to be removed to fit the turbo manifold.

Name:  IMG_1292_zpsde1ttpwb.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  224.9 KB

Name:  unnamed%201%20-%20Copy_zpschnljooq.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  unnamed%206%20-%20Copy_zpsmnukymne.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  unnamed%205_zps4u9uaai6.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  66.1 KB

Name:  unnamed%202_zpszvdtmlls.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  89.4 KB

Here is the dumptube and turbo mounting location.

Name:  unnamed%204_zps9q7jom0y.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  unnamed%2011_zpswwsqn8jt.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  44.0 KB

Here are some other charge pipe pics. Have to rehang the mid section of the exhaust so I will gain some more ground clearance, hopefully.

Name:  unnamed%207_zps8ikgi8pj.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  unnamed%2014_zpsh2riii5i.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  unnamed%208_zpsrfglbvjt.jpg
Size:  65.6 KB

walbro 255 installed.

Name:  unnamed%2013_zps3yej7vya.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  31.1 KB

Need to get a few loose ends tied up like new couplers and a reducer for my 3.7L manifold. Need a 8mm hex ball end to tighten the turbo. All of the oil feed/return lines are hooked up as well.

Got my Snow boost juice in the mail as well. Got 4 gallons for now. I also ordered an inline solenoid to keep meth pressure up. Also got the 2.5 gallon tank so I can hold more in the trunk for longer distances. Plus its not as annoying having to fill it up all the time.

Will have some more updates here in the next couple days. Thanks again for everyones help and support so far.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:30 PM
J-series addict

Received 614 Likes on 464 Posts
Car is looking badass man.

Thank you for doing it right!
The following users liked this post:
AccordFlex (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by yungone501
Car is looking badass man.

Thank you for doing it right!
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Just making sure I double check everything and do it right the first time. Also forgot to mention I had to replace the front bank 2 cylinder head as well. I had my cyl #5 spark plug blow out about 10k miles ago and got a heli coil in it. Now after time and use, it decided to begin to break as well, taking little bits of the inside of the cylinder head with it around the lower portion of the spark plug hole. Rather than try and fix this or put it off, I figured with extra pressure inside the motor, might as well fix it while it was already apart. My car has 77k miles and I found a J35A8 head with 84k miles. So that was an unexpected $600 for the head and hardware.

Also replaced the front engine mount bracket, inside of the began to strip and the bolt took a few threads out with it. Got that installed as well.

Name:  unnamed_zpsz32vl6s9.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  87.2 KB
Old 05-25-2015, 08:25 PM
J-series addict

Wonder if the spark plug issue had anything to do with the heavy carbon (or oil residue?) accumulation on cylinder #5....
Old 05-25-2015, 09:11 PM
Pro

Thumbs up

Also, does anyone by chance recognize this bracket from the JnR kit? I cant seem to find a home for it in the engine bay.

It looks as if the rounded cup part sits on an exhaust manifold or some sort. I would imagine it sits somewhere near where the turbo mounts for support, however I could be completely wrong. if anyone has info or a picture of this, i would be greatly appreciative!

Name:  IMG_1082_zps4qbi1dkc.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  230.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1081_zps2wdvgrm4.jpg
Size:  125.4 KB
Old 05-25-2015, 09:56 PM
J-series addict

Looks like maybe a support bracket for the....turbo maybe? Lol. Hmmm

Edit: realized you mentioned this but I guess we're both on the same track

Last edited by yungone501; 05-25-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I'm slooooooooow today.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:06 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 255 Likes on 207 Posts
I will look, but that I don't recall seeing that piece anywhere. Do you have the Version 2 kit?

Also, does anyone by chance recognize this bracket from the JnR kit? I cant seem to find a home for it in the engine bay.

It looks as if the rounded cup part sits on an exhaust manifold or some sort. I would imagine it sits somewhere near where the turbo mounts for support, however I could be completely wrong. if anyone has info or a picture of this, i would be greatly appreciative!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:15 AM
Safety Car

I don't have anything like that. Didn't you get this kit from Brandon? I don't recall seeing that when he had the kit up for sale.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
This is a nice build! Can't wait to see this baby run!
Old 05-26-2015, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Just a FYI Banks now has a new line of water/meth kits that are supposed to be really good. They have a universal kit.

Banks Power | 50-14 Universal - Universal>>Double-Shot® Water-Methanol Injection
Old 05-26-2015, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Oh, and nice progress. Cant wait to see it finished.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:12 PM

awesome progress! in to see it tuned and running!
Old 05-28-2015, 04:09 PM
Pro

Looks like maybe a support bracket for the....turbo maybe? Lol. Hmmm

Edit: realized you mentioned this but I guess we're both on the same track
Just cant find the exact location where Brandon had it for some reason.

Originally Posted by Hi speed
I will look, but that I don't recall seeing that piece anywhere. Do you have the Version 2 kit?
I have the V2 kit which is making this process a lot harder to find info on. It seems there are more pics and info on the V1 kit. Im guessing when the V2 kit came out, is when Rodney started to fall off the map.

Originally Posted by KN_TL
I don't have anything like that. Didn't you get this kit from Brandon? I don't recall seeing that when he had the kit up for sale.
Yes, I did get this kit from Brandon. Might have to go back to my paypal transaction and get his email and see if he can give me some info about it. He doesnt get on the forums anymore which kinda sucks.

Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
This is a nice build! Can't wait to see this baby run!
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Oh, and nice progress. Cant wait to see it finished.
Originally Posted by swoosh

awesome progress! in to see it tuned and running!
Thanks guys, June 1st it goes to the shop for tune, electronics and methanol. Will definitely have some videos and finished pics shortly.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
stupid questions.

what is the difference between V1 and V2?
Old 05-29-2015, 06:43 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
stupid questions.

what is the difference between V1 and V2?
on V1, outlet to the charge side of the turbo faces forward.

on V2, it's the other way around.

But from what I have seen, there are a bunch of variations to all of them. It's quite possible HiSpeed and I are the only ones who have the same setup because we were the first of 3 to buy (we're 6MT). Libert69 was the other but he was initially a 5AT then swapped to 6MT.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:21 PM
Pro

Couple more update pics.

Here are the tails and injectors all installed.

Name:  IMG_1316_zpsc3wqmhgc.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  186.8 KB

Here is everything all bolted up

Name:  IMG_1325_zpsokh7uswe.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  206.1 KB

And here is the car before it goes off to the shop for tuning. Just finished last night at 2am. Put in 35 hours the past 4 days to get this thing finalized and ready to go. Lots of minor snags, but well worth the reward.

Name:  IMG_1331_zpsbdmuyljo.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  197.6 KB
EvilVirus (05-31-2015), teh CL (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 08:28 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Old 06-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 315 Posts
Looks good, tell the tuner to be careful the knock sensor wont show knock under boost at higher RPM but you can hear it make the pop can full of rocks rattle clear as day I was suprised how loud it is on the J series engines
Old 06-01-2015, 01:28 PM
J-series addict

Originally Posted by UTAH TSX
Looks good, tell the tuner to be careful the knock sensor wont show knock under boost at higher RPM but you can hear it make the pop can full of rocks rattle clear as day I was suprised how loud it is on the J series engines
This is not entirely true. All my motors were very good at detecting knock in all ateas...sometimes too good. Maybe your knock sensitivity levels are too low or need to be correctly tuned to the new knock signature (electrical frequency) given by the denser alloy of the forged pistons you are running now.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:06 PM

Old 06-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
This is not entirely true. All my motors were very good at detecting knock in all ateas...sometimes too good. Maybe your knock sensitivity levels are too low or need to be correctly tuned to the new knock signature (electrical frequency) given by the denser alloy of the forged pistons you are running now.
even stock, our knock sensors didnt pick up the hard knock. could be different now with a new knock sensor installed. my old one took a crap on me a few weeks ago.
and the ping was LOUD.
i didnt know you could tune the knock sensor to certain frequencies.

Last edited by UTAH Type-S; 06-01-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Pro

So got some updates on the car.

Everything is completely done. The car was taken to Innovative Motorworks in Carlisle, PA where they installed the methanol, finalized the fuel return system, electronics for the car and tuned it. The installer/tuner is Derek Robinson. I could not be happier with his customer service and skill level.

Here is the car getting all loaded up. I called AAA and told them my car wouldnt start and I wasnt sure why. "Sir, have you checked to make sure your battery isnt dead?" Me - Yea, its not that, pretty sure it just wont start..."

Name:  IMG_1336_zpszfcjvrps.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  251.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1338_zpsassa8p3p.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  269.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1340_zpsnbokbbyq.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  283.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1344_zpsjuy5yagg.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  250.2 KB
anx1300c (06-07-2015), thisaznboi88 (06-08-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Pro

And here are some Dyno pics of the car.

It made 452whp and 425wtq on 8lbs. On 6lbs, it makes 420whp and 400wtq.

I also had issues with my walbro 255 and it would not keep line pressure over to the injectors very well, so now im using a DW65 260.

Also tapped a bung into the charge pipe to the manifold for the IAT sensor. Methanol is mounted in the rear of the vehicle in the trunk along the back seat.

Dump tube was cut and slightly rerouted so that it was away from the lower radiator silicon tube. Its a much safer exit for the front end as well.

And now to the good stuff.

Name:  20150606_141551_zpseguzwq4e.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  144.9 KB

Name:  20150606_141628_zpswqm4asn6.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  164.5 KB

Name:  20150606_145032_zpsle9ye2av.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  181.0 KB

Name:  20150606_144955_zpsbdwyueju.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  193.2 KB

Name:  20150606_145021_zpsno7iy0oc.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  183.4 KB
anx1300c (06-07-2015), thisaznboi88 (06-08-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Congrats man. Should be a highway monster!
Old 06-07-2015, 10:07 PM
Pro

And the Dyno video

Quick Reply: AccordFlex Turbo TL-S 6MT Build Thread-Updated 12/9/15 - Dyno/pics page 5