NY/NJ New Jersey & New York

Insurance Scam! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 03:02 PM
e92TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Insurance Scam! HELP

The fact that I am taking my time to searching for an answer that shouldn't happen to anyone is very frustrating. To make long story short, I got a call from my insurance that someone has filed a claim against my insurance on 26th for side swiping them, which I had no idea about. Other party has not filed police report but we happen to have same insurance (GEICO) so they were able to find out who I was with license plate number. Time and location of incident was true as I was heading home with my GF from city to my house in Queens. Anyways, I had made every effort to provide every request liability claim agent had requested to sort things out, even tried to bring my car very same day during lunch break but wasnt able to because of my work schedule and nearest autoshop was 10 miles away! Brought my car to GEICO recommended autoshop 3days later on Saturday to get it inspected and get pictures taken. At the time, inspector told me car has been painted and has cosmetic imperfections on the side (passenger) where accident was supposedly happened. Insurance agent called me today to inform me that car's damage matches the description of other party said... my luck right? I reached out to guy who sold the car to me and was told car had been painted on passenger before his ownership...Any inputs???
Old 08-04-2016, 06:33 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Only way out I see is to track down the original owner, through DMV using VIN and ask if he has any documentation regarding the accident or find out the name of his insurance carrier and ask if they can provide any assistance. If that is dead-ended I think your screwed!
Old 08-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
If I got this right, you are saying someone claims you side-swiped their car and within 3 days, had your car repainted. Further, the previous owner tells you that the car was repainted. Unless you just bought this car, I would assume a reputable body shop could tell the difference between a freshly repainted surface vs. one that was repainted some time ago (though you didn't mention how long ago the previous owner repainted the car). Your agent needs to take your side and find ways to support your side of the story. Am I missing something?
Old 08-18-2016, 06:43 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
so what ended up happening?