Northwest Alaska, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota & Washington State

Trusted shops & independent go 2 guys around Portland area

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 03:45 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Trusted shops & independent go 2 guys around Portland area

Just barely getting back from Cali not to long ago &amp; glad to be back in the O. After so many months of driving back &amp; forth to work my 4th gen TL sh-awd needed some considerable amount of TLc. So, decided to log in Acurazine &amp; do some research on suspension repair or should I say wtf is that clunking noise that I keep hearing when I run through a big series of uneven roads from the fronts &amp; rears?!? To my surprise (not really) couldn't find much here about which place to go to to find a decent dependable mechanic or shop that members would recommended around the Portland area(s) Don't really trust yelp reviews so yuh that's out of the question. Anyway, since I been back though, decided to purchase some better/lighter rims for my car &amp; get the proper alignment for it, but before I did that- I had to make sure I got my fenders rolled. This is where my problem starts. I called around PDx area &amp; everyone who did it at the shops were totally booked &amp; knowing how impatient I am. I didn't wanna wait. So long story short, I found these guys called VIP performance owned by a cat named Ryan but spelled Wryan yuh Portlanders is weird like that but anyways he was willing to do it around the afternoon for 100 just rears. So fast forward it a bit he got the job done, but didn't get it done correctly or how I imagined it, meaning damn, you call that fender rolling? This guy here Ryan spelled with w in the front with a capital W tells me "If you need me to do it more imma have to charge you another 40 to make it all even &amp; because it's gonna take more work &amp; the more I roll the more the fenders will flare &amp; that's not cheap I usually charge 100-200 to make the fenders flare" I'm like ya gotta be f'n me right now right? Like this dude here is trying to f#£[&lt; me, with no Vaseline. Told him look this car is going to be passed down to my son or daughter when they get their drivers license. You think this is acceptable? I pointed at the work he did &amp; he just said "that's great so you wanna do the fronts? I'll do it for 175 for both front &amp; back. I gave him 100 &amp; just said you know what keep the bill thanks for letting me see your work. After that day I showed my nephew what ryan spelled with a w did &amp; he said wtf who used a bat to do your fenders? So fast forward it to a few months go by I took another stab at finding a better guy to do my fenders. Voila! This guy I found named Dave who has a FB page called gtr details. Dude owns a R32 gtr so he's gotta be legit. Sho' nuff dude is pretty handy &amp; he did a way better job then the other guy who wants to be "THAT KID" who was different &amp; difficult in school because he thinks he knows it all because he owns a shop &amp; does tuning...<br />All I'm saying is help a local out if you got some info or connections around here. Post your experience along with some links to the shops whether it be for suspension, tuning, audio (if its allowed) support the local shops around here so folks like us who's trying to get on your level &amp; rep Acura. I know for damn sure the PAC NW community in here is pretty much dead besides a few who cares enough to start new threads just to keep it going...
Old 12-18-2016, 09:26 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Damn sorry to hear about your experience. I paid $160 for my rears but dude was a pro (up in Seattle). This section use to be very active 5 years ago but has died down. It would be a old source for people in the area to know where to take their car in the P.O. area .

Just glad you had the work corrected.
The following users liked this post:
Soal Man (12-14-2023)
Old 12-18-2016, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
Damn sorry to hear about your experience. I paid $160 for my rears but dude was a pro (up in Seattle). This section use to be very active 5 years ago but has died down. It would be a old source for people in the area to know where to take their car in the P.O. area .

Just glad you had the work corrected.
Kind of figured as much, but yuh it's all good. I remember you helping me out on rim size & what not. Do you still have the Works? Hmu if your willing to part with it. Been admiring your setup for a min now & would like to get some experienced advice on suspension, tuning, them small little knick knacks on lighting etc. Still a long ways to go but love seeing the results.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:03 PM
The Original Shawdy

Originally Posted by Soal Man
Kind of figured as much, but yuh it's all good. I remember you helping me out on rim size & what not. Do you still have the Works? Hmu if your willing to part with it. Been admiring your setup for a min now & would like to get some experienced advice on suspension, tuning, them small little knick knacks on lighting etc. Still a long ways to go but love seeing the results.
I try to help out everyone if its an area I am familiar with. I do still have my Work VSXX's. Ive gone back and fourth on selling them. If I keep them, I plan to rebuild them and have them mint. On the other hand, if I sell them I can use the money and put it aside towards a down on a house (which is the better option). I also have my Infinite Werks which I plan to run this season. I need to install my BBK and test fit them to see what I am working with on tire size because my DWS06's are too tall in 245/35/20 so I need to go smaller. Either 245/30/20 or 235/35/20. My tires are brand new too.

I can definitely give you advice on suspension, tuning and other mods such as lighting as I have done it all. Feel free to PM more or I can send you my number in a PM and you can text me for a faster response.

-RT
Soal Man (12-23-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Since I have time on my hands would like to add all the shops that ive been to & put my 2 cents with all the shops that I been to around the PDX area. Hope this helps for all the members out there. Like I said, if anyone out there in or around the Portland area please add the shops & let us know what your experience been like.
K&M Auto
1561 SE 122nd Ave, Portland, OR
Installed my Borla exhaust here for a great price & customer service was very good.

Todd's Point S Tire & Auto service(used to be called Todd's Tire Factory) on SE 82nd Ave. Purchased my Bf Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S here for the best price I could find online n asked if they price matched the shop owner response was yes sir! Got them the next day & lifetime wheel & balance along with tire rotation. Can't beat that. Did my alignment here before and for 59.99 it's fair.
TCT Wraps
2900 SW CORNELIUS PASS RD. SUITE 338 Hillsboro, OR
They specialize in window tinting & vehicle wraps,head light n tail light tinting which is where I got my tail lights done in Lamin x red. Couldn't do it myself because the material is Hella hard to stretch, but Tony did an excellent job. For only 60 bucks because I had my own material. Pretty fast n he did a great job cutting out the reverse lights how i wanted.
Discount Tire NE Vancouver Plaza Dr. Vancouver, WA
These guys priced matched the rims I wanted. Customer service was good, but you gotta make sure your there for the install. Got the balancing & tire rotation for all 4 wheels for 16 bucks lifetime of the rim. Only thing is the wait is super long.
Hope this helps, but I'll add more once I collect all my info.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:54 PM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
sorry I rarely check this area cause most of us moved to the facebook page I created.. anyway moving on im kinda confused by your issues cause they came up choppy not sure if you texted from your phone but trying to get a better understanding are you wanting to get your fenders rolled correctly? and are you also needing suspension parts replaced?
Soal Man (12-14-2023)
Old 01-27-2017, 12:17 AM
The Original Shawdy

Originally Posted by bluecarbonfiber
sorry I rarely check this area cause most of us moved to the facebook page I created.. anyway moving on im kinda confused by your issues cause they came up choppy not sure if you texted from your phone but trying to get a better understanding are you wanting to get your fenders rolled correctly? and are you also needing suspension parts replaced?
That sucks no one is active in this section anymore. Especially for someone who isn't on Facebook (aka me).
Old 01-27-2017, 11:40 PM
Instructor

That sucks no one is active in this section anymore. Especially for someone who isn't on Facebook (aka me).
Lmfao thought I was the only one who isn't on fedbook
The following 2 users liked this post by Soal Man:
Acura TL Builder (12-20-2017), carbonTSEX (02-01-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 10:26 AM
WTF?

feds are watching you no matter where you are at or what site you are on.. if you want to be off the grid go live in the mountains with no communication to anything.. facebook isn't going to tell them stuff they don't already know about you.. unless youre a dumb person posting your crime life online you have nothing to worry about
Old 01-30-2017, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 205 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Soal Man
Lmfao thought I was the only one who isn't on fedbook
I stay away from fedwatch too.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Everything has been taken care of as far as my fenders are concerned, but was trying to get something going for members here who might stay around the PDX and surrounding areas that might know or recommend local shops and post it up here along with their experience.
Second, yes I'm gonna need my Teins replaced but I've got that taken care of already. My main concern right now is the clunking noise I get from the fronts and now the rears, but even when I first installed the Teins they weren't as noticeable as it is now. When I first purchased the car I pointed it out to the dealership and they advised me saying that was normal but when I took it again and showed them TSB bulletin for it they said they looked at every component and nothing was wrong with it. After all that I just quit. Took it to a few shops in Cali and they don't know wth is causing it. Don't like ppl at the shops guessing at what it could be or might be, but it's either my end links/ball joints or even the control arm bushings from what I've read here. After I get my new set of Teins I'm planning to get everything replaced as far as the suspension components but wanna make sure it's the parts that needs to be replaced. Just need some advice since a lot of my associates and colleagues can't figure it out either.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:35 PM
Instructor

feds are watching you no matter where you are at or what site you are on.. if you want to be off the grid go live in the mountains with no communication to anything.. facebook isn't going to tell them stuff they don't already know about you.. unless youre a dumb person posting your crime life online you have nothing to worry about
Understood. It's just a lil humor when Asian folks say it. You know how they chop up words like their chopping up veggies
Old 02-01-2017, 03:55 PM
The Original Shawdy

It has nothing to do with the Feds. I just don't need to read or watch any of the drama that is put on Facebook. I quite after MySpace and honestly I enjoy it. I have Instagram and that's it. Only because I enjoy pictures

I don't know if you still host meets but I won't hear about them unless you post on here.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts
Setup a meet brah!
carbonTSEX (02-10-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 12:40 PM
WTF?

It has nothing to do with the Feds. I just don't need to read or watch any of the drama that is put on Facebook. I quite after MySpace and honestly I enjoy it. I have Instagram and that's it. Only because I enjoy pictures

I don't know if you still host meets but I won't hear about them unless you post on here.
next time we do a meet ill remember to post in here.. last time heeltoe did one at his place and im not sure there was even one this last year.. seems like a lot of people fell off doing meets.. maybe this summer we can do another the problem is everyone wants one close to them so they don't have to drive far..
Old 02-14-2017, 11:18 PM
The Original Shawdy

next time we do a meet ill remember to post in here.. last time heeltoe did one at his place and im not sure there was even one this last year.. seems like a lot of people fell off doing meets.. maybe this summer we can do another the problem is everyone wants one close to them so they don't have to drive far..
I hear you. I have a whole crew that I could get at least half to cruise down for the day. I made it out to one of your meets many years ago. I knew about Marcus's meet but was busy that weekend. Maybe we can get something together. The cruise to the coast we had was a fun drive.
bluecarbonfiber (02-28-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just what I was looking for, thanks! Requested to join the group. I may be picking up a low mileage 3G TL tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:27 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would be cool to get people together and do a J32a2 to J35A3 Swap!
Old 12-20-2017, 01:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
I'd be down!