New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

New...sort of

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New...sort of

What's going on everyone? I have an 04 Acura TL with 154k on it. Bought it with 90k when I worked at a dealership. I have always looked up topics and help info on this site and became a member awhile ago but never posted. I figured it was time for me to introduce myself since I have been on regularly this passed week. Getting ready to do a transmission 3x drain and fill with DW1 when I also do the oil change on Friday. I had the timing belt, water pump and new coolant done at 100k. I used to be a detailer so she is pretty clean. I just did the calipers red and put new rims and tires on. My goal is to try to make her last as long as possible since my wife recently got a 2011 Pilot for the kids and all I do is drive the TL to work. No car payment and something nice to look it when I walk away from the parking spot!

Old 03-23-2017, 08:18 AM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts
Welcome and thanks for the self-introduction and pics!

I'm also about to have the ATF in my '07 TL flushed and replaced this Fri. However, when I mentioned the 3x drain/fill procedure to my mechanic, they didn't seem to want to listen or acknowledge it.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

Hmmm I wonder why the mechanic acted that way...do you still plan on doing it? Wonder if it's necessary or if I could just get away with 1xdrain/fill
Old 03-23-2017, 12:14 PM
Race Director

My guess is that my mechanic doesn't want to be bothered. If I had my way, I'd do the 3x drain/fill--seems more thorough.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:04 PM
Cruisin'

Just wanted to give you a quick update...years ago I used to work at the Turnersville Automall ( Penske dealership ) here in South Jersey. I just went today to pick up my supplies to do the ATF drain/fill. While there, I went and talked to a few Acura techs, a few Honda techs and one of the service writers for Acura ( I know him personally ) ... I told them I was doing the drain and fill and every single one told me the same response. They do not recommend a complete flush ( machine ) and they also do not a 3x drain/fill. When I first bought my TL used with 90K I had one of the techs do a complete flush with a machine and replace with new. I was told IF THE VEHICLE HAS DECENT MILEAGE ( 100Kish ) then yes, do the 3x drain/fill. Otherwise, do the drain/fill once MAYBE twice if the ATF looks dirty. They stated if you do the 3x drain/fill when it is unneccesary all it will do is CAUSE PROBLEMS such as slipping. I also asked them about changing out the O-ring and external transmission filter which is stated in a HOW TO FORUM on Acurazine. They all told me DO NOT EVEN MESS WITH IT UNLESS YOU ARE EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WITH THE TRANSMISSION. They told me they don't even touch it when they do it at the dealership. After all said and done... I went to the dealership expecting to drop around 90$ on the supplies and only paid $29 for 4 quarts of DW1 and 2 crush washers. I will take their advice and do just 1x drain/fill and keep up on every 20-30K or sooner if it looks like it needs it. I am going to look for a thread that has more info on this and post my 2 cents and see what type of responses I get. So much for a "quick update."
Old 03-23-2017, 06:39 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by kfalisi
Just wanted to give you a quick update...years ago I used to work at the Turnersville Automall ( Penske dealership ) here in South Jersey. I just went today to pick up my supplies to do the ATF drain/fill. While there, I went and talked to a few Acura techs, a few Honda techs and one of the service writers for Acura ( I know him personally ) ... I told them I was doing the drain and fill and every single one told me the same response. They do not recommend a complete flush ( machine ) and they also do not a 3x drain/fill. When I first bought my TL used with 90K I had one of the techs do a complete flush with a machine and replace with new. I was told IF THE VEHICLE HAS DECENT MILEAGE ( 100Kish ) then yes, do the 3x drain/fill. Otherwise, do the drain/fill once MAYBE twice if the ATF looks dirty. They stated if you do the 3x drain/fill when it is unneccesary all it will do is CAUSE PROBLEMS such as slipping. I also asked them about changing out the O-ring and external transmission filter which is stated in a HOW TO FORUM on Acurazine. They all told me DO NOT EVEN MESS WITH IT UNLESS YOU ARE EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WITH THE TRANSMISSION. They told me they don't even touch it when they do it at the dealership. After all said and done... I went to the dealership expecting to drop around 90$ on the supplies and only paid $29 for 4 quarts of DW1 and 2 crush washers. I will take their advice and do just 1x drain/fill and keep up on every 20-30K or sooner if it looks like it needs it. I am going to look for a thread that has more info on this and post my 2 cents and see what type of responses I get. So much for a "quick update."
Wow. Thanks so much for this REALLY informative update and for asking around about the 3x drain/fill protocol. I had no idea, and it seems rather COUNTER-INTUITIVE to just do the 1x drain/fill as opposed to the 3x drain/fill. But I trust that those guys with whom you spoke know exactly what they're doing and talking about. I will be curious to hear the reactions you get from others on the forum who've been recommending the 3x procedure. Here's a link from way back in 2010 that I found here on AcuraZine:

DIY: Transmission Fluid Flush by 3x Drain/Fill

And another thread from 2014: DIY with pictures: Transmission Fluid Flush by 3x Drain/Fill

Last edited by nanxun; 03-23-2017 at 06:44 PM.