New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

New member in Nor Cal - 3 Acura owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 02:00 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile New member in Nor Cal - 3 Acura owner

I'm a new member and have owned an Acura since 1991.

My first new car ever was a 1991 Acura Integra RS (base model with no options whatsoever). No a/c, which was a mistake even on the central coast of California. It can get to 100 F during the summer for a few weeks. It was a red car and it was the first car I ever bought new - I think I paid $11,000 out the door. Cloth seats with no radio. Manual transmission. I drove the car about 250,000 miles until a Santa Clara County utility vehicle ran a red light and hit me. My car was totaled and had new tires. I really took care of the car and did all the services on time. That accident was in 2002.

So I bought a 2002 RSX Type S, which I still own. It now has about 135,000 miles but the SRS light recently went on and cannot be reset. I suspect it's a seatbelt issue - or I hope it is since that is covered by Honda.

A few months ago my daughter purchased a used 2005 MDX. Upon changing the battery I experienced numerous stray indicator lights on/off, on/off, randomly. Even the dash gauges would shut down temporarily and then go back to normal - randomly. And turning on the headlights would temporarily turn the radio off - I posted elsewhere how I fixed this. Pretty simple as it turned out. But as of last night, the car electrical died completely. Everything died - it was fine for a few months after fixing the stray electrical. No strange noises, no indicator lights, nothing. And it's just dead. If I cannot find a fix fast I'll have to have the car towed to the shop. There is no local Acura dealer. The old Acura dealer closed up 20 years ago and there is only a Honda dealer locally.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
I had a similar sounding problem with the SRS light in my 2003 Accord. Through trial and error, I figured out it was the driver's side buckle. It would be fine as long as the latch was inserted in the buckle before turning on the car. If the car was running and the latch was removed, the SRS light would come on until the ignition was turned off and back on.

Honda replaced it under the lifetime safety belt blabbityblah thing. I had to sign the estimate saying I'd be on the hook for whatever $200-ish it would cost if they did the diagnostic and found out that *wasn't* the issue, but that wasn't a problem as I knew for sure going in.

So I'd suspect it's probably something similar with your same era, same-ish car. Probably worth a try getting them to replace it.

Welcome!
Old 01-06-2017, 05:29 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks!

I found the fix to my dead MDX. The positive battery cable was not making a good connection. I replaced the cable and battery connecing piece. It's back to running normally.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Nice! I've found that as cars have gotten more high tech and more complex, this type of simple problems become more and more befuddling.

Great to hear it was something so simple to get back up and running.