New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

New '04 TL owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up New '04 TL owner

Hey Guys,
I just wanted to share with you how I became a TL owner. I was doing Internet searches for different cars in a specific price range when I came across a photo of the car I ended up buying. Since I had previously owned a Legend, I knew about the reliability of Acura. I searched for other cars, but this one kept growing on me. I searched for any issues this car may have and found a wealth of information. I came across this site and it was like hitting the mother lode of information about maintenance and modification. The more I read, the more this car (and all it's flaws) climbed higher on my list of possible buys. The only thing that gave it any real competition was an '04 RL for the same price. Somebody was coming for the RL at the exact same time I was coming for either the RL or TL. So, that pulled that one off my list.
I bought the TL, and it's not mint, or perfect. It has some of the issues listed on the forums, but not the trans or engine. Thanks to you guys, I was able to make a very well informed decision about purchasing this vehicle and I enjoy it a lot. For 200k+ miles, this thing still drives well. I also know what maintenance issues to address, as well as what to expect as far as price. I do most of my own maintenance repairs, so that's o big issue. This forum is AMAZING!!!
Old 01-27-2017, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good luck with your TL, I just recently bought my 04' TL and it drives better than my other 2012 impala. You gonna keep it stock or mod it up?
Old 01-27-2017, 11:59 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock or Mod

Right now, I'm focused on making certain everything is solid mechanically. I'm going to do the 3rd & 4th gear pressure switches next as a precautionary measure. Also, I'm going to find the Redline Racing ATF. I've read good reviews on it.
I may do a cold air intake to add a few HP. I've seen a lot of great stuff available for this vehicle, just read around the forum, this is a great source of info for any Acura you might own ( I think the Legend owners have their own dedicated site. They used to some years back when I owned one).
A quick wish list of mods:
Cold air intake
Nexus 7 in dash setup
Angel Eye DRL
'07 side view mirrors (w/signals)
'07-'08 taillights
Alcantra seat inserts
Tinted windows

Nothing too aggressive for now. But believe me, I've seen some really nice cars here, and I'm definitely loving the options this car gives me.