New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

FreshMeat from St louis - 2005 TL-S 6MT Blue Abyss

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile FreshMeat from St louis - 2005 TL-S 6MT Blue Abyss

Hey all, thanks for having me. You can call me Mac. Just got my first Acura (in Dec actually), first foreign car as well. I've owned GM and Ford my whole life, but in recent years I've grown very fond of Japanese engineering so I figured I'd sort of gravitate there when doing my search for a new used car.
When I started looking last Nov. I was considering just about anything that was known "reliable" and that I could do DIY service on. I'm in my late 30's now so some aspects of my life have changed obviously. One of those aspects is that I'm a bit frugal I can't stand paying someone else for something that I can do myself for either free or a greatly reduced price. I do a lot of reading and research and must always be a thinker as I plan my days and future endeavors.

Anyway, back to the car. I checked out everything and realized how difficult most European cars were to service and repair. I was also tired of how cheap American cars looked and sounded. The word "rickety" always comes to mind when I think of most of the cars I've owned after 100k. I was checking out Lexus and Infiniti at first, the Lexus i series is still something I may get into one day. And obviously the G series Infinity shoulda woulda coulda been a contender, if they weren't either dogged or priced so dang high.
I ended up on a list of Acura's and saw the TL. There weren't too many that showed up since I wanted a stick. The first one that I landed on was actually the one I ended up buying. Everything just fit. The thing that blew my mind about the TL, and the main reason I chose it and dropped everything else in the running, was just how DIY friendly the car is. It's got weekend warrior written all over it. I fell in love with it day one flaws and all (it wasn't abused but it needed some repairs and service). Also there is some nasty road rash on the hood and front bumper.

I bought it with 111k miles and the 105k had not been done yet. I've purchased a timing belt/water pump kit and serpentine belt which is ready to go. It also needed LCA bushings on both sides so I have those ready too. I'm waiting on a little warmer weather to show up before I install everything. Also, the hands free was disabled by Acura due to the battery drain issue (which kinda sucks because I was looking forward to that). I'm probably going to order a replacement module for it later on simply because I need the added convenience of it for my job (is there a permanent fix out there?). I've also got OE plugs and while I'm in there I'll be checking the valve clearance as well (be my first time but I think I'll be ok)
I've noticed one issue that I'm not sure of yet but when I start the car there is a harshness felt in the engine ignition as it turns over. I'm thinking it might be the side and/or front mounts but I'll have to get a closer look to know for sure. Anyway, I'm really loving the car and I'm looking forward to getting the repairs and service done so I can get out there and just drive. I'm also hoping to meet some of you and get to know ya'll better. It feels like this community is pretty tight so that's awesome. I guess I'll be in 3G a lot more than most other forum areas but I am always happy to help and hang out anywhere.

Best wishes to everyone and looking forward to some great discussions!
Attached Thumbnails FreshMeat from St louis - 2005 TL-S 6MT Blue Abyss-img_3880.jpg   FreshMeat from St louis - 2005 TL-S 6MT Blue Abyss-img_3881.jpg   FreshMeat from St louis - 2005 TL-S 6MT Blue Abyss-img_3882.jpg   FreshMeat from St louis - 2005 TL-S 6MT Blue Abyss-img_3884.jpg   FreshMeat from St louis - 2005 TL-S 6MT Blue Abyss-img_3885.jpg  

FreshMeat from St louis - 2005 TL-S 6MT Blue Abyss-img_3886.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Hi Mac!

You mentioned the 3G TL forum already so that's good. There is a wealth of knowledge there and probably any question you have has been discussed (multiple times) before. I know specifically that there is a mega thread on the DIY 105k service that you might appreciate, and the HFL module has been addressed before. Sounds like you're heading down the right path.

Welcome, and happy motoring!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Awesome mac and welcome! I wish I had gotten a 6MT but in the end it's fine for now since the ladies in my life can still use my car if needed (mother, GF, etc.)

One of my best buddies lives in STL and I do visit there a handful of times a year so I'll keep an eye out for your TL!