New Member Introductions Welcome! Please introduce yourselves here, BUT ASK FOR HELP IN THE TECHNICAL FORUMS

First time Honda owner- 2006 TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time Honda owner- 2006 TL

I just took ownership of a 2006 6MT TL yesterday. This is the first Honda product I have ever owned and so far I think I will be very happy with it. It will be replacing my 2003 VW GTI as my daily driver. I wanted something that could handle well, be relatively quick, and return good fuel economy. Oh yeah, and be reliable... My GTI is starting to become a rattle trap and money pit @ 150k miles, not to mention I am just getting bored of the car in general.

I was actually looking into 8th gen and 9th gen Civic SIs when I ran across the ad for the TL... Long story short, I went to test drive it and I nearly fell in love. This car has 128k on the clock, but it was a one owner car that someone really took care of. The interior is nearly mint, with the exception of some wear on the driver's seat left bolster, but no rips, tears or stains. It's definitely not as quick as the GTI(and yes, I understand this is a midsize sedan not a sport compact), especially from a dig, but overall is a much nicer car! Much more enjoyable to drive around town with crappy Tucson roads, and a lot quieter on the highway.

I bought this from a dealer and they claim to have recently done a timing belt/water pump and a clutch job. I do all of my own maintenance so hopefully I wont need to do much for the next 60-100k miles

The only issue I have with the car so far is the clutch... It bites really hard and is pretty difficult to modulate engagement. I'm sure I will eventually get used to it, but it seems really aggressive compared to my GTI and F250.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:15 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Similar situation for me

I read your post and thought I'd reply because I just bought an '06 6MT TL last night! Also from a dealer who told me that the previous owner also recently changed the Timing belt. The dealer also replaced an engine mount and all the brakes. Car has newer tires too. This one has 106K on the clock and is also in great shape.

I have owned a couple of Preludes before, but old, old ones. This car is replacing my '05 Focus hatch. That one had 135K on the clock and it seemed like it was only a matter of time before something major broke. Plus, the wife and kids hated riding in the thing. I'm hoping this TL will prove to be a reliable, comfortable, and fun daily driver. So far, the kids like it.

Interesting you mention that the clutch bites so hard. I feel like it's really easy to drive and smooth. I also drove a '10 Cadillac CTS and I never felt comfortable with that clutch and transmission. I was almost immediately comfortable driving the TL, which is a big reason I went for it.

What color is your car? Mine is Anthracite Metallic (Dark Gray).

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Sounds like our cars and experiences are very similar.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the TL is the hardest clutch to master.
I've never had an automatic car...and when I bought the 6MT TL, I had major buyers remorse cuz i couldnt master the clutch... EVENTUALLY i got it, but it took a lot longer than a day.
very inconsistent engagement point.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:16 AM
Gumball Rally Special

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Let's see some pictures of your rides fellas!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:36 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only have the pictures from the dealer, although, I should probably take some pictures before it gets dirty!

For some reason all the pictures they took are mirrored. It's not RHD.

The following users liked this post:
Lie-Low (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
We have the same car OP lol. I've been driving my 93 accord and 06 TL, switching off here and there. Each time I get into a different car, I have to adapt all over again. But I definitely have a hard time driving the TL also. I've been driving about 2 weeks with the TL. But because its harder to drive, I actually find it challenging and wanting to drive it more each day.
Car looks super clean btw! I'm sure in time, all us new owners will learn to drive it
Old 02-04-2017, 01:46 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my color is called alabaster silver metallic. I don't have any of my own photos yet either, but here are some from the dealer's ad:

Next thing I need to do is start a HQ audio collection so I take advantage of the DVD head unit! I was thinking about upconverting some of my MP3s but I may as well just add an aux input.
I've only put about 80 miles on the car so far, but I will be putting about 270 on it this weekend for my work commute. I'm looking forward to it!
Old 02-08-2017, 08:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 646 Likes on 348 Posts
For the mileage on these TL's they are in tremendous shape. Congratulations fellas