New England Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island & Vermont

Dealers price for timing belt change???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 122 Posts
Dealers price for timing belt change???

Hey guys, so I got a quote at a Acura dealer for the timing belt service for my 2005 RL and just wanted to know if you think it's a fair deal. So I found a timing belt kit on eBay from Aisin( which I believe is the oem water pump supplier) that includes water pump with gasket, timing belt, idler bearing, tensioner bearing and the serpentine belt for $200 shipped. So then I called the Acura dealer which I usually go to and asked them how much would they charge to change it all if I supply my own stuff. They came back with saying that it is a 6 hour job and it would be $650 plus tax and coolant to do it. So I would like to know if you guys think it's a pretty good deal or no?

I'm in the Waterbury area of CT, so if anyone knows a Acura tech that is willing to make some money on the side, please let me know
Old 09-21-2015, 08:31 PM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Not sure if you ended up getting this done or not, but call that dealer back and ask them how much the job would be if they needed to supply all of the parts as well. That should give you a decent idea of whether or not that's a decent "deal."

I've done timing belt jobs myself in the past... Not a whole lot of fun and they take quite a while. I can tell you for fact that there's NO WAY that job will actually take them six hours to complete. However... They are quoting you based on the "book time" that it says to complete. You might be able to get them to charge you based on actual time, but you'll definitely pay a higher per-hour rate as a result.

The only Honda / Acura -specific shop I know of is definitely NOT one I would send you to. And the guy there that I sorta kinda know a little is not someone I would trust to work on my cars "on the side."

Have you considered calling the voc-tech schools in your area and seeing if they would be interested in doing the job on your car as part of a class?
Old 09-22-2015, 02:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by meburdick
Not sure if you ended up getting this done or not, but call that dealer back and ask them how much the job would be if they needed to supply all of the parts as well. That should give you a decent idea of whether or not that's a decent "deal."

I've done timing belt jobs myself in the past... Not a whole lot of fun and they take quite a while. I can tell you for fact that there's NO WAY that job will actually take them six hours to complete. However... They are quoting you based on the "book time" that it says to complete. You might be able to get them to charge you based on actual time, but you'll definitely pay a higher per-hour rate as a result.

The only Honda / Acura -specific shop I know of is definitely NOT one I would send you to. And the guy there that I sorta kinda know a little is not someone I would trust to work on my cars "on the side."

Have you considered calling the voc-tech schools in your area and seeing if they would be interested in doing the job on your car as part of a class?
Hi there, yes I actually did get everything done. I found a acura tech to do it on the side for $300. He did a great job and he also changed my rear diff fluid and transfer case fluid. So from now on, I found my new mechanic
Old 12-29-2015, 09:03 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
If you found someone good in CT who would like more work, please let me know his name and contact info. I'm in Vermont and haven't found anyone here or in Massachusetts.

Thank you,
Jon
Old 12-31-2015, 05:37 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by VT Skier
If you found someone good in CT who would like more work, please let me know his name and contact info. I'm in Vermont and haven't found anyone here or in Massachusetts.

Thank you,
Jon
Jon -

I have found and used a Honda / Toyota tech on the MA / RI border and used him multiple times. He is always looking for jobs on the side. He has worked at both Honda and Toyota dealers and is still at a Honda dealer today. Over and above his experience, he is a solid, honest and good guy. You should give him a call, you won't be disappointed by his rates!! You can contact him as follows:

His name is Nick and his email is nmagz28@aol.com or if you would prefer to call or text him, his contact number is (401) 330-0535. You can tell him Rob referred you.

Last edited by NBP04TL4ME; 12-31-2015 at 05:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bluetl04 (01-01-2016)