Formula One: 2015 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:50 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
The entire race in the video below, if you don't mind the edit that bypasses the youtube rules. It appears Lewis lost his concentration while seeing, once again, another two cars beat him with their launch and power at the start. Something he needs to practice starting from 2nd or 3rd perhaps?

Formula 1 2015 Round 10 Hungary Race Full - YouTube
I don't understand how they are able to bypass the take down police with that video, but thanks for sharing! So much better than the NBC coverage.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:31 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Originally Posted by F-C
That's the craziest race this year. I think this race will be the biggest factor in Hamilton retaining his championship. Hamilton had his worst race ever, and he still gained points on Rosberg.

I loved Ricciardo's desperation pass on Rosberg, but I felt he should have been penalized for causing the contact. Ricciardo made the move, so it was up to him to make sure there was no contact as a result.
He made the move and stayed as far outside on the track as he could. There was no reason for Rosberg to drift that far out. I believe it was Rosbergs fault or a racing incident as it was deemed.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:34 AM

I wish we could get the Sky Sports or BBC feed in the US. NBC coverage is terrible.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:39 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
He made the move and stayed as far outside on the track as he could. There was no reason for Rosberg to drift that far out. I believe it was Rosbergs fault or a racing incident as it was deemed.
Don't agree. Rosberg wasn't drifting, he was taking the normal line. Ricciardo had the responsibility to make a clean pass as he was taking an irregular line. Like I said, I don't fault Ricciardo for the attempt, but he needed to make it clean, and he didn't.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,860 Likes on 3,480 Posts
Old 07-27-2015, 01:38 PM

Drifted might have been the wrong word choice. It seems he took the turn wide though with the attention to try and block or scare Ricciardo into braking or letting off the gas a bit.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:05 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
I wish we could get the Sky Sports or BBC feed in the US. NBC coverage is terrible.
Try one of these... Formula One Live Stream | MotoGp Live Stream (also get adblocker for google's chrome browser).
Old 07-27-2015, 02:10 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by F-C
I don't understand how they are able to bypass the take down police with that video, but thanks for sharing! So much better than the NBC coverage.
Apparently the "law" says that if a video is manipulated enough to become of significant less quality then its OK to do whatever you want with it. So if you paint the Mona Lisa and make her look like Donald Trump, well, you will be just fine

PS. Ricciardo was racing, Rosberg wasn't expecting that! Its that simple.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:36 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tonyware
Apparently the "law" says that if a video is manipulated enough to become of significant less quality then its OK to do whatever you want with it. So if you paint the Mona Lisa and make her look like Donald Trump, well, you will be just fine
Is that for real? Seem like a dubious loophole. If that's the case, shouldn't we be able to find the latest Hollywood movies on YouTube in similar fashion?
Old 07-27-2015, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^ I'm thinking of a "Seinfeld" episode . . .
Old 07-29-2015, 06:38 AM

Full Formula 1 fan survey results revealed - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com
Old 07-29-2015, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Well, Spa has always been on my bucket list, ditto Silverstone, need those 2 to complete the top 5.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

(Clutch) Biting Point rules

Gonna be interesting in Spa in the run down to La Source:

Teams have been issued a technical directive in relation to driver aids and coaching ahead of the Belgian GP, Matt Somerfield gives us his view.

The Strategy Group met before Silverstone in order to offer their suggestions for regulatory change going forward:

"Increased restrictions on driver aids and coaching received unanimous support and will be rapidly implemented, starting from this year's Belgian Grand Prix - with a particular emphasis on race starts – and in 2016. These measures will bring back the driver in full control of the car, enhancing races excitement and unpredictability."

However, the wheels had already been set in motion in Austria when Charlie Whiting issued a revised set of Event Notes, prohibiting drivers from completing practice starts at pit exit, instead offering the chance to complete a single practice start on the grid after each practice session. Furthermore, to prohibit practice starts, bite point checks and burn outs drivers can only leave for a session directly from the garage and not their pit stop position.

Given the revised event notes were only received by the teams on Saturday the usual procedures had been followed by the teams during Free Practice 1 and 2, giving them a pool of data, if not as large as usual, to work from. Although, the first sign of this 'unpredictability' that the Strategy Group had talked about in their statement came to fruition at the race start as Lewis Hamilton had a poor getaway allowing his team mate into the lead.

Fast forward to the British GP and the Silver Arrows once again locked out the front row, however, with the new practice start protocols in place they got mobbed by the two fast starting Williams off the grid. Remember the teams had even less data to work with for Silverstone, as both FP1 and FP2 were under the new restrictions. Add to this the fact the grid surface at Silverstone is extremely low grip when compared to other circuits and you have a cocktail for jeopardy.

This played out further down the grid too with Nico Hulkenberg storming up into 5th place having started 9th and Perez climbing from 11th to 8th, showing that some teams still managed to get things right, whilst others simply went the wrong way in terms of their clutch/launch setups.

Changes for the Belgian GP

The teams have now been issued a technical directive in relation to the expected changes for the Belgian GP which continues to make life difficult for the engineers and firmly put the race start back in the hands of the driver.

The driver must have the bite point finder button, switch or rotary disabled with the driver unable to change the clutch bite point from the moment the driver exits the garage until such point the race start lockout procedure is disabled (90 seconds from lights out).

Furthermore, in a clamp down on communication between the driver and pit wall, only critical information can be shared with the driver on the reconnaissance and formation laps, such as: critical information about the car, tyres and damage, issues with competitor’s cars, marshalling information such as flags, aborted starts etc, information relating to track issues such as debris, oil etc and lastly any changes to the grid that may have occurred prior to the formation lap.

These changes will clearly add some spice to the race starts, with drivers having to more carefully modulate the revs against the perceived clutch bite point, rather than them and an engineer selecting a best fit solution for the launch. This will most certainly put an emphasis on the post practice session grid starts that the FIA are now allowing instead of the pit-lane starts, as not only does it reduce the driver to one bite point find per session, rather than perhaps the 3-4 per session they'd have normally conducted at pit exit, it also means being involved at the end of a session is critical.

There will be some drivers in the early phase of this rule change who will have an advantage over others, with the way their operating systems and processes work conducive to the new regulations. However, as time goes by the drivers and engineers will refine their processes, not to the point where we were at, but lessening the challenge of the launch off the grid.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:06 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Well, Spa has always been on my bucket list, ditto Silverstone, need those 2 to complete the top 5.

Hmmm, I'm surprised Canada is so high up. It's a great track, but I wouldn't put it in the top five. Also, lack of any disclosure of the survey's methodology lets me to believe that this is heavily skewed to British and also English speaking countries. That's why Hamilton is the favorite driver.

Anyway, I'm normally pretty suspicious of surveys.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:12 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Gonna be interesting in Spa in the run down to La Source:

Teams have been issued a technical directive in relation to driver aids and coaching ahead of the Belgian GP, Matt Somerfield gives us his view.

The Strategy Group met before Silverstone in order to offer their suggestions for regulatory change going forward:

"Increased restrictions on driver aids and coaching received unanimous support and will be rapidly implemented, starting from this year's Belgian Grand Prix - with a particular emphasis on race starts – and in 2016. These measures will bring back the driver in full control of the car, enhancing races excitement and unpredictability."

However, the wheels had already been set in motion in Austria when Charlie Whiting issued a revised set of Event Notes, prohibiting drivers from completing practice starts at pit exit, instead offering the chance to complete a single practice start on the grid after each practice session. Furthermore, to prohibit practice starts, bite point checks and burn outs drivers can only leave for a session directly from the garage and not their pit stop position.

Given the revised event notes were only received by the teams on Saturday the usual procedures had been followed by the teams during Free Practice 1 and 2, giving them a pool of data, if not as large as usual, to work from. Although, the first sign of this 'unpredictability' that the Strategy Group had talked about in their statement came to fruition at the race start as Lewis Hamilton had a poor getaway allowing his team mate into the lead.

Fast forward to the British GP and the Silver Arrows once again locked out the front row, however, with the new practice start protocols in place they got mobbed by the two fast starting Williams off the grid. Remember the teams had even less data to work with for Silverstone, as both FP1 and FP2 were under the new restrictions. Add to this the fact the grid surface at Silverstone is extremely low grip when compared to other circuits and you have a cocktail for jeopardy.

This played out further down the grid too with Nico Hulkenberg storming up into 5th place having started 9th and Perez climbing from 11th to 8th, showing that some teams still managed to get things right, whilst others simply went the wrong way in terms of their clutch/launch setups.

Changes for the Belgian GP

The teams have now been issued a technical directive in relation to the expected changes for the Belgian GP which continues to make life difficult for the engineers and firmly put the race start back in the hands of the driver.

The driver must have the bite point finder button, switch or rotary disabled with the driver unable to change the clutch bite point from the moment the driver exits the garage until such point the race start lockout procedure is disabled (90 seconds from lights out).

Furthermore, in a clamp down on communication between the driver and pit wall, only critical information can be shared with the driver on the reconnaissance and formation laps, such as: critical information about the car, tyres and damage, issues with competitor’s cars, marshalling information such as flags, aborted starts etc, information relating to track issues such as debris, oil etc and lastly any changes to the grid that may have occurred prior to the formation lap.

These changes will clearly add some spice to the race starts, with drivers having to more carefully modulate the revs against the perceived clutch bite point, rather than them and an engineer selecting a best fit solution for the launch. This will most certainly put an emphasis on the post practice session grid starts that the FIA are now allowing instead of the pit-lane starts, as not only does it reduce the driver to one bite point find per session, rather than perhaps the 3-4 per session they'd have normally conducted at pit exit, it also means being involved at the end of a session is critical.

There will be some drivers in the early phase of this rule change who will have an advantage over others, with the way their operating systems and processes work conducive to the new regulations. However, as time goes by the drivers and engineers will refine their processes, not to the point where we were at, but lessening the challenge of the launch off the grid.
Very interesting. Hamilton mentioned this after the race and he was very worried. Anything to spice up this season!

I'm really surprised that Rosberg wasn't able to keep up with the Ferraris for the first half of the race.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:54 AM

I would like to do the US, Canada, and Belgian GP in the next few years. I have a really close family friend that lives in Belgium so hoping to do a trip over to visit and then go to the race in the next 3 years or so. Definitely one of my favorite tracks since I started watching.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:59 AM

I kind of have a feeling the new start rule might be an advantage to Vettel early on. He seems to almost always have good starts.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

I would like to do the US, Canada, and Belgian GP in the next few years. I have a really close family friend that lives in Belgium so hoping to do a trip over to visit and then go to the race in the next 3 years or so. Definitely one of my favorite tracks since I started watching.
I could see doing Spa within the next 3 years definitely. I've always wanted to see Suzuka too.

I kind of have a feeling the new start rule might be an advantage to Vettel early on. He seems to almost always have good starts.
Vettel, Hulkenberg, Bottas and Massa. Hulkenberg gained 5 places at the start if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by Chief F1 Fan; 07-29-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
Monaco, Spa, USA, Japan

Probably my top 4. Monaco #1 for sure.
USA easiest, since it's 4 hours from my house.
USA & Spa tie for 2nd, Japan 4th.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:13 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I've been to or near Sao Paulo and Hockenheim on the day of the race and didn't go to the GP. So yeah, I probably missed my chance on those two.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^ you suck. Slap yourself senseless please.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:10 AM

Why would you do that to yourself?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:07 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Monaco, Spa, USA, Japan

Probably my top 4. Monaco #1 for sure.
USA easiest, since it's 4 hours from my house.
USA & Spa tie for 2nd, Japan 4th.
God, we're so lucky to have that track in Austin. People were so deadset against building it, but it's a great venue and it's not in the way of everyday operations in the city.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:31 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Talking

Originally Posted by F-C
Hmmm, I'm surprised Canada is so high up. It's a great track, but I wouldn't put it in the top five. Also, lack of any disclosure of the survey's methodology lets me to believe that this is heavily skewed to British and also English speaking countries. That's why Hamilton is the favorite driver.

Anyway, I'm normally pretty suspicious of surveys.
Yes I am surprised too, or maybe not. I see why this is happening... its not the track or the facilities but the... women! LOL.

PS. Sadly F1 is still (in 2015) a very sexists sport.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

It's all about the atmosphere. In Canada, Montreal turns itself inside out to entertain F1 fans and they do a damn good job at it. The festivities have evolved so much since I started attending in 1989, all for the better. Monza is just full of people that are uber stoked to be at the race. In 98 when we went, Ferrari (Schu/Irvine) came in 1st and 2nd. It was the like the Second Coming of Christ, church bells were ringing, fireworks were going off and old ladies were waving flags from balconies. It was absolutely incredible. Not only that but the huge "Cavallino" flag was in our grandstand and was paraded down the front straight by about 200 people. Monaco? Well, it is the crown jewel and they do one helluva job putting on a race in such tight confines. Besides, it's Monte Carlo full of yachts, Rollers, and helicopters after all, what can be wrong?
Old 08-02-2015, 06:25 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
F1 mid-season report: From Mercedes to McLaren & Manor

BBC Sport - F1 mid-season report: From Mercedes to McLaren & Manor

good review, IMO the two most impressive drivers first half of season have been Vettel and Verstappen
Old 08-02-2015, 08:55 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
BBC Sport - F1 mid-season report: From Mercedes to McLaren & Manor

good review, IMO the two most impressive drivers first half of season have been Vettel and Verstappen
How can anyone tell if the McLaren is a good chassis?
Old 08-03-2015, 01:39 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Excellent question.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Driver's comments about the car
Analyst's opinions based on car behaviour on track and data analysis (ex cornering speed - https://www.formula1.com/content/fom...cornering.html)
Performance on high-downforce, less power dependant circuits vs low downforce, more power dependant circuits
wet vs dry performance relative to competitors

Last edited by West6MT; 08-03-2015 at 03:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 10:57 AM
AZ Community Team

Alonso lauds ‘beautifully balanced’ McLaren

^

F1 News - Alonso lauds ?beautifully balanced? McLaren
Old 08-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Alonso's unfounded optimism surely cannot last another season @ McLaren. What a tremendous waste of talent.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Alonso's unfounded optimism surely cannot last another season @ McLaren. What a tremendous waste of talent.
This ^^

He needs to be in a car that he can battle for wins in.

They are going to be nowhere at both Spa and Monza. Plus all of the testing bans etc for next season are going to make things even worse for them. If they're not reasonably competitive by the end of the season, next season is going to be like this one. There just wont be enough testing to make up the ground required.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:45 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Not sure if this belongs in this thread but what the heck...

In case you want to participate in an "open source" F1 car design:

PERRINN | WE ARE A TEAM
Old 08-05-2015, 07:05 AM
AZ Community Team

Honda: We didn’t imagine F1 comeback to be so hard

F1 News - Honda: We didn?t imagine F1 comeback to be so hard

understatement of the year
Old 08-05-2015, 08:17 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

And it wasn't hard the last time?
Old 08-06-2015, 05:19 AM
2G TLX-S

It's sad that Honda had been away from the F1 business for far too long to lose touch of the reality.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:32 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
It's sad that Honda had been away from the F1 business for far too long to lose touch of the reality.
Too long? Honda was only away for five years.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:29 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Button robbed

Bizarro

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2541708-jenson-button-and-wife-gassed-robbed-of-300k-worth-of-belongings?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral& utm_campaign=editorial

Why didn't the robbers just rob the place when he was on vacation?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:29 AM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by F-C
Too long? Honda was only away for five years.
Exactly.

Only a mere five-year, but Honda is stumping hard with the new engine formula, as if it had been away from F1 for decades.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
Bizarro

Jenson Button and Wife Gassed, Robbed of £300K Worth of Belongings | Bleacher Report

Why didn't the robbers just rob the place when he was on vacation?
Gas to ensure the victims don't wake up in the middle of the heist?

Quick Reply: Formula One: 2015 Season News and Discussion Thread