Formula One: 2014 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
1st run of McLaren-Honda

McLaren-Honda F1 car
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
00TL-P3.2 (11-14-2014), Ken1997TL (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,860 Likes on 3,480 Posts
!!
Old 11-14-2014, 12:17 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
It's happening. Surprised that they didn't use a special livery.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,134 Likes on 4,804 Posts

Any sound clips out there?
Old 11-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
I'm going to be hitting the refresh button on my browser, once the season is over, repeatedly trying to get McLaren-Honda merchandise.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by civicdrivr

Listen To The Sound Of Honda?s 2015 F1 Engine - WTF1
The following users liked this post:
civicdrivr (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 04:03 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Old coot says F1 is only for old coots

Formula 1 should not be chasing a younger generation of fans as they are the wrong target for the sport's sponsors, claims F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone.

After a year when F1 has been asking itself why television audiences are in decline, Ecclestone has suggested that a push to embrace a younger fanbase via social media would be wasted. In an interview with Campaign Asia-Pacific, Ecclestone says youngsters are of no value to F1.

"I'm not interested in tweeting, Facebook and whatever this nonsense is," said Ecclestone in the interview, where he talks about F1's financial problems and the future direction of the sport. "I tried to find out but in any case I'm too old-fashioned. I couldn't see any value in it. And, I don't know what the so-called 'young generation' of today really wants. What is it?"

Asked if he believed there was no value in attracting a young audience, Ecclestone said: "If you have a brand that you want to put in front of a few hundred million people, I can do that easily for you on television. Now, you're telling me I need to find a channel to get this 15-year-old to watch Formula 1 because somebody wants to put out a new brand in front of them? They are not going to be interested in the slightest bit.

"Young kids will see the Rolex brand, but are they going to go and buy one? They can't afford it. Or our other sponsor, UBS – these kids don't care about banking. They haven't got enough money to put in the bloody banks anyway.
"That's what I think. I don't know why people want to get to the so-called 'young generation.' Why do they want to do that? Is it to sell them something? Most of these kids haven't got any money.

"I'd rather get to the 70-year-old guy who's got plenty of cash. So, there's no point trying to reach these kids because they won't buy any of the products here and if marketers are aiming at this audience, then maybe they should advertise with Disney."
Are you kidding me? If this was spoken by any other CEO, they would have been fired, yet CVC is still sticking to him. I'm sure the sponsors are thrilled at Bernie for saying this, especially Red Bull.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Bernie is getting fucking crazier and crazier. I've been an F1 fan since I was a kid- that "kid" grew up from Timex's to a drawer full of TAGs, Baume & Merciers, and a Tudor. Of course I couldn't afford that shit when I was 9. What the hell is he thinking? Oh yeah, and I became a lifelong F1 fanatic too that spends a lot of money each year going to his races so Bernie

Old 11-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Bernie has clearly lost it, the path to a rich fan base starts with youngsters. That's how I got into it, and the few people around me that I can actually chat F1 with got into it the same way. IF they don't get them young its much harder to get them later in life. I've tried introducing adults to f1 but the stick rate is super low.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I'm going to be hitting the refresh button on my browser, once the season is over, repeatedly trying to get McLaren-Honda merchandise.

I had the same plan...until recently. I just can't get behind the way the team is handling their driver lineup. Not sure if I'd even be rooting for them in 2015, depending on how things pan out.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

You're obviously a new fan bc this kinda shit has been going on since the sport began. Come down off your high moral horse and enjoy the results next year. All the top teams are ruthless, hence Dennis' comment to another new F1 boss "welcome to the piranha club."
Old 11-14-2014, 10:14 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I guess from his perspective, Bernie is only concerned with the here and now since he's already 84. So what do he care about the long term success of the sport? This is like the crooks on Wall Street that is only thinking about short term returns. CVC had the perfect opportunity to get rid of Bernie with the bribery case, but they let it slip. Oh wait, CVC is run by Wall Street crooks.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Take a ride in an F12 with Kimi around Fiorano

Watch Kimi drift an F12 round Fiorano - BBC Top Gear
Old 11-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by civicdrivr

This one is better than the original I posted

Honda F1 2015 engine noise: Car manufacturer releases sound video of new car - Mirror Online
Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
You're obviously a new fan bc this kinda shit has been going on since the sport began. Come down off your high moral horse and enjoy the results next year. All the top teams are ruthless, hence Dennis' comment to another new F1 boss "welcome to the piranha club."

Oh I will enjoy the racing, regardless.

Been a fan long enough to know it's part of the game and that it's "just business". Doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:16 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by F-C
Are you kidding me? If this was spoken by any other CEO, they would have been fired, yet CVC is still sticking to him. I'm sure the sponsors are thrilled at Bernie for saying this, especially Red Bull.

Bernie is getting fucking crazier and crazier. I've been an F1 fan since I was a kid- that "kid" grew up from Timex's to a drawer full of TAGs, Baume & Merciers, and a Tudor. Of course I couldn't afford that shit when I was 9. What the hell is he thinking? Oh yeah, and I became a lifelong F1 fanatic too that spends a lot of money each year going to his races so Bernie

I can't stand Bernie, it's really what's best for Bernie and then F1 as a afterthought.

Originally Posted by The Dougler
Bernie has clearly lost it, the path to a rich fan base starts with youngsters. That's how I got into it, and the few people around me that I can actually chat F1 with got into it the same way. IF they don't get them young its much harder to get them later in life. I've tried introducing adults to f1 but the stick rate is super low.
What bothers me the most is Bernie forgets when less than a decade ago BMW, Toyota, and Honda all withdrew from F1. The F1 privateers are the teams that have made more contributions to the sport. It annoys me to no end that Ferrari get 80M pound per year per the arrangement, no matter how their performance.
civicdrivr (11-17-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 03:20 PM
AZ Community Team

McLaren delay decision over Button and Magnussen

BBC Sport - McLaren delay decision over Button and Magnussen

Pretty amazing since McLaren signed Alonso for 2007 in December of 2005.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-18-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:52 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed that he helped out Caterham in their bid to race in the season finale in Abu Dhabi.

Caterham went into administration in the run-up to the United States Grand Prix, but the team turned to crowdfunding to raise £2,350,000 that would allow them to contest the final race.

The Leafield squad's administrator Finbarr O'Connell confirmed on Friday that "fans have made the impossible possible" and their freight have been transported to the Yas Marina Circuit.

F1 surpremo Ecclestone has now also revealed that he helped them out.

"They wanted to go, so we've transported them at no cost to them," he told Press Association Sport.

"We've at least helped them to some degree, something we need not have done. We've even chartered another plane to take them.

"We've gone a little bit over the top, but anyway, we've done it."
Awww, bless his heart.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 5,292 Likes on 3,626 Posts
But no similar outreach to Marussia? Except they've closed their doors...
Old 11-20-2014, 06:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Bianchi is out of his induced coma and has been transferred to a hospital in France. An unconfirmed report states quoting a paraplegic in a wheelchair that Schumacher is now paralyzed "just like me." The guy being quoted is a former F1 driver who supposedly saw Schumi. Like I said, unconfirmed.

EDIT: here's the article, just found it. http://thisisf1.com/2014/11/20/bianc...abled-streiff/

Last edited by Chief F1 Fan; 11-20-2014 at 07:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chief F1 Fan:
00TL-P3.2 (11-20-2014), civicdrivr (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Ferrari and Alonso finally confirm split

Worst. Kept. Secret. Ever.

Ferrari and Fernando Alonso finally confirm F1 split by 'common consent' | Formula 1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

While Vettel confirms joining the Scuderia on a 3 year deal: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/211132/...m_campaign=rss
civicdrivr (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 08:14 AM

Glad to hear some good news on Bianchi, hoping he makes a quick recovery.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:30 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Boo. Now I have to find someone new to root for next year.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator

seriously? Your driver moves to another team and you discard him? That's harsh yo
Old 11-20-2014, 12:38 PM

Aman (11-23-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 01:23 PM
AZ Community Team

How Formula One Actually Works: A Guide For Confused Americans

How Formula One Actually Works: A Guide For Confused Americans

Sad but very true

Cricket is considered to be the most impenetrable game for non-Englishmen to comprehend. Being English I cannot understand why foreigners might struggle to grasp the appeal of sitting on a wooden bench and watching 22 men occasionally move on-and-off a large field for five days, but believe me when I tell you that a cogent explanation of the rules of cricket is the matter of a few moments compared to an understanding of Formula One.

So here, my American friends, is how Formula One works. Well, here’s how I see it working.

At the outset, we need to refine the nomenclature of F1 – Formula One is not a sport, it is a business. To be a sport it would need to be wholly owned by a business or parent company that existed purely, or at least in the most part to act in the interests of the sport itself and the teams themselves. That is not the case in Formula One. Formula One is owned by a company called CVC, a company that reports to shareholders and whose duty it is to return as much profit to those shareholders as possible.

Bernie bought 100 years rights for about $300 million, which to build a simplistic corporate analogy is like walking into a Chevy showroom and not only offering $25 for a new Camaro Z28, but sealing the deal, too.

Most sports are owned by some organisation or promoter, many have shareholders, and most retain a good percentage of the profits generated by the activities of the ‘sport’ they own, but few retain the same percentage of those profits as CVC.

CVC purchased the F1 business from a man called Bernie Ecclestone – you might have heard of him. He’s a small, approximately 300-year-old dude with deal-making skills that could have ended the Cold War in two hours and a dollop of Beef Stroganof. How did he manage to sell a sport? Because he had bought the rights to televise the sport – back then a very large percentage of the revenue the sport could generate – from motorsport’s global governing body, the FIA. The FIA has no jurisdiction in the USA, a fact that should make you ever prouder come the 4th July.

Now as luck would have it, back in 2000 the chap selling the TV rights to Formula One was one of Bernie’s good pals, Max Mosely, a man who, in 2008, perfectly defined the difference in meaning between the words famous and infamous. Bernie bought 100 years rights for about $300 million, which to build a simplistic corporate analogy is like walking into a Chevy showroom and not only offering $25 for a new Camaro Z28, but sealing the deal, too.

Given that he already owned Formula One Management, the company that negotiated the deals with all the circuits on the calendar, and the advertising real-estate and the ability to sell corporate hospitality, and the logistics business that ships all the F1 clutter around the globe, you can understand why he managed to accrue a few pennies.

He reached this unassailable position by manipulating and playing the characters and egos of the established team-leaders in the ‘sport’. As they failed to separate on-track rivalry with the collective need to protect the business of Formula One, and their ownership of it, Bernie ran rings around them. To read how, I suggest you buy a copy of "Bernie's Game" by Terry Lovell.

I love Formula One. I love that its ownership is utterly nonsensical and that pretty much everything it does defies logic and convention.

With the business now under his control, Bernie sold it to the highest bidder – CVC Partners in 2005. And Formula One was now owned by a bunch of bankers who needed to justify the purchase price, and who probably would have liked to sideline Bernie, but who realized that the benign dictatorship he presided over could only be run by one man, you guessed it – Bernie Ecclestone.

So Formula One is a business that operates a sporting activity that generates $1.8 billion of revenue, but which only redistributes abouf half back into the teams each year. It is wholly owned by shareholders who employ Bernie to do their bidding, only in reality they have as much control over him as the man who watches his young dog feverishy, deafly chasing sheep and implores him to stop: ‘Stop!! Bernie stop!! FUCKING STOP!!”

The common presentation of this strange situation is one of the evil corporate colossus leeching Hemmingway’s ‘true sport’ of money, and leaving it in a parlous state. There’s some truth in that, but it neatly avoids the fact that for the best part of 30 years the team owners and principles have always been unable to agree on anything. As Bernie likes to say when the media collars him after another team bosses pow-wow and asks what was agreed “We didn’t manage to agree when to hold the next meeting” while normally suppressing an impish grin. Bernie has made billions feeding on instability.

So when Lewis Hamilton finishes fifth and still fails to win the 2014 World Championship because of a slow pit stop, despite being 17 points ahead going into the final round, that is the corporate background. That is why F1 is what it is.

This is a business that for 2014 decided to award double points for the final round of the championship, either to keep matters spicy until the denouement, or to charge Abu Dhabi more cash to host a double-pointer, depending on your level of cynicism. None of us fans can understand why. Most of the people in F1 hate the idea. But it’s happening anyway.

This is a business that, against the will of the teams and many spectators decided to introduce small capacity turbocharged engines and hybridity to align itself more closely with the industry that supports it, and you know what, anyone that doesn’t like it can go fuck themselves.

Remember: if Bill Gates ran a brothel, it would be a shit brothel. We don’t need nice – nice doesn’t win

Formula One in 2014 rocks. Turbos, oversteer, technology, stunning driving talent.

So enough with the explanation already.

I love Formula One. I love that its ownership is utterly nonsensical and that pretty much everything it does defies logic and convention. I love that it is still bossed by an octogenarian dwarf who tinkers with it like an especially skanky model railway. Formula One – the concept of spending inordinate, deeply offensive amounts of money on crazy fast cars – is inherently the most ridiculous sport on the planet and it naturally attracts people whose ridiculousness defies even the skills of the greatest Hollywood scriptwriters, and as such it absolutely deserves – no, make that needs the most obviously fucked-up, opaque, dodgy, mercenary, undemocratic bunch of rules and leaders imaginable. This is North Korea with 750hp.

Remember: if Bill Gates ran a brothel, it would be a shit brothel. We don’t need nice – nice doesn’t win. Ethics and motorsport don’t matter to each other; don’t exist to each other.

Do any of the vanilla media pricks who whinge about Bernie and his machinations ever stop to imagine how dull their column inches would be if Formula One was run by some ethical non-profit-making organization that reinvested the majority of revenues in the sport and the remainder in Eastern European orphanages? Nope. Do they hassle the main news desk with copy offers when it emerges that Bernie has effectively paid a bribe to buy his way out of a German bribery case? Guess the answer.

F1 is a villainous activity. It is the pinnacle of a pastime best defined by Mark Donohue as ‘the unfair advantage.’ Hemmingway was right to eulogise it as one of the few genuine sports, but was wrong to romanticize its nobility. For motorsport, and most notably F1, is the apotheosis of selfishness. It is a journey to win at all costs: to circumnavigate, obfuscate, deceive and ultimately prevail. Like the shrew-wife stuck with the bully husband, the rank venality of Formula One fully deserves the business that owns it. And it will always be a fucked-up place.

The lesser teams will always have too little money. The wrong people will always be in power, the big-dogs will always threaten to leave and fail to do so, the naysayers will always wrongly assume the past was better and, until he casts off his mortal coil, Bernie will still rule the roost. And I will still be enthralled by the nonsense, the chutzpah, the precocious skills of the great drivers, the effrontery of the talentless berks in the paddock and the absurdity of the travelling circus that is Formula One.

Come to think of it, I can’t explain Formula One, what madness made me assume I could! I remain unconvinced it is unexplainable: F1 is part metaphor for the human condition; part theatre for yesterday’s capitalism. Lost in translation, lost in itself. Perfectly funked-up.

Watch the race this weekend and you’ll see why.
civicdrivr (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 01:27 PM

You can't post that without including the brilliant cover image:

Legend2TL (11-21-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 02:19 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Good piece. It's wrong where the author wrote that the FIA has no jurisdiction in the USA.

Read this book if you want more insight into the dealings behind the scenes :

Old 11-20-2014, 02:24 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

seriously? Your driver moves to another team and you discard him? That's harsh yo
If your HOF quarterback moves to another NFL team, you don't just suddenly change the team you follow.

But I see where you are coming from. In motor racing, most people follow their drivers more than any specific team. However, in other team sports, people mostly follow their team rather than any specific player.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Bianchi is out of his induced coma and has been transferred to a hospital in France. An unconfirmed report states quoting a paraplegic in a wheelchair that Schumacher is now paralyzed "just like me." The guy being quoted is a former F1 driver who supposedly saw Schumi. Like I said, unconfirmed.

EDIT: here's the article, just found it. Bianchi 'will be heavily disabled' - Streiff » ThisisF1 ? Formula 1
Hope good news continues

What?!?!?!?!?!?! Didn't see this coming,...cough,...cough

Bloody media, geez
Old 11-20-2014, 11:14 PM
Pro

So....awkward.

At least Alonso and particularly Button took it in stride.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
it will be very curious to see what Vettel does with Ferrari ...
Old 11-21-2014, 08:07 PM

Watching P2, the Williams cars just don't look the same without the full Martini livery
Old 11-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Man... Im an Alonso fan, And a Ferrari Fan. Not much of a fan of Vettle, nor a fan of Mclaren but a fan of Honda....Who the F am i going to be routing for in 2015
Old 11-21-2014, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Man... Im an Alonso fan, And a Ferrari Fan. Not much of a fan of Vettle, nor a fan of Mclaren but a fan of Honda....Who the F am i going to be routing for in 2015
Whomever Maldonado is paying for a seat
Old 11-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

So Mattiacci takes a shot at Alonso insinuating his desire was a little less than what Ferrari wanted in spite of the fact he spent the last 3 months trying to secure Alonso as a driver. the best part? Mattiacci, the clueless one, is OUT: Marlboro chief to replace Ferrari boss Mattiacci
Old 11-23-2014, 01:32 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Stick with your favorite engine supplier. You can't go wrong with that.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Vettel going to Ferrari puts me in the same quandary I was in when Schu went-I don't like either of them but love the team.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:43 AM
AZ Community Team

Lewis!!!!!!!

Pretty good race overall, too bad Rosberg's electrical problems with the hybrid system.

Nice to see Button up in 5th, if his career ends in this race at least he went out with a good finish.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

I think Nico was spot on when he said he can't blame the car for losing the WC. Lewis had him beat at the first corner and it looked like he would've been able to fend off any charge by Nico and if he couldn't, Lewis still would've finished 2nd and still won the WC. Great race, changes my perspective about the crown being passed at it

Quick Reply: Formula One: 2014 Season News and Discussion Thread