First time to the Grand Prix

Old 07-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First time to the Grand Prix

Like the title says, I'm going to my first Grand Prix (Baltimore) during Labor day weekend. But, I'm not sure where to I should sit. It seems like there are a few options, either go for the vip package which costs around 400.00 or a regular ticket for 160.00( Both are for the whole weekend). For those who have gone what kind of seats did you get and what would you recommend.

Description of each place to sit
(GP) GRAND PRIX CLUB

For those who want to feel the total experience of this "Festival of Speed," the Grand Prix Club puts you right in the middle of the action. Grand Prix Club ticket holders can relax in a comfortable tent area with plenty of food and closed-circuit TV. These individual tickets will also include access to an exclusive grandstand, offering excellent views of Turn 9 and easy access to the Action Sports Zone and entertainment areas.
Grand Prix Club Highlights:

-Closed-circuit TVs for following the action around the track
-Standard food and beverages will be included in the price of admission
-One weekend long Paddock Pass for each ticket purchased

$425.00

3 Day Reserved Grandstand - Premium Seating in Upper Rows [Red Box 1-27]

You'll get to see the IZOD IndyCar series, the Firestone Indy Lights Series, the American Le Mans Series, the Star Mazda Series, the F2000 Championship, plus experience all of the concerts, all of the action sports demos, all of the festivities, and all of the fun. With this package your seat is guaranteed on Saturday and Sunday, with open access to the race grounds on Friday. The Baltimore Grand Prix Festival of Speed makes for the perfect Labor Day weekend vacation.

NOTE: Upper rows provide better views of the track and are considered premium seating. The best seats are the highest row in each grandstand.

$ 160.00

(Terrace) FINISH LINE TERRACE

his raised grass terrace is located adjacent to the track on Pratt Street and in addition to being able to catch the Green Flag and the Checkered Flag, you'll have amazing views of the exciting double file restarts.

-Exclusive access to a raised grass terrace with trees providing shade throughout the day
-Comfortable individual seating just feet away from the track
-Three day full access Paddock Pass for each ticket purchased
-9 meal tickets for the weekend (Each ticket good for one main item and one side item)
-Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages all weekend
-Convenient access to the Inner Harbor
-Adjacent to the Convention Center for easy access to the IndyCar Paddock
-Full color commemorative access laminate with lanyard

$475.00

GROUNDS ADMISSION No reserved seats

A Grounds Admission ticket gives you full access to the infield party, including concerts, beach volleyball, go karts, rides, and extreme sports demos. But don't think that's all you get: There are a multitude of areas around the track that provide excellent viewing of the racing action, and of course, the sound of these awesome vehicles screaming through the streets of Baltimore is an experience in and of itself. Grounds Admission tickets are available in single day, multi-day, or full weekend packages.

$65.00

Map of track and seating areas
Old 07-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
please take lots of pixs...
Old 07-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I forgot to add that, I will be taking pictures. For those who have gone to an event like this is it hard to bring a backpack in.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 AM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Balcony club, pit suites, Grandstand 16, or Grandstand 6 closest to turn 1 would be my choices. Grand Prix club isn't a bad one either, getting to see them take the corner and romp on it. It's quite similar to our pitlane club tickets. If I could do it, i'd probably go again. You get to stay in a shaded grandstand rather than being in the sun all weekend. You get food, and it's not bad at all. I'm pretty sure you would also get an open bar(we do in GPLB) which is pretty damn awesome. The people who buy these expensive tickets are usually some pretty cool automotive aficionado's and great people to sit around and chat with. It's one of those experiences you have to try. Best of all, the exhaust note echoes more here, adding to auditory bliss
Old 07-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandals
I forgot to add that, I will be taking pictures. For those who have gone to an event like this is it hard to bring a backpack in.
I had been making the trip to the USGP at indy until the tire fiasco with only 6 cars competing. I had no issues bringing in a backpack, they just went through it to make sure it was safe. Even the GP that was less than a month after 9-11, no problems.

FWIW, seating is different than if you go to a concert. You don't want to be right up front at a GP, the higher up in the stands you are, the better the view.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,860 Likes on 3,480 Posts
Having been to literally hundreds of pro races in my life, I would say ask yourself this question: do you want to watch the pit lane action and see the cars zooming past or do you want to see overtaking? For Formula 1 races, me and West prefer the hairpin where a lot of action/overtaking takes place. It's a personal preference kinda thing. Buy a gen. admission ticket for Friday, walk around and see what stand you like THEN buy your ticket. There will be lots left I'd be willing to bet along with plenty to get from scalpers.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
Depends on how much you can afford.

Wherever you sit, the key is having a view of one of the tv screens. I'd go to grandstand 6 or 16, as they are at the end of long straights, and they seem close to the convention center. You will probably spend most of your time in the convention center as it gets you out of the sun and humidity. The ALMS paddock isn't in the convention center though.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,860 Likes on 3,480 Posts
hmmmm-wondering if I should go to Baltimore for Labor Day Weekend instead of the usual trip to Toronto for the Airshow at the Ex.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:25 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,019 Likes on 2,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Having been to literally hundreds of pro races in my life, I would say ask yourself this question: do you want to watch the pit lane action and see the cars zooming past or do you want to see overtaking? For Formula 1 races, me and West prefer the hairpin where a lot of action/overtaking takes place. It's a personal preference kinda thing. Buy a gen. admission ticket for Friday, walk around and see what stand you like THEN buy your ticket. There will be lots left I'd be willing to bet along with plenty to get from scalpers.
, we did the same thing when we went to the Detroit.

FWIW, I will probably be volunteering at the Baltimore Grand Prix helping out the track marshalls. Not sure of the details yet. Not a huge fan or IRL but glad something is coming to town, looking forward to seeing the cars on the streets of Baltimore.