Audi: Motorsports News

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 12:52 PM
That's hot...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi: Motorsports News

Does anybody else think Audi should win LeMans for a record 4th time(?) and then turn their focus on to F1...

Yes the two (ALMS and F1) cant compare, but they got the right formula (reliabilty, speed, ease of driving) with the R8...

How do the two types of cars compare...F1 vs. LMP 900...I'm assuming a F1 car is faster...
Old 08-07-2002, 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

since VW officially said theres no way theyd go in F1, doesnt that mean the same for audi?

(im asking, not trying to sound like a smart ass)
Old 08-08-2002, 05:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,861 Likes on 3,481 Posts
Originally posted by mr tl
since VW officially said theres no way theyd go in F1, doesnt that mean the same for audi?

(im asking, not trying to sound like a smart ass)
Audi has already stated on the record they will not be going to F1, which is too bad really. It might be b/c Porsche got their ass handed to them already in F1 (not even one full season and they quit). An LMP car on the Mulsanne straight before they put the chicances in, wld likely leave an F1 car behind easily--by 25-40 mph. But on short straights broken up by curves and esses, the F1 car wld leave the LMP car behind (read modern GP track). The F1 car is quicker (acceleration-deceleration-acceleration cycle) than a LMP car cld ever hope to be. I'd hazard to say Audi likely will continue seeking to win LeMans, what the hell, Porsche won it for years! As did Ferrari, Ford, Bentley, etc.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:07 PM
10th Gear

Too much competition in F1 and too high an entry cost for little gain. Again, it's a fantasy, but I would love for Audi to come to the US in CART. Lower costs to entry and access to their largest market for automobiles (i.e., the US). Also, F1 is still mandating normally aspirated engines, and Audi would probably like to showcase another aspect of their production cars (i.e., turbo charged engines like some variant of their 1.8 liter turbo-charged engines in their VW's and Audi A4's). CART is turbo-charged for the next few years and hopefully will stay that way.

But again, fantasy.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Post Audi's diesel race car too fast for its own good?

Neato read...some commentary on the Audi R10 TDI going about the ALMS...

Source: Leftlanenews...

The Audi R10 TDI — the world's first Le Mans diesel race car — has been doing so well that new regulations have been put in place to curb its success. The American Le Mans Series has decided to allow the competing gas-powered LM P1 Lolas to drop 143 pounds of weight to make for a tighter race. The Lolas will also be granted a five-litre larger fuel tank. Audi says its engineers have calculated with computer simulation that 22 pounds at the upcoming Road America is worth at least two-tenths-of-a-second per lap. Audi said it is "deeply disappointed about the random decisions of the IMSA organization." Nonetheless, Audi is hopefully it can continue its winning streak this weekend with the Road America race.

Quotes before the race at Road America

Dr Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Motorsport): "To us, the recent regulation changes made by IMSA appear to have been made at random and are unjustified. A year ago hardly anybody could believe that it would be possible to win a race with a diesel powered sportscar. We demonstrated that it is feasible, and thanks to ‘Vorsprung durch Technik' we produced the world's most state-of-the-art LM P1. We can not accept that our life will now be made artificially difficult. Audi, the manufacturer, which has supported and promoted the ALMS for years and helped to make it what it is today, will only continue its American Le Mans Series programme if there are again stable and consistent rules, like at Le Mans, which also contribute towards justifying manufacturer's involvement and expenditure."

Frank Biela (Audi R10 TDI #1): "Road America is a fantastic circuit, which I'm really looking forward to. Emanuele (Pirro) and I had a superb race there last year. It goes without saying that after such a victory you return with a special feeling. The track is a lot of fun to drive, is relatively quick and flowing, which should actually suit our Audi R10 TDI. We can also demonstrate TDI Power on the long straights."

Emanuele Pirro (Audi R10 TDI #1): "Road America is a beautiful circuit that should allow the R10 TDI to shine. That's why I'm optimistic for the race. It's clear that we are competing to help Dindo (Capello) and Allan (McNish) in their fight for the title. We nevertheless want to make a strong showing as we did at Salt Lake City and Portland and obviously win if possible."

Dindo Capello (Audi R10 TDI #2): "Road America is one of the best circuits on the American Le Mans Series calendar. I've only driven there once, but won first time out together with Tom (Kristensen) in 2002 and have fond memories as a consequence. This time around Allan (McNish) and I must drive with one eye on the championship, which means we cannot afford a non-finish and want to score as many points as possible to protect our lead. We might even then have the chance of wrapping up the title early at one of the following races."

Allan McNish (Audi R10 TDI #2): "I've still haven't raced at Road America. That's why I spoke to Nigel (Mansell) who described Road America as a ‘real driver's circuit', which should suit me. I also got a few tips from Dario Franchitti. The flowing circuit should suit the R10 TDI, however, the LM P2 Porsche and the Dyson Lolas, also favoured by the regulations, are getting stronger and stronger, that's why I'm expecting another dog fight."

Dave Maraj (Team Director Team Audi Sport North America): "I look forward to going to Road America; it's one of my favorite race tracks. The R10 TDI will enjoy stretching its legs on this circuit. One thing is for sure, we all hope to race in cooler temperatures this weekend."
Old 08-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

And the followup article quoting Dyson Racing's comments to Audi's comments...

Audi R10 has "insurmountable and crushing advantage"

As previously reported, the American Le Mans Series has allowed Dyson Racing to modify its race car mid-season in order to allow it to compete more effectively with the diesel-powered Audi R10. On Monday, we brought you commentary from Audi about the new rules, which it said were unfair. Dyson Racing has now responded, saying, "it is proven on the track on multiple occasions that this new technology provides an insurmountable and crushing advantage, then it is no longer racing but rather a demonstration run."

"We were perplexed by Audi Sport's reaction to the well-intentioned measures the ALMS is taking to improve the quality of racing," said Chris Dyson, Sporting Director of Dyson Racing, in response to Audi's recent public threats to leave the series. "We normally wouldn't respond to such remarks, but since we have been directly addressed by a competitor, we feel it is appropriate to respond.

"We understand the ACO's need to grant latitude in the rules to encourage an unproven technology, and Audi's diesel R10 is a technological wonder. There is no question that Audi have produced an amazing machine under the current regulations.

"But when it is proven on the track on multiple occasions that this new technology provides an insurmountable and crushing advantage, then it is no longer racing but rather a demonstration run.

"We were surprised at the stridency of Audi's reaction. It is the job of a sanctioning body to adjust the rules as needed, and as competitors we abide by their changes. We realize that these adjustments may not create an ideally level playing field, but all that racers look for is a reasonable opportunity to be competitive. In over 20 years of its history with IMSA, Dyson Racing has never shied away from a fair fight and our reputation is founded on taking the fight to the best in the world.

"Audi's posture is puzzling given the current situation. Our car has been given a weight break, which helps us slightly over a lap. The upcoming increase in LMP1 gasoline-powered fuel tanks by five liters will provide some very small relief, but given diesel's greater energy per liter properties, in its current guise the Audi R-10 still maintains a disproportionate advantage over gasoline-powered prototypes. Their greater straight line speeds and much better fuel economy have not changed. And that central issue still remains – the absurd disparity between diesel and gasoline fuel economy. And these areas also need to be addressed.

"We applaud the American Le Mans Series' understanding of the spirit of sports car racing and we hope that their collaborative efforts with the ACO will continue to make the ALMS and Le Mans a place for fair competition. We trust that our competitors will understand the need to work together to foster the growth of our racing series."
Old 08-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't stand mid-season rules changes like this. If somebody does perfect something within the rules which gives them a huge advantage then bravo for them. Change the rules the following year to "reset" the field.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:42 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,064 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Billiam
I can't stand mid-season rules changes like this. If somebody does perfect something within the rules which gives them a huge advantage then bravo for them. Change the rules the following year to "reset" the field.
x100
Old 08-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
+1
Old 08-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

all in the name of parity but seemingly very arbitrary and unfair to one mfr who found a way to compete within the rules and slay all comers. I like you guys, hate mid-season rule changes.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I agree with everyone ^^,..........bloody ALMS/IMSA.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Big Block go VROOOM!

And of course the R10's still finished 1-2 at Road America.

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?ID=2427
Old 08-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Audi finishing 1-2 just solidifies the governing body's rationale to add weight/ decrease re-fuel speed time/increase everyone else's fuel cap. size dammit.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I was watching the race yesterday.

Although I generally go for the Astons in the GT1 class, its nice to see Fellows grab a class victory in the corvette.

ALMS is great - only two weeks until I am watching live at MOSPORT. Scott, you should come up.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

thanks for the offer but I'm out on vacay this coming weekend; in a 100K bike race the following weekend; outta town on biz; then on vacay again for 9 days in Sarasota FL!

In other words-I can't!
Old 08-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Perhaps the regulators were surprised when they converted 1100 Newton metres of torque into something they understand: slaughter!
Old 12-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Audi Pulls Out of ALMS

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/story/...es_auto_racing

Wasn't expecting this...
Old 12-05-2008, 03:51 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

welcome to yesterday
Old 12-05-2008, 04:16 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Audi is simply shifting it's attention back to Europe. It will still take part in the Le Mans.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Old 12-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Wonder what Acura will do no that there is no competition in LMP1 or LMP2? What seemed like a series that was on the brink of greatest last year has come crashing down in a matter of days with both Audi and Porsche pulling out of the series.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Speaking of ALMS, Corvette racing will be running limited schedule in '09. I think they're running only Sebring, Long Beach, and LeMans in GT1, then they're switching to GT2 for another two or three races. I thought I had heard that AM was switching to GT2 as well. Supposedly the rules for all the GT cars are getting a serious overhaul for 2010.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Audi: Historic quattros for Sale

From here: Who wants an iconic Audi? Quattros for sale | crankandpiston.com Car Culture Lifestyle

Forget your RS4s and R8s – when it comes to iconic Audis, it’s hard to look past the Quattros of the 1980s. A pair of legendary machines from that era are up for sale in the UK this month, although you’ll need a sizeable wallet to be able to afford either of them.

The Quattro was first introduced in 1980 and brought four-wheel drive to the mainstream for the first time. The move to drive all of the the wheels was due to a change in competition car rules, which allowed four-wheel drive cars, and Audi decided that it would suit their rally programme to a tee.

The body shell for the Quattro was based on the existing Audi 80 coupe, but attached to a new floor that allowed space for the four-wheel-drive transmission and independent rear suspension. The engine was a 2.1-litre, five-cylinder unit from the 200 Saloon that produced 197bhp on the road, but a heck of a lot more on the rally stages.

The result? Great success. The Quattro rally car won the World Rally Championship manufacturers’ crown in 1982 and 1984, while Hannu Mikkola and Stig Blomquist drove their Quattros to the drivers’ title in 1983 and ’84 respectively.

Two cars are up for auction at the Bonhams Members’ Meeting Sale in Goodwood, on March 21. The first is Mikkola’s ex-works Quattro A1 Group B rally Car from 1982, which was used in that year’s Monte Carlo Rally, where it finishes second, and then again in the Swedish Rally, finishing 16th. It was used for training for the 1983 season before it was converted to Group B spec and sold. Bonhams estimates that it’ll fetch between $350,000 and $415,000.

If you’re after a road car, what about this 1985 Audi Quattro Sport SWB Coupe? The Sport version of the Quattro had been launched in 1983, featuring a shorter wheelbase and a lighter version of the engine thanks to its aluminium block. It had more power, around 306bhp, and was the first Quattro Audi to feature anti-lock brakes. Only 214 were made, and only 164 sold to customers.

One of the first batch of six cars delivered to the UK, this particular example is in superb condition for a 30-year-old machine, having been restored, and has just 24,285 miles (39,082km) on the clock from only two previous owners. It can be yours for a guide price of between $330,000 and $420,000. Bargain.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 10-26-2016, 08:41 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Audi: Le Mans program ends

From Autosport:
Audi will pull out of the World Endurance Championship and end its 18-year involvement in the Le Mans 24 Hours at the conclusion of 2016.

The axing of the LMP1 program, which yielded 13 Le Mans victories and the WEC drivers' and manufacturers' titles in 2012-'13, follows what has been described as a realignment of Audi's motorsport program.

The German manufacturer will focus on its participation in the Formula E Championship with the Abt-Schaeffler squad (pictured), having announced a greater works involvement in the electric single-seater series at the beginning of last month.

"We're going to contest the race for the future on electric power," Audi chairman Rupert Stadler said. "As our production cars are becoming increasingly electric, our motorsport cars, as Audi's technological spearheads, have to even more so."

Audi's all-electric production vehicles will go on sale at the start of the 2018 model year.

The official announcement of the news from Audi uses the word "instead" when talking about the end of the WEC campaign and the new focus on FE. Audi Sport boss Wolfgang Ullrich had previously stated that FE was an "additional program" and would have no bearing on the decision making process regarding a continuation in LMP1.

Audi's statement hinted at a drive to reduce the company's motorsport budget by saying the decision needed to be understood "in the context of the current burdens of the brand," which is a reference to the financial liabilities that are likely to follow last year's "dieselgate" emissions scandal. It also said that some of the technical resources within Audi Sport would be diverted into the development of production vehicles.

The decision comes against the backdrop of declining sales of turbodiesels – the technology Audi showcases in the WEC – and political pressure in some markets to outlaw diesels.

A requirement of the participation of two brands from the Volkswagen Group, Audi and Porsche, in the WEC is that they used different technologies.

Audi has lent its name to the Abt team's Formula E program since the beginning of the series in 2014-'15 and is stepping up its involvement for the 2016-'17 season in what is envisaged will become a full factory engagement.

Audi's participation in the DTM is unaffected by the decision, and it is considering expanding its involvement in World Rallycross, where it currently offers technical support to 2016 champion Mattias Ekstrom's privateer team
Le Mans to Formula E? You've got to be kidding me. Thanks for the memories.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:51 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,498 Posts
Audi had an amazing run at LeMans, probably never to be repeated again with those stats.
Hats off to Audi and their amazing LMP1 cars and team.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:00 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 107 Likes on 86 Posts
Whoa!! Is there a WEC thread?! Audi is pulling out!

This sucks! I mean, I like FormulaE but what. a loss.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:16 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by R J Poseidon 6
Whoa!! Is there a WEC thread?! Audi is pulling out!
It's hard to miss.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

That is sad to hear about Audi. Webber isn't racing at Porsche any more either.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:17 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

It's basically just down to Porsche vs Toyota now.

Open rulebook -> more interesting cars -> too expensive -> manufactures leave -> the same cycle keeps repeating for sports car racing
Old 11-08-2016, 01:43 PM
~HondaF1~

Originally Posted by F-C
It's hard to miss.
Yea I didn't even try to search I was so distraught with the news...

Originally Posted by F-C
It's basically just down to Porsche vs Toyota now.

Open rulebook -> more interesting cars -> too expensive -> manufactures leave -> the same cycle keeps repeating for sports car racing
It's so sad man, when Audi started the LMP program it just changed everything. They had some sick battles with the now gone Bentley and others. Ahhh the memories.... It looked so sick & they just got sicker and sicker. I have almost no recollection of watching the LM24 without seeing Dr Wolfgrang Ullrich - it will be different.

Now to business, with Dieselgate axing many of VW's plans - they are still there! Porsche is under the same umbrella and they just tearing shit up right now so - onto FormulaE 'Audi' go!
Old 11-08-2016, 03:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,020 Likes on 2,498 Posts
Originally Posted by R J Poseidon 6
Yea I didn't even try to search I was so distraught with the news...

It's so sad man, when Audi started the LMP program it just changed everything. They had some sick battles with the now gone Bentley and others. Ahhh the memories.... It looked so sick & they just got sicker and sicker. I have almost no recollection of watching the LM24 without seeing Dr Wolfgrang Ullrich - it will be different.

Now to business, with Dieselgate axing many of VW's plans - they are still there! Porsche is under the same umbrella and they just tearing shit up right now so - onto FormulaE 'Audi' go!
+1, yes LeMans will be sad without Audi and Ullrich. Replacing the entire rear transaxle and suspension on the Audi LMP1 cars in 5 minutes when they had gearbox failures still stands out in my mind as the ultimate in planning and preparation and engineering. Beside only four bolts holding the rear tranaxle to the stressed engine assembly, all of the electrical and hydraulic connectors were quick disconnect.

Also didnt' know he worked on the Porsche TurboTAG enginer from the 80's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Ullrich
The following users liked this post:
R J Poseidon 6 (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 12:18 PM
~HondaF1~

Love motorsport history........

Old 12-08-2016, 10:26 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Fantastic video by Audi. So much history.