Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Wunder Capital?

Old 10-11-2016, 02:45 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,114 Likes on 6,105 Posts
Wunder Capital?

Y'all should now I care about Climate Change and want to do my part in helping transition to to a clean energy economy. I learned about Wunder Capital that offers funds with a target return of 8.5% for an 84 month investment and 6% for 120 month investment. I need to start investing in something and this seems to be a great solution that would allow me to make $$$ on something I care a lot about. It's a win win. But I know not to be stupid and to check things out. Have you guys heard anything about them, are these returns good/average. Also if I invest a few thousand at the beginning could I say continually invest a couple hundred dollars more per month or do I have to do it in $1000 increments ($1000 is the minimum investment)?

I expect the future of large scale solar to be very good especially with Clinton winning the election so it seems to be a growing market for a long time to come since almost every nation on the planet has pledge to switch to clean energy.

P.S. I'm a total noob when I comes to finance and investing, I hate taxes, and finances, I know it's extremely important but it doesn't interest me. So help me out, if you can thanks

Here's what I've found so far

https://www.wundercapital.com/

Wunder capital solar investing - Business Insider

https://cleantechnica.com/2015/05/04...under-capital/
Old 10-11-2016, 05:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,134 Posts
I think you are going to wunder where your money went. That place looks shady to me (and I worked for a shady financial company before and it ended up very bad). WTF, they won't give any details without creating an account?

What they are offering isn't a traditional fund. Their funds have a term similar to a CD. Which mean you give them $1000 for 84 months and you can't get your money back before that, and you hope that you get some money back at all.

If you really want to invest in this sector may I suggest Fidelity FSLEX or some other fund from a reputable place.
https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mu...?type=o-NavBar
Investing primarily in companies engaged in business activities related to alternative and renewable energy, energy efficiency, pollution control, water infrastructure, waste and recycling technologies, or other environmental support services. Normally investing at least 80% of assets in securities of companies principally engaged in these activities. Normally investing primarily in common stocks. Investing in domestic and foreign issuers.

The following users liked this post:
#1 STUNNA (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 06:26 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
People usually like to compare performance with the S&P 500. To give you an idea of how their funds targeted returns compare, over the past 84 months the S&P 500 had a return of 11.076% (13.254% with reinvested dividends). Over the past 120 months, it had a return of 5.158% (7.38% with reinvested dividends).

Assuming they can actually produce an 8.5% return (84 month) or 6% (120 month), it's about average.

I checked, but I can't seem to find any info on the funds performance since its inception. But their CEO says that for their 1st year, they have (so far) met their targeted goals.

Can crowdfunding bring solar energy to small businesses? - The Verge

As for the capital investors give to Wunder, the company is targeting 6 percent returns from its 10-year Income Fund and 11 percent returns from its 2-year Bridge Fund. Wunder says that so far it has met those benchmarks. "Actual returns have been exactly 6 and 11 percent as promised, and we have yet to miss a payment to investors since our first investments in July, 2015," said Birsic. Of course, Wunder is still a ways off from seeing the final results of its 10-year fund.
Something to keep in mind though...

According to Nicole Litvak, a senior analyst at Greentech Media, there are some warning signs for Wunder. She notes that other companies have tried and failed to unlock the potential of the commercial solar market. They struggled to find suitable partners to invest in because commercial developers were unfamiliar with the benefits of these platforms or were unwilling to fully disclose financial information to them. Consequently, these ventures have had little effect on the commercial solar industry on the whole, which has been stagnant since 2012, despite there being plenty of rooftops and land available for solar energy use.
Also, this fund has zero SEC oversight. That's why only "accredited investors" may invest in their funds.

https://www.wundercapital.com/suppor...who-can-invest

Who can invest?

To invest with Wunder you must be a U.S. Resident and over 18 years of age. If you’re investing as an individual you must be an “Accredited Investor” as defined by the SEC. Trusts and companies may also invest but must also be “accredited” as defined by the SEC.
https://www.wundercapital.com/suppor...dited-investor

What is an "Accredited Investor"?

“Accredited Investor” is a term used by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) under Regulation D to refer to investors who are financially sophisticated and therefore have a reduced need for the protection provided by certain government filings. The SEC defines an individual Accredited Investor as anyone who:
  • has earned income in excess of $200,000 for the past two years individually, or $300,000 with a spouse, with the expectation of earning the same this year.
  • has assets in excess of $1 million, excluding the value of a primary residence.
Investing with them carries a lot of risk since they've only been around for a couple years (2014?) and their funds have only been investing since July 2015. But if you qualify and truly believe solar will grow, then take a chance and invest $1,000 or $5,000, then let us know in 7 yrs or 10 yrs how you did.
The following users liked this post:
#1 STUNNA (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 11:26 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
This in a ROTH IRA. $0.02
https://www.americanfunds.com/indivi...nts/fund/amrmx
Old 10-11-2016, 11:45 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Wow thanks a lot guys! I created an account on their site which was easy just name email password. They asked me these two questions
  • "has earned income in excess of $200,000 for the past two years individually, or $300,000 with a spouse, with the expectation of earning the same this year.
  • has assets in excess of $1 million, excluding the value of a primary residence"
I said no to both and then was only offered the 7 and 11 year terms, but I guess I can't invest anyways since I'm not an accredited investor
Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Them being a startup and only a couple years old isn't good when it comes to finances nor is the lack of SEC oversight. I think I'm going to hold off investing with them. But that portfolio you posted doop looks interesting. If I wanted to invest with that I could just make an account on Fidelity? Is $1000 the minimum investment?

Again, I'm a total fuckin n00b at this shit, like someone using a computer for the first time noob.

My brother works for Raymond James Financial.... could I setup something with them?
Old 10-12-2016, 10:55 AM
Sanest Florida Man

Brother says that RJF is expensive so I should go elsewhere. Wonder says they're working on non accredited funds. It wouldn't let me invest when I tried

Old 10-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Sanest Florida Man

So I guess this is now The Environmental/Renewable Energy Investment Thread. An admin can rename it if they want
Old 10-12-2016, 05:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
But that portfolio you posted doop looks interesting. If I wanted to invest with that I could just make an account on Fidelity? Is $1000 the minimum investment?
Under the fees section for that fund they mention it's $2,500.

FWIW, my general newb guidance is to dollar cost average into a index fund that mimics the S&P500. There are many but Vanguard and Fidelity are the leaders.

Last edited by doopstr; 10-12-2016 at 05:19 PM.