Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Tesla IPO, would you?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla IPO, would you?

even though the news is all over the place and getting enough attention, do you think its worth it to buy the day its released on the 28th? or maybe wait and see. cause their first car will not sell till mid 2011 probably.
they do have a good backing though, toyota, daimler and DOE breaks too.

what you guys think?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
why not just put your money on black?

Seriously though, they have 1 product that's going to be phased out before the new one is designed. There's going to be at least 1-2 years with no revenue, betting on one product that might resonate with the common folk. It's a pretty big gamble.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

methinks coal burning cars are not the future....especially very EXPENSIVE coal burning cars.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
TSLA picked a bad day for an IPO and things were rocky mid-day. It was nice to see TSLA recover earlier opening losses and end the day with a whopping gain of 4.70 or 24.74% for the day closing at 23.70- volume was a strong 18.6M shares.

I wish I braved it today when it was down below 18, but did not- I want to see them actually make money for a quarter. The CEO was not super convincing on CNBC today as to how they're going to make money.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,134 Posts
If no one else was making an electric car they would be interesting. Nissan and GM both have full electric cars in the pipeline. If Tesla can come through with some kind of breakthrough in the technology then they would be a buy. But right now all they do is bleed money. Where would you get a Tesla car serviced? If you run out of battery on the street is the only option to get a tow?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Tesla may license technology to Toyota so I would guess that Toyota could be a repair shop option for Tesla in the future. Tesla does make some nice looking cars though- unlike all the other electric cars for the most part. The Volt looks OK, but Tesla is better and performs better too. From listening to the CEO yesterday, Tesla reminded me a little of Delorean and we know what happened to that company. I guess we'll see what happens to Tesla.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:18 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I think they might have something going on with this coming in 2012:
Old 07-07-2010, 10:23 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

...and the share priced dropped below the IPO.

Shocking!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

IMO this could be a takeover target in a couple years if their technology holds mustard. It may be worth picking up shares as a speculative play if it gets really cheap.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at first glance. I would never invest into a company that has never seen a profit since inception, regardless of the potential upside
Old 07-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Thass Wassup!

My dad just bought these IPO's a few weeks ago. It went up for a few days and then dropped back down. From my research and stock market knowledge, this is more of a long term investment.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:41 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ how long is your dad's idea of long term?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Team Owner

It's interesting that Tesla will be involved in the development of the electric Rav4. It's not surprising since Toyota has an investment in Tesla.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:15 AM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Reviving this from 2010 to see what everyone's thoughts are on TSLA now that the stock is hitting new highs?

Hope for a pull back or pick up some now?

My mind says it's overvalued now, but if they can truly lower battery production costs with the production of a new facility then it could lead to big things for TSLA.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Team Owner

I still think there is a fair chance that someone tries to acquire them, possibly Toyota. Once GM and others catch up with battery tech, what will be special about Tesla? They are about to start building some huge battery plant, will be interesting to see how that works out.

It's a shame that there is no real interest in producing nat gas cars. I guess they are not as sexy as a "clean" battery powered car.

Last edited by doopstr; 02-26-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
It's a shame that there is no real interest in producing nat gas cars.
I'm thinking that part of the reasons are probably because CNG isn't more fuel efficient, doesn't have lower refueling costs than regular gas or electricity, and you won't get the same type of power/torque like you get from an electric motor. And thanks in part to Toyota and the Prius, CNG isn't as sexy or high tech in peoples eyes?

Look at the CNG Honda Civic. It's more than a regular Civic, has less HP and torque than a regular Civic, is less fuel efficient than a regular Civic, and CNG fuel prices (in my area at least) are equal to or slightly higher than regular 87 octane gas. Where's the incentive?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Pro

There's definitely an advantage to being able to plug in your car in your garage vs going to a station to fuel up.

As far as an acquisition goes, why would Toyota do it? They lead all manufacturers in fuel efficient car sales by a very wide margin and I'm sure they can build a car that has the battery packs built into the floor board similar to the S. Additionally, Toyota already has a luxury brand in Lexus that doesn't need the extra boost like some of the American automakers or even Honda need.

Tesla is special for the same reason Apple was in that they innovate by re-thinking the entire automotive experience. Each dealership is Tesla owned and operated, and their service options are above and beyond any other brand. I would ask you what is special or so different between F, GM, HMC, etc?

I think the bigger question when it comes to investing in TSLA is can they successfully launch a lower priced vehicle that can gain market share, and can they scale the current service model?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Devil Dog 21
As far as an acquisition goes, why would Toyota do it?
Speculation on my part.

Toyota invested $50 million in Tesla in 2010.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...ker-tesla.html

The cheapest Tesla you can buy is a 2013 Toyota RAV4 EV
http://www.techhive.com/article/2042...a-rav4-ev.html

Last edited by doopstr; 02-26-2014 at 04:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Devil Dog 21 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Pro

Speculation on my part.

Toyota invested $50 million in Tesla in 2010.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-0...ker-tesla.html

The cheapest Tesla you can buy is a 2013 Toyota RAV4 EV
http://www.techhive.com/article/2042...a-rav4-ev.html
Did not know that....great insight!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil Dog 21
Reviving this from 2010 to see what everyone's thoughts are on TSLA now that the stock is hitting new highs?

Hope for a pull back or pick up some now?

My mind says it's overvalued now, but if they can truly lower battery production costs with the production of a new facility then it could lead to big things for TSLA.
I've been asking myself this too. I also asked myself this when it hit around $140 and i said to myself its gotta go down again then I'll grab. Nope.

I dunno what to do! I'm just trying to think, is it possible it will be lower in 5 years time? That should be around the time the new factory is up and probably gonna be introducing the new car by then as well.

I also do think its slightly overvalued as well. But for longterm would you guys do it?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:11 PM
_

I think it's overvalued. Many analysts think it's overvalued. Even Elon Musk thinks it's overvalued. He even said so 4 months ago when the stock was under $200

Elon Musk warns about Tesla's stock price

October 25, 2013: 12:41 PM ET

Tesla investors may be all smiles for now, but CEO Elon Musk is warning them that the stock is overvalued.

"The stock price that we have is more than we have any right to deserve," he said in London Thursday at the opening of a Tesla showroom in London. And he's got a point. Shares are up 400% this year and are trading a nearly 100 times 2014 earnings estimates.

It's not the first time Musk has said that Tesla (TSLA) shares are flying too high, but investors haven't really bothered to pay attention. He used almost the same language about the stock's valuation during an interview with CNBC in August. But the stock has climbed 10% since then.

Musk's latest comments come just a few days after Netflix (NFLX) CEO Reed Hasting's note of caution about his company's stock. In a letter to shareholders that accompanied the company's earnings report, Hastings said some of the "euphoria" for the stock feels like 2003, when shares of Netflix rallied 400%. The stock plunged in 2004 and has been fairly volatile for the past decade.

And even though Musk warns Tesla's stock is too high now, he is optimistic that somewhere down the line, Tesla will grow into its current valuation.

"We're going to do our best to fulfill the expectations of investors, and I think in the long term that stock price is going to seem fair," he said.

But would you really expect him to say otherwise?

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/25/inve...omentum-stocks
Old 02-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by speedemon90
I've been asking myself this too. I also asked myself this when it hit around $140 and i said to myself its gotta go down again then I'll grab. Nope.

I dunno what to do! I'm just trying to think, is it possible it will be lower in 5 years time? That should be around the time the new factory is up and probably gonna be introducing the new car by then as well.

I also do think its slightly overvalued as well. But for longterm would you guys do it?
I think the question a potential TSLA investor has to ask himself is, where is this company going to be in 5 years and am I willing to buy and hold and cost average down on a pullback if I believe the stock is going to be worth $___ in 5 years? At this point I'd like to see a slight pull back before an initial investment....probably wouldn't hurt for me to sit down and do some more research too.

Originally Posted by AZuser
I think it's overvalued. Many analysts think it's overvalued. Even Elon Musk thinks it's overvalued. He even said so 4 months ago when the stock was under $200
If you wanted an opportunity to buy stock in your own company that you knew was going to go higher wouldn't you state that your stock is overvalued so you could buy on a pull back? Not saying you're wrong at all, just playing devil's advocate.....afterall I'm fairly confused when it comes to TSLA's value.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Team Owner

Musk announced that he is going to give us the D!

Last edited by doopstr; 10-02-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,581 Likes on 6,628 Posts
Has anyone's opinion changed of this company? I bought some last year and it's definitely a long term investment but I'm surprised it's not more popular. Risky? You bet it is...
Old 05-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,114 Likes on 6,105 Posts

http://www.teslamotors.com/presskit/teslaenergy
The world currently consumes 20 trillion kWh of energy annually.
Enough energy to power a single family home for 1.8 billion years or supply energy to a nuclear power plant for 2,300 years (or launch the Falcon 9 rocket seventeen million times).

Of all the fossil fuel consumed in the United States, one third is used in transportation and another third goes to electricity production. The US electric power sector alone produces over 2,000 million metric tons of CO2 which is like burning 225 billion gallons of gas. The EPA says it would require 1.6 billion acres of US forest to negate the environmental damage.

What if we could move the electricity grid off of fossil fuels and towards renewable energy sources?
Once we’re able to rely on renewable energy sources for our power consumption, the top 50% of the dirtiest power generation resources could retire early. We would have a cleaner, smaller, and more resilient energy grid.

Today, Tesla introduces Tesla Energy, a suite of batteries for homes, businesses, and utilities fostering a clean energy ecosystem and helping wean the world off fossil fuels.
Tesla is not just an automotive company, it’s an energy innovation company. Tesla Energy is a critical step in this mission to enable zero emission power generation.

With Tesla Energy, Tesla is amplifying its efforts to accelerate the move away from fossil fuels to a sustainable energy future with Tesla batteries, enabling homes, business, and utilities to store sustainable and renewable energy to manage power demand, provide backup power and increase grid resilience.

Tesla is already working with utilities and other renewable power partners around the world to deploy storage on the grid to improve resiliency and cleanliness of the grid as a whole.

Powerwall Home Battery

The Tesla Powerwall is a rechargeable lithium-ion battery designed to store energy at a residential level for load shifting, backup power and self-consumption of solar power generation. The Powerwall consists of Tesla’s lithium-ion battery pack, liquid thermal control system and software that receives dispatch commands from a solar inverter. The unit mounts seamlessly on a wall and is integrated with the local grid to harness excess power and give customers the flexibility to draw energy from their own reserve.

The battery can provide a number of different benefits to the customer including:

Load shifting – The battery can provide financial savings to its owner by charging during low rate periods when demand for electricity is lower and discharging during more expensive rate periods when electricity demand is higher
Increasing self-consumption of solar power generation – The battery can store surplus solar energy not used at the time it is generated and use that energy later when the sun is not shining
Back-up power – Assures power in the event of an outage
The Powerwall Home Battery increases the capacity for a household’s solar consumption, while also offering backup functionality during grid outages.

The Powerwall is available in 10kWh, optimized for backup applications or 7kWh optimized for daily use applications. Both can be connected with solar or grid and both can provide backup power. The 10kWh Powerwall is optimized to provide backup when the grid goes down, providing power for your home when you need it most. When paired with solar power, the 7kWh Powerwall can be used in daily cycling to extend the environmental and cost benefits of solar into the night when sunlight is unavailable.

Tesla’s selling price to installers is $3500 for 10kWh and $3000 for 7kWh. (Price excludes inverter and installation.) Deliveries begin in late Summer.

Powerwall specs:

Mounting: Wall Mounted Indoor/Outdoor
Inverter: Pairs with growing list of inverters
Energy: 7kWh or 10kWh
Continuous Power: 2kW
Peak Power: 3kW
Round Trip Efficiency: >92%
Operating Temperature Range: -20C (-4F) to 43C (110F)
Warranty: 10 years
Dimensions: H: 1300mm W: 860mm D:180mm
Tesla channel partners for the Powerwall
Treehouse
TreeHouse, a sustainable home improvement store, is collaborating with Tesla to sell the Powerwall home battery. “For the first time, running your home on a battery will be affordable and easy,” says TreeHouse co-founder and president Jason Ballard. “I think in the near future, having a battery in your home will be as normal as having a water heater or a dishwasher.” Ballard added, “This just takes us one step closer to being able to power homes completely without the use of fossil fuels.”

SolarEdge
SolarEdge, a leader in the global PV inverter market, and Tesla partnered for the joint development of a PV storage and backup power solution for the worldwide residential solar market. Building on SolarEdge’s proven DC optimized inverter proven and Tesla's leading automotive-grade battery technology, the solution will require only a single SolarEdge inverter to manage both PV and storage functions. The system is designed for efficient, outdoor installation and includes remote monitoring and troubleshooting to keep operations and maintenance costs low.

Founded in 2006, SolarEdge provides an intelligent inverter solution that has changed the way power is harvested and managed in solar photovoltaic systems. The SolarEdge DC optimized inverter system maximizes power generation at the individual PV module-level while lowering the cost of energy produced by the solar PV system. Since beginning commercial shipments in 2010, SolarEdge has shipped more than 1.3 Gigawatt (‘‘GW’’) of its DC optimized inverter systems, including over 220,000 inverters, its products have been installed in PV systems in more than 73 countries, and more than 100,000 systems are monitored in its cloud-based monitoring portal.

Green Mountain Power
At Green Mountain Power we are thrilled to bring Tesla’s innovative home battery storage to Vermont as part of a radical transformation of how energy is generated and used to empower customers to save money and increase reliability and resiliency. As Vermont’s energy company of the future, we are turning the old utility model on its head, and offering products and services to help Vermonters use less energy and one day rely on the grid as a backup system. GMP is focused on a future that moves away from dirty inefficient sources of energy to a clean, sustainable and cost effective energy future. The Tesla home battery storage option will speed up the pace of change and keep Vermont on the cutting edge of innovation.”

Tesla Energy for Businesses
Based on the powertrain architecture and components of Tesla electric vehicles, Tesla energy storage systems deliver broad application compatibility and streamlined installation by integrating batteries, power electronics, thermal management and controls into a turn key system.

Tesla’s energy storage allows businesses to capture the full potential of their facility’s solar arrays by storing excess generation for later use and delivering solar power at all times. Business Storage anticipates and discharges stored power during a facility’s times of highest usage, reducing the demand charge component of the energy energy bills.

Energy storage for business is designed to:

Maximize consumption of on-site clean power
Avoid peak demand charges
Buy electricity when it’s cheapest
Get paid by utility or intermediate service providers for participating in grid services
Back up critical business operations in the event of a power outage
Tesla Energy businesses
Amazon
Launched in 2006, Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers a robust, fully featured technology infrastructure platform in the cloud comprised of a broad set of compute, storage, database, analytics, application, and deployment services from data center locations in the U.S., Australia, Brazil, China, Germany, Ireland, Japan, and Singapore. More than a million customers, including fast-growing startups, large enterprises, and government agencies across 190 countries, rely on AWS services to innovate quickly, lower IT costs, and scale applications globally. To serve these customers, AWS is committed to operating in the most environmentally friendly way possible. In addition to the environmental benefits inherently associated with running applications in the cloud, AWS has a long-term commitment to achieve 100% renewable energy usage for its global infrastructure footprint. Today, three AWS Regions are 100% carbon-neutral, including US West (Oregon), EU (Frankfurt), and AWS GovCloud (US).

“We’ve been working closely with Tesla for the past year to drive innovative applications of high-capacity battery technology in data center applications with the ultimate goal of reducing the technical barriers limiting widespread adoption of renewables in the grid,” said James Hamilton, Distinguished Engineer at AWS. “Batteries are important for both data center reliability and as enablers for the efficient application of renewable power. They help bridge the gap between intermittent production, from sources like wind, and the data center’s constant power demands. We're excited to roll out a 4.8 megawatt hour pilot of Tesla’s energy storage batteries in our US West (Northern California) Region. This complements our strategy to use renewable energy to power our global infrastructure.”

Target
“As part of Target’s support to our communities, we’re excited to partner with Tesla on a pilot test at select Target stores to incorporate Tesla Energy Storage as part of our energy strategy,” said David Hughes, senior group manager, Energy Management, Target. “Tesla’s cutting-edge technology offers unique benefits to powering these stores, most importantly relieving stress from the electrical grid at peak times, furthering Target’s investment in designing and operating energy-efficient and sustainable buildings.”

Jackson Family Wines
Jackson Family Wines (JFW) is a collection of premium and luxury wineries best known for its acclaimed Kendall-Jackson Winery. Sustainability is intentional at JFW; we have taken a two-fold approach to energy management at our wineries by improving operational efficiency across all levels of our organization and reinvesting those savings in onsite renewable energy systems.

With Tesla’s stationary energy storage solution, JFW can significantly mitigate energy use around four areas that account for the most consumption in our winemaking process: refrigeration/cooling, lighting, compressed air and process water treatment. Each battery pack will draw electricity from the grid or our onsite solar arrays during times of low demand and store it for later use to smooth out energy spikes.

EnerNoc
EnerNOC’s energy intelligence software helps customers make the most of Tesla’s energy storage systems by integrating them into an overall energy management strategy. EnerNOC’s software easily integrates with any site that has a Tesla energy storage system, optimizing battery usage during high price periods and enabling customers to utilize batteries for demand charge management and demand response.

Tesla Energy for Utility applications

For utility scale systems, 100kWh battery blocks are grouped to scale from 500kWh to 10MWh+. These systems are capable of 2hr or 4hr continuous net discharge power using grid tied bi-directional inverters.

Systems support applications including peak shaving, load shifting and demand response for commercial customers while offering, renewable firming and a variety of grid services at utility scales.

Tesla Utility Storage is designed to:

Firm up renewable generation by reconciling the intermittency of power from these sources and storing excess capacity to dispatch when it’s needed.
Increase resource capacity. Utility Storage acts as on-demand distributed power generation, contributing to the overall generating capacity while adding resiliency to the grid.
Ramp Control. Utility Storage can act as a buffer while the power output from a large generation source is ramping up or down, delivering power instantly to smoothly transition output to the required level.
Improve power quality by preventing fluctuations from propagating to downstream loads.
Defer costly and time-consuming infrastructure upgrades.
Manage peak demand by deploying power within seconds or milliseconds.
Utility Projects with Tesla Energy

Advanced Microgrid Solutions (grid resource adequacy)
“Tesla’s bold approach to advancing battery technology will change the way we build our cities forever” -Susan Kennedy, co-founder and CEO of Advanced Microgrid Solutions.

OnCor (microgrid)
Oncor realizes the electric industry is changing as well as our customers’ needs for electric service. Oncor believes the only way to prepare for customers’ future needs is with a flexible, adaptive electric grid which can only be accomplished through the use of technology like advanced meters, smart grid and electric storage. Tesla has long demonstrated its ability to be a technology leader which is why Oncor has looked to Tesla for grid-scale storage. Oncor looks forward to working with Tesla to make sure the electric grid meets all customers’ future needs.

Southern California Edison
Edison International is proud of its efforts to help create a market for battery storage systems and its work with Tesla to bring this technology to customers. Southern California Edison (SCE), the regulated utility subsidiary of Edison International, has developed the nation’s largest battery storage system and has contracts in place for an additional 264 megawatts of storage, including projects using Tesla batteries. SCE is working with Tesla on three demonstration projects that can help drive down the cost of battery storage systems for residential and business customers, as well as EV drivers. These demand response demonstration projects will test communication capabilities and explore rebates to customers who allow SCE to manage their battery charging in order to increase the use of renewable energy while ensuring continued grid reliability.

SoCore Energy, a subsidiary of Edison Energy, which is Edison International’s portfolio of competitive businesses and equity interests in emerging companies, is working with a client to design and install Tesla batteries at two of their retail properties in Southern California. The sites will feature Tesla battery units that will be charged with electricity from the grid during nonpeak hours at night. The two battery systems will be able to store up to 400 kilowatts and 600 kilowatts, respectively. SoCore Energy is working with its client to identify additional locations for potential battery installations. SoCore Energy is not the same company as Southern California Edison, the utility, and SoCore Energy is not regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission.

AES (solar paired at a utility level)
Tesla Motors' commitment to battery production will help meet the growing demand for energy storage; as a launch partner, we are particularly pleased to leverage the home battery product across our distributed energy platforms. AES has been providing grid-scale energy storage solutions for seven years, building on more than 30 years of experience serving utilities with power solutions that improve lives.The AES Advancion™ digital control system for energy storage manages best-in-class batteries and other components for both centralized and distributed storage systems. In addition, AES’ world-class capability in engineering, installation and operations and maintenance enable turnkey energy storage solutions from KWs to hundreds of MW for utilities and end customers.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 05-01-2015 at 01:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
doopstr (05-01-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
that price is pretty damn reasonable... i wouldn't mind looking into my own solar setup with that kind of backup battery...
Old 05-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

I can't get past the fact that I don't want the headache of trying to get a roof leak fixed if solar panels are on my roof. Plus some of my neighbors have them and I think they are an eyesore.

Last edited by doopstr; 05-04-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
I can't get past the fact that I don't want the headache of trying to get a roof leak fixed if solar panels are on my roof. Plus some of my neighbors have them and I think they are an eyesore.
wouldn't the solar panels help extend the life and protect the roof???

as long as the front of your house isn't south facing, you can hide them from street view???
Old 05-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
wouldn't the solar panels help extend the life and protect the roof???

as long as the front of your house isn't south facing, you can hide them from street view???
Don't know the answer to #1 but I sure don't want to have to pay someone to pull the panels off of my roof so that a roofer can fix some small leak.

As for the second question, impossible for me to hide as my house is on a corner. For the ones I see in my neighborhood it looks like they take up as much roof real estate as possible.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Damn I love watching Moog's pretentious comments get proven so entirely wrong. What a tool.

doopstr, which is worse, looking at solar panels on the roofs of nice homes or smog? That goes along the lines of HOAs telling people to water their grass during critical droughts. There are so much more important things.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Thass Wassup!

So... who's invested? I sure did back then. I'm glad I did.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,581 Likes on 6,628 Posts
me too
Old 11-03-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Wtf missed profit and revenue and shares spike 8.5%

Old 02-10-2016, 03:52 PM
_

After Hours : $161.35 - Up $17.68 (12.31%) 4:46PM EST

Tesla Projects Fast Growth to Maybe 90,000 Deliveries in 2016 - Bloomberg Business

Tesla Projects Fast Growth to Maybe 90,000 Deliveries in 2016

- Forecast bolsters investors despite fourth-quarter loss
- Automaker says smaller Model 3 sedan will be revealed March 31

Tesla Motors Inc. rose in extended trading after the electric-car maker led by Elon Musk forecast 16,000 deliveries in the first quarter and as many as 90,000 worldwide this year, cheering investors.

The outlook, included with fourth-quarter results in a letter to investors posted on Tesla’s website, would be an increase of as much as 78 percent from the 50,658 cars and sport utility vehicles delivered last year. Deliveries should total at least 80,000, the company said. Excluding some items, the company lost 87 cents a share, compared with the average analyst estimate for a 10-cent profit.

Tesla Shares Rise on Higher Revenue - Fortune

Tesla Shares Rise on Higher Revenue

Tesla Motors reported a quarterly loss for the eleventh straight quarter as higher sales of its Model S sedans failed to offset rising costs.

The Silicon Valley electric car maker said net loss nearly tripled to $320.4 million, or $2.44 per share, in the fourth quarter ended Dec. 31 from $107.6 million, or 86 cents per share, a year earlier.

Revenue rose nearly 27% to $1.21 billion.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:27 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy buy
Old 03-31-2016, 02:34 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Model 3 announcement tonight @ 830PM PST

Thousands are lining up already at Tesla motor stores around the world to reserve one
Old 03-31-2016, 02:46 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
I wouldn't buy right away. Investors know this already so the current share price already reflects the model 3 announcement.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:40 PM
Team Owner

People lining up at the stores, meanwhile those that reserve online will get in front of them. Or are those inline somehow first?

Ah I fail, stores got preorders before online.

Last edited by doopstr; 03-31-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:59 PM
_

Up. Down. Up. Down.

Over 300,000 Model 3 reservations by now. I don't see how they're going to be able to meet the demand on time.

They just reported that they delivered 14,820 vehicles during Jan-Mar quarter, short of their own 16,000 delivery forecast. And they still think they'll be able to deliver 80,000 to 90,000 vehicles this year?

After Hours : $237.80 - Down $9.19 (-3.72%) 5:54PM EDT

Tesla Reports Lower Than Expected First-Quarter Sales - WSJ

Tesla Reports Lower Than Expected First-Quarter Sales

April 4, 2016 4:49 p.m. ET

Tesla Motors Inc. said its first-quarter global sales rose 50% to 14,820, lower than anticipated, as the company says it dealt with supplier shortages caused by its own “hubris.”

The company had forecast 16,000 deliveries in the first quarter, a bit lower than the 17,400 it delivered to customers in the final three months of 2015. The company reports sales quarterly and doesn’t break out the sales by region.

Tesla delivered 12,420 Model S sedans and 2,400 Model X sport-utility vehicles in the first three months of the year. Tesla said it had trouble with several parts in the Model X as a result of its own “hubris in adding far too much new technology to the Model X in version 1.” The company said it also lacked sufficient in-house capability to produce some of the parts.

Still, Tesla said it was producing 750 Model X vehicles a day by the end of March, which is roughly full capacity, and that it would maintain its forecast of 80,000 to 90,000 deliveries in 2016.

Tesla’s sales have continued to grow as it expands to new markets and increases its production capability. It sold just over 50,000 vehicles in 2015. Tesla said its orders in the first quarter exceeded its deliveries by a “wide margin’ in the first quarter.

The report comes days after Tesla started taking reservations for its Model 3, a compact sedan that seats five and has a range of 215 miles or more on a charge. Through Saturday, Tesla had logged 276,000 reservations, each held by a $1,000 refundable deposit.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:09 PM
_

Musk said Tesla would be able to deliver over 100,000 vehicles by the end of 2015, but they only managed to deliver 50,557.

Tesla Ready to Pump Out 100,000 Cars Per Year by 2015 - Bloomberg

Tesla Ready to Pump Out 100,000 Cars Per Year by 2015

July 31, 2014

With investors far more interested in what’s ahead than what’s happening right now, Musk predicted that Tesla should be capable of delivering more than 100,000 cars per year by the end of 2015. He expects about half to be the existing Model S sedan and the other half to be the Model X, which will start shipping early next year.

Musk said Tesla would deliver more than 50,000 vehicles in 2014. They only delivered 31,655.

Tesla Building 60,000 Cars By 2015 - Business Insider

Tesla Surges After Announcing A Massive Expansion

Aug. 1, 2014

Tesla shares were up as much as 4% in early Friday trading after reporting adjusted earnings and revenue that beat expectations Wednesday afternoon.

The big news was that they now envision delivering 100,000 vehicles on an annualized basis next year. This year their goal is a little more than 50,000, so this is a huge leap.

Last edited by AZuser; 04-04-2016 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Tesla IPO, would you?