Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

How much am I worth

Old 01-30-2004, 08:23 AM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much am I worth

The new thing I've noticed on applications is to "bid " on jobs where you put basically if you were to get this job what are you worth. I hate to "low ball" myself but I wanna be fair.
I'm going to be graduating in a year.
but I'll have assoiciates in business admistration
B.S. in Business Admistration with a minor in Info Tech
a assoiciates in Agribusiness Management.
I've managed a Lawn Matience firm for about 5-6 years.
I have 1000's of hours of firefighting/EMT training.(if that's worth anything).
my GPA in college was 2.5 cum and in high school it was a 3.0.
I hardly missed any days in college (maybe 1 or 2 a year).
Old 01-30-2004, 09:05 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

j/k
Old 01-30-2004, 09:11 AM
Stay or leave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no matter what there is always some one more qualified, i'm not being mean but your rap sheet doesn't sound that impressive. Its all about how you sell yourself and how much confidence you have in interviews. I'll be honest, the missed days in school don't really account for shit, the firefighting hours probably don't apply unless you want an EMS or some sort of firefighter job, your cum in college was sub par and to top it off a B.S. in business Admin isn't special cause its not a specialized field. I graduated with a B.S.B.A. (double majors) business management and Finance degrees and honestly they barely helped and my cum was like a 3.0 or above in both. and tons of other stupid fillers on my resume but what really gets you jobs is selling your self at interviews and answering questions with answers you know they are looking for. so the point here, BE CONFIDENT
Old 01-30-2004, 09:47 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
just like reddly said, the 2.5 gpa is below what some would consider above above average. most co's look at 3.0 or above unless you have extensive training or work skills. but if you can sell yourself around your other accomplishments you can do anything. a high gpa does not guarantee anything
Old 01-30-2004, 10:55 AM
I LOVE MY CAR

What school are you graduating from?? how well is it respected??

Business Admin is kind of a fluff degree to only have a 2.5 GPA in, that will probably hurt your value, unless it's from one of the best schools out there.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:13 PM
go like hell

i'll graduate from UNOH. Universitity of Northwestern of Ohio.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by Water-S
Do they not teach spelling and grammar at that school.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I wanna go to a Universitity
Old 01-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Damn -- like watching a train wreck, I had to click on this thread...

The University of Northwestern Ohio? Who are you kidding? Who are they kidding by calling themselves a University?

From their website http://www.unoh.edu:

College of Technologies
The College of Technologies offers Associate Degrees and Diplomas in:

HVAC
Automotive
High Performance Motorsports
Diesel - Medium/Heavy Truck
Agricultural Equipment
Alternative Fuels

College of Business
The College of Business offers Baccalaureate Degrees, Associate Degrees, and Diplomas in:

Accounting
Agribusiness
Business
Computer Technology
Health Technology
Office Technology
Paralegal
Travel & Tourism
Specialized Studies
Maybe I'm a bit traditional in my thinking, but IMHO this is a vocational school. This is not an academic institution. C'mon, an academic degree in air conditioning!!!

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not mocking those that choose a vocational career or get vocational degrees. I'm not mocking vocational schools. BUT, I will mock those that think a business degree from a vocational school is worth the paper it's printed on. How much are they ripping you off for this? The bursar's office must use the 'SUCKER' rubber stamp all too much when they get their checks together for deposit.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:11 PM
go like hell

Originally posted by Slimey
Damn -- like watching a train wreck, I had to click on this thread...

The University of Northwestern Ohio? Who are you kidding? Who are they kidding by calling themselves a University?

From their website http://www.unoh.edu:

Maybe I'm a bit traditional in my thinking, but IMHO this is a vocational school. This is not an academic institution. C'mon, an academic degree in air conditioning!!!

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not mocking those that choose a vocational career or get vocational degrees. I'm not mocking vocational schools. BUT, I will mock those that think a business degree from a vocational school is worth the paper it's printed on. How much are they ripping you off for this? The bursar's office must use the 'SUCKER' rubber stamp all too much when they get their checks together for deposit.
it's not a vocational degree. It's a regular college. they split the college by Technical(like the HVAC and auto diesel) and then business degrees are the ones like seen below.
we are private and one of the thriving schools in Ohio.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:35 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

oh. :o
Old 01-30-2004, 05:29 PM
Where is my super sauce?

...It's a regular college...
Go ahead and keep telling yourself that -- maybe a 'regular college', but no where close to being a respectable university.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Safety Car

Fine, I'll entertain this thread.

Based on where you live and the cost of living and the degree you will receive, I think you would not be worth more than 30-35k a year.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:36 AM
I LOVE MY CAR

Originally posted by BigPimp
Fine, I'll entertain this thread.

Based on where you live and the cost of living and the degree you will receive, I think you would not be worth more than 30-35k a year.
$35k seems like a HIGH estimate to me.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
oh shit thats some pretty cold remarks guys...

stick to firefighting bro...and start from scratch in the business world as part time.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:54 PM
2004 Euro Cup Champions

fuckin ruthless.

water, you decide. if you feel like you have to be measured by your level of education then its your choice.

but you could always just work hard and maybe that would speak for itself?

schools don't always matter guys. they help alot, but they don't make a person who they are. Just cause you graduate from harvard doesn't mean you have it all. and just cause you graduate from community college doesn't mean your are going to fail either.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

u guys are really confidence inspiring

good advice there homie

if ur willing 2 bust ur ass and make smart i.e. rational sacrifices, theres no reason why u cant be pulling in 6digits or living well
Old 02-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by dets
fuckin ruthless.

water, you decide. if you feel like you have to be measured by your level of education then its your choice.

but you could always just work hard and maybe that would speak for itself?

schools don't always matter guys. they help alot, but they don't make a person who they are. Just cause you graduate from harvard doesn't mean you have it all. and just cause you graduate from community college doesn't mean your are going to fail either.

my boss minored in comp sci, and got his masters for a community college, and he makes 6 figures
Old 02-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Stay or leave

anyone could make 6 figures, the people who started the company where i work which got bought out buy a much larger corporation all make 6 figures easy, and most of them don't have any kind of degree. You just have to find a niche and be good at what you do. What goes around comes around in the work place for real
Old 02-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Old timer

If I had that question on a job app I'd write "negotiable". If they wanna play ball they'll be intrigued and bring it up during the interview. If they suck and toss the app for that, I don't want to work there anyway.

An employee is more than just a dollar amount in almost any job, and even if you did write in a number, if they really care that much about numbers, they'll have to add many back-end numbers as well such as paid vacation/sick leave, how much it costs them to insure you, etc.

One of the many avenues to take if asked why I wrote "negotiable" is that it's more than just the money that matters. A dollar figure isn't the entire picture of self-worth or value to the company, and definitely not the entire picture of what I am looking for in my compensation. What benefits do they offer, etc. Flex hours to avoid rush hour commute? 401k with matching? etc. That stuff matters to me too.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Old timer

This would be an edit if we didnt have this gay 5 minute limit

I'm ready to sell myself and my skill sets so I want to discuss my worth in person not with a dollar amount written on an application, especially since I can't feel out if they want me to go high to show self esteem or low to get the job by beating other numbers.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:48 AM
go like hell

I know with business admistration it's a "very open"major because you can do marketing,management, or about anything.

but if all I'll make is 35 grand. Hell I'll go take my full timer test(for firefighting)
make 40-45 grand right out of the gate. plus get EXCELLENT retirement,and be a goverment employee.so you get all those little goverment benefits. . only thing that sucks is after I'm done with my business admistration and Ag major. I'll have about another 1.5 year of school left for my EMT,and 240 certification(for my full time) because I got first responder in EMT and my volunteer firefighter certification and no full time dept will hire me with just a volunteer and first responder certification.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:21 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

I'd be surprised if anybody graduating is getting $35k to start off.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
water-s. start thinking outside of the mind-fuck box you and so many others like you have lemming'd yourselves into these days. the wealthiest people i know didn't do what everyone else did...many don't have degrees...they just get out there, think of a good idea for making $ and do it. you already set a price tag on your head. all these people here telling you aren't worth shit because of your degree/school...fuck that. i say if you do what everyone else does, and listen to what everyone else says, you'll end up somewhere around average. average money. average life. aim higher than that and don't put a price tag on your head at such a young age. think about what you do best then think about how you can capitalize on that. invent the next generation of firefighting technology or something...but don't listen to these guys telling you about your limits. you're young and you don't have any.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Stay or leave

idiot we are not telling him his limits, we are telling him what he has to work with.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

i think ur pretty worthless imo....

ha!
Old 02-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Reddly9007
idiot we are not telling him his limits, we are telling him what he has to work with.

yeah within the confinements of working for some company who will pay him his so called 'market value'. my point, and sorry i don't speak chimp, otherwise i'd translate for you, is that he has so many other options available to him which would alllow him to decide how much he's worth...like starting his own company...etc.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Dom418
I'd be surprised if anybody graduating is getting $35k to start off.
What rock are you living under? If you're just speaking in general you need to check your facts. 90% of last year's graduating class in my major (info. sci. & tech.) here at PSU started at 52k or something....my sister started at 45k as an acutarial assistant. Starting salaries are pretty decent these days, that is if you're in the right field.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
I think starting your own company would be pretty damn hard, unless you find a niche where isn't much competition. I personally don't know anyone who started their own business - or hell, even worked for a startup who hasn't gotten laid off.
I'm not saying it can't be done, but think carefully before you go that route.

Anyway, do you really want to be a fireman? Would that make you happy, on a full time basis?

Just because you start at a lower-than-you want salary doesn't mean much. Sure, you may have to bust your ass to prove yourself, but if you make yourself a valuable asset to a company, the sky's the limit, unless the company goes under.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:56 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Good Luck.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:21 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

Originally posted by Mike97 3.0P
What rock are you living under? If you're just speaking in general you need to check your facts. 90% of last year's graduating class in my major (info. sci. & tech.) here at PSU started at 52k or something....my sister started at 45k as an acutarial assistant. Starting salaries are pretty decent these days, that is if you're in the right field.
I meant from the school and in the town that was mentioned in this thread....