Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Gold?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
The role of gold

CHATHAM House yesterday launched a report on the role of gold in the international monetary system. It is a noteworthy event, not least because the group's last study on the issue was in September 1931, just as Britain was about to leave the gold standard, accelerating the system's demise (Keynes was on the original working group).

It seems a subject that is at least worthy of consideration, not least because central banks the world over are pursuing policies that would, in earlier decades, have been considered highly unorthodox. In recent days, I have ben struck by the number of investors who have told me that central banks have "thrown in the towel", citing the ECB's three year loans to banks (another €530 billion accepted today), the Bank of Japan's stepped-up commitment to QE, the extra £50 billion pledged by the Bank of England, the willingness of the Swiss to create money to cap their exchange rate and so on. The investors see all this as bullish for real assets, like equities, but potentially inflationary in the medium term.....
http://www.economist.com/blogs/butto..._the_economist
Old 04-06-2012, 12:17 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
So who's still in GLD and/or SLV?

Will they hit the Dec. 2011 lows again?? Buying opportunity?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
I've been buying gold.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 PM
_

GLD and SLV getting awfully close to their 52 week lows.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
Still
Old 05-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
GLD and SLV getting awfully close to their 52 week lows.
Yes they are. Of the two metals, GLD is outperforming SLV but they are certainly down a lot. I still hold positions in both metals but I'm thinking GLD might be the better pick for new positions at the moment. If you really want to see a pop on any future increase in GLD, you'll want to look at GDX which tracks the miners- that is seriously in the dumps and should snap back quick when gold stops dropping.

I would hope that GLD (149.46) holds to its 100 WEEK exp. moving average which is 147.62 so it's potentially $2 from that target drop level. If the 100 week doesn't hold, then it could be rough all the way down to the 200 WEEK exp moving average at 127.49.

The big question I have is: is this the year that gold fails to make a yearly gain? It's been a long streak, but the fundamentals for why it has increased hasn't changed. A bounce up off the 100 week would make me want to pickup new positions for trading the streak.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Predictions for gold price at the end of the year?

$2250 is mine, especially if the Euro goes
Old 05-18-2012, 10:06 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I wanted to buy a few years ago. Put it off. I think I'll give it a go.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Drifting

www.bulliondirect.com has a deal on gold purchase until 6/30/12- highly recommend the Nucleo Market instead of buying off catalog.

Dollar cost average and you should not having any problems at these levels if you have a reasonable time horizon. Once gold moves it's going to move fast so Ken's $2250 is certainly possible this year but it's more probable next year.

I see $1800 gold by end of the year for a continuation of the trend of ever-increasing prices year over year
Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 AM
I feel the need...

The Real Cost of Owning Gold

http://www.bloomberg.com/consumer-sp...ning-gold.html
Old 06-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Drifting

^ I guess that is why I would never buy gold from Kitco. You get a much better deal at BD. There is no storage fee and the Nucleo market is very reasonable.
Just because one vendor sucks doesn't make it a bad investment.

I had to chuckle at some of that articles reasons for not holding gold: tax rate (most people hold for long term and sales would be under the table anyway), storage fees or costs of safe (does anyone really think an $88 Walmart safe is going to stop thieves? You're much better off hiding in your bathroom or somewhere else). I imagine there is a strong correlation to holding gold and owning firearms so no argument there. And of coarse there is a high chance of government involvement regarding confiscation since it's been done before.

With all that said, those .1 oz Krugs are looking pretty enticing at $178. They are small and should appreciate rapidly as gold goes higher.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:56 AM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
And of coarse there is a high chance of government involvement regarding confiscation since it's been done before.
I'm thinking that hoarding Scotch seems like a better idea. Much cheaper, under the radar, very tradable and last but not least: liquid. :wink:
The following users liked this post:
mrsteve (08-24-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Drifting

^ yes indeed. It even ages well too. I like the thinking. Scotch has just a few issues- it's bulky and subject to spillage.

But with diversification in mind, a good Dalmore Scotch would be a nice supplement to the holdings.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Drifting

On another note, Gold (I use GLD for technicals) did a textbook bounce of its support level on Friday. It penetrated the 100 week average of 149.46 midweek, but stayed above the daily chart low of 148.25 and closed well at 157.50.

This next week will be very interesting to track- I think we might see a substantial 'pop' in prices if Friday's action is any indicator. Perhaps the gold bear market has ended?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 PM
_

SLV hit a new 52 week low ($25.34) today. Seems to be testing its support again. Hopefully it bounces back, otherwise it falls to....

Silver Settles At 19-Month Low

The carnage in commodities has now pushed silver to a 19-month low. But as ETF Trends’ John Spence notes, there’s no visible rush for the exits from the iShares Silver Trust (SLV), the popular exchange-traded fund tracking the metal. Not at this point.

We may be getting close to dangerous territory, though. Michael Shaoul of Marketfield Asset Management predicts that if silver can’t hold $26 — that’s 22 cents from current levels — then financial investors (e.g., ETF holders and other non-industrial buyers) could push this market into a truly nasty torpor:

The clear danger is that a breach of key support could pressure financial holders to start to trim their positions, leading to a more disorderly decline in the metal. Our assumption is that a failure to hold $26 would lead to a fairly abrupt decline down to the point that silver commenced its parabolic rise in late 2010, which is approximately $17.50.
http://blogs.barrons.com/focusonfund...d=yahoobarrons

GLD seems to be holding and has built a floor at around $148 - $149
Old 06-28-2012, 03:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Commodities prices are falling everywhere......what possibly could that mean...

Have no fear...recovery is here!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:00 PM
_

Nice 4% bounce back for SLV

Oil up $6.xx (8.5%)
Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Republicans eye return to gold standard

The gold standard has returned to mainstream US politics for the first time in 30 years, with a “gold commission” set to become part of official Republican party policy.

Drafts of the party platform, which it will adopt at a convention in Tampa Bay, Florida, next week, call for an audit of Federal Reserve monetary policy and a commission to look at restoring the link between the dollar and gold.

The move shows how five years of easy monetary policy – and the efforts of congressman Ron Paul – have made the once-fringe idea of returning to gold-as-money a legitimate part of Republican debate.

Marsha Blackburn, a Republican congresswoman from Tennessee and co-chair of the platform committee, said the issues were not adopted merely to placate Mr Paul and the delegates that he picked up during his campaign for the party’s nomination.

“These were adopted because they are things that Republicans agree on,” Ms Blackburn told the Financial Times. “The House recently passed a bill on this, and this is something that we think needs to be done.”

The proposal is reminiscent of the Gold Commission created by former president Ronald Reagan in 1981, 10 years after Richard Nixon broke the link between gold and the dollar during the 1971 oil crisis. That commission ultimately supported the status quo.

“There is a growing recognition within the Republican party and in America more generally that we’re not going to be able to print our way to prosperity,” said Sean Fieler, chairman of the American Principles Project, a conservative group that has pushed for a return to the gold standard.

A commission would have no power except to make recommendations, but Mr Fieler said it would provide a chance to educate politicians and the public about the merits of a return to gold. “We’re not going to go from a standing start to the gold standard,” he said.

The Republican platform in 1980 referred to “restoration of a dependable monetary standard”, while the 1984 platform said that “the gold standard may be a useful mechanism”. More recent platforms did not mention it.
Any commission on a return to the gold standard would have to address a host of theoretical, empirical and practical issues.

Inflation has remained under control in recent years, despite claims that expansion of the Fed’s balance sheet would lead to runaway price rises, while gold has been highly volatile. The price of the metal is up by more than 500 per cent in dollar terms over the past decade.

A return to a fixed money supply would also remove the central bank’s ability to offset demand shocks by varying interest rates. That could mean a more volatile economy and higher average unemployment over time.
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/06ebf...#axzz24Jr9Ch1t
Old 08-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Drifting

Both gold and silver appear to be breaking out now. They both cleared the 200 day Exp Moving Average this week so there is lot of room to increase.

GLD is 161.99 - year end target price is: 170 - up 3.3% so far this week
SLV is 29.60 - year end target price is: 35 - up 8.7% so far this week

Best of luck- I think you'll be wanting some exposure to paper holdings or the real metal this year and next.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Why Return to Gold Standard Is Seen By Some as 'Ludicrous'
http://www.cnbc.com/id/48776347
The Republican Party’s idea to relook at the gold standard is ludicrous and nonsensical, and is simply a plan put forward by the political opposition to score points, according to analysts.

The Financial Times reported on Friday that the Republican Party plans to set up a commission to look into re-establishing the link between the dollar and gold as part of its platform to be unveiled at the party convention in Tampa Bay, Fla., next week.

But analysts told CNBC that the idea would not work.

“I think it’s absolutely nonsensical,” Moorad Choudhry, head of treasury at the corporate banking division of the Royal Bank of Scotland told CNBC Friday. “There’s a very good reason they unhooked it in 1971, because their deficit didn’t enable them to maintain it with the supply of gold. In fact, is there enough gold in the world to back the U.S. debt?”

U.S. federal debt grew to $15 trillion at the end of 2011 from around $400 billion in 1971.

The Richard Nixon administration originally broke the link between gold and the dollar in the early 1970s amid surging inflation (learn more), rising costs from the Vietnam War, and an oil crisis.

Before that, fixed amounts of gold were directly convertible to the U.S. dollar and vice versa. That meant money supply theoretically was limited by the amount of gold backing it, and exchange rates were based on the difference in price for an ounce of gold between the dollar and a foreign currency.

“The idea for the U.S. economy is fiscal retrenchment, but it isn’t the gold standard,” Choudhry said, adding that the U.K. tried the same idea in the 1920s to no avail.

“The U.S. deficit since 1971 is exponentially greater in size and it’s not possible now, whether you want to fight inflation, whether you want to fight fiscal control, gold standard is not the answer.”

Ralph Silva, director at Silva Research Network, told CNBC that when politicians were in opposition they could say “some ludicrous things.”

“Back in the ’50s and before that, when you were making economic decisions on a quarterly basis you could move slowly. You’ve got to make decisions on a quarter-of-a-second basis here, and having a gold standard doesn’t allow you to make those changes as quickly,” he told CNBC Friday.

Silva said however that a gold standard would benefit Canadian and South African gold miners, as there simply wasn’t enough of the commodity available to back the money supply.

But the Republican proposal may not come to much. In 1981, for example, former U.S. President Ronald Reagan created a “gold commission” which decided not to go back to the gold standard.

Mary Jo Jacobi, former special assistant to President Reagan and Assistant U.S. Secretary of Commerce for President George G.W. Bush, told CNBC that a lot of the Republican Party faithful are keen to look at the adoption of the gold standard.

However, she couldn’t confirm it was an idea put forward by Mitt Romney’s newly announced running mate, Paul Ryan.

“As I understand it there is an ‘audit the Fed’ plank in the Republican platform that was drafted yesterday,“ she said, suggesting that the GOP are planning to scrutinize the U.S. Federal Reserve (learn more) as a key part of their election manifesto.

“What the commission will be able to do is look at all of the issues big and small,” she said. “Utah accepts gold now as a medium of exchange, so what do you do about all the gold that’s out there when you have the federal government, the central bank holding it?”

Jacobi accepted that in the short term a return to the gold standard would be highly destabilizing, despite it being designed to naturally control government spending. She also conceded that in the short term it may mean more volatility and unemployment (learn more), as the central bank wouldn’t be able to vary interest rates in certain situations.

Both analysts, Choudry and Silva, said the key goal for the U.S. should be fiscal discipline with the economy set to be the key issue in this November's presidential election.

“I’m always intrigued how (Paul Ryan’s) prescription for cutting public expenditure looks at things like medical care and things like that, not at say the defense budget,” Choudhry said.
“You could pull out of Afghanistan and save yourself a few hundred billion dollars a year. We didn’t have to fight wars through the last ten years and spend maybe a trillion on that.”
Old 08-24-2012, 02:13 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Clearly we cannot go back to a gold standard as we knew it.

...but is interesting in terms of gold and commodities talk.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
don't want to read 10 pages but what would be a reasonable percentage of your portfolio to put in gold/metals? 20%?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Drifting

Kramer says up to 20%. Of coarse, Buffet says 0%. Perhaps 10% is reasonable to hedge between these two opinions. I think everybody should have at least 1% as a minimum.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Drifting

If we get to a gold standard (which I doubt), I think the values would be $2000 for gold and $100 for silver. That would preserve the historic ratio between the two metals and also reflect the current valuations we have. The problem is a gold standard would really force the government to live within its means. Think of how life would be for many people without credit cards and other forms of consumer debt. That's what a gold standard means to this country.

It's no stretch to see $2000 gold by year end- it's moved $100 in 6 weeks and $60 in 3 weeks. We have 17 weeks left in the year.

Last edited by LaCostaRacer; 08-29-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

The Gold Standard Goes Mainstream

An under-reported development of this campaign season is the Republican Party's decision this week to send Gov. Mitt Romney into the presidential race on a platform effectively calling for a new gold commission. The realization that America's system of fiat money is part of its economic problem is moving from the fringes of political discussion to the center.

This is a sharp contrast from the last time a gold commission was convened, in 1981, a decade after President Nixon abandoned the Bretton Woods system and opened the era of a fiat dollar. The 1981 commission recommended against restoring a gold basis to the dollar. But two members—Congressman Ron Paul and businessman-scholar Lewis Lehrman—dissented and outlined the case for gold.

The new platform doesn't use the word "gold," describing the 1981 United States Gold Commission as looking at a "metallic basis" for the dollar. But the metal was gold, and the new platform calls for a similar commission to investigate ways "to set a fixed value for the dollar."

What has stayed with me from 1981—I covered the commission as a young editorial writer for this newspaper—is how momentum for a new gold standard faded amid the successes of the supply-side revolution. President Reagan pushed through his tax reductions and Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker maintained tight money. Inflation was defeated. The value of the dollar, which had sunk below 1/800th of an ounce of gold during President Carter's last year in office, soared.

The 1981 commission was also stacked against a gold-backed dollar from the start. The ruling philosophy was monetarism—which, as propounded by Milton Friedman, seeks to keep prices steady by adjusting the money supply. The commission's executive director was Anna Schwartz, co-author of Friedman's "Monetary History of the United States," and the Democratic-controlled House held firm to monetarist orthodoxy.

Enlarge Image

Getty Images
Today things have changed. Both Friedman and Schwartz died as heroes of capitalism and freedom, but monetarism lacks the sway it once had. Even Friedman before he died seemed to adjust his thinking on using the quantity of money as a target. Schwartz predicted that monetary instability would be a breeding ground for a restoration for the role of gold.

In the ferment within today's Republican Party, the gold standard has become almost the centrist position. On the left would be those who favor a system of discretionary activism in which brilliant technocrats, such as Ben Bernanke at the Fed, use their judgment in setting interest rates. A bit to their right would be advocates of a rule, such as John Taylor's rule linking interest rates to various conditions, or one that requires the Fed to target the price of gold but stops short of defining the dollar in terms of specie.

In the center would be advocates of a classical gold standard, in which a dollar is defined as a fixed amount of gold. These include, among others, Mr. Lehrman, James Grant of Grant's Interest Rate Observer, publisher Steve Forbes, economist Judy Shelton, and Sean Fieler of the American Principles Project.

A bit further to the right would be partisans of the Austrian school of economics, including Rep. Paul. He advocates less for a gold standard than for an idea of Friedrich Hayek, the Nobel laureate who came to favor what he called the denationalization of money and a system centered on private coinage and currency that would compete with government-issued money. Further right are purists such as the radical constitutionalist Edwin Vieira Jr., who would simply price things in weights of gold or silver.

A good bit of overlap exists among the camps, but Congress has come alive to all points on this spectrum. Rep. Kevin Brady, a Texas Republican who is vice chairman of the Joint Economic Committee, is seeking to pass the Sound Dollar Act, which would end the Fed's mandate to keep unemployment down, instead having the central bank focus only on stable prices. Rep. Paul is pressing the Free Competition in Currency Act, which would end legal tender and put Hayek's ideas into practice.

In the Senate, Jim DeMint, Mike Lee and Rand Paul are offering the Sound Money Promotion Act, which would remove the tax on the appreciation in the value of gold and silver coins that have been declared legal tender by the federal or a state government. Utah has already made gold and silver coins legal tender in the state.

Then there is Mr. Romney. In Paul Ryan he chose a running mate who understands the idea of sound money. In June 2010, as chairman of the House Budget Committee, Mr. Ryan asked Mr. Bernanke what he made of record-high prices of gold. (The value of the dollar had just slid to below 1/1,200th of an ounce of gold; it has since plunged to below 1/1,600th of an ounce.)

"I don't fully understand the movements in the gold price," Mr. Bernanke replied. He confessed his belief that some people were hedging "against the fact that they view many other investments as being risky and hard to predict at this point." No wonder the eventual House bill to audit the Fed passed with overwhelming bipartisan support.

This is the context in which Mr. Romney last week moved so pointedly to distance himself from a suggestion by one of his advisers, Glenn Hubbard, that Mr. Bernanke should be considered for another term. Mr. Romney made clear that he would be looking for a new Fed chairman, an important signal from a candidate who has made some mistakes—such as suggesting that monetary policy should be kept away from Congress. In fact, it is precisely to Congress that the Constitution (in Article 1, Section 8) grants the power to coin money and regulate the value thereof.

The New York Sun, the online paper I edit, has warned that a gold commission could prove to be the graveyard for sound money—on the principle that if one wants to bury an idea, one need but name a commission. But it's possible that a well-conceived and well-staffed gold commission could actually sort out the debate.

It's no small thing that Mr. Romney's platform calls for a gold commission and an audit of the Fed. The last Republican to run on a platform calling for a dollar "on a fully convertible gold basis" was Dwight Eisenhower, who cast the promise aside once in office. That's a strategic misstep for Mr. Romney, should he win in November, to avoid.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...218788846.html

Sure it may not be "possible" to return to the gold standard, but what is true is that the current Fiat Money policy will sink us.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:22 PM
One on the right for me

Are there any places to actually buy a bar of gold?
Old 08-30-2012, 06:46 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Are you talking about a "standard" gold bar I assume?

That's around 400-troy-ounce in size. Good luck buying that

You can buy a 10-ounce gold bullion bar. Those are common.

Additionally you can buy a 32-troy-ounce gold “kilobar” (one kilogram bar)
Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Drifting

The standard is what 1oz of gold costs. I wouldn't suggest buying bars of gold - a 1kg bar would cost about $53K if you really want one. Get the coins- and you can even buy .1 oz coins if you're want dime size coins. For Silver, get the Eagles, Maples, or basic Rounds and you'll be good. Go to www.bulliondirect.com and see what they have.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
So... fractional coins or 1oz coins?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Drifting

I own both. Like most things, the smaller units are more expensive than buying in bulk. The 1oz Krugerand goes for $1709 today and a .1oz coin is $206.

So if you want to have 10oz exposure to gold, it would be cheaper to simply buy 10 one oz coins instead of the 100 .1 oz coins. Sometimes, I'll find the .1oz or .25 oz coins for less than the equivalent 1oz but it's very rare. Check out the bullion nucleo exchange where people buy/sell and get the best deal compared to the normal catalog price.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Drifting

Anyone notice the 80 cent spike in silver prices after the Bernanke speech today? Oh yes, $2000/oz gold is very possible by year end.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:44 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

I own both. Like most things, the smaller units are more expensive than buying in bulk. The 1oz Krugerand goes for $1709 today and a .1oz coin is $206.

So if you want to have 10oz exposure to gold, it would be cheaper to simply buy 10 one oz coins instead of the 100 .1 oz coins. Sometimes, I'll find the .1oz or .25 oz coins for less than the equivalent 1oz but it's very rare. Check out the bullion nucleo exchange where people buy/sell and get the best deal compared to the normal catalog price.
This.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:31 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ Are you talking about a "standard" gold bar I assume?

That's around 400-troy-ounce in size. Good luck buying that

You can buy a 10-ounce gold bullion bar. Those are common.

Additionally you can buy a 32-troy-ounce gold “kilobar” (one kilogram bar)
Yeah that is a little ambitious. I have gold coins but haven't ever come across a bar...not the "standard" one but a 10oz one would be cool. It may have been in this thread a few pages ago but I got the impression the gold I would be buying was just held and never actually in my possession.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Uncle Ben making the prices rise!!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 02:55 PM
_

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Uncle Ben making the prices rise!!!!

SLV = $33.58 - up $1.37 (4.25%)
Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Drifting

SLV at $33.76 is just above a number of moving averages at 33 & 32 so it is at a MAJOR support level. If it hangs on at these levels for a week or so it will be an excellent buying time for those of you on the fence for when to get in or not. I plan on adding more positions as well. This week's action is just a normal and healthy pull back- even at today's levels SLV has made a BIG move over 2011 closing price level of 25.65.

Nothing has really changed positively with the economics of the situation since most of the major currencies have inflated via money printing. One could argue that the increase in oil prices will cause some rapid inflationary affects much like what happened in the '70s. Time will tell.
It's like groundhog day: 6 months later, same stuff to say. Nothing has changed with economics and the price of SLV is below where it was in March. If it was a good deal then, it's even a better deal today.

Yes, I had my 2nd best paper profit day today- thanks to SLV (33.55) and some other holdings. SLV's next resistance point is: 36.00 - then up to 40/42.00. There is still time to jump on this bandwagon. After 42, it's going to 48.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Drifting

It's time to do some end of the year tax planning which prompted me selling some long-term SLV holdings to realize gains of 254% from my initial purchase price of $9.29.

SLV (32.97) is currently just above the 20 day exp moving average at $32.90. My logic for selling some old shares is to pay the 'discount' 15% cap gains rate that I'm sure will be much higher next year. I have some more core holdings in the $12 basis that will go if the 20 day EMA doesn't hold. I'll be re-purchasing some time in the future so I'm still very bullish on the shiny metal.

I'm wondering if other people are doing this selling for tax reasons? Perhaps that's one of the reasons SLV has been weak lately? Who knows.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:03 PM
_

Gold to $2,000? Silver to $40?

link
Old 10-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Silver at 31.09 is closer to 200 day EMA support at 30.38 than gold is. So Silver looks like the better deal at the moment especially if it drops down to 30.38. GLD at 166.97 would need to drop down to 161.42 for 200 day EMA support.

I think support should hold for both metals and then it's time to test recent highs afterward.

The article referenced many technical indicators. I like the on-balance-volume (mostly for timing trades on a daily basis). I have yet to fully appreciate Fibonacci numbers. I have Fibs in my advance charts but rarely use them to make decisions- it's MOVING AVERAGES that really tell the story based on my experience. MACD is also a nice indicator as well.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Drifting

Here's an election night update on silver and gold with a bit of tax advice thrown in at the end.

Silver/SLV held up to the support test when you allow for a reasonable variance from support. I learned from a old stock trader the significance of allowing for a 3% variance from support. This means you take 97% of the your favorite moving average and that is the real bottom line support value. I usually quote the 200 day average and don't do this math because very often the actual average causes a bounce. In the case of Silver and Gold, Silver penetrated while Gold bounced.

SLV (now at 31.01) passed the 'hard' support test by going as low as 29.84 since my last posting- this is well within the 97% of the 30.38 support level indicated.

Gold/GLD(now at 166.30) actually did a little better this past 3 weeks than silver. GLD actually bounced off 'soft support' of the 200 day EMA when it hit 162.30 a couple days ago.

Both metals are looking pretty strong and especially today when the market was factoring in an Obama victory. I think we will see a quick movement to earlier highs now that the election and the 'steady as it goes/Highway to Hell' fiscal policy agenda will be continued.

I'm 1/3 back into the SLV shares that I sold in early October at much higher prices than today. I'll be adding even more SLV shares now that Obama won. Looks like I'll be selling some more Long-term gaining shares to pay the 15% LTG capital gains tax instead of waiting to pay a higher rate in the coming years. Those shares will simply be repurchased so I'll hold the same number of shares but at a higher basis.

My guess is quite a few people are going to be selling long-term gainers this year now that things are more clear on tax policy. The high flying stocks could find some turbulence in the next 10 weeks because of this. Stocks will be very volatile until people unwind winning positions and reestablish ones that have been unwound for tax purposes only.

Quick Reply: Gold?