Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio & Wisconsin

Kansas City Meet/Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 02:10 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
I will be out of that one

Hi Dan
Old 09-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
I'm planning on being there.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyz
Ping! Hi guys, hope all's well, sorry I've been lost in space! Anil, hi to wifey and baby! Matt, sorry Texas is off to a tough start. Steven, what's it like to get the drive the Batmobile every day!

Is anyone going to the last Fast Fridays, this Friday Sept 26th at Aristocrat Motors?

Danny Boy! Good to see you haven't forgotten us.....

I paid my $20 today to show the "Batmobile".
Old 09-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Hello fellow KC Acura enthusiasts!

So since my 95 accord was on its last legs I was looking for another daily driver and just bought a 06 TL last week!

It was a 1-owner car serviced at Jay Wolfe most of its life at a quite fair price.

Only down side is the navigation is broke (the DIY q-tip cleaning method did not work, might need new navi disc and new disc mechanism from China) and also the hood support struts are not working anymore (Hendrick just called me back saying they sell them for $100 total for the Left and Right.....yikes! Looks like Rockauto website has them for about $35 total shipped for two)

My question is what would be a recommended independent shop that does honest/good work for Acura/Hondas? Now that the car is 160k and I am second owner and likely to own it for 10+ years, not sure what the value is in going to dealer anymore if I can save some money and get essentially the same work done.

I sometimes browse the KCSR forum and got recommendations like RevLine and London Motorworks.

Also anyone know of a salvage yard in KC that gets newer cars? Hoping to come across a 3G TL at a junk yard so maybe I can pull some parts off (ie, hood struts and dvd navi drive if possible).

Now will need to do the headlight restoration as well (maybe go with the 3M kit) and I was also told to hold off on any performance mods unless I plan to go forced induction because the $$$ for proper mods is not worth the HP gain. This to me shows the engineering of the car! But as a beginning career professional with tons of loans to pay off that may be held off. Although I wouldn't mind decent priced mods that can make the car sound a bit more aggressive

Thanks all!

Last edited by nist7; 09-24-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Team Owner

^^^ Congrats on your new ride.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7
Hello fellow KC Acura enthusiasts!

So since my 95 accord was on its last legs I was looking for another daily driver and just bought a 06 TL last week!

It was a 1-owner car serviced at Jay Wolfe most of its life at a quite fair price.

Only down side is the navigation is broke (the DIY q-tip cleaning method did not work, might need new navi disc and new disc mechanism from China) and also the hood support struts are not working anymore (Hendrick just called me back saying they sell them for $100 total for the Left and Right.....yikes! Looks like Rockauto website has them for about $35 total shipped for two)

My question is what would be a recommended independent shop that does honest/good work for Acura/Hondas? Now that the car is 160k and I am second owner and likely to own it for 10+ years, not sure what the value is in going to dealer anymore if I can save some money and get essentially the same work done.

I sometimes browse the KCSR forum and got recommendations like RevLine and London Motorworks.

Also anyone know of a salvage yard in KC that gets newer cars? Hoping to come across a 3G TL at a junk yard so maybe I can pull some parts off (ie, hood struts and dvd navi drive if possible).

Now will need to do the headlight restoration as well (maybe go with the 3M kit) and I was also told to hold off on any performance mods unless I plan to go forced induction because the $$$ for proper mods is not worth the HP gain. This to me shows the engineering of the car! But as a beginning career professional with tons of loans to pay off that may be held off. Although I wouldn't mind decent priced mods that can make the car sound a bit more aggressive

Thanks all!
Welcome and congrats. I'll briefly chime in on a few points -

Shop wise, you will get mixed results (which isnt necessarily a bad thing.) I personally bring my TSX to Revline for anything major and have never had a problem, but others here will disagree. Just gotta find somewhere you feel comfortable with.

Even though I don't have a TL, I suggest going for looks > performance. You can make these cars look stunning for less than it would cost to make them semi-fast. There is so much aesthetic potential with the TLs, imo.

I don't know of any yards around here that will have your gen of TL, but if you find one do let me know because I will go hunt for TSXs lol.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Starcraft II addict

Well, I thought I'd share a couple things since not all of you were at the last Fast Fridays or did't stay long enough.

1st thing is that during the charity auction I bid on and won the Race Track package at Heartland racetrack in Topeka. I'm going to get track time with some exotics!!!

2nd thing is I flew to Florida at the end of August and bought this...

Old 10-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Buda
Well, I thought I'd share a couple things since not all of you were at the last Fast Fridays or did't stay long enough.

1st thing is that during the charity auction I bid on and won the Race Track package at Heartland racetrack in Topeka. I'm going to get track time with some exotics!!!

Congrats on the win! Should be fun on the track. Also, very nice s2k - I love that blue.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Team Owner

Great looking ride, Sean! Have you been having fun with it since you brought it home?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Manae
Welcome and congrats. I'll briefly chime in on a few points -

Shop wise, you will get mixed results (which isnt necessarily a bad thing.) I personally bring my TSX to Revline for anything major and have never had a problem, but others here will disagree. Just gotta find somewhere you feel comfortable with.

Even though I don't have a TL, I suggest going for looks > performance. You can make these cars look stunning for less than it would cost to make them semi-fast. There is so much aesthetic potential with the TLs, imo.

I don't know of any yards around here that will have your gen of TL, but if you find one do let me know because I will go hunt for TSXs lol.
Okay, yeah KCSR also suggested RevLIne and another poster said something about London Motorworks as well.

Since its 160k on the clock and I plan to keep it until it's wheels fall off, probably not huge incentive to keep going to Jay Wolfe/Hendrick at this point.

Thanks for the advice on looks > performance. Definitely agreed. Proper mods are quite expensive and probably not that much HP gain. I'l definitely look into upgrading the lighting to LEDs and also maybe wheels in the future.

I do need to do some preventative maintanance such as the 3/4th gear pressure switch, change out the ATF with the 3x3 method in the next several months (I heard to not use the OEM DW1 but use Red Line ?) and also need to do oil change as well.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 10-06-2014, 10:08 PM

Okay, yeah KCSR also suggested RevLIne and another poster said something about London Motorworks as well.

Since its 160k on the clock and I plan to keep it until it's wheels fall off, probably not huge incentive to keep going to Jay Wolfe/Hendrick at this point.

Thanks for the advice on looks > performance. Definitely agreed. Proper mods are quite expensive and probably not that much HP gain. I'l definitely look into upgrading the lighting to LEDs and also maybe wheels in the future.

I do need to do some preventative maintanance such as the 3/4th gear pressure switch, change out the ATF with the 3x3 method in the next several months (I heard to not use the OEM DW1 but use Red Line ?) and also need to do oil change as well.

Thanks again for the advice!

welcome brother/hey gurrlllll !!!

I would recommend all the following:

check brake pads/rotors and replace if necessary
flush brake fluid (Valvoline dot 3/4 does just fine...but I use ATE Super Blue)
transmission sensors and filter (OEM)
transmission drain and refill (do a 1x3 every 1000miles until you do a 4x3, and yes use Redline D4 all the way or a mix of D4 and Type F, I use the latter)
coolant drain and refill (OEM)
PS flush (OEM or Amsoil PSF...make sure the Amsoil says Acura, they changed the formula and the new bottles do not support honda/acura)
engine oil change (Mobil 1 EP 5W30, yes 30wt will help with higher mileage on the engine)

I do this to my car and highly recommend it when buying an older car...I just dont trust what dealerships put in there....they can just reset the oil life% and send it out the lot without you knowing what oil you are running....

if you need anything done, just holler....I also have a hookup with an Acura dealer and can get you parts for 10% more than dealer employee price...
The following 2 users liked this post by swoosh:
nist7 (10-07-2014), venzenzo (10-22-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by swoosh
welcome brother/hey gurrlllll !!!

I would recommend all the following:

check brake pads/rotors and replace if necessary
flush brake fluid (Valvoline dot 3/4 does just fine...but I use ATE Super Blue)
transmission sensors and filter (OEM)
transmission drain and refill (do a 1x3 every 1000miles until you do a 4x3, and yes use Redline D4 all the way or a mix of D4 and Type F, I use the latter)
coolant drain and refill (OEM)
PS flush (OEM or Amsoil PSF...make sure the Amsoil says Acura, they changed the formula and the new bottles do not support honda/acura)
engine oil change (Mobil 1 EP 5W30, yes 30wt will help with higher mileage on the engine)

I do this to my car and highly recommend it when buying an older car...I just dont trust what dealerships put in there....they can just reset the oil life% and send it out the lot without you knowing what oil you are running....

if you need anything done, just holler....I also have a hookup with an Acura dealer and can get you parts for 10% more than dealer employee price...
Male asian Acura owner here. Really breaking the stereotype I'm sure

I found a nice car cause it was basically 1-owner from a retired teacher who had it serviced at Jay Wolfe all its life. Have all the records.

Brake pads and rotors are good. Previous owner got new brakes earlier this year and they are pretty much new. Same for tires, brand new Michelins PS A/S all around. I'll look into brake fluid flushing. Although brakes feel super sharp so that's reassuring.

The lady had the ATF flushed with DW1 about 15k miles ago late last year. So while it's not due yet I'll definitely start the gradual 1x3 process and get the nice Red Line stuff in there.

Definitely will go with your ATF maintenance, 1x3 and then the sensors and the filter (which I'm guessing is the trans cooler filter right? I don't think there is actually a "ATF filter?")

Yeah the MID says oil life is at 40% so probably time to change it. I was reading that some of the m1 is not actually synthetic (0w-40 is) but will get the M1 EP 5w-30 (which apparently is recommended quite a bit for these TLs). Still paranoid about the "myth" of oil leaks starting if switching to synthetic on a dino-run higher mileage motor...

Thanks alot man for the advice!

I'll PM you. I'm working as a resident down at the truman hospital so time is not very plentiful at this time. So I've been trying to see where I can get quality, honest work for a fairly good price.

I used to do more of my own work on my older Accord when I was in school but now time is just not there. Anyway thanks man.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Male asian Acura owner here. Really breaking the stereotype I'm sure

I found a nice car cause it was basically 1-owner from a retired teacher who had it serviced at Jay Wolfe all its life. Have all the records.

Brake pads and rotors are good. Previous owner got new brakes earlier this year and they are pretty much new. Same for tires, brand new Michelins PS A/S all around. I'll look into brake fluid flushing. Although brakes feel super sharp so that's reassuring.

The lady had the ATF flushed with DW1 about 15k miles ago late last year. So while it's not due yet I'll definitely start the gradual 1x3 process and get the nice Red Line stuff in there.

Definitely will go with your ATF maintenance, 1x3 and then the sensors and the filter (which I'm guessing is the trans cooler filter right? I don't think there is actually a "ATF filter?")

Yeah the MID says oil life is at 40% so probably time to change it. I was reading that some of the m1 is not actually synthetic (0w-40 is) but will get the M1 EP 5w-30 (which apparently is recommended quite a bit for these TLs). Still paranoid about the "myth" of oil leaks starting if switching to synthetic on a dino-run higher mileage motor...

Thanks alot man for the advice!

I'll PM you. I'm working as a resident down at the truman hospital so time is not very plentiful at this time. So I've been trying to see where I can get quality, honest work for a fairly good price.

I used to do more of my own work on my older Accord when I was in school but now time is just not there. Anyway thanks man.
Perfect...

yes, not all M1 oils are synthetic but the M1 EP (Extended performance) is a GRP 4 synthetic oil...since I hit 120K miles I have been running 5w30, unless I go the Redline engine oil route and then I use the 5W20 (the redline 5W20 is almost as thick as the M1 5w30), but that oil change becomes like 60-70 bucks LOL....I get M1 EP from Advance Auto parts and its usually around 35+tax for the oil and filter (M1 EP filter), which is a great deal specially since the filter is around 12-13 bucks and oil is about 28-30 bucks for EP....

and yes our transmissions have a filter...even dealerships dont know about this hahaha....here is the DIY link....I have also added a transmission cooler but not sure if you want to do that as well....

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...t-pics-787078/

I would drain the fluid, change the filter/sensors, fill the fluid back in....if you want, you can change the filter/sensors once you are on the 3rd or 4th drain and refill, that way the filter see's only clean/fresh/new fluid....

got your PM, will respond in a little bit
Old 10-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Team Owner

Swooshie, where HAVE you been?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:12 AM

been right here brother
Old 10-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Nice looking Honda Sean!
The following users liked this post:
Buda (11-04-2014)
Old 10-10-2014, 01:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey fellas, sadly couldn't make it to fast fridays last week. Had to watch the Royals get the W! I've made a few mods to my TL that I just got a few weeks ago. Wrapped the 'silver bars' by the fogs in the lower grill, wrapped the outer grill, dipped the inside of the grill, debadged, wrapped the silver piece above the license plate. Very happy with the look.

Time to put my design skills to use and bust out the canon and do an actual shoot soon instead of taking whack phone pics. Anybody down to do a shoot soon? Let me know! GO ROYALS! and CHIEFS!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Team Owner

Looks good!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:53 AM

welcome
Old 10-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
Yes, welcome all you newbies.

Sean, nice new ride, I'm hella jelly. I was looking at one similar at O'neil Honda and they wanted 30k for it

I haven't been on here as much as you all can tell. Always doing stuff at the house and I'm losing interest in my car. Hell, I havent driven it in over 3 weeks. My plan is to sell it soon and drive my new (to me) truck until springtime, and pick up a Mustang GT. I have wanted one forever and I don't think I can hold out any longer.

I haven't officially posted my car for sale yet, but will soon if any of you is interested. Maybe we can have one last meetup before I let her go.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:44 PM

Matt, lets meet so we can take some nice high res pics of the car...might help you sell it...
Old 10-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by McCollins23
I haven't officially posted my car for sale yet, but will soon if any of you is interested. Maybe we can have one last meetup before I let her go.
Is it stick?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1black_seven
Is it stick?

its SICK !!!
Old 10-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
Originally Posted by 1black_seven
Is it stick?
Nope, unfortunately its an auto. Fairly low mileage for the year, however. Just turned over 60k a while back.

Originally Posted by swoosh
Matt, lets meet so we can take some nice high res pics of the car...might help you sell it...
Yes, I would need to wash it first
Old 10-14-2014, 02:07 PM

Old 10-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Team Owner

Good for you, Matt. Which Mustang are you thinking about?
Old 10-15-2014, 06:27 AM

I call dibs on the 2020 Mustang
Old 10-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Team Owner

^^^^ Anil, did you pull and all-nighter?
Old 10-15-2014, 05:13 PM

couple so far
Old 10-31-2014, 10:32 AM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts

I think we can all agree.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1black_seven:
Buda (11-04-2014), Steven Bell (11-01-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am in Topeka ks and have a fog light kit that ordered on Amazon. It's the fog lights that most people seem to be installing. Not the oem ones but they look like it. Anyway I'm looking for somebody that is close to me that has done it already that can help. Let me
know thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 10:19 PM
GODZILLA & 3G TL

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Hey you guyssss!!! Been a while, hope all my KC peeps are doing well!

It's currently 3 degrees and snowing here in the Mile High City...man I miss my summer wheels! I'll snap a pic or 2 of my winter setup & post it up soon...none too shabby & the blizzaks rule, but they're still not 19's lol!

As a side note, there are several Colorado peeps interested in cruising to the National Meet if it's going on this yr...
Old 01-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Cruisin'

I'm down for whatever! As long as my kids don't have soccer going on!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HOCKEYMAN23
Hey you guyssss!!! Been a while, hope all my KC peeps are doing well!

It's currently 3 degrees and snowing here in the Mile High City...man I miss my summer wheels! I'll snap a pic or 2 of my winter setup & post it up soon...none too shabby & the blizzaks rule, but they're still not 19's lol!

As a side note, there are several Colorado peeps interested in cruising to the National Meet if it's going on this yr...

Hi buddy! Happy 2015-we are about 10 degrees here today. On Wednesday, the high is supposed to be a whopping 8 degrees.

We'll have the National Meet. It will be a week before Father's Day.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:36 PM
5th Gear

Thumbs up

Hey all! Have room for one more? I just bought my 06 WDP in December and have been looking for other TL enthusiasts in the area and think I'm in the right place.

She's bone stock right now aside from remote start and tint, but knowing how I am with cars it's just a matter of time before more gets added/changed out.

Anyways- hope to see some of you around and here is a few pics of my ride:

Old 02-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Team Owner

^^^^ Congrats! Welcome to AcuraZine.....
Old 02-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Talking

Congratulations BUDA. Nice ride looks really clean. Can wait to see it at the meet.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Starcraft II addict

Welcome to AZ UnrulyBehavior!!!!

Thanks Takata! It's a blast to drive and I have a hardtop for it now too. I may just bring the S to the meet instead of the TL.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Baller of Uni

Received 511 Likes on 396 Posts
Old 02-09-2015, 09:13 PM
Team Owner

^^^ LoL.....

Quick Reply: Kansas City Meet/Chat Thread