Shifting often/too soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 07:05 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting often/too soon

Hello,
My mom has a 2016 ILX (she just bought it in Jan, dealer type of car never driven off lot). Past two months, we noticed that the car keep shifting multiple times before hitting 2 RMPs and when it does shift, you feel like kind of stall then shift. Sometimes, when she's slowing down right before hitting 10-0 MPH, it jerks forward almost like she got hit but obviously didn't. Took it to the dealer and they claim Honda is aware and is trying to get a new system to install on those who report the issue (only SOME cars have the issue). Anyone else have this issue and/or know if this is true?

Thanks!!
Old 03-19-2017, 12:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts
It is programed to keep RPM down for MPGs in D. I've noticed that stop and go traffic is annoying if you let off the gas as it shifts.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I think what you're experiencing is normal. If you're not used to transmissions with this many gears (8!) it does feel like it's always shifting. It could be that she is lifting gas at the exact moment it's trying to shift, and maybe that is causing a strange sensation? But after some time, I am more used to it. When I drive my other cars with old 5AT those seems so sluggish, like you're shifting in mayonnaise.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 AM
6th Gear

Only problem is that it's an automatic transition so she isn't manually changing gears. It's almost like it's having a hard time releasing from the higher level RPM to the lower one.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:22 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by DaIll1
It is programed to keep RPM down for MPGs in D. I've noticed that stop and go traffic is annoying if you let off the gas as it shifts.
I could see that because I feel that in mine but hers is when there's no traffic. Like you'll feel it when she just turns the car on and is going from 0-30 lets say and when's shes slowing down for a red light. Driving on the streets is when you feel it most. I haven't felt it on the freeway nor has she told me during traffic on the free way.