Help! The paint on my black car is ruined!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:06 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! The paint on my black car is ruined!

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on here and I was desperate for help me before going in to Acura and showing them my issue. My black Acura ILX is a 2016 lease, last weekend I was exiting publixs and noticed what looked to be dirtiness, and a lack of shine on my car. As I got closer and touched the surface I realized it was rough and the shine to my car was gone. I hVe since bought mothers clay bar, and the turtle wax polish. I am nervous since it is a lease and don't know what Acura will say. This happened out of no where. Any help, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Wtf. . Looks like the clear coat has failed
Old 02-05-2017, 10:10 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Wtf. . Looks like the clear coat has failed
is that possible on a 7month old car? I leased it with no more than 8 miles on it from Acura. I just want to make sure I won't get screwed when I go to Acura with this problem
Old 02-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
Looks like it's been sanded with sandpaper in the 2nd and 3rd pics.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 10:49 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Harper
Looks like it's been sanded with sandpaper in the 2nd and 3rd pics.
the first second and third pics are from after we did the clay bar and turtle wax system to see if it helped it as we were unsure to what it could have been. The fourth and fifth picture are the original pictures before anything was applied to it. The car has not been taken anywhere or had any previous detailing so sanding it would be impossible unless someone did it unknowingly.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Brake fluid?
Old 02-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

Are you sure your car was never repaired? Like even before you leased it? The orange peel in the paint, on the door, looks really pronounced. Is it really like that, stock? I order if part of your car was repaired... Poorly. That's the first time I've seen OEM get that bad, that quick. I mean, I guess anything is possible, but it seems like there are other factors at play here.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:12 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Are you sure your car was never repaired? Like even before you leased it? The orange peel in the paint, on the door, looks really pronounced. Is it really like that, stock? I order if part of your car was repaired... Poorly. That's the first time I've seen OEM get that bad, that quick. I mean, I guess anything is possible, but it seems like there are other factors at play here.
The car was brand new to my knowledge so I highly doubt that there were any repairs... there is no orange peel. I think that might be the reflection of the driveway floor. Originally the fourth and 5th picture show how I first saw the car before clay barring it or using turtle wax.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Team Owner

No no.. There is orange peel. I can see it. 99% of cars on the road have orange peel in the paint... The only way to get rid of it is wet sanding the entire car, but I wouldn't recommend that on a normal car. The clear coat isn't that thick and by wet sanding it, you're losing the protective layer.

look at the photos where you can see your pink shoe. Look above it. You can see the orange Peel like crazy, on the door, right about where the front fender ends.

that being said, cars are very often damaged when shipped. Whether on the ship, the train, the truck, it's quite common for damage to occur. It just depends on how bad it is. Major damage is pretty rare, but it still occasionally happens. I wonder if your car was fixed. I'm not sure if there really would be a way for you to check though. The car wasn't even registered yet when the damage happened, so I don't know if the dealership would have to even report it. No idea, man.

one thing for certain is that I've never seen Honda paint fail like that. Fuck, looks like someone poured lighter fluid on the car and ignited it.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:21 AM
Team Owner

I'd go see the dealer asap before doing anything. If you truly haven't done anything to fuck the paint up, I wouldn't be trying to fix their major fail. That, or it was vandalism. In such a case, I'd have insurance take a look at it.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:29 AM
8th Gear

I'd go see the dealer asap before doing anything. If you truly haven't done anything to fuck the paint up, I wouldn't be trying to fix their major fail. That, or it was vandalism. In such a case, I'd have insurance take a look at it.
On my end the car has not been touched, therefore the paint should not be the way it is. To my knowledge I do not have any enemies but i have thought about the possibility of vandalism too.
I know the car will have to be fixed and I am sincerely hoping it was some sort of defect so that Acura can own up to it but I know they will try to pin it on the customer.

I really don't even know what to tell Acura... I'm not sure if I should have a body shop look at it and give me their opinion before taking it in to Acura
Old 02-05-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
it looks deliberate. as if someone noticed the clear coat failure then tried to fix it.
you can tell the clear coat was flaking off, then maybe some one tried to wet sand it? you can tell someone went past the fender and into the plastic bumper
Old 02-05-2017, 12:23 PM

did you notice any crows feet on the fender?
Old 02-05-2017, 12:48 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
it looks deliberate. as if someone noticed the clear coat failure then tried to fix it.
you can tell the clear coat was flaking off, then maybe some one tried to wet sand it? you can tell someone went past the fender and into the plastic bumper
you are right there is a bit of it on the front plastic bumper.

Is it possible that when we clay bared it and wax it that was the result?

I hope I didn't make things worse by doing that 😖
Old 02-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Team Owner

How did you polish it? By hand? Orbital? Dual-Action? Random orbit?

actually, now that you mention it, I think that's exactly what happen. Look at the line on the fender somewhat following the curve of the head light... Looks like the paint is definitely burned. If you were using an orbital polisher, it is very possible you messed up the paint. Doesn't matter what you try now, it's fucked.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
This is the first time I've seen something like this before. Like mentioned before, I feel that something else is going on here. Are you sure nobody vandalized your car. Or maybe was it freezing outside and you drove into a heated car wash? That's crazy to just happen like that in one day.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:57 PM
8th Gear

How did you polish it? By hand? Orbital? Dual-Action? Random orbit?

actually, now that you mention it, I think that's exactly what happen. Look at the line on the fender somewhat following the curve of the head light... Looks like the paint is definitely burned. If you were using an orbital polisher, it is very possible you messed up the paint. Doesn't matter what you try now, it's fucked.
it was done by hand with a microfiber cloth... this is the end result of how it looks now.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:00 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RDX10
This is the first time I've seen something like this before. Like mentioned before, I feel that something else is going on here. Are you sure nobody vandalized your car. Or maybe was it freezing outside and you drove into a heated car wash? That's crazy to just happen like that in one day.
I haven't discarded the possibility of vandalism (idk what they could have put on it) because i just don't know. It's bizarre that this would happen to a 7 month old car. I'm not sure what the time span was... I usually go into work from 6 am and leave at 6 pm when it's nighttime so it's hard for me to notice the car... I noticed this on Saturday afternoon as I was leaving the grocery store.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Korti021
I haven't discarded the possibility of vandalism (idk what they could have put on it) because i just don't know. It's bizarre that this would happen to a 7 month old car. I'm not sure what the time span was... I usually go into work from 6 am and leave at 6 pm when it's nighttime so it's hard for me to notice the car... I noticed this on Saturday afternoon as I was leaving the grocery store.
It's possible they poured something corrosive onto it like gasoline or some other corrosive fluid. But I feel like that would have also showed on the tires. I get your situation though with always working during day light hours, so I can see how you may have missed it. You can try going to Acura, but the worry is if they put it on you. Best case is that they fix it, worst case is they pin it on you but it's just an ILX so should be alright.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:14 PM
Team Owner

Gasoline wouldn't do that. Ever spill a few drops on your car when filling up? Maybe over prolonged exposure gasoline can do damage, but you'd think in the case of the fender, it would just drip down. Brake fluid definitely could do it though.

If you polished by hand then you definitely didn't burn the paint. Your paint looks fucked up though... What's with the major swirl marks on your paint? And is that wax residue, or was the paint already failing? My thought is someone did a half assed paint repair.

Id definitely get it figured out with the dealer. It might be worth for you to get a body shop to give you a professional opinion. It'll give your argument more weight with the dealership
Old 02-05-2017, 02:14 PM

oh i didnt understand the order of the pics...you said 4th and 5th are how you found it...but then say, you rubbed past fender??

anyway, it looks like some one wet sanded the clear...and all you have to do is polish the clear to get it shiny again, which looks like youve done
Old 02-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Gasoline wouldn't do that. Ever spill a few drops on your car when filling up? Maybe over prolonged exposure gasoline can do damage, but you'd think in the case of the fender, it would just drip down. Brake fluid definitely could do it though.

If you polished by hand then you definitely didn't burn the paint. Your paint looks fucked up though... What's with the major swirl marks on your paint? And is that wax residue, or was the paint already failing? My thought is someone did a half assed paint repair.

Id definitely get it figured out with the dealer. It might be worth for you to get a body shop to give you a professional opinion. It'll give your argument more weight with the dealership
Good point! That explains our good friend mystery (wonder where he is these days) and the infamous brake cleaner on hood experiment :idea: I agree with Adam on this one, go to a body shop or even a detail shop and let them see and get some knowledge/leverage. This reminds me of why I will never lease.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:05 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
This reminds me of why I will never lease.
leasing or buying had nothing to do with his paint failing though. the same would have happened if he bought the car instead. If anything, leasing is better in this situation since he could return the car after the lease is over