Dashboard buzz, 2016 ILX

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 06:03 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dashboard buzz, 2016 ILX

Hello all, I just acquired a nice new ILX-tech and it's a sweetheart so far. But.....around town it is often at 1200 to 1400 rpm in traffic and if the road surface is not perfect there is a very annoying buzz in the dashboard in front on me. I've contorted myself underneath every way I can and haven't had any success at finding a loose anything. My Acura dealer is 100 km away (60 miles) so before I make the trip for warranty...and the bloody thing probably will not vibrate when I get there anyway...I wondered if any of you had had this problem and know the solution. Thanks in advance, Doug
Old 07-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Doug, same issue here actually. It's the center console I believe. It's super annoying, sometimes I just hold the center console when going over a really rough patch of road or something to stop it from vibrating. I'm thinking of asking the dealership about this, but I'm not sure if they'll do anything. Let me know if you also decide to bring it in and what they say.

Best,
P.
The following users liked this post:
SmallerFox16 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys... I have the same issue with mine. It's def the center console for me. It can def be very loud and annoying at times. Mine seems to be temperature sensitive too...(ie.. after getting into the car at first after sitting in the sun, it doesn't seem to happen.. but after the A/C has been on a while, the vibrations return.. or on cooler mornings / evenings)

My dealer is also 60 miles away, so i'm trying to see if I can wait till the next service appt to address this issue. I'm def going to address this with them.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:31 PM
9th Gear

Hi again fellows, and thanks for the thoughts. My buzz seems to be right in front of the driver's position up near the windshield....which makes it hard to think that it is associated with the center console. Maybe I've been spared that nuisance ! It does not occur until the engine has warmed up...say two miles...then small pavement imperfections cause it but just around town...highway speeds no problem. I think my annoyance is because it just sounds cheap and my daughter just bought a little Volkswagen Golf that sounds a hell of a lot more solid and rattle free...for $10K less. The ILX tech is new. so I've already told the dealer who encourages me to bring it in to let them fix it. I'm busy...someday soon ! Thanks again for the advice. Doug
Old 07-30-2016, 12:03 PM
5th Gear

I have the same problem with my 2016. This is the first new car I've purchased and it's the only thing about it that absolutely drives me crazy. It sounds like it's coming from behind the right side of the cluster. I agree with the previous poster who said it seems to be dependent on weather conditions. When it's cold outside it doesn't seem to happen, but when the temperature and humidity are just right it makes my $30K car feel like a complete P.O.S. with that awful buzzing noise. It generally settles down or goes away after driving for 20-30 minutes of driving, which kind of sucks because the one time I brought it to the dealer to have them take a listen it stopped by the time the service department representative test drove it with me. If anyone gets a proper diagnosis on this issue PLEASE let us know! I would PAY to have this fixed if it came down to it, I just can't stand it.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:17 PM
9th Gear

I think I'll get to the Halifax Acura dealer in late August fellows...I'll be sure to let you know if they can find a fix. I've used expanding foam to seal around house windows in the past and it makes me tempted to get a can and just blast up under the dash. Then all those nice electrical items in there would overheat and fry.....darn. I am sure that if myself or the dealer can just identify the vibration source, a careful addition of some sticky back foam weather stripping is going to kill this problem. I'll be in touch. Doug
Old 07-30-2016, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my dash board makes a clicking noise all the time and yes my car is a POS
Old 08-01-2016, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ErichV
I have the same problem with my 2016. This is the first new car I've purchased and it's the only thing about it that absolutely drives me crazy. It sounds like it's coming from behind the right side of the cluster. I agree with the previous poster who said it seems to be dependent on weather conditions. When it's cold outside it doesn't seem to happen, but when the temperature and humidity are just right it makes my $30K car feel like a complete P.O.S. with that awful buzzing noise. It generally settles down or goes away after driving for 20-30 minutes of driving, which kind of sucks because the one time I brought it to the dealer to have them take a listen it stopped by the time the service department representative test drove it with me. If anyone gets a proper diagnosis on this issue PLEASE let us know! I would PAY to have this fixed if it came down to it, I just can't stand it.
This is my fear as well, that i'll drive an hour to the dealer and they won't be able to duplicate the issue. These issues should not be on a $30K car! You def should not have to PAY to have this issue fixed.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
OMG, I thought I was going crazy about this, but it seems like everybody is experiencing the issue. I also get some vibrations from the top moonroof from the flappy plastic that extends when the windows is pushed back. It only happens when the moonroof is closed. So I have the front dashboard and the moonroof vibrating, and it drives me crazy. My dealership is only 5 miles away and I took it in. They replaced so many things for me in the past and it cost me $0 since it is under warranty, but when it came to this, they couldn't reproduce it, and it's hard to reproduce this issue on the spot with them, since it is weather dependent, like others say. Sometimes it's dead quite, other times it is quite loud and annoying. I hope someone can figure this out because I feel like it vibrates more than my old 11 year old Civic. sigh....
Old 08-15-2016, 08:04 AM
9th Gear

I THINK I have great news ! I keep looking for the source of the buzz and have added some sticky back foam rubber spacers to various pieces of plastic in the engine compartment. It's really just black weatherstriping tape that I'm using. Well I just discovered that the underhood matting was not firmly attached to the hood...so at various places along the edge I added some of my foam tape. I had two in-town errands to do today, and that's where the buzz is most apparent (once the engine warms up)...and NO BUZZ !! I hate to get my hopes up, or yours, but I think it's fixed. I'll report again in a few days. Doug
Old 08-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Instructor

I hope you found the solution to your buzzing! My noise is def coming from the center console area. It was really loud and annoying this weekend (Super warm and humid). It would buzz/rattle like crazy over every little imperfection on the road. Driving me crazy.

I've recently noticed another issue as well - wind buffeting noise on the drivers side B-Pillar area. On a windy day or at highway speeds, it sounds like there is a little air pocket just circling the wind around right behind my left ear in the B-Pillars.

Needless to say, i'm not very happy with he build quality of this car so far... I now have about 16K miles on the odo.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:31 PM
Instructor

I can isolate the issue and prevent it. I found where the noise is coming from, but not sure how I would be able to fix it. For me when I'm driving and i hear the buzzing I can apply a bit of pressure on the dash where the top monitor is and the buzz will go away. To be more precise a bit further behind the monitor but before the center speaker in the dash.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:43 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for passing that along peti1212. I tried bracing the top of the dash tightly against the windshield to see if I could stop the buzz...no luck so far. I'll try your location. After I tightened up the underhood pad the buzz appeared to be significantly reduced, but on truly rough roads at low speeds it still shows up. Curious. We'll have to keep trying. Overall the car grows on me more drive by drive but I do need to fix this buzz. Doug
Old 09-02-2016, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Hey guys. I had a A12 service performed just yesterday at around 25000 miles and I mentioned the buzzing noise from the dash once again to the service technician. He said that they finally heard the buzzing during their test drive, so they took apart the monitor and stereo assembly in the front and tightened the inner workings of the dash around the monitor area. This seemed to resolve my issue, although I have only driven about 25 miles so far and under similar circumstances, so I cannot be 100% sure that the problem got fixed. It seems OK so far.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, do you mind letting me know after a few days if this permanently fixes the buzzing for you? Fingers crossed!

Best,
P.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:31 PM
Instructor

I will keep you guys updated.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Went on a long 1000 mile road trip this last weekend and did not hear the dashboard buzz at all. This morning though I got in my car to go to work and I hear a slight buzz. Damn... I guess it is not fixed, but it seems a bit better. (or it has come loose already within those 1000 miles).
Old 09-28-2016, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Actually, a month as passed, and the dashboard buzz for me is absolutely minimal now after they have taken the front dash apart and tightened up everything. I do hear it sometimes, but it's very rare now. It used to be every day pretty much before.
The following users liked this post:
SmallerFox16 (09-28-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:59 AM
Cruisin'

I had 3 ACURA they all rattle
Old 11-12-2016, 02:38 PM
9th Gear

Hello again all,
After four months and 4,000 miles the dashboard buzz appears to be completely gone. I did do one more underhood modification when I found that the hood support rod that we use to hold the hood open would rattle in its retaining clip on top of the radiator area. I put a tiny bit of sticky foam underneath the rod in the holder clip and no more rattle there anyway. That may have been the source of the dashboard buzz but it's more likely that it just went away on its own as the car became settled in. It's running like a charm now and I'm having fun with it on the backroads of Quebec, Maine and Nova Scotia. Thanks for the suggestions folks, Doug.