2016 ILX - The first 8 Hours

Old 12-26-2015, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 ILX - The first 8 Hours

Its been a while since I was last in an Acura. My first car was a Gen 1 Manual TSX and I used to frequent this forum quite a bit.

After picking up the car today I put a good 150 miles on it and got some observations that some of you might be able to chime in on.

So these are my grievances.

1. Is the car really supposed to be this loud?
I didn't notice it too much on the test drive but I think it's really a combination of the engine noise, aero, and crappy jersey roads contributing to this. At the end of the day the car can't help that it was born from a civic and every once in a while when it pulls, it feels just like an SI (not necessarily a bad thing).

2. Is there some sort of eco mode?
Don't get me wrong it feels great to get be more connected to the road than I was with my accord. But this new engine and transmission just begs to go all the time. Sometimes I just want to chill and coast. I guess what I'm saying is, is there an old man mode of this thing?

3. Where are the modifications for this car AT?
I might be in the wrong forum since this community doesn't seem as bumpin' as the other ones on acurazine, but I'm really annoyed by the low end drone, the car doesn't seem to bring on its sublime noise until around 3.5-4k. Some after market goodies could really bring out how great this engine really is.

Final notes:

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this car. It brings back all the nostalgia of my good ol' TSX days. The car is truly a wolf in sheep's clothing. The DSG shifts aggressively and when you want to go fast, the speed is GTI fast.

Bottom line up front. There isn't a single car that is as good of a deal as this ILX is. This is probably due to the dismal residual values that the previous gen ILX had. But this car seems like it cant decide if what it wants to be and tries to hard like a VW to be all things to everyone.

Bonus picture
2016 ILX - The first 8 Hours-img_0299.jpg
I turned in my 13 Accord EXL today. So happy to get out of that big boat.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Yea, yours is actually a bit quieter then mine. TSX are quieter. Learn to love it.

I think its just a little happy honda high revving motor, I know pretty much all the new hondas have ECO mode buttons... that would be on the left hand side by the steering wheel... if you don't see one then probably no? Unless someone else wants to chime in?

Pretty much no mods for your specific ILX yet... other then Acura OEM accessories, and whatever was made for 2013-2015 ILX's, mostly visual styling stuff, that basically everyone is getting if they are into modding the ILX.

Moon roof visor from the Civic fits

Aftermarket
There is a rear roof spoiler, window visors. Nothing else really. There's some stuff for the manual 6 speed, mostly because of SI cross fitment. Some for the R20 because of Civic cross fitment. Maybe (hopefully) will be for your k series engine due to TLX (possible) cross fitment??Or maybe someone will just make some specific stuff. People messing with lighting, bulbs, wheels, wheel spacers on stock wheels, universal stuff like that.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
my ILX is pretty loud too. I didn't notice until I was driving on some especially poor roads, but now I notice all the time.

Oh well, I still like my car!
Old 07-12-2016, 10:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My car is currently about 9k mileage and I think it finally broke in. I love it more and more every day now. The only thing I hate about is how low the roof is and I'm only 5'11"
Old 07-13-2016, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
oh yeah I agree, I am 6'4" and I do not fit in any way. I have to lay the seat way down, slouch, lean to the right, and my hair still touches. it would be really annoying if my commute was more than 6 miles daily.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
try adding an additional door seal like some of the 4G TL owners here have done to reduce some of road and wind noise.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:13 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about tires? They can make a big difference in ambient noise. Stock Michelins are not rock stars.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
A fairly light car with tight suspension will make road noise. Gushy bushings and 1500 pounds will quiet it right down.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:00 PM
4th Gear

Check terminal tension(pin drag) on alternator to engine harneas connector. Something quick and easy.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:01 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Ryan066
Check terminal tension(pin drag) on alternator to engine harneas connector. Something quick and easy.
Edit sorry wrong thread
Old 07-10-2017, 09:48 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Ryan066
Originally Posted by DaIll1
A fairly light car with tight suspension will make road noise. Gushy bushings and 1500 pounds will quiet it right down.
Originally Posted by Neanderthal
How about tires? They can make a big difference in ambient noise. Stock Michelins are not rock stars.
Tires to replace stock Michelins on ILX. A better tore for a more quiet ride? Any input?
Old 07-10-2017, 09:52 PM
10th Gear

Better tires other than the stock Michelins for ILX?

[QUOTE=Markngvl;16054764]Tires to replace stock Michelins on ILX? A better tire for a more quiet ride? Any input would be appreciated. Just bought a 2015 with 12000 miles. Love the car but not used to the road noise on crappy roads. Newer paved roads are nice and quiet in the car. /QUOTE]
Old 07-12-2017, 02:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Markngvl
Tires to replace stock Michelins on ILX. A better tore for a more quiet ride? Any input?
The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus is definitely the quietest tire I've ever had. It was too soft for my taste so I went with the P Zero A/S+. If you want the quietest and softest ride then I would get the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:59 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for your reply

Originally Posted by skylineblue
The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus is definitely the quietest tire I've ever had. It was too soft for my taste so I went with the P Zero A/S+. If you want the quietest and softest ride then I would get the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.
I'm a bit confused though. What is "too soft" in tire lingo? What is the difference in the two tires you mentioned and why did you choose your choice? I'm coming from a Honda Accord and the difference in bumps and road/cabin noise is noticable in the ILX. It has Michelins (stock). They are low profile, but in future purchases I wanted an option for a softer ride with less noise. Don't get me wrong the tires on my ILX are fine, but wanted to see what others had on their cars with respect to quiet and a more less bumpy ride. Thanks for you time and honesty!
Old 07-12-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^in that context, soft would mean the sidewall. which would affect turn-in. as you're taking a curve, the soft sidewall would give in.

a stiffer sidewall would make for a bumpier ride...(it's all in the construction of the sidewall)
Old 07-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
Tire air pressure will change your ride a lot. The higher pressures that increase milage will make the ride more harsh/louder.
There is also Active Noise Cancellation in the audio system that is quite annoying. It can be turned off via sub screens (entry changes with head unit) or by disconnecting the microphone.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:14 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Markngvl
I'm a bit confused though. What is "too soft" in tire lingo? What is the difference in the two tires you mentioned and why did you choose your choice? I'm coming from a Honda Accord and the difference in bumps and road/cabin noise is noticable in the ILX. It has Michelins (stock). They are low profile, but in future purchases I wanted an option for a softer ride with less noise. Don't get me wrong the tires on my ILX are fine, but wanted to see what others had on their cars with respect to quiet and a more less bumpy ride. Thanks for you time and honesty!
The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus will give you the best ride quality and are the quietest tires I've ever used. I would go with them if you're mainly looking for a softer ride and less road noise. They weren't for me so I went with the P Zero All Season Plus for immediate steering feedback and even more grip. They are a lot firmer than the P7s and might also be a bit louder, still much quieter than OEM tires.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by skylineblue
The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus will give you the best ride quality and are the quietest tires I've ever used. I would go with them if you're mainly looking for a softer ride and less road noise. They weren't for me so I went with the P Zero All Season Plus for immediate steering feedback and even more grip. They are a lot firmer than the P7s and might also be a bit louder, still much quieter than OEM tires.
Curious to know how the Pirelli Cinturato P7s compare to the stock Continental ContiProContact 225/40 R18 that come on the 16' A-Spec?

I love the handling and road grip/responsiveness of the ContiPros on my A-Spec, but I too wouldn't mind quieting the ride down some withot sacraficing too much of the handling.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by holografique
Curious to know how the Pirelli Cinturato P7s compare to the stock Continental ContiProContact 225/40 R18 that come on the 16' A-Spec?

I love the handling and road grip/responsiveness of the ContiPros on my A-Spec, but I too wouldn't mind quieting the ride down some withot sacraficing too much of the handling.
I can tell you that the ContiProContact is probably the worst tires I've every used. Some other tires I've used over the years are the Michelin Primacy, Bridgestone Serenity Plus, BridgestonePotenza RE960AS Pole Position, and General Altimax HP. On my 2016 Tech Plus Aspec, I've tried the ContiProContact, Michelin Premier A/S, Michelin Sport Pilot A/S 3+, Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, and Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus. I decided to ditch the OEM ContiProContact after only 3k miles because how loud the were compared to my friend's Michelin Sport Pilot A/S 3+, which I hear is a pretty loud tire. I also tried my other friend's Michelin Premier A/S and they road a lot better than the ContiProContact and Sport Pilot A/S 3+.

I first bought the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus in 225/45R18 since they aren't available in 225/40R18. They are by far the best riding and quietest tires I've every used. On really rough roads at 75mph the sound level in the car went down about 6db which is huuuuuuge for just changing the tires. That's like turning down your audio volume from 10 to 7 based on decibel readings. By ear it's more like from 8 to 5. You barely even notice small potholes and manhole covers. They also look the best on the wheels and give the most protecting against curbing since they stick out further than the wheel. They also give more grip when accelerating from a stop. I used to spin the ContiProContacts to almost 4k RPM while the P7s only spin to around 2k, both with temperature in the low 80s. The ContiProContacts had the best grip between 60-70F. My main problem with the P7s are the soft sidewall that makes turn in scary at times because you end up giving the car more steering input than necessary. The delayed response of the car can be dangerous when making multiple high steering inputs at high speeds. You can remember that and wait for the car to react before giving it more steering input but that takes the fun out of driving. I used Pirelli's Confidence Plus plan and switched to the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus.

They are about the same if just a tiny bit louder than the P7s, making them one of the quietest tires I've used. The Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus are far quieter than the ContiProContacts and a good deal quieter than the Michelins. They do ride noticeably firmer than the P7s but offer immediate turn in so the car responds with steering input without the dreaded delay. They ride at least as well as the ContiProContacts and quite a bit better than the Michelin Sport Pilot A/S 3+. They offer even more grip than the P7s and don't even squeal when taking left turns at 45mph (dead end road with plenty of run off area). One thing to note is that the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus run really narrow, almost an inch less tread width, so they look a little stretched on the Aspec wheels. You could go with a 235 width tire but that would increase road noise slightly.

If you value responsiveness over ride quality then I would go with with the Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus.You can always use Pirelli's Confidence Plus plan and make the switch to another Pirelli tire for free if you don't like your first choice, just remember to go with an authorized Pirelli dealer. I would try the P7s first since people rate them the highest on Tirerack. You could also go with the non Plus P7s that DO come in 225/40R18 for a stiffer sidewall and hope that they are more responsive. The only problem is that the non Plus tire don't come with the Confidence Plus plan so you can't switch to another tire option without paying. The non Plus also aren't rated as high so I don't know if there is a difference in tire construction. You might not even be bothered by the sidewall flex on the P7 Plus since they stock ContiProContacts has a pretty damn soft sidewall itself. Both the P7 Plus and P Zero All Season Plus will be a massive upgrade over the stock ContiProContact. Keep us updated if you do decide to ditch your ContiProContacts.
The following users liked this post:
holografique (07-27-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 09:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
^ Thanks man, really appreciate the info. I'm definitely going to check into the P7 Plus & the P Zero. Sounds like a no-brainer upgrade to quiet down the "silver-bullet"

Old 08-01-2017, 02:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by holografique
^ Thanks man, really appreciate the info. I'm definitely going to check into the P7 Plus & the P Zero. Sounds like a no-brainer upgrade to quiet down the "silver-bullet"

Wow we have the same car. I also got mine in slate silver, much better than regular silver IMO. I like the varying blue tint it gives off depending on the lighting. Could have gotten a few hundred off if I went with a black one since they had three left but I refuse to maintain black paint.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:46 AM
4th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Just drop an engine in the back and have awd