2016 ILX 8spd DCT Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 11:18 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow 2016 Acura ILX Tech Plus A-Spec

I have owned my ILX for a year now while putting a solid 16,238 miles on it. I commute 23 miles one way every morning in Atlanta stop-go traffic and have not noticed any issues. I do experience some of the examples that you have mentioned, but on a much much lower scale from what it sounds like. If I'm in D, I treat the car as if it had 50HP and anything over 3k RPM will blow up the engine. When in S, let's just say there is no lagging or slow throttle response. It will use the engine to slow down, but only when in S. Is there any way you can take video of the car while experiencing issues? I had a GoPro mounted in my car for awhile to video, I don't know, everything? Please let us know of any updates. It is most appreciated!

Best Regards,
D. Masters
Old 12-25-2016, 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I get that - but that doesn't explain why you would get a 3 second lag when you shift from R to D.
They don't want you doing J turns.
It is a computer controlled manual transmission so there are forks moving around in there unlike hydraulic valving in most automatics. Also the hard shifts are caused if you reduce throttle slightly while it is preparing an upshift. The only oddity that bothers me is the pause with a quick stop and go in D.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:26 PM
8th Gear

Side not, did everyone also get a lifetime warranty on their DCT?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:49 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new 2017 ILX only 800km mileage has the same problem when it stop in cold engine, the transmission is making noise and sometime you can feel it too. The problem not happening every start and not sure will dealer can do something about it.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:27 AM
8th Gear

Good watch
Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by SENATOR
This is more or less the ILX version of a thread being run in the TLX forums regarding the lurching/jumping/lagging transmission issues that seem to be plaguing the 2015 TLX 4 cylinder (same engine that is now in the 2016 ILX).

I am confirming that indeed, the exact same problems are showing up in my 1-week-old 2016 ILX.

Here are the problems I've noticed (which mirror the TLX problems):
  • Lurching into 1st gear when coming to a stop - hard
  • Delay when shifting from REVERSE to DRIVE
  • Random loss of power when trying to accelerate from a slow roll or standstill

It's important for 2016 owners to document this problem in our own thread, so that Acura sees that this is not just a TSX problem, but has the potential to affect its newest baby in the lineup.

Other than this issue, I would like to state for the record that I LOVE THIS CAR.
I have a 2016 ILX here in Maui. I have had three different attememts to fix the problem by the dealer
including replacing the transmission, still the same issures. Is there going to be a recall, has anyone lemon law this problem?
Old 08-02-2017, 12:53 PM
2nd Gear

ILX Transmission

Me too, have 2016 ILX and have 3 attempts by dealer to fix these issues, including a new transmission installation. No change! Has anyone tried to Lemon Law this, and in what State?
Old 09-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
See TSB 17-015 - 8-Speed Transmission (DCT) Has a Bump or Hard Shift When Coming to a Stop in the 2016 and 2017 TSB threads.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

Angry 2016 ilx

I recently had a 2016 Acura ILX Ceritfied pre owned 4700 miles on it. Its been good for 3 days and I started observing a lag in gear shift from R to D
2. lag in braking, Even if I hit the brake, the car pulls ahead with a delay and then applies brakes. I did see this behavior in MDX but not ILX.
3. RPM jumps up at low speeds.
4. Delay in initializing Infotainment screens and dead slow operation.
5. Hesitates to give the power when I hit gas pedal.

PS: I did not experience these issues at the time of test drive nor on first day. and my Software is at ver ST0030200 and Ver 1002803

Any idea what to do. I 've scheduled a service this week.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:53 AM
Just some f'in guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 ILX 5 speed 61000ish miles. I've had none of the problems here. Shifts fine, doesn't lurch, and I occasionally in sports mode I'll drive like a retard on bath salts.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by avinash
I recently had a 2016 Acura ILX Ceritfied pre owned 4700 miles on it. Its been good for 3 days and I started observing a lag in gear shift from R to D
2. lag in braking, Even if I hit the brake, the car pulls ahead with a delay and then applies brakes. I did see this behavior in MDX but not ILX.
3. RPM jumps up at low speeds.
4. Delay in initializing Infotainment screens and dead slow operation.
5. Hesitates to give the power when I hit gas pedal.

PS: I did not experience these issues at the time of test drive nor on first day. and my Software is at ver ST0030200 and Ver 1002803

Any idea what to do. I 've scheduled a service this week.
The infotainment does take a while to boot up. I'd say a good 1-2 minutes upon starting the car. If you try to push buttons before that, usually nothing will happen or it will lag slowly. But after it's fully booted up it's reasonably fast. It's not state of the art as it's the previous gen Acura infotainment stack.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by langevinrox
'14 ILX 5 speed 61000ish miles. I've had none of the problems here. Shifts fine, doesn't lurch, and I occasionally in sports mode I'll drive like a retard on bath salts.
OP is talking about the 16+ ILX which has the 8sp DCT.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you guys noticed the transmission slipping when it's really cold during winters?
My 2017 slips within the first 5 minutes of driving. What I mean is that when you try to accelerate, the rpm jumps up and stays at say 2500 rpm while the car is accelerating, as if it's a CVT. My car does this every time it's really cold outside and then the shifts become more crisp after around 5 minutes of driving.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kiwigummy
Have you guys noticed the transmission slipping when it's really cold during winters?
My 2017 slips within the first 5 minutes of driving. What I mean is that when you try to accelerate, the rpm jumps up and stays at say 2500 rpm while the car is accelerating, as if it's a CVT. My car does this every time it's really cold outside and then the shifts become more crisp after around 5 minutes of driving.
I have not noticed this behavior on my '16. However, I'm in SF bay area so it never gets too cold here.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:31 AM
1st Gear

I found this thread via Google. I was having some similar issues with my 2016 ILX, mainly the hard shifting into 1st when coming to a complete stop and hesitation of shifting in lower gears when in stop-and-go traffic. I was also experiencing a hard shift into reverse after starting it up first thing in the morning. I took it to the dealer and they actually performed a software update that appears to have fixed it. I haven't noticed any issues in the past few days since the update. Just wanted to pass along this bit of info in case anyone else stumbles across this thread like I did.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by merty
I found this thread via Google. I was having some similar issues with my 2016 ILX, mainly the hard shifting into 1st when coming to a complete stop and hesitation of shifting in lower gears when in stop-and-go traffic. I was also experiencing a hard shift into reverse after starting it up first thing in the morning. I took it to the dealer and they actually performed a software update that appears to have fixed it. I haven't noticed any issues in the past few days since the update. Just wanted to pass along this bit of info in case anyone else stumbles across this thread like I did.
Yup, there is a TSB that takes care of this issue. Some people on the forum reported very hard shifting and some people (like me) couldn't necessarily tell if it was that bad. But can't hurt to get the TSB (software update) performed anyway.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SENATOR
This is more or less the ILX version of a thread being run in the TLX forums regarding the lurching/jumping/lagging transmission issues that seem to be plaguing the 2015 TLX 4 cylinder (same engine that is now in the 2016 ILX).

I am confirming that indeed, the exact same problems are showing up in my 1-week-old 2016 ILX.

Here are the problems I've noticed (which mirror the TLX problems):
  • Lurching into 1st gear when coming to a stop - hard
  • Delay when shifting from REVERSE to DRIVE
  • Random loss of power when trying to accelerate from a slow roll or standstill

It's important for 2016 owners to document this problem in our own thread, so that Acura sees that this is not just a TSX problem, but has the potential to affect its newest baby in the lineup.

Other than this issue, I would like to state for the record that I LOVE THIS CAR.
I also just got a 2016 ILX with 23k miles. NEver had a DCT but it just doesn't feel right. When you come to a stop, I can hear things "popping down" and I know everyone says "the dct makes sounds" but I have never been in a car where I have heard clicks, pops. Just doesn't seem smooth at all. Kind of bummed about it, not to mention after I got gas yesterday, the "check fuel gauge" orange light came on, gas thing dropped to E then it went away. I am just upset that I now feel like I have a new car that will need money put into it faster then I can put miles on it.

I feel like when I put it in reverse then back up I hear a click sometimes. When I am coasting and tap the gas it sounds like someone is flicking the side of my car,etc. Just a lot of weird noises. I mean, I drive my girlfriends 2015 rav-4 and it is like butter. No sounds, jerking forward, weird pops and whatnot. I just know if I take it to the dealer I will get raped. And that is the whole reason I pony'd up and bought a newer car, because I was getting robbed by every mechanic in the state and never got anything fixed.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:55 AM
Advanced

I realize th Rav4 isn't an 8DCT but I just cannot imagine that all of the clunks, pops, and sounds as if you are running over something are "normal" but I am sure I will be told by Acura, oh well, that is a DCT and it is normal" .I am so disappointed and feel like I was sold a lemon, now I am stuck with a 16k loan for a car that no one will ever admit dosn't operate right. Never used the paddles to shift but do not feel as if I should have to. Just frustrated and the fact that a big RECALL thing was on my carfax report but nothing comes up when I enter my VIN so I am sure whatever needs fixed will cost me an arm and a leg and probably won't be covered by warranty.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by merty
Is the software update something we can do or do the dealers have to do that?
Old 07-17-2019, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
The DCT8 is not a normal automatic transmission. It is a computer controlled manual transmission.
The electronic controls click, pop, whir, and buzz. Rapid changes in throttle cause gear clunk like a manual.
The lockup torque converter exacerbates the clunk when locked.
The following users liked this post:
schen72 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 02:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Michael.81
I also just got a 2016 ILX with 23k miles. NEver had a DCT but it just doesn't feel right. When you come to a stop, I can hear things "popping down" and I know everyone says "the dct makes sounds" but I have never been in a car where I have heard clicks, pops. Just doesn't seem smooth at all. Kind of bummed about it, not to mention after I got gas yesterday, the "check fuel gauge" orange light came on, gas thing dropped to E then it went away. I am just upset that I now feel like I have a new car that will need money put into it faster then I can put miles on it.

I feel like when I put it in reverse then back up I hear a click sometimes. When I am coasting and tap the gas it sounds like someone is flicking the side of my car,etc. Just a lot of weird noises. I mean, I drive my girlfriends 2015 rav-4 and it is like butter. No sounds, jerking forward, weird pops and whatnot. I just know if I take it to the dealer I will get raped. And that is the whole reason I pony'd up and bought a newer car, because I was getting robbed by every mechanic in the state and never got anything fixed.
Your car is still under warranty. Have the dealer check it out. Have you performed the TSB related to DCT clunking at low speeds? My car's DCT seems pretty smooth to me.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Michael.81
Is the software update something we can do or do the dealers have to do that?
Must be done at dealer. There is a TSB that addresses this issue.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:29 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by AcuraMaybe
This is probably not what anyone wants to hear for a first post, but I just wanted to say that I'm rooting for you guys and I hope that Acura resolves this issue for everyone impacted. I was strongly considering purchasing the 2016 ILX until I saw all of these issues with the 8-speed DCT. It was honestly enough to scare me away from this car and the brand. Just bought a different car today...
I was looking to buy a TLX then I found out it has the same garbage trans as a Cheep Cherokee...…………….

Old 12-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FRAN WALKER
I was looking to buy a TLX then I found out it has the same garbage trans as a Cheep Cherokee...…………….
The only thing that's the same between the ILX and Cherokee transmissions is that they have a torque converter. Otherwise, they're completely different technologies, with the Jeep being a conventional 9-speed automatic versus the 8-speed dual-clutch automated manual in the ILX/TLX.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:04 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by saturnotaku
The only thing that's the same between the ILX and Cherokee transmissions is that they have a torque converter. Otherwise, they're completely different technologies, with the Jeep being a conventional 9-speed automatic versus the 8-speed dual-clutch automated manual in the ILX/TLX.
the 9 speed in the jeep is the same 9 speed in the acura tlx, this is common knowledge, they all failed. Honda failed everyone by not designing their own trans

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...-cherokee-suvs
Old 12-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

the 9 speed in the jeep is the same 9 speed in the acura tlx, this is common knowledge, they all failed. Honda failed everyone by not designing their own trans

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...-cherokee-suvs
TLX has two different transmission options. You can get a 9-speed conventional automatic, which is shared with many other makes of cars, including Jeep. There is also an 8-speed DCT option that is Honda developed and manufactured. This is the same 8-speed DCT in the 2016+ ILX.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:00 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by schen72
TLX has two different transmission options. You can get a 9-speed conventional automatic, which is shared with many other makes of cars, including Jeep. There is also an 8-speed DCT option that is Honda developed and manufactured. This is the same 8-speed DCT in the 2016+ ILX.
I test drove the TLX v6 with the 9 speed NON HONDA GARBAGE trans. The car accelerated fine but when I took my foot off the gas there was a bump almost like the cruise control was on and kicking in. This was a 2020 model. I yelled what was that and the salesman took the car out of sport mode. Well after poking around the net I find out that lots of people have this problem and that Acura will can not fix the problem without admitting to the severity of the problem. At this point I would buy a Kia before an acura, it's literally junk from the start. Also this is why only a retarded company would make the shifter buttons that a dog can step on and activate.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

I test drove the TLX v6 with the 9 speed NON HONDA GARBAGE trans. The car accelerated fine but when I took my foot off the gas there was a bump almost like the cruise control was on and kicking in. This was a 2020 model. I yelled what was that and the salesman took the car out of sport mode. Well after poking around the net I find out that lots of people have this problem and that Acura will can not fix the problem without admitting to the severity of the problem. At this point I would buy a Kia before an acura, it's literally junk from the start. Also this is why only a retarded company would make the shifter buttons that a dog can step on and activate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010-Id-d1VY
I had a TLX V6 (9-sp) as a loaner one time and it seemed to drive fine. But I have read that they sometimes hunt for gears and isn't always smooth. You seem to be really upset at Honda for some reason. If you're in an ILX forum and own or plan to buy an ILX, don't worry there is ZERO chance of you getting that 9 speed that you hate so much.

Also, you talk about shifter buttons that a dog can step on, but the video you embedded is of a Mercury Sable from the 90s, which does NOT have shifters buttons.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

I test drove the TLX v6 with the 9 speed NON HONDA GARBAGE trans. The car accelerated fine but when I took my foot off the gas there was a bump almost like the cruise control was on and kicking in. This was a 2020 model. I yelled what was that and the salesman took the car out of sport mode.

Old 09-13-2021, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

Angry 2016 ILX - loss of power on acceleration

Seeing that others have posted the same transmission issue: loss of engine power on acceleration from low speeds.

Has anyone had any resolution to this problem? my dealer is telling me they have to replace the entire valve hub and is quoting me nearly $5Gs. Seems nuts to me, as I barely have 90k on the vehicle and have babied it.

any insight / guidance anyone can shoot my way wood b greatly appreciated