IL4s 2016 ILX-Aspec

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:18 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
IL4s 2016 ILX-Aspec

Just because CBP ILX's look so damn good...and because @Chan_Mike picked one up only a few weeks before we did. I though I'd share some of the build work I've done on mine.

Including a suite of OEM bits + prototype intake work.

First day from the dealership

Did a full inspection at the shop to see all the new bits up close.

Underbody features a nearly complete under belly panel. To improve air flow, efficient, reduce drag, etc... Lots of aluminum and light weight materials.

And of course, we all love JewelEye LEDs

Decided to go the PnP Philips route for the fogs, a very viable alternative to the ~$650 LED modules you can buy from the dealership. They are a perfect color match to the headlights, 12year life span, = to halogen brightness with reduced glare. They are definitely worth the ~$160-180 price.

The OEM fog reflector has two beam components:
1) a center area which is light reflected from the back of the housing (provides a slightly wider beam then the headlights-but lower and fills in the dark areas.
2) a very wide cut of light that shines light beyond the driver side mirror, this light is reflected from the -side- of the foglight housing and provides very wide coverage for street gutters/sidewalks/ditches

You can see the main fog beam here

and when parked closer, you can see the super-wide cut to the sides

Also picked up some MotoT10's for the license plate + Philips 921's for the reverse, just to keep color consistent.

Next on the build, came the OEM accessories. Side moldings, F/R Aero, Trunk trey-hooks, illuminated side sills, etc...

The Aero bits are very aggressive, might be too much for some but i feel it gives the ILX a serious edge that this car/brand needed.

Next on the project was Intake Design.

Thanks to its new EarthDreams K24V7, no parts are current available for intakes... so I got creative and decided to make one.

The concept was simple once I was able to extrapolate some design schematics from Acuras estore (still can't find a FSM yet...)

There was lots of space to work with behind the bumper, Just needed to figure out how to remove the factory resonator-snorkel assembly, and adapt a ram-air style funnel to the lower air dam/intake.

After removing the factory setup as a reference, I was able to mock up a simple prototype using composite tubing segments, silicone adapters, and a 'headlight' funnel.

The original prototype was held together with nothing more then duct-tape and zip-ties to act as a proof of concept.

Using my OBD2 scan tool, i was able to document a 50% reduction in IAT's thanks to the design, especially while at constant cruising speed (often where IAT's rise the most since little air enters the intake system). Overall IAT's average 5°F above ambient.

Here is the improved "Beta-Kit" version with full 3.5" Silicone connections and improved fitment/mounting.

No CEL's or codes, MAF readings were well within OEM spec, there will be an eventual dyno comparison on this system.

Straight direct feed for a Ram-Air boost. Both for power, and for efficiency.
Also sounds a little louder (not by much, anyone w/ other "CT-IceBox" style intakes know what i mean.

The last bit added so far was a set of 30mm Eibach ProSpacers.
I felt the wheels were far too tucked-in. The added space would improve look as well as handling since the spacers would bump the over all wheel track by almost 2.5" Its definitely noticeable from the drivers seat thanks to reduced body-roll.

And to wrap up the build (so far) the beauty shots

And the build continues...

Last edited by Thmanx; 06-03-2015 at 05:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thmanx:
Curious3GTL (06-09-2016), speedracer_2020 (01-25-2016)
Old 06-03-2015, 06:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
Looks great so far! I think the color looks perfect with OEM spoiler / body kit.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice! How easy is it to install those led fog lights? Can I keep the same housing and just replace the bulb and connect the new bulb to the connector?
Old 06-03-2015, 11:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by eugeneymich
Very nice! How easy is it to install those led fog lights? Can I keep the same housing and just replace the bulb and connect the new bulb to the connector?

Direct PnP

Simply use a flat head screwdriver to pop-off the front fog bezels, then a philips screwdriver to remove the two screws holding the foglight onto the mounts.

Unplug-twist out the Halogen, Twist in and plug in the Philips LED.

Done

The retail on the LEDs is about $200 but sometimes on amazon you can find them for ~165-180; the other day I saw sets selling for as low as $135 by one amazon seller.

Just to a search for "Philips H11 LED"
Old 06-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Thmanx....Looks amazing!! Great work, great pics and great car!
Old 06-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Looks good
Old 06-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
You're doing awesome! Are you planning on lowering it just a tad? Looks like it sits even higher with the wheel spacers (which makes the wheels look meaty and flush!).

I'll get fire for this, but put some 07/08 TL-S quad tip exhausts on it! lol
Old 06-08-2015, 03:11 AM
Racer

Yeah I'd confided dropping an inch or so in time. On something like an eibach pro or Tein H-Tech style spring (unless there are better recommendations)

As it sits now, the spacers give it a seriously more aggressive look, it's great. On a hard bump with full car I heard the back wheels rub a few times.

So a little fender roll or camber adjustment or maybe 25mm vs 30mm would make it perfect.

In other news, got a set of hicusa side visors and a 9th gen OEM Honda Civic moonroof visor on order as I've heard they are cross compatible.

The build continues...
Old 06-08-2015, 05:36 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Great job, photos & write-up.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:14 AM
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 220 Posts
Car looks great!
Old 06-10-2015, 02:25 AM
Racer

Thanks all for the positive feed back.
Both visor sets came in today.

Moon roof visor is that of a 9th gen civic, its a direct fit and a great alternative to aftermarket versions. Even comes with clear 3M anti rattle-vibration tape to go around the metal surface where the clips attach to keep them snug.

As for the side visors, went with HICUSA versions since they appear to be the only brand out there at the moment.

I originally bought a set of 2015 OEM Honda civic sedan visors since they looked so darn close, but the roof line/window arch is different.

In comparing the quality/construction of the OEM vs the HICs:
The OEM Honda visors are lower profile (they flair out about 1/3 as much as the HIC ones), and use a combination of 3M tape and 2 clips.

The HICUSA one uses only 3M foam tape (though its a wider strip then the Honda ones) Unlike the OEM Honda ones, these include a chrome trim piece to allow a OEM style 'in channel' appearance with the factory chrome trim.

Photos post install later tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Awesome. I put my visors on today. So happy with them. Hic makes a great product. This is my second of theirs.

Hope you like them too!
Old 06-10-2015, 03:07 AM
Racer

I know you'd only put on legit goodies @usdmJON thats why I went to them.

Compared to some of the garbage I've seen come through our doors on other customers cars, these definitely stand out as the higher end of 3rd party alternatives. Descent thickness and construction, heres hoping the chrome trim on the visor doesn't clash with the factory trim too much.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:14 PM
Mfd
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good.

Aaron
Old 06-13-2015, 11:49 PM
Racer

Stopped by Eibach today and took advantage of their "Spring" sale they had.

Ended up getting a front and rear swaybar Kit for the '16 (23mm front, 19mm rear I believe; both are two way adjustable)

Should help flatten out the body roll with out having to use stiffer springs. I'm looking forward to the results.

Anyone find a FSM to help with disassembly and re installation? I know front away bars can be a royal bitch sometimes.

Photos of the new parts/install later next week.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:25 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Just noticed both this car and Chan_Mike's don't have the accessory side skirts.

Guessing this is because the A-spec skirts match the front/rear kit well enough, and flow better with the car than the accessory skirts, which curve down around the wheel wells, giving a tacked-on appearance.

Looking at the ILX build configurator, it seems the accessory skirts also go OVER the skirts on an A-spec model, instead of replacing them. Very weird IMO...

Acura.com ? Build and Price
Old 06-14-2015, 10:41 AM
Racer

The side skirt extension on the ASpec are optional accessories otherwise.

They also have 2 types of door guard. The ones you see on my car are one of them, or theres another style that has chrome and sits lower on the doors.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by silverTL6
Just noticed both this car and Chan_Mike's don't have the accessory side skirts.

Guessing this is because the A-spec skirts match the front/rear kit well enough, and flow better with the car than the accessory skirts, which curve down around the wheel wells, giving a tacked-on appearance.

Looking at the ILX build configurator, it seems the accessory skirts also go OVER the skirts on an A-spec model, instead of replacing them. Very weird IMO...

I... uh.... hmmm??

You must not have looked at the pics hard enough. OP has the accessory skirts on already. Unless there are accessory skirts on the market that I cant find on acura.com and have never seen before myself. I doubt that though.

Check out the pics where OP had his side moldings installed. You can clearly see his accessory sides bulging out a bit more than stock skirts.

GO to acura.com and build an ILX. You'll see if you add the aero kit to a base ILX is includes the front rear and sides for 1,550. But if you get a A-spex ILX the aero kit only adds the front and rear and for $650 cheaper than the aero kit that includes the skirts. Something funny, for the Non A-spec ILX they call the kit just an "Aero kit" with front sides and rear underbody spoilers but if you get the Aspec ILX the kit is now called the Aspec aero kit with aspec front and rear underbody spoilers. All the same exact parts BTW. Apparently though one isnt aspec. LOL

Just go check out the builder. Base ILX for 27,900 has no skirts. If you add skirts they will look exactly like the ones on the Aspec for 31,890. You can not add skirts to the Aspec as it already has them.

OP, as for the chrome modlings you mentioned? Are these for the ilx? I have seen chrome moldings. Both aftermarket and I believe just like the ones you have but with chrome added but still mostly body color. I am wondering if the latter moldings are for the TSX or TL since you cant add them on acura.com.

I know the completely chrome moldings 1 or 2 owners have added were aftermarket chrome moldings for any car. Look great still.
The following users liked this post:
Thmanx (06-14-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 07:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by usdmJON
I... uh.... hmmm??
Thanks for chiming in usdmJON. I was going to say something similar to try to explain it, but you beat me to it haha
Old 06-14-2015, 08:00 PM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

You must not have looked at the pics hard enough. OP has the accessory skirts on already. Unless there are accessory skirts on the market that I cant find on acura.com and have never seen before myself. I doubt that though.

Check out the pics where OP had his side moldings installed. You can clearly see his accessory sides bulging out a bit more than stock skirts.

GO to acura.com and build an ILX.
I did exactly this, hence the reason for my post. If you compare the stock Aspec, non-Aspec + kit, and Aspec + kit you get this:

IL4s 2016 ILX-Aspec-5bkgi5n.png

There you can see how the accessory skirts curve a bit more and don't follow the door edges. My guess is they are the same ones offered for the pre-MMC ILX, and actually curve in rather than flare out like the stock Aspec's on the bottom. The difference is more apparent with these real-life pics:

Given that the OP said he only got the "F/R Aero" and his pics show them flaring out, pretty sure he doesn't have the accessory skirts
Old 06-15-2015, 12:00 AM
Suzuka Master

hmmm. I see what you're looking out now.

I am a bit confused as the 2016 looks to have an optional side skirt already. But as you have pointed out it doesnt look like the accessory skirt on 4cruzin's ILX youve posted.

Here I believe is where I got confused. If you view the base ILX the side skirt area looks exactly like my ILX with no skirts. Then if you click the aspec without the kit it has a noticeable difference over my ILX. That is why I thought OP had the optional sides.

Further more. When you click to add the kit on the base it adds all 3 pieces while listing all 3 pieces but the aspec adds all 3 pieces but only lists the front and rear. Odd. But you're right.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:39 AM
Racer

So which variant of side skirt extensions is the most extreme then?

It almost looks like in one of those photos it has a side skirt on top of a side skirt. Weird...

I guess this means I have another part to order from my local dealership then... What's the point of an A-Spec if it's not fully done up right?

---
Sorry if any of us came off a bit brash, but I think we all were (and still are) a bit confused about the new ILX and all of its new components.

Last edited by Thmanx; 06-15-2015 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:45 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

I am a bit confused as the 2016 looks to have an optional side skirt already. But as you have pointed out it doesnt look like the accessory skirt on 4cruzin's ILX youve posted.
That is why I thought OP had the optional sides.
The OP does have optional skirts, but only in the sense that they only come with the Aspec trims. Then there are the accessory skirts, which no one has seen on a 2016 model or in real life pics, yet are pictured in the Build Configurator and accessories catalog:

I bet even the dealers are confused, and therefore aren't aware of this accessory when customers with Aspec models order the kit from them. But there are definitely part #'s for it if ones looks at the catalog carefully:

Acura online store : 2016 ILX UNDERBODY SPOILER SIDE

Originally Posted by Thmanx
So which variant of side skirt extensions is the most extreme then?

It almost looks like in one of those photos it has a side skirt on top of a side skirt. Weird...
---
Sorry if any of us came off a bit brash, but I think we all were (and still are) a bit confused about the new ILX and all of its new components.
No offense taken The accessory skirts seem more noticeable as they're placed over existing body panels like the F/R bits, vs. the Aspec skirts which are an integral part of the car. So if the goal is to look as different as possible, then might be worth considering it. But like you said the skirt-on-skirt look is a bit weird, which might actually be why Acura doesn't suggest it for Aspec owners
Old 06-15-2015, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Where to we get those chrome moldings though!?
Old 06-15-2015, 06:49 PM
Racer

Dealership no?
Its one of the two optional door accessories you can purchase, one is the style i've got, and the other is the chrome-ones that sit lower down I believe.

-------

And in other news.

Got the rear of the Eibach Anti-Roll bar kit installed, its a 19mm rear (up from the 2016's 15mm). While its not as extreme as jumping from a 13-23mm size like on my 00 Sedan, its definitely tightened everything up and has knocked out a significant amount of body roll in turns.

The rear takes about 1hr to install (mainly because you have to remove some of the under-body panels to reach everything, and its a tight fit fishing the bar out. All and all its not that bad.

The front however requires lowering the subframe and I'll have to do that at my friends shop later this week when I have access to a lift. The front is a 23mm up from the factory 20mm.

With that said, any 13-15 owners interested in buying a slightly used 15mm '16 rear sway-bay? Only has like 4000 miles on it, lol.

Last edited by Thmanx; 06-15-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
There are only two skirts.

'Base' skirt which is the same as the previous 13-15 accessory pkg skirts.
'Aspec' skirt which is the newer more aggressive and better looking one we see.

The newer 'Aspec' skirt does not come with the 'Aspec' ILX. Only the older 'base' skirt. You have to order and swap out the base skirt for the Aspec.

Why??

Same reason as why the Aspec ILX doesn't come with the Aspec aero kit! Acura wants more money from our pockets. They're using the attractive Aspec name to reel in previous Acura enthusiasts who bought Aspec TL's and TSX's who think the ILX Aspec has the same build up as previous Acura Aspecs with the different suspension and full aero kit when really all the ILX gets is just the different interior bits and wheels.

OP: go with the Aspec skirt ot complete your Aspec ILX and it's Aspec Aero fornt and rear kits.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:27 PM
Racer

Its definitely something I'll add to my to-do list on the thing.

That said, if you want to bring back a more neutral handling feel; all you gotta do is get those Eibach Sway Bars. Gawd-dam its a difference.

You get all the body control you wanted, with the daily-driving comfort thanks to the ILX's dual mode shocks. Its a fantastic compromise; and this is coming from someone who's used to go-cart handling on his 00 civic.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Timmy18
There are only two skirts.

'Base' skirt which is the same as the previous 13-15 accessory pkg skirts.
'Aspec' skirt which is the newer more aggressive and better looking one we see.
There are three different "skirts".

Mine which looks to basically be nothing.

OPs which I dont believe can be "added" to mine, it just comes like that.

And the optional accessory one which could be added to both mine or OPs but neither of us have it yet.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:51 PM
Racer

Ohh hell, you'd think Acura would be smart enough to make it easy...

Just give us like an A-Spec ultimate pack.

If people knew it existed... they would buy it (me included)

otherwise they are just going to have shit-tons of extra parts lying around in a warehouse and wonder why they never sold
Old 06-17-2015, 03:52 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Originally Posted by Timmy18
The newer 'Aspec' skirt does not come with the 'Aspec' ILX. Only the older 'base' skirt. You have to order and swap out the base skirt for the Aspec.
Think you got it backwards The new Aspec skirt does come stock on the Aspec ILX. We shouldn't call any of the accessory pieces "Aspec" since they fit all ILX models. I believe they're labeled that way in the configurator to illustrate the fact that the kit is different for Aspec models in that it's cheaper and missing the optional skirt.

There are three different "skirts".

Mine which looks to basically be nothing.

OPs which I dont believe can be "added" to mine, it just comes like that.

And the optional accessory one which could be added to both mine or OPs but neither of us have it yet.
Correct. Though I wouldn't count the base skirt as a skirt as it seems to be part of the body panel. And I bet OP's skirt would fit yours and '16 base ILX's as it looks to be tacked-on (in a good way).

In a nutshell...without the F/R kit, the Aspec skirts are a better choice as they line up with the stock character lines better. For Aspec owners with the F/R kit, it boils down to whether the stock Aspec skirts can be removed to avoid that skirt-on-skirt look (if not, keep the stock skirt)

Last edited by silverTL6; 06-17-2015 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you know anyone else that makes Window Visors for the ILX? Does HiCusa carry the visors without the chrome trim?
Old 08-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Racer

Washed the ILX today, having that rear A-Spec badge on it demanded a clean car after all.

Not to mention having intense red turn signals gives the rear end just a bit more edge to match its over-all A-Spec-ness lol.

The following 3 users liked this post by Thmanx:
justnspace (08-12-2015), silverTL6 (08-15-2015), TacoBello (02-27-2016)
Old 08-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
<p></p>
Old 08-12-2015, 02:46 PM
Racer

@justnspace, is that a snarling face of approval? lol
Old 08-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
YES the face means pimp..

That may be my favourite colour for acura of all time, car is awesome man
Old 08-15-2015, 02:39 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

This is probably the closest Acura has come to the KBP 3G TL-S in terms of color and design The TLX prototype is the runner up only because it isn't produced.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:06 AM
Intermediate

The red turn signals look awesome. Assuming they are led bulbs, how did you wire your load resistors?
Old 08-15-2015, 11:09 AM
Racer

The side tailight assemblies send their wires into the trunk through a grommet.

tap the power leads of the resistors to the green (driver side) and brown (passenger side) wire. They can be found under the plastic sheeth. Ohh and one of the black ground wires too lol.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Thmanx
The side tailight assemblies send their wires into the trunk through a grommet.

tap the power leads of the resistors to the green (driver side) and brown (passenger side) wire. They can be found under the plastic sheeth. Ohh and one of the black ground wires too lol.
https://youtu.be/peglu5R3ib4

I was finally able to install 20W H-LED bulbs on my ILX!
The output is a lot better compare to OEM Koito filament bulb. I am so happy with the outcome!
Old 09-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Awesome set up so far!

I thought I was the only one who felt the A-Spec wheels were too "sunken in".

I'd like to pick up a set of Eibach ProSpacers as well. Maybe 20-22 mm. May I ask where your purchased yours and how much they set you back?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: IL4s 2016 ILX-Aspec