too much to decide for window tint... HELP?

Old 02-06-2016, 01:57 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too much to decide for window tint... HELP?

Hello fellow ilx owners!!

I recently got my 16' ilx premium A-spec with bella white. I've checked out few places around my town to tint my windows. I found the two places which are pretty much the top tint shop in town.

Shop 1 offers
- They've been around for about 8-10 years and using Erickson? standard and ceramic tint films from 70%, 50%, 35%, 20%, 15%, 5%.
- Standard all around 5 windows w/out the windshield was $280 + $180 for whole windshield
- Ceramic all around 5 windows w/out the windshield was $320 + $180 for whole windshield
- $20 discount, if I make an appoint during M-TH

They showed me how they apply the film and stuff. But they did not seal the bottom of the windows so waters don't get through. Also, they were using a torch instead of heat gun, which was kinda weird.

Shop 2 offers
- They've been around over 30+years, uses Formula One Pinnacle Ceramic Tint film from 50%, 35%, 15%, 5%
- Price was $399 with 10% discount, which came out around $350 for 5 windows, not including the windshield (they put the stripe on)
- All the other major dealership comes to the shop and get the windows done (believe it or not)
- Partnered with many different companies around the town, including my school as well. I supposed they tinted my school windows.
- They seems to be very cautious about how they apply the film.

This place is little bit expensive than the other shop and films looked really dark compared to the other shop.

Another things to consider is that where I live is really hot. During summer the heat goes up to 100+ (sometimes ppl get 1st degree burn from seat belt and stuff), it gets pretty hot here and its already getting bit warmer during the day. This is my 1st new car, 1st time getting my windows tinted and it's lots of money to spend, so if any of you have an advice or knowledge please share with me. If I decided to go, I would probably go 5% on the back and maybe 15% or 35%. Because my old car came with about 35-40% tinted windows and never got pulled over. I feel the officers around here are bit lenient because it's really hot and lotta people tint their windows pretty dark.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:38 AM
Intermediate

I would go with Shop 2. I personally have the Formula One Pinnacle Series on 30% for all 4 windows. It definitely reduces maximum heat. I wish I had went with 15% on all around as I feel 30% a bit too light for me. I live in Toronto, Canada and it does get pretty hot here in the summer. Since I installed the tint, it was a huge improvement in heat reduction. The shop that did my ILX are very reputable here and they also work on high end cars. I would definitely recommend the Pinnacle series.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:24 AM
2nd Gear

Thank you for the help Anoj, Do you think the cost is bit pricy?
Old 02-07-2016, 07:15 AM
Intermediate

I paid the same amount here for all 5 windows. $350. I researched around and not many shops use the pinnacle tint. They were roughly the same price.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:12 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Another vote for #2. The Pinnacle series is a good quality tint, and I know it has lifetime warranty against bubbling and fading.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Instructor

my vote goes to a third shop. where do you live ? I have installed 3m material 5% in the back and 20% for the windows for $100. my older car was bmw 335i did it in 2010 for 140 but i have 50% all around 3m material. warranty for life not to peel or bubble etc.

why they charging you 350$ ? does the tint speaks different languages or what ? the 3m material which is respectful material check it on amazon and then add labor.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:50 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
3m tint might be - respectful....your word, but doesnt cut the heat like a ceramic film.

just saying.

not all tint is the same /
Old 02-11-2016, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Excuse my ignorance about the tint quality don't know much. I should look up the ceramic quality before I speak. You reminded me of BestBuy tech who wants to sell me a screen protector for $49 (warranty life time). I looked at her and told her if have a 2 year old phone you won’t carry accessories for it and u want to grantee my screen protector for life! every 12 months you do your best to upgrade my phone and you want me to buy a screen protector for life !!
Old 02-16-2016, 04:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by haidarh
Excuse my ignorance about the tint quality don't know much. I should look up the ceramic quality before I speak. You reminded me of BestBuy tech who wants to sell me a screen protector for $49 (warranty life time). I looked at her and told her if have a 2 year old phone you won’t carry accessories for it and u want to grantee my screen protector for life! every 12 months you do your best to upgrade my phone and you want me to buy a screen protector for life !!
I bought that screen protector... but only because I got "privacy screen" kind.... but i agree with you... Its a rip, and your phone battery will die, phone will get glitchy, or you will just want to upgrade... you don't need a a lifetime screen protector...

3M tint material is great. I'm assuming you installed it yourself? There are shops that install 3M charging roughly the same as these shop prices, or even more. I have 3M and it was kind of expensive. But it cut down on the heat a LOT. my car is all black... i used to get mad, my car was super hot before.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:48 PM
Instructor

No I don't know how to wrap a gift u want to tint my car!! I live in socal if u r close I can refer you to Marcus tint. Very respectful shop in the valley. I had to drive 40 mins to his place
Old 04-28-2016, 10:40 PM
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
My two cents

Go with number two. The company that seems to care about YOUR happiness is the best one to go to. That way at least u know if they mess up they will fix it.

Now, on the original subject of the electronic variable tint, anyone have any idea where I can get it installed and for Approx how much? I'm starting to think it's a myth. One would imagine a product like this would be jumping off the shelves.
I recently got my 16' ilx premium A-spec with bella white. I've checked out few places around my town to tint my windows. I found the two places which are pretty much the top tint shop in town.

Shop 1 offers
- They've been around for about 8-10 years and using Erickson? standard and ceramic tint films from 70%, 50%, 35%, 20%, 15%, 5%.
- Standard all around 5 windows w/out the windshield was $280 + $180 for whole windshield
- Ceramic all around 5 windows w/out the windshield was $320 + $180 for whole windshield
- $20 discount, if I make an appoint during M-TH

They showed me how they apply the film and stuff. But they did not seal the bottom of the windows so waters don't get through. Also, they were using a torch instead of heat gun, which was kinda weird.

Shop 2 offers
- They've been around over 30+years, uses Formula One Pinnacle Ceramic Tint film from 50%, 35%, 15%, 5%
- Price was $399 with 10% discount, which came out around $350 for 5 windows, not including the windshield (they put the stripe on)
- All the other major dealership comes to the shop and get the windows done (believe it or not)
- Partnered with many different companies around the town, including my school as well. I supposed they tinted my school windows.
- They seems to be very cautious about how they apply the film.

This place is little bit expensive than the other shop and films looked really dark compared to the other shop.

Another things to consider is that where I live is really hot. During summer the heat goes up to 100+ (sometimes ppl get 1st degree burn from seat belt and stuff), it gets pretty hot here and its already getting bit warmer during the day. This is my 1st new car, 1st time getting my windows tinted and it's lots of money to spend, so if any of you have an advice or knowledge please share with me. If I decided to go, I would probably go 5% on the back and maybe 15% or 35%. Because my old car came with about 35-40% tinted windows and never got pulled over. I feel the officers around here are bit lenient because it's really hot and lotta people tint their windows pretty dark.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-29-2016, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Sometimes we need to look at the big picture. three things to consider,
legal issues with the cops, prevent heat to inside the car and durability.
in socal only 40-50% is allowed more than that cops can stop you and ticket you.
im not expert on tint but i will you my experience, In German Cars, BMW-Mercedes , Audi, you need to all those details since the window is tight seal and any dust will scratch the tint from inside. My older bmw 335i, all 4 windows had scratches from inside because of dust. now in our acura i dont face the same problem at all no scratches from dust so far. as far as color its a matter of your preference. 20% is good choice and also take consideration the interior of the car if its dark or grey which change the color little bit.
since you have done the research whats the difference with the new ceramic tint ? tell me why its so expensive and what does it provide.
good luck
Old 05-21-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
there's 2 kinds of heat that heats up a car, convection and radiation.

When you go to a good tint shop, they'll probably have a heat lamp demonstration and put diff kinds of tint in front, and ask you to feel the difference in how much heat gets through each tint.
This is an example of convection, and some tints really do block out noticeably more behind a heat lamp. However, what its really doing is slowing down the heat transfer rate. In a real world example, ambient temperature will take a bit longer to transfer inside the car. Equilibirum temp in the long run should be roughly the same. Reason is that ambient temp is all around us, simply slowing down a bit of it at the windows won't make much real world difference.
Now as for radiation, which is heat from the sunlight, a lot of that is just determined by how much solar energy the tint allow through, and that is just mostly determined by the darkness of the tints.

Search this Thread