Plasma tv issues

Old 04-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Plasma tv issues

First off, my TV has a pretty good case of image retention. Nothing too serious, but when I'm watching something with a white background, I can see a small ghost image in the corner (most likely from a bug/logo from a channel I was watching) I'm chalking this up to bad picture settings, for the most part. How do I get rid of it? I have a Samsung so it has the "screen wipe" function, but after having it on that continuously for about an hour and a half, it's still like 60-70% there.

Do I just keep doing the screen wipe until it's 100% gone? Or are there more effective alternatives? Just wondering since I read it can lead to premature "aging" of the pixels, or something like that...

Secondly, calibration. Worth it? Best ways to do it? I've heard some people charge at least $300 to come and calibrate TVs for a living, but I've also read you can buy DVDs that guide you through how to do it yourself. Of course the latter most likely won't produce the most optimal results... will it?

Anyone have experience in this? I'm reluctant to get a professional since there's always the inevitability that I'll move out of my apartment and need it to be calibrated again (since the TV will be in a different room, different lighting)

Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
In regards to the image retention...did you do a proper break-in? Probably not. So at this point there isn't much to be done about it. It should eventually go away. But this issue will continue to be a problem.

Settings can help with that. They can also make a huge difference in video quality. Look up your model number on AVS and get to reading. The thread for my TV is like a 1300 pages. Lol

As for calibration...is that going to be $300 on a $3,000 TV or on a $900 model? One may be worth it the other may not. But first try some settings that are listed online. Calibrating does make a difference though.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Ah the bug. You must have kids. I had that bug on mine years ago. Solution is stop watching that channel and it will eventually go away.

The only retention I currently have on mine is when the background is mostly white I can see where the black bars were for 4:3 content. I learned to live with that because I don't like stretching 4:3 to fit the screen.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by maharajamd
In regards to the image retention...did you do a proper break-in? Probably not. So at this point there isn't much to be done about it. It should eventually go away. But this issue will continue to be a problem.

Settings can help with that. They can also make a huge difference in video quality. Look up your model number on AVS and get to reading. The thread for my TV is like a 1300 pages. Lol

As for calibration...is that going to be $300 on a $3,000 TV or on a $900 model? One may be worth it the other may not. But first try some settings that are listed online. Calibrating does make a difference though.
Nope, didn't break in the TV when I got it I actually didn't even know you had to do that until I read up on image retention. But when you say it'll continue to be a problem, do you mean image retention in general, or just this case (as in this image won't ever fully go away?)

And the TV I have is the same one I got in this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/home-theater-electronics-45/getting-free-hdtv-need-input-818751/

iirc the invoice said the TV was worth <$700. So professional calibration most likely won't be worth it, I suppose. But I'll definitely look up the best settings for my model, though!

Originally Posted by doopstr
Ah the bug. You must have kids. I had that bug on mine years ago. Solution is stop watching that channel and it will eventually go away.

The only retention I currently have on mine is when the background is mostly white I can see where the black bars were for 4:3 content. I learned to live with that because I don't like stretching 4:3 to fit the screen.
Nah, no kids. Just negligence on my part, I guess. I do recall going into my picture settings at one point about a year ago and I saw I had everything--contrast, cell light, brightness--all set close to max Whether I did that or it came from the store like that, Iunno. I'm not even sure how long the settings were set to that....
Old 04-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
In general. This problem will likely go away eventually if you stop watching that content.

I had this problem, slightly, when I was playing BF3 a lot. The ammo/life HUD section was too much. I stopped playing and it went away.

As for settings, man, I'm not seeing much... :/