Home Theatre Showoff Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Do you like the Yamaha?
Old 01-18-2015, 01:12 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
That Yamaha is a serious receiver. I'd be a little concerned about venting it. You don't want too much heat to build up in the cabinet.
The following users liked this post:
BeezleTL85 (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
Do you like the Yamaha?
I love the Yamaha. My parents have a Yamaha at there place and I had always like the receiver. I went and did research to see if there was anything else I should consider but also wanted a good mobile app. Turned out the mobile interface is basically the best out there and so is the receiver. I shopped it along with the 840 but in the end since I was already spending so much I went with the 1040 since it had the better audio processor. I use it also to play sources to the master bath, the kitchen, and the screened in porch. I plan to add another set of speakers I already have outside on the back deck and his summer. Just need to run the wire.

The receiver is every bit as good and more than I expected it to be.

Originally Posted by Majofo
That Yamaha is a serious receiver. I'd be a little concerned about venting it. You don't want too much heat to build up in the cabinet.
I have not had any issues of it getting hot at all yet. I have no panel on the back of the cabinet so it can vent out the back.

If it ever does become an issue I will cut a whole in the side of the unit install a side vent fan for it.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:33 PM

Ah, didn't catch that. As long as there's a place for heat to escape you should be good. I'm too cheap to buy such a beast. Every year Yamaha has a big sale. Almost bought up a Yamaha RX-V675 a couple months ago for $299. Still regretting that I didn't pull the trigger.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
16 awg wire will be fine for the rears. If it was prewired during construction then the wire will be tacked down, no doubt about it. There will not be conduit run to them. If it was wired after the fact, then it may be free, but either way, do not worry about changing the wire, it IS fine.

You mentioned you are running several zones of speakers off the 1040 (assuming zone 2). How is this wired? The only safe way to handle this is with a multi-channel amp. While a impedance matching speaker selector would help keep your impedance at an acceptable rating, the lack of power can damage your amp. It is designed to run 1 or 2 pairs of 8 ohm speakers. So be careful with how you are handling this.

Do you have a controls system for the system? If you have a real control system (read, not harmony) and need any codes missing in your IR database library, I have access to just about any you could ever need.

Finally, if you haven't connected it to the net, it will give you a big benefit beyond streaming capabilities. You can enter the IP address of the unit to get to a rather basic browser portal that will allow you to control the unit, as well as save your configuration in the event you ever have to factory reset or send it out for repair or replacement. What is not typically known is there is also a setup page that allows you to do every bit of the gui setup and more through your computer. Go to http://IP ADDRESS/Setup

Here you can rename your inputs in a snap (I see you have AV6 listed. You can quickly relabel that to Xbox360 for instance. You can also quickly setup the Scene commands which will allow you to turn the unit on, set the input, and even set the sound field with the press of the scene button.

The entire Aventage line is a great line (I'm a dealer) and is the most reliable receivers ont he market right now and has been since their release about 4 or 5 years ago. Enjoy it.
97BlackAckCL (01-20-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
16 awg wire will be fine for the rears. If it was prewired during construction then the wire will be tacked down, no doubt about it. There will not be conduit run to them. If it was wired after the fact, then it may be free, but either way, do not worry about changing the wire, it IS fine.

You mentioned you are running several zones of speakers off the 1040 (assuming zone 2). How is this wired? The only safe way to handle this is with a multi-channel amp. While a impedance matching speaker selector would help keep your impedance at an acceptable rating, the lack of power can damage your amp. It is designed to run 1 or 2 pairs of 8 ohm speakers. So be careful with how you are handling this.

Do you have a controls system for the system? If you have a real control system (read, not harmony) and need any codes missing in your IR database library, I have access to just about any you could ever need.

Finally, if you haven't connected it to the net, it will give you a big benefit beyond streaming capabilities. You can enter the IP address of the unit to get to a rather basic browser portal that will allow you to control the unit, as well as save your configuration in the event you ever have to factory reset or send it out for repair or replacement. What is not typically known is there is also a setup page that allows you to do every bit of the gui setup and more through your computer. Go to http://IP ADDRESS/Setup

Here you can rename your inputs in a snap (I see you have AV6 listed. You can quickly relabel that to Xbox360 for instance. You can also quickly setup the Scene commands which will allow you to turn the unit on, set the input, and even set the sound field with the press of the scene button.

The entire Aventage line is a great line (I'm a dealer) and is the most reliable receivers ont he market right now and has been since their release about 4 or 5 years ago. Enjoy it.

Yes it was wired during construction that I know for sure from talking to the previous owners when I bought the home. I have not verified it is 16awg but from the looks of it I am pretty sure it is. I am going to check for sure this week sometime. I am running 12awg on the new front towers which I would think should be enough but feel free to tell me if I should be running more.

I do not have a digital controls system. I do have seperate volume knobs for each set of speakers in the respective rooms. They have 4 different selection levels on each inside the control itself when I remove the face plate. I was told to put them on (A) because I also have this speaker connection box as well.

So basically my system is wired up like this except right now I only have 3 other rooms connected to the 8 room strip but will be adding at least one this summer and maybe 2 even if I can figure out how to get a connection out to the garage. If not I will just use my old receiver out in the garage. Although I was worried how the changing temperatures would be for putting it out there.

Hopefully it is not a setup that will harm the receiver. The dealer I bought it from came to the house and looked at everything and said it was fine to hook to the receiver. Same place that has done my parents house and sold them there Yamaha as well.

I do have it connected to my network and have done all the software updates for it. I was not aware about the part of connecting to it with a computer though. I have only connected to it with the mobile app from my Android phone which is a feature I love. I will definitely have to backup my settings in case they would get wiped out for some reason.

I appreciate all the help and information and would love to hear any more input or feedback you have. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
My sister wants a 2 zone system. She already has 4 roof speakers in her living room so we'd go 7.1 in there but she also wants outside speakers. I don't have experience with outside speakers. I can't give a budget but she doesn't need top of the line. I know I'd go with a 7.2 receiver, a front channel, 2 towers next to the tv, and a sub for the inside. The backyard isn't huge but it's a good size with a lake behind her.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Doom878
My sister wants a 2 zone system. She already has 4 roof speakers in her living room so we'd go 7.1 in there but she also wants outside speakers. I don't have experience with outside speakers. I can't give a budget but she doesn't need top of the line. I know I'd go with a 7.2 receiver, a front channel, 2 towers next to the tv, and a sub for the inside. The backyard isn't huge but it's a good size with a lake behind her.
I picked up a set of Bose 251 at a yard sale for $100 which is a steal it appears based on what they go for on ebay. They sound pretty good for outdoor speakers. I would prefer something with a little more bottom end to them but in an outdoor space I think that would be hard. If you can find a set used for $200 or less I think they would work well as new they go for like 400-500 for a pair I believe. Also Klipsch makes some decent ones too or at least the ones my buddy has on his deck sound good to my ears for outdoor speakers.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Team Owner

So it's typically a pair of speakers for the outside? I don't think she wants to go used and def not low end. She's making mostly long term purchases for her appliances, etc.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:00 PM

So it's typically a pair of speakers for the outside? I don't think she wants to go used and def not low end. She's making mostly long term purchases for her appliances, etc.
Well it depends on how big the area is and what you have to work with as far as doing the installation. Most installs I have seen are just two speakers on the outside wall of a house pointed over the deck or patio area. I have seen some larger decks where people will do two on the outside of the house and then two on the farthest out part of the desk railing facing back in.

In the end it all depends on the area you are installing them in and how large of an area you are trying to cover.

Here are some typical 2 speakers setups.

This is what I was talking about mounting on the furthest point away of the deck and facing back in. This also helps no send the music as much towards the neighbors.

Last edited by CCColtsicehockey; 01-20-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

^That's a cool idea with the speaker pointed in. Not sure they'd go that route since right now it's just an open paved area, followed by grass, and then a small slope into a lake.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:06 PM

I might be the minority, but I think outdoor speakers are old-school. A mini component or bluetooth speaker are good enough. Unless you big-time entertain in the back (read catalina wine mixer), just don't see the need.

Btw.. picked up the JBL Charge 2 bluetooth pill. Packs a lot of punch. Definitely enough for a small get together.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
When you have a house that looks like the third pic in post #130 with two separate furnished areas and a gorgeous deck. I don't see anything wrong with doing it right and wiring in nice speakers... Especially when money appears to matter little.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:31 PM

I'm not talking about money and I think all the setups posted are fine, even if you have a smaller space. I just meant it's not worth the trouble for most and I think it's almost an old-school mentality to set up speakers for an outdoor space. Personally I'd rather have a multipurpose setup than having a setup sit outside unused 98% of the time.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:32 PM

also.. that deck is the tits.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

For background, yeah she plans to host a lot of parties. My family (we're Cuban ) throws a lot of parties usually in the backyards as we have a decent sized family that lives in the same area and are relatively close. We have a cousin who used to DJ but will sell his equipment. Typically dancing is a must and/or loud background music. Her neighbors won't care as we've already witnessed a few neighbors' parties and she just closed on the house last month.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:42 PM

Cuban.. why didn't you say. Those measly betty white outdoor speakers won't do. You need Cerwin Vegas.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:16 PM

I can see the desire for both setups. Personally I want wired in speakers so I can play a source from anything. If I am watching football in the fall and I am grilling I want to be able to hear the game outside on the deck. I also want speakers loud enough to hear in most of the yard so if I am out with the dogs or the back part of the yard where I plan to build a fire pit I can still hear the music.

Maybe I have not given enough credit to those portable music speakers. I just figured they probably don't give a very full sound at all.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:40 PM

You have the back wired with an external sensor? How do you control the separate zones away from the receiver?

I didn't think much of them at all as well. They're the new age boom box. What I like about the little JBL is the sound quality is much better than I expected and it doesn't distort awfully at peak volume. I thought it was loud once I connected with the source maxed out, but I saw that it has a volume control on the unit.. I turned it up from there and it was too loud to have a conversation. What I really liked about it was the no fuss bluetooth connection, but that's what I also don't like about it.. it's too easy.

Just like that time when you sleep with that babe you've been checking out.. but then think.. that was too easy.

I'm not saying it replaces or fills a space like a decent setup, but for most (including myself), it probably does the job well enough. I will say that the Beat pill, like their headphones, are garbage.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:42 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
LOL I love the people rocking Beats headphones that think they are hot shit. It makes me giggle.
juniorbean (01-30-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 04:04 PM

A friend of mine said they bought their SO Beats headphones for Xmas.. I cringed.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:08 PM

You have the back wired with an external sensor? How do you control the separate zones away from the receiver?

I didn't think much of them at all as well. They're the new age boom box. What I like about the little JBL is the sound quality is much better than I expected and it doesn't distort awfully at peak volume. I thought it was loud once I connected with the source maxed out, but I saw that it has a volume control on the unit.. I turned it up from there and it was too loud to have a conversation. What I really liked about it was the no fuss bluetooth connection, but that's what I also don't like about it.. it's too easy.

Just like that time when you sleep with that babe you've been checking out.. but then think.. that was too easy.

I'm not saying it replaces or fills a space like a decent setup, but for most (including myself), it probably does the job well enough. I will say that the Beat pill, like their headphones, are garbage.
I control the receiver with my phone. With both being connected to the same WiFi Yamaha has an Android and iPhone app called AV Controlle. You can control power, input, volume and much more for all zones your receiver has. It is one of my favorite features of the Yamaha receivers.

When I get up in the morning I can from bed turn on the receiver play some music from spotify, Pandora, or my home media server through the receiver over the speakers in the master bath and closet without having leave the bedroom. I basically use the volume knobs in each room more as on/off switches and instead control volume on the receiver itself from the app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yamaha.av.avcontroller&hl=en

Glad to hear it doesn't seem that I am missing much with the portable audio solutions.

The hardest part will be running the cable from inside to outside for the new speakers. I have a crawl space under the house which is where the came comes into the house from. Hoping I can get the audio cable in by the receiver from under the house in the crawl space. Already know how I will run the wire outside and where I will put the volume control.
juniorbean (01-30-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 10:13 PM

That's
Old 01-21-2015, 06:58 AM
Team Owner

Cuban.. why didn't you say. Those measly betty white outdoor speakers won't do. You need Cerwin Vegas.

Betty White
Old 01-21-2015, 10:52 AM

Maybe it was in poor use..

Old 01-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts

It's all about the vegas... brah
Old 01-26-2015, 02:00 PM

Holy monkey tits.. Yamaha VSX-1024-K - $300

Pioneer VSX-1024-K 7.2 Channel 4K Ready AV Receiver - Newegg.com
Old 01-26-2015, 02:02 PM

Old 01-26-2015, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Holy monkey tits.. Yamaha VSX-1024-K - $300

Pioneer VSX-1024-K 7.2 Channel 4K Ready AV Receiver - Newegg.com
that's the big bro to my receiver... do want
Old 01-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Team Owner

Fuck that's badass. Something my sister can use huh
Old 01-26-2015, 02:41 PM

Yamaha does this every year.. I even heard the VSX-44 is $300 or less at Best Buy YMMV. Can't go wrong either way IMO... so tempted. I always regret not pulling the trigger..
Old 01-27-2015, 01:07 AM

Fuck that's badass. Something my sister can use huh
Indeed..
Old 02-05-2015, 01:35 PM

Does Yamaha now own Pioneer or something cause you keep saying Yamaha and the device says Pioneer?
Old 02-05-2015, 01:41 PM

Pioneer..

I have Yamaha receivers on my mind
Old 02-05-2015, 01:46 PM

Here is a Yamaha that has been on sale for a while. You can use the awesome Yamaha app with it as well.

Yamaha RX-V677 7.2-CH Receiver + Klipsch Quintet 5.0 Speaker System $600 + Free Shipping - Newegg Deals, Coupons and Promos
Old 02-05-2015, 01:48 PM

The quintet's are underwhelming.. and they're $280 on Amazon. They should just post the receiver for $300.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:49 PM

Pioneer..

I have Yamaha receivers on my mind
See you need Yamaha unless you are looking Pioneer Elite in my opinion.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:51 PM

Elite... or IS-F downpayment.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

LS-F downpayment
Old 02-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Race Director