Sarlacc's Reno Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Sarlacc- why not just remove that stupid bulk head? Yes, it will add some dollars to your construction costs, but it seems its more trouble than its worth. After that, I'd just go with the 40" ikea cabinets. They're cheap AF, but they are actually good quality cabinets.

I used to work with a guy who would design and build homes, as a side project (he would do like 1 to 1.5 houses a year). I remember him telling me that he used to get the much pricier custom cabinets, but after comparing side by side with ikea, he really couldn't justify spending 3 times more, to get maybe 10% better quality. That, and I believe they come with a 10 year warranty now too.

I put them in my basement suites- kind of annoying to assemble (like all ikea stuff), but very easy to hang and secure. I would put them in my own kitchen too.
I thought about that too but wasn't sure about what's behind the actual soffit:
Originally Posted by thoiboi
I wouldn't go 40 unless you think you can cut into the soffit. Do you know if it's just blank space and they installed the soffit just to bring down the cabinets?? Or is there ducting behind it or a beam?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
That's nice.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:30 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
OK...last question for now..and this is a design one.

I have 8'10" ceilings in main rooms in the condo. In the kitchen there is an 11" soffit, 3.5" of crown moulding, and then the cabinets. That 3.5" of moulding is completely dead space behind it (I cut a small area and looked) And I know I need some space to be able to level the wall cabinets. But I have no intention of replacing the ugly decorative moulding.

But I think knowing I have that dead space opens up some options. My current wall cabinets are 35" not including the light rail. Its not a standard size (36" is) So, I know I can go with 36" cabinets...mount them 1" higher to maintain space, and fill in the gap with a plain modern looking filler panel.

But humor me for a second. What if I decided I liked the Ikea cabinets...which come in flavors of 40" and 30" for wall cabinets. Now, 40" is still too big and hangs to low.

But what if I installed 30" wall cabinets which would make them floating cabinets with 8.5" of gap between the top of the cabinet and soffit.

Would that look weird because of the soffit? If I did do that should I get a quote for framing out and bringing the soffit down and making it look similar to what I have now?

One idea, pending money...is to run LED strips on the tops of the cabinets for an accent light in that gap area, if that 8.5" open area was deemed fine to leave open.

Thoughts on this?
I'd personally go with the taller 36" cabinets and toss in a molding that you like up there. The benefits of molding vs filler strips is that molding is easier to conform and hide flaws. I'd be shocked if that soffit was perfectly level and smooth so that you get a perfect transition to the filler piece without any gaps or requiring filler putty. The molding will hide that similar to how quarter round hides that on flooring. Other option is to take out the soffit entirely and patch it up but be careful that it might be there for a reason to hide HVAC stuff.

I wouldn't do 30" cabinets at this point, that will take away from the resale value and it'll look kinda stupid to have a tiny cabinet, big gap, and then a soffit.

JMO.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
I thought about that too but wasn't sure about what's behind the actual soffit:
If anything it could be just decorative. Sometimes a plumbing stack is there but that is on older homes.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, decorative would of course be very ideal but it's all truly speculative on our part until he tears into it
Old 01-12-2017, 09:46 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
And there in lies the problem of the soffit. Who knows what the fuck is behind it.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Ex-OEM King

And there in lies the problem of the soffit. Who knows what the fuck is behind it.
Drill a small hole in a corner and stick an inspection camera in there. Once you're done, patch and paint the small hole.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
if you go in through the top of one of the cabinets you're throwing out you'll have nothing to patch... but really, patching a small hole is a minor concern when you plan on remodeling an entire kitchen.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by brian2
if you go in through the top of one of the cabinets you're throwing out you'll have nothing to patch... but really, patching a small hole is a minor concern when you plan on remodeling an entire kitchen.
I agree...its why I cut out part of the moulding to see what was behind it.

With the soffit Ill have to cut at least two holes, one for each part of the L...but you're correct, going through the cabinet is the best way...I just have to find a place to rent one of those camera with night vision.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:07 AM
Ex-OEM King

True, I was just saying that it would be pretty easy to find out what, if anything is in there. Most don't need night vision, they have built in LED light sources that go through the fiber lines.
The following users liked this post:
Sarlacc (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Safety Car

phone's camera with the flashlight app turned on
Old 01-12-2017, 11:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Thinking out of box here. Spend a hundred bucks and see if a plumber with a cam can check it out with one of there cameras and also check if any plumbing is stuck up there.

I highly doubt any electrical is there. Wires are run in the walls and not loosely in those areas.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:41 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by Nicks2001tl
Thinking out of box here. Spend a hundred bucks and see if a plumber with a cam can check it out with one of there cameras and also check if any plumbing is stuck up there.

I highly doubt any electrical is there. Wires are run in the walls and not loosely in those areas.
Thats true...but with my building...all bets are off. This place was horrendously put together...our HOA recently ended a 5 year lawsuit against the builder. We won the largest settlement in this neighborhood...and found out EVERY building (different builders) all had to be sued for major construction fuck ups.

perhaps thats pretty common...but shit if it doesn't make DIY difficult at times.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:41 AM
The Third Ball

I don't want to make holes that big just yet.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Team Owner

Don't worry about it- about six years ago, wifey and I got into a bit of an argument... Which ended with me punching a hole in a drywall wall

we made up, went to homedepot and talked to this black older lady in the paint isle.. It's important I mention she's black, because her reaction was fucking priceless. She looked at us, head tilted, looking from above her glasses, and says "mm hmmm... Lemme guess... You need the couples repair kit, don't yeah? Boy I tell you, I can make a fortune selling these things as a kit" best sales person I've ever got help from

nonetheless, a nice 5 inch diameter hole took about a day and a half to repair (mostly drying time, with very minimal work). You slap up this mesh product, slather drywall mud on it, smooth it, let it dry, sand, repeat, until it looks good. Two coats should do it. Then paint. You can't even tell anything ever happened.
Sarlacc (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 12:09 PM
Team Owner

I assume all you will see in their is some 2x4s and MAYBE some minor electrical (likely 1 wire, MAYBE two) which can be moved as necessary. I have a feeling they only did the bulkhead for aesthetics. It makes the kitchen look "fuller" around the cabinets.

Wait. There also might be some duct work. Easy enough to check though.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

I bet knows..
Old 01-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicks2001tl

RIDGID Micro CA25 Inspection Camera-40043 - The Home Depot
TacoBello (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Team Owner

Also, there could very much be wires in the bulk head. They would be strapped to the 2x4 framing that makes the bulkhead and yes, that would pass code inspections. It wouldn't (or shouldn't) just be floating in there, or laying loosely inside.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:32 PM
Safety Car

+
Old 01-12-2017, 04:13 PM
The Third Ball

Good call
Old 01-12-2017, 11:28 PM
The Third Ball

While Im no where near ready to start the reno yet...I did jump on one item. Someone on CL is selling a new in the box shower set up that I want at over $200 less than the cheapest price I've found. So, i think its worth snagging and tossing in a closet.

Hansgrohe tub/showerpipe...rainhead, hand sprayer, diverters, thermostatic control, and tub spigot all in one with nicely styled exposed piping. Saves a ton of money vs going with individual pieces/parts.

https://www.amazon.com/Hansgrohe-271...f_rd_i=desktop
Old 01-13-2017, 08:03 AM
Az User

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,645 Posts
While Im no where near ready to start the reno yet...I did jump on one item. Someone on CL is selling a new in the box shower set up that I want at over $200 less than the cheapest price I've found. So, i think its worth snagging and tossing in a closet.

Hansgrohe tub/showerpipe...rainhead, hand sprayer, diverters, thermostatic control, and tub spigot all in one with nicely styled exposed piping. Saves a ton of money vs going with individual pieces/parts.

https://www.amazon.com/Hansgrohe-271...f_rd_i=desktop

that's a great deal, i would go get it ASAP if i were you.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Safety Car

I got the kohler one ^^ Notice how the rail doesn't go all the way down to the valve/faucet? I got this model on purpose. Do your measurements before you buy it. Your standard shower head height tends to blast me in chest... I wanted the rain head to be as high as possible, so I wouldn't have to crouch under it.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Safety Car

sorry for the crap pic... I'm surprised I even had that on this computer.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:46 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by 03SSMTL-S
that's a great deal, i would go get it ASAP if i were you.
Picking it up today. $600 including the necessary installation valve.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:48 AM
The Third Ball

I got the kohler one ^^ Notice how the rail doesn't go all the way down to the valve/faucet? I got this model on purpose. Do your measurements before you buy it. Your standard shower head height tends to blast me in chest... I wanted the rain head to be as high as possible, so I wouldn't have to crouch under it.
This was actually the the model that got me interested in the showerpipes. Saw it at the Kohler showroom near me. I got turned on to the Hansgorhe model at Fergusons...the fact that it has everything built into one piece sold me, and actually comes out less expensive. Its got pretty great reviews, too.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Safety Car

This was actually the the model that got me interested in the showerpipes. Saw it at the Kohler showroom near me. I got turned on to the Hansgorhe model at Fergusons...the fact that it has everything built into one piece sold me, and actually comes out less expensive. Its got pretty great reviews, too.
How tall are you? I wouldn't get it for me. At best the rain head is only going to be 6.5' off the floor of the tub. It will be awkward to stand under.
http://www.hansgrohefixtures.com/med...e_27146001.pdf

This is what I did in the other shower which also has a unique look and inexpensive.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:56 AM
The Third Ball

I'm only 5'8"
Old 01-14-2017, 04:18 PM
The Third Ball

Had another contractor, who did some work on our neighbor's kitchen, come this morning.

He would reface, with paint, the cabinets and put on new doors, light rail, and crown moulding for $6k. I provide the soft close hardware and new knobs, etc. If he did all new cabinets he would cost more than other because he only does wood, no mdf. And he won't install other company's product.

That said...that is WAAAAY less for refacing than any one else. The upside is not having to totally destroy and wait on cabinets. The downside is I wouldn't able to make any little touches I wanted for built ins or adding more space. I want to see a sample of his high gloss white.

There is more, but I' waiting for the rest of his quote regarding the bathroom. Also waiting for the quote I had a GC come do Thursday night.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:25 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
I would make sure you have one tub in the place. Make sure any improvements are correct for your neighborhood. You don't want to have the most expensive condo if you are remotely thinking about selling in the next 5 years.

In our last place we didn't put in granite since the neighborhood was not a granite countertop neighborhood. We did "smart" updates to keep the place up to date since we were looking to sell.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:24 AM
The Third Ball

The first of two larger contractors got back to us with their quote tonight. They actually wanted to come by to go over everything in person and answer questions. I felt that added a personable touch.

In some places I think their prices were pretty good, in some places I feel it seemed expensive. BUT I also feel they were including a lot. They are providing the under counter LEDs, cabinet hardware (no handles and pulls), all sealed grout (we choose color) all cabinet extras (pantry drawers, etc) The kitchen sink, new and more modern baseboards through out the entire condo, exhaust fan in the bathroom, new LED light in the shower. I also wanted a quote to run a new switch/circuit and install ceiling in our living room...they said they throw it in with the rest of the work, we provide the fan.

We would provide (and much of this is by choice) backsplash tile (about $250 or less for what we want and need) bathroom floor tile (free, leftover from my parents reno) shower tile (partial free, again from parents reno) Toilet, Tub, Shower hardware, kitchen and bath faucets, bath sink (because we have specific one we want) medicine cabinet. Drawer pulls/handles, stove, above stove microwave, and dishwasher, and main bathroom lighting fixture, and other bath fixtures.

I'm still waiting for one more general contracting company to get back with their quote later this week. I'm guessing based on their brief chat that they will come in slightly higher. They also didn't spend nearly the amount of time the other spent going over everything with us. So, we'll see.

So for a whole new kitchen, a whole new bathroom, and complete sanding/prepping/ repainting of our condo we seem to be looking at about $40k plus another $6k for all the stuff we are providing (including the appliances).
Old 01-17-2017, 12:29 AM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by dallison
I would make sure you have one tub in the place. Make sure any improvements are correct for your neighborhood. You don't want to have the most expensive condo if you are remotely thinking about selling in the next 5 years.

In our last place we didn't put in granite since the neighborhood was not a granite countertop neighborhood. We did "smart" updates to keep the place up to date since we were looking to sell.
Appreciate it

1) We are keeping the tub. The dude who tried to talk me out of it is out. Won't hire him.

2) My neighborhood is a very high end neighborhood. The area is now known as Silicon Beach as we have all the big tech companies now housing the corporate headquarters for their SoCal operations. Also all the big ad exec companies are right across the street. I'm talking walking distance to all of this. So, there is a lot of money in here (and no, certainly not me, I'm poor) So, I'm not pouring the kind of money into this condo that people have, but I'm not continuing with the builder quality crap that was in the place when we bought it. I'm going more middle of the road. Based on what we bought this place for and what its worth today, we won't lose money on this.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:59 PM
The Third Ball

Finally got the last quote from the last contracting company....After I had to email them to follow up and ask for it.

it was slapped together, generic, and the only time is laid out the money was with the schedule of payments...nothing was broken down like my other quotes. And the total...$67,000 FUCK those guys.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Ex-OEM King

They don't want your business. Hence the insane quote and half assed work.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:32 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
They don't want your business. Hence the insane quote and half assed work.
i think that's part of it. They had a pretty arrogant demeanor. I also think they think they are that good. Let someone else pay them.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:43 PM
The Third Ball

Perhaps he was serious...He actually sent a follow up email to see if we'd considered it. I basically told him his quote didn't specify where my money was going, asked why his price was $27,000 (i was wrong when I first told you guys) higher than my other quotes from other reputable contractors because there was no price breakdown, and that he was clearly out of my price range. Didn't hear back, doubt I will.

Spoke with the contractors whom I like, and I just got home from visiting a couple of their current projects. Good quality, they walked me through everything. I just need this refi to close so I can start.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
It's funny how flighty contractors are. When we had our mudroom built, we had 5 or 6 different contractors quote. One or two said they really wanted the job and never called back even after multiple attempts. A couple were way out of whack.
The one we went with was responsive and prompt. I had seen some of the places he had built on our road. He was working for his boss for 15 years and his boss was looking to retire. His pricing was just right and his work turned out nice.
Sarlacc (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by dallison
It's funny how flighty contractors are. When we had our mudroom built, we had 5 or 6 different contractors quote. One or two said they really wanted the job and never called back even after multiple attempts. A couple were way out of whack.
The one we went with was responsive and prompt. I had seen some of the places he had built on our road. He was working for his boss for 15 years and his boss was looking to retire. His pricing was just right and his work turned out nice.
Yeah, the one guy never got me his quote. I was done and ready to go with the guys I met with today to see their work. But my wife comes home and says one her co workers LOVED her contractor. I was over it at this point but I said fine. So, I called. He said he'd call me back to set up an appt. His wife/assistant called me the next day to confirm he address and said he'd call to set up a day. Never heard anything. My wife texted and he replied he had been sick, but he would call later that day....Never heard anything. So, F him. I will not deal with people who can't hold their word, no matter how simple.

And in many ways I was thankful. I was already wanting to use this company. I got 4-5 quotes. And I was tired of getting more to see the same damn numbers.