Nest Thermostat

Old 03-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
I'll be adding a smart irrigation controller soon (massive rebate from the city to do so) and want to add an Amazon Echo to run it all unless Google comes up with a competing product soon.
This one; Rain Bird ESP-SMTe Smart Irrigation Timers

Have had it since 3/15 and have not touched it since initial programming. Very efficient once you get the programming right.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Nest still has the swing. Set your heat to 70 and the furnace will come on somewhere between 68-69.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one it really reduces your bill if you already have an efficient HVAC
Old 03-10-2016, 03:46 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,655 Likes on 2,490 Posts
I might be doing the same thing. I really like the Honeywell I have but I'm looking to get more into the whole smart home thing and Nest or Ecobee seem to be the way to go.

I'll be adding a smart irrigation controller soon (massive rebate from the city to do so) and want to add an Amazon Echo to run it all unless Google comes up with a competing product soon.
They make smart irrigation controllers? That is awesome. I had no idea. My new house has irrigation so now I am going to have to look into that.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by doopstr
Nest still has the swing. Set your heat to 70 and the furnace will come on somewhere between 68-69.
Ugh I like everything about it except the stupid swing range. At the very least they should have the option to disable the feature.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:38 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,825 Likes on 3,848 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan
This one; Rain Bird ESP-SMTe Smart Irrigation Timers

Have had it since 3/15 and have not touched it since initial programming. Very efficient once you get the programming right.
That one looks intense. There are far easier ones on the market that are designed to work with wifi and your smart phones. How much did this thing run you if you don't mind me asking?

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
They make smart irrigation controllers? That is awesome. I had no idea. My new house has irrigation so now I am going to have to look into that.
Yes sir. Check with your city/county/state, they might offer massive rebates to install one since irrigation systems use a ton of water. My city is offering up to $200 to put in a watersense certified controller.

I plan on getting this one:
Amazon.com : RainMachine HD-12 - The Forecast Sprinkler - Smart WiFi Irrigation Controller : Automatic Lawn Irrigation Controllers : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : RainMachine HD-12 - The Forecast Sprinkler - Smart WiFi Irrigation Controller : Automatic Lawn Irrigation Controllers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

This is another popular option though it always requires another device to do anything with it. So if you have someone else who needs to activate or deactivate the irrigation system they'll need to pair their phone or some device before they do anything. So I passed on this one:
Amazon.com : Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller, 2nd Generation : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller, 2nd Generation : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 03-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Dan
Safety Car

That one looks intense. There are far easier ones on the market that are designed to work with wifi and your smart phones. How much did this thing run you if you don't mind me asking?
$185usd. When you decide what to buy, remember RainBird does sprinklers and all the other ones are SmartPhone bull shit! Watch this; Rain Bird ESP-SMT Training

Nothing else on the market even comes close! Do you really need to check your sprinklers from your phone?
Old 03-14-2016, 06:37 AM

Yes sir. Check with your city/county/state, they might offer massive rebates to install one since irrigation systems use a ton of water. My city is offering up to $200 to put in a watersense certified controller.

I plan on getting this one:
Amazon.com : RainMachine HD-12 - The Forecast Sprinkler - Smart WiFi Irrigation Controller : Automatic Lawn Irrigation Controllers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

This is another popular option though it always requires another device to do anything with it. So if you have someone else who needs to activate or deactivate the irrigation system they'll need to pair their phone or some device before they do anything. So I passed on this one:
Amazon.com : Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller, 2nd Generation : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Thank you. My current one the previous owner upgraded has a rain/moisture censure outside but having it on Wifi would be great. The app for the second one looks a little better from the two listing on amazon but I will have to check them out in more detail.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Dan
$185usd. When you decide what to buy, remember RainBird does sprinklers and all the other ones are SmartPhone bull shit! Watch this; Rain Bird ESP-SMT Training

Nothing else on the market even comes close! Do you really need to check your sprinklers from your phone?
What if I said yes...

The Rainbird looks fine but I don't really want to wire one of those external doodads outside. The wifi one works fine to determine if it is or isn't raining outside through weather forecasts. I'm looking for proactive adjustments rather than reactive and they both do that.

Thank you. My current one the previous owner upgraded has a rain/moisture censure outside but having it on Wifi would be great. The app for the second one looks a little better from the two listing on amazon but I will have to check them out in more detail.
Agreed. The Rachio one has a better app but you HAVE to use the app to use/program the system. The Rain Machine has an on the unit interface in addition to the app. That, to me, has tons of value over a little bit better of an app in the event that I need to have some work done with/on the system. Also, they both interface with IFTTT and therefore various home automation solutions including Amazon Echo.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:52 PM
Dan
Safety Car

What if I said yes...

The Rainbird looks fine but I don't really want to wire one of those external doodads outside. The wifi one works fine to determine if it is or isn't raining outside through weather forecasts. I'm looking for proactive adjustments rather than reactive and they both do that.
The RB not only tells if it is raining, but how much it has rained and what the soil moisture content is which it uses to decide when and how much to water in the future.

Have you seen the garage door opener you can control with your phone?
Old 03-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Dan
The RB not only tells if it is raining, but how much it has rained and what the soil moisture content is which it uses to decide when and how much to water in the future.

Have you seen the garage door opener you can control with your phone?
So does the Rain Machine but it uses weather data to determine local rain fall. The controller will ask about soil type and if it's on a slope or not to determine watering patterns.

And yes I have heard about those. I'm secretly waiting and wishing for my GDO to sh1t the bed so I can get one of them.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:05 PM
Team Owner

No idea when mine got this software update but I noticed today that my Nest now shows the weather, time, temp, and humidity if I push it twice. I guess that's good that I didn't even notice when it got this update. It's just doing its thing.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:40 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Now if it will only do a filter reminder like my $49 one did!
Old 03-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Team Owner

I don't understand how I have owne mine for years and never once has it said change the filter.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:37 PM
Team Owner

Whoa, got an update on my iPhone app today. Auto-away can now track my phone and determine when I'm home. Been waiting for that feature for years.

It also said time to change my filter
Old 03-30-2016, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Just got me some Works with Nest goodies.

http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/Nest.aspx

Old 03-31-2016, 07:55 AM
Team Owner

With $340 million in revenue, Nest is underperforming, and its future at Google is at risk
Old 03-31-2016, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Too much fragmentation and they have yet to release Nest Weave that standardizes communication between automation products to each other and the Nest. They introduced it in October and no set date to actually release it. Doesn't surprise me.

Great idea if/when it works: https://nest.com/press/nest-introduc...-for-the-home/
Old 03-31-2016, 10:21 AM
Ex-OEM King

Ugh, I really want to get further into the smart home but there are so many different fragmented systems that it's impossible to tell which will come out ahead in the end. I think I'm going to sit out on a connected system until that figures itself out.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cM3go
Just got me some Works with Nest goodies.

http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/Nest.aspx

This thing works great by the way. Installed it the other day, Lutron hit the mark here.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Received 10,112 Likes on 6,104 Posts
IDK how legit this is but...

https://np.reddit.com/r/Nest/comment...uture_of_nest/
Is anyone concerned about the future of Nest?

After the recent news of C-level executives jumping ship and it's poor performance after Google acquired them... I'm concerned Google will leave the consumers hanging (like they have done with other products)
too which someone claiming to be a Nest engineer responded saying...

As a Nest engineer, I won't say any numbers that aren't public, but this company is already on deathwatch. Once that happens, most people will quickly have shiny paperweights because it's a constant firefight keeping these systems up. We have $340M in revenue, not profit, against a ~$500M budget. No new products since the purchase, and sales/growth numbers are dire. Our budget deal expires soon, and all the good engineers on my teams have discreetly indicated they are going to flee once their golden handcuffs unlock (many have already left despite sacrificing a lot of money to do so).

Tony and his goons demand crazy timelines so much that "crunch time" has basically lost meaning. Just when your labor bears fruit, they swoop in, 180 the specs you just delivered on, then have the gall to call your team "incompetent" for not reading their mind and delivering on these brand-new specs. I waste most of my time in pointless meetings, or defending my teams so they don't flip their desks and walk out. People fall asleep in corners and cry in the bathrooms, health and marriages are suffering. Already the churn is insane, close to half the company if not more. Skilled engineers can tell the environment is toxic, so we're filling vacancies with mostly sub-par talent.

Tony, you can't hide anything from engineers. We know how many units are actually being sold, how many subscriptions lapse, how many fail or get returned. We know about that time-bomb flaw you ignored so people will have to upgrade. We can see the data in those executive dashboards you think we don't know about. But go ahead, keep trashing us in public. We dare you to tell everyone just how much of that $340M was due to a simple Dropcam rebrand, and not the thermostats and smoke alarms. Good luck shipping that critical new project after restarting it for the umpteenth time.

Ah, that feels better. Now off to the other 4 meetings I have today.
Nest?

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 04-04-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Team Owner

Google has a bad habit of buying companies and totally screwing them up. Maybe they will sell it to Honeywell for cheap.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

My guess for the time-bomb is that it's the non replaceable battery in the thermostat. Mine doesn't use the battery much since I have a C wire but I suppose it could swell over time and crap out the circuit board. I used to manage servers that would do that. The RAID battery would swell and push against the board, the board would eventually flex enough that the server would crash and require the battery to be pulled or replaced.

Last edited by doopstr; 04-04-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by doopstr
Google has a bad habit of buying companies and totally screwing them up. Maybe they will sell it to Honeywell for cheap.
Google is probably buying time before they can release their overall smart home solution (Google On) that is centered around the On Hub router. Once that happens, it'll be the death blow to Nest which will hopefully be absorbed into Google On at that point.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Google is probably buying time before they can release their overall smart home solution (Google On) that is centered around the On Hub router. Once that happens, it'll be the death blow to Nest which will hopefully be absorbed into Google On at that point.
That On Hub needs more network ports.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:09 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
My parents just moved into their new home, and I drove down this weekend to see the plan and help a little bit. First thing was to replace the ass old mercury based honeywell thermostat.

My dad was looking at the Nest or the Honeywell. I have the Nest and its been fine. But I mentioned the Ecobee3 and home kit, etc.

Well, on a whim and some quick research (LTE at my parents house is terrible, and they wont have wifi until today) we ended up with the ecobee3.

Between my installing and playing with that, and a HUGE in-depth review I just on amazon. I have to say that it is a superior product to the Nest. Especially if you have a larger home with big variances in temperature. The remote sensors are very key. The interface is better. future home kit integration is a bonus for apple users.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
I think I've been saying throughout this entire thread that the Nest needs remote sensors. That's what I *thought* the smoke detectors were going to do...

Plus, you're not dealing with Google with the ecobee...
Old 05-03-2016, 08:47 AM

After moving and now needing two seperate thermostats. One for each floor I have been looking at the Ecobee actually.

It has great reviews it seems. So is the Ecobee 3 really as good as the reviews say in your opinion Sarlacc?
Old 05-04-2016, 12:41 AM
The Third Ball

After moving and now needing two seperate thermostats. One for each floor I have been looking at the Ecobee actually.

It has great reviews it seems. So is the Ecobee 3 really as good as the reviews say in your opinion Sarlacc?
Well, I installed it, which was just as easy as the Nest. I got to see it in action for about 8 hours. But I now live 2 hours from my parents. So, I assume its been performing well. The ecobee is a much better choice for their home than the Nest because they are in the desert in a 2200sq ft house. So, having the main sensor, and putting remote sensors in other parts of the house makes much more sense.

I do like the touch screen interface much better than the "iPod" dial of the Nest. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably go ecobee.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by maharajamd
I think I've been saying throughout this entire thread that the Nest needs remote sensors. That's what I *thought* the smoke detectors were going to do...

Plus, you're not dealing with Google with the ecobee...
I'm trying to have Google run my whole house...

Supposedly their new OnHub system will be awesome for home automation and coming out soon. The nest and the OnHub router will basically be key cornerstones of the system.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 AM

That is one of my hold backs on switching to the Ecobee3. Whatever I buy next I want to be compatible with some sort of hub device. Now I know it is now compatible with the Apple Home Kit and with the Amazon Echo but at least when using the Apple Home Kit you then lose the auto feature for the heating/air conditioning which to me makes it uselesss if I can't use the auto feature in the spring and fall.

Is the OnHub also a wireless access point cause I have finally got a really good one of those and whatever I get I just want it to connect to my exisiting infrastructure.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
That is one of my hold backs on switching to the Ecobee3. Whatever I buy next I want to be compatible with some sort of hub device. Now I know it is now compatible with the Apple Home Kit and with the Amazon Echo but at least when using the Apple Home Kit you then lose the auto feature for the heating/air conditioning which to me makes it uselesss if I can't use the auto feature in the spring and fall.

Is the OnHub also a wireless access point cause I have finally got a really good one of those and whatever I get I just want it to connect to my exisiting infrastructure.
at it's core, it's a router.
with special antenna's that arent being used at the moment.

so, it'll most likely be a good access point.
so, most likely, you will be able to hook up Ecobee and have it automated

also, this week, On hub supports IFTTT...
I havent found any useful "recipes"
but i'm sure IFTTT could be useful to some
Old 05-04-2016, 12:44 PM

My only issue is I need super long range coverage. I want to have coverage in my backyard even. My current router Asus-AC68U is listed as one of the top ones for range. I can get usable signal in almost all of my backyard and most of my front yard right now. No dead spots in the entire house either obviously.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:15 PM

there are specialised antennae inside the machine! they havent turned them on yet, so no one knows what they do. people speculate they are for covering dead spots.

read up on the Onhub!
Old 05-04-2016, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace
there are specialised antennae inside the machine! they havent turned them on yet, so no one knows what they do. people speculate they are for covering dead spots.

read up on the Onhub!
Well thats no fun when I can just bother you for the information
Old 05-04-2016, 01:20 PM

lol i dont know if im explaining it right!
Old 05-04-2016, 03:01 PM
The Third Ball

Funny. My dad just texted because they finally got their wifi, so the ecobee finally went online. He got an email saying the remote sensor wasn't assembled properly and provided a way to fix it.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Ex-OEM King

What one do you have? My router sucks the big one and is starting to fail (drops connection all the time until you reboot the device) so I'm in the market for a new one. Would like one that's reliable. My old WRT54G kicked ass for years but I needed one with more bandwidth for streaming and games. The Netgear one I have now is only a year and a half old and is already dying.

at it's core, it's a router.
with special antenna's that arent being used at the moment.

so, it'll most likely be a good access point.
so, most likely, you will be able to hook up Ecobee and have it automated

also, this week, On hub supports IFTTT...
I havent found any useful "recipes"
but i'm sure IFTTT could be useful to some
It's a router for now but there are rumors that it will eventually be used as the hub for OnHub in a similar way that Echo is a hub. OnHub is evolving all the time with updates, I'm debating getting one as my next router but want to wait until the real purpose (and likely new device to go with it) is announced.

read up on the Onhub!
Who knows! Maybe they are a dedicated frequency for onhub components and accessories so they run without taking up bandwidth from other components and to increase security? I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:31 PM

What one do you have? My router sucks the big one and is starting to fail (drops connection all the time until you reboot the device) so I'm in the market for a new one. Would like one that's reliable. My old WRT54G kicked ass for years but I needed one with more bandwidth for streaming and games. The Netgear one I have now is only a year and a half old and is already dying.
I have the Asus RT-AC68U. I love it. At my last house I had it in a central location on the first floor. I could mow my entire .5 acre lot both front and back yards using my wifi for my phone to stream music.

This is my 4th different wireless router over about the last 10 years and it by far has the largest range signal of any of them. I have not really had it slow down on me at all either even when downloading something on my desktop, gaming on my Xbox, and my gf streaming videos on her tablet or phone at the same time. I have between 10-15 devices connected to it at any time with no issues. Obviously they are not all being used at the same time though.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Funny. My dad just texted because they finally got their wifi, so the ecobee finally went online. He got an email saying the remote sensor wasn't assembled properly and provided a way to fix it.
I was reading about that issue on Amazon today. Basically a bunch of the sensors hade the cover put on upside down. They need some better QC for sure.

You can get a thermostat and 3 sensors for almost right at $300 right now if you buy the Ecobee3 with 1 Sensor and then 2 sensors package seperate. Its like $15 more if you but a package deal right no on Amazon for anyone that is interested.

Quick Reply: Nest Thermostat