Nest Thermostat

Old 01-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,657 Likes on 2,491 Posts
I wish I could control my Samsung SmartTV with SmartThings but unforutunately it appears to be too old and I would need a seperate hub for that.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
To make this work even better the next thing you would need to really add are the controllable vents for each room. That way you can limit the air going into each room once it has reached its desired temperature. I have not gotten this far but am definitely considering it for my first floor for sure. You can then using a smart home hub like SmartThings to integrate everything. I believe a setup with both multiple sensors and smart vents in primary rooms will be in the long term where you really start to see savings.
yeah... there are systems designed to do this though... Ones that will make sure you have enough air going over the coil to prevent freezup. I don't know that the smartthings compatible products are quite there yet. Besides that, whatever you think you may be gaining in energy savings, you're likely losing in wear and tear on your equipment. Heating/AC equipment does not like to cycle or operate on partial loads.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:15 PM
Safety Car

I wish I could control my Samsung SmartTV with SmartThings but unforutunately it appears to be too old and I would need a seperate hub for that.
I bought a samsung DVD player and hooked it up to my samsung tv and the tv went berserk. I had to return it. Crazy.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,831 Likes on 3,852 Posts
To make this work even better the next thing you would need to really add are the controllable vents for each room. That way you can limit the air going into each room once it has reached its desired temperature. I have not gotten this far but am definitely considering it for my first floor for sure. You can then using a smart home hub like SmartThings to integrate everything. I believe a setup with both multiple sensors and smart vents in primary rooms will be in the long term where you really start to see savings.
Sure but this is a lot more involved than just tossing on an ecobee. If you're going this route, you could do the same thing with Nest and a ST temp sensor. A tstat integrated one would be unnecessary.

I run everything through Harmony Hub and IFTTT. Only a matter of time before these things natively integrate with GH.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
I run everything through Harmony Hub and IFTTT. Only a matter of time before these things natively integrate with GH.
Oh ok I thought you meant you were able to do it now without the Harmony Hub. I have been looking at that so I don't have to turn my entire setup on with multiple remotes but I really am waiting for the one with the touch screen to go onsale.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Ex-OEM King

Oh ok I thought you meant you were able to do it now without the Harmony Hub. I have been looking at that so I don't have to turn my entire setup on with multiple remotes but I really am waiting for the one with the touch screen to go onsale.
I didn't bother with the touch screen one as the one I have uses a standard remote for the hub (RF communication) and if I need more I can use the phone interface which already has a nice screen. Never have to charge the remote and don't have to point it at the hub for it to function. Also saved ~$150 with passing on the touchscreen.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:48 PM
Safety Car

apparently any Honeywell total connect stat will interface with ST. A much better device with far more capabilities IMO.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
I didn't bother with the touch screen one as the one I have uses a standard remote for the hub (RF communication) and if I need more I can use the phone interface which already has a nice screen. Never have to charge the remote and don't have to point it at the hub for it to function. Also saved ~$150 with passing on the touchscreen.
I will have to look into that. The reason for the touch screen desire was my buddy showed me how he had it integrated with his smart home and could control smartthings devices from it as well without always needing his phone.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by brian2
apparently any Honeywell total connect stat will interface with ST. A much better device with far more capabilities IMO.
Depends on which models then I guess. I feel like my Ecobee has a lot more features and settings than my Honeywell Touchscreen Wifi tstat had. I have one to sell if anyone wants one.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:20 PM
Ex-OEM King

I will have to look into that. The reason for the touch screen desire was my buddy showed me how he had it integrated with his smart home and could control smartthings devices from it as well without always needing his phone.
It's called Harmony Smart Control. The phone has a bigger and better screen anyway and, IMO, smart things should control the hub not the other way around. With IFTTT, you could set up recipes pretty quick.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Safety Car

Depends on which models then I guess. I feel like my Ecobee has a lot more features and settings than my Honeywell Touchscreen Wifi tstat had. I have one to sell if anyone wants one.
was it redlink?
I have 3 systems in my house, and unfortunately only one has a standard t-stat... the other two are communicating, so I'd be giving up a lot more than I'd be getting if I hooked them up to ST.
I'm more of set it and forget it with the t-stat though... once I have the schedules set, the only reason to alter from the setpoint is if I'm home in unoccupied mode, or I'm going on vacation.
Anyway, the one cool feature that my traditional stat has, that I'm not sure that nest can do (maybe you can tell me) is optimal start time. With this, the thermostat "learns" how long it takes your system to cool or heat your house to your desired setpoint, so it turns your system on prior to your occupancy time so that it's at the desired setpoint when it hits that point... rather than turning the system on at that point.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:43 PM

I don't know if the Nest has it but I do not think my Ecobee has it. I wish it did. I have kind of figured out over time how long it takes to get to a set temp. In spring, fall, and winter I have it come on about 30min before I get home. In the summer when it is really hot out it is an hour or a little more I set it for. My Ecobee might have that but if it does I have not figured it out.

This is the one I have I am no longer using. Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat - Wi-Fi 9000 | Honeywell Only reason I got rid of it was to have the extra sensors. I either have more efficent units at my new house or it is actually saving me money with the extra sensors cause my electric bill is the same with a larger first floor with a vaulted ceiling and I now have fiberboard siding instead of brick.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

extra sensors is a comfort thing, not an energy savings thing
Old 01-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Ex-OEM King

Anyway, the one cool feature that my traditional stat has, that I'm not sure that nest can do (maybe you can tell me) is optimal start time. With this, the thermostat "learns" how long it takes your system to cool or heat your house to your desired setpoint, so it turns your system on prior to your occupancy time so that it's at the desired setpoint when it hits that point... rather than turning the system on at that point.
The Nest absolutely does this. My old Honeywell (also for sale ) also did this.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:03 PM

extra sensors is a comfort thing, not an energy savings thing
I would argue that it can be both though depending on where your thermostat is located. Our thermostat is in a hallway right off our kitchen. The reading on the thermostat is always colder than my bedroom at night in the winter and hotter in the summer than our bedroom in the summer. So for when we sleep from 10pm-6am we set it to only use the sensor in the bedroom. So the actual thermostat sensor reads 2 degrees colder than the bedroom sensor. That to me would mean that the system is running less. When we are away the sensor in our room where the dog are kept is the only one being polled. The sun rises on that side of the house so by the time it is the warmest point of the day in the summer it doesn't have direct sun so the A/C doesn't run as long having it only use that sensor since that room typically stays cooler than the rest of the house as the master bedroom and living room are on the backside of the house and will get warmer.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Safety Car

I would argue that it can be both though depending on where your thermostat is located. Our thermostat is in a hallway right off our kitchen. The reading on the thermostat is always colder than my bedroom at night in the winter and hotter in the summer than our bedroom in the summer. So for when we sleep from 10pm-6am we set it to only use the sensor in the bedroom. So the actual thermostat sensor reads 2 degrees colder than the bedroom sensor. That to me would mean that the system is running less. When we are away the sensor in our room where the dog are kept is the only one being polled. The sun rises on that side of the house so by the time it is the warmest point of the day in the summer it doesn't have direct sun so the A/C doesn't run as long having it only use that sensor since that room typically stays cooler than the rest of the house as the master bedroom and living room are on the backside of the house and will get warmer.
I get you... You may see some savings there... Seems a little convoluted though.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Hmmm ecobee4 announced
Old 05-04-2017, 06:26 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
Hmmm ecobee4 announced
Saw that but it looks like Alexa integration and a bit bigger, nothing major to me but I'm debating about picking up a 3 on clearance for our other AC zone to compare to Nest.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:29 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

You know, I thought this was a waste until I bought a new Samsung and now I'm constantly having Alexa via ST turn it off. Neither my wife nor I realized how nice it is to set the goodnight routine that drops the AC, locks the doors if we haven't, turns off any lights that are on, sets the alarm, and turns the TV off with one button push. As others have said, Harmony can do it if your TV can't but the new SmartRemote or whatever from Samsung is nice, one tiny remote to control the TV, sound bar, Apple TV, Amazon Fire and no programming.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Ex-OEM King

^ What alarm system do you use that's connected to ST?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i've just realized last night how lazy we are getting with this automation... i didn't bother to get up to lock my door last night because i knew it would automatically lock after 30 seconds...
Old 05-04-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts

Tell me more about these automated door locks please.

(not so I can rob you, but because I'm interested in this for my underpass refrigerator box.)

Spoiler

The following users liked this post:
Mizouse (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Ex-OEM King

...also interested in these automatic door locks lol.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:53 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Well, Smart Home Monitor, kind of an alarm but the one built into smart things. I have all the doors, windows, and outside gate sensored, along with motion sensors and a siren.

As for the door locks, all the major manufactures make them that will lock within a certain time period after opening it or you can make a "routine" that will lock it, along with various other things such as adjust AC, turn off lights, etc. As for robbing, I guess you could hack ST and rob us but I would think just smashing the window would be easier.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Anyone ever get an E24 error where the voltage keeps dropping thus shutting down the thermostat temporarily? I spoke to Nest and after some troubleshooting an a/c tech is coming by today to add an add'l power connection to the thermostat by finding another wire to connect to it or running one. Nest is reimbursing.
justnspace (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
happened to me. and I reported in this thread.

originally, I installed Nest and didnt have ANY problems for a year.
then one night during the summer, A/C completely shut off. After troubleshooting with Nest for a few days, we found that the NEST was not receiving power and shutting down. (we found this out by taking off the face of nest and plugging it in via USB to recharge the internal battery) I was advised to add a C wire(common wire) to nest.
my A/C unit control panel DID not have a Common wire attached, and had a friend hook up a common wire to the control panel and drop it down the attic. instead of creating more work by dropping C wire all the way to where nest was originally, we just dropped wire to the 2nd floor. (attic to upstairs.) that solved EVERYTHING
Doom878 (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 07:26 AM
Team Owner

Oh wow it happened to you too? What did you connect it to in the attic? Sorry I'm dumb in electrical.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doom878
Oh wow it happened to you too? What did you connect it to in the attic? Sorry I'm dumb in electrical.
there's a control panel on the A/C unit. you can either move an unused wire to the C port. or you can add a wire to the C port.
my a/c friend decided to add a wire to the C port. (which means he had to drop the new wire down) I suppose it would be easier to move an unused wire. (because they are already dropped down to where your nest is) if you have an unused wire, that is.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:38 AM

and believe me, it was a frustrating experience (having no A/C at night in the summer time) you can relate, as our climates are pretty much the same.. HOT AND HUMID
Old 07-03-2017, 07:51 AM
Team Owner

Luckily the temp would cool enough to get to 75 overnight but yeah sleeping has sucked.
justnspace (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Team Owner

The guy went in and found a cable. He's charging $180 so hopefully that works. He's testing it right now. He wanted to cross sell fixing the UV light to kill the bacteria for $180 but I told him not right now. Do you guys even UV?
Old 07-03-2017, 08:08 AM

my A/C unit does not have U/V light installed. well, I dont think it does. but interesting, as it should help kill bacteria growth.
but I dont have any breathing problems due to mold or anything. Well, I dont think i do. lol
Old 07-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Team Owner

So yeah that didn't work but the pipe was clogged up some. Even though I changed out the filter (I've been here 4 mos) with my Rott and 3 cats, probably all that hair clogged it up. Seems to be running ok since the unclogging. Going to have to run bleach in there too.
justnspace (07-03-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 08:10 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Installed the Ecobee4 in our master the other day, meh. The Alexa integration is awesome and the speaker sounds pretty good but to me, the unit is ugly and I hate using the screen to adjust the temp. Nest just looks good and personally, I rather twist it then slide my finger across.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
I'm surprised that Nest is going to reimburse for the expense of running the power wire.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by doopstr
I'm surprised that Nest is going to reimburse for the expense of running the power wire.
I feel like they are a little bit liable... The instructions for installation say the C wire isn't required. If it states that it is required, no problem and would have let a friend or technician install it. But it was touted as easy by using the existing wires that was already there...I have first gen nest.... So not sure if wording has changed in their literature.

I suffered a few days of uncomfortable sleep
Old 07-04-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Debating the ecobee3 or nest.

thinking ecobee since it's HomeKit compatible

are thete any limitations on these things? Like our furnace and AC unit are old as fuck. 25+ years old.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

I think the C wire is the main thing but I could be wrong. Both the Nest and Eco worked on 20 year old AC's and continue to work, once we updated them to new units. I don't think much has changed in terms of hookups but I could be wrong. Nest has a guide that may help, compatibility guide
The following 2 users liked this post by 1StGenCL:
justnspace (07-05-2017), Mizouse (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
Debating the ecobee3 or nest.

thinking ecobee since it's HomeKit compatible

are thete any limitations on these things? Like our furnace and AC unit are old as fuck. 25+ years old.
We have the Ecobee Smart Si & my only complaint so far (only been in the house 2 weeks) is the response to commands is slow & it doesn't seem to be able to find our WiFi to connect them.
The programmability is nice, compared to the basic thermostat we had at our old house.
Mizouse (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 02:48 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
I think the C wire is the main thing but I could be wrong. Both the Nest and Eco worked on 20 year old AC's and continue to work, once we updated them to new units. I don't think much has changed in terms of hookups but I could be wrong. Nest has a guide that may help, compatibility guide
FWIW, you could have the C wire already and it may be just shoved into the wall behind the tstat. That's how mine was since my old model didn't use it.
The following 3 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
1StGenCL (07-06-2017), justnspace (07-05-2017), Mizouse (07-05-2017)

Quick Reply: Nest Thermostat