Mattress Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Mattress Thread

Anyone rocking a Stearns and Foster? My wife and I ended up getting a king in their Lux Latex line. Seems like they are a tighter on pricing than Simmons and Sealy. Stores were willing to deal a lot more on Beauty Rests and Posturepedics. Trying to get something going for SnF's were like pulling teeth. Every mattress store has a different name for each model so their price matching BS, is exactly that lol.

Oh well happy wife, happy life. She got what she wanted and with these things marked up to all hell, I had to grind them a bit and I'm sure they still made plenty of money off of us.

We chose against the Tempurpedic route, when I sunk in, moving to a different position (I sleep on my back, side, stomach, etc) just didn't feel right.

What mattress are you guys using?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 AM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Waterbed for 30 years and now a Tempurpedic.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Just bought a new home and had a hard time looking for a King mattress. Almost all of them felt similar so I just went with a reputable brand and got a Simmons set. My current queen set is Serta.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
I'm going to keep track of this thread. We need a new mattress. We've had a Sealy for 7 years now. It's not as comfortable as it used to be. We may look at getting a new one.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
We had a Simmons beautyrest pillow top, firm, in queen. I liked having a firm bed, but when we bought our sectional 2+ years ago I started sleeping on that a lot and it is super plush.

My wife has hated my bed since she met me, so whenever we stay at resort hotels and what not, she loves these plush king size beds and keeps hinting at a new bed.

My beloved Simmons will be missed, but not as much as I thought. It had 6 good years with me. Two of those years I was a bachelor, so for my wife this is really a fresh start lol.

Doing research online is next to impossible, CR won't even compare beds, and they are marked up so high they have no problem knocking $300-500 off of a bed. The SnF we purchased (coming today) stickered for something around $2,499 for a king set.

Most places that had a bed that felt the same (since each store has a different name) was around the same price. From there we went to the person who was most helpful, least pressure. She told us that SnF just holds their pricing tighter than they do for Sealy or Simmons. Checking online confirmed it, sounded a lot like Apple.

I asked her if it was possible to get to $2200 w/tax including a set of bamboo sheets, two high end pillows and a waterproof mattress pad. A little note, if you don't get the mattress pad and stain the bed, you will void your warranty so keep that in mind, if they don't throw it in, it is only $50-90 depending on size. She thought I was nuts, but a little more grinding and we were able to get it done close to that price.

Good luck on your mattress purchases..
Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I'm going to keep track of this thread. We need a new mattress. We've had a Sealy for 7 years now. It's not as comfortable as it used to be. We may look at getting a new one.
Check overstock.com. I scored my King for $580 shipped to my door and it comes with box springs.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I ended up getting a tempurpedic. I love the thing. Never slept so good in my life. My parents had a S&F king size, they had it replaced 2 times under warranty, and finally threw it out shortly after. Neither are heavy people but both sides would leave 2-3"+ deep indents where they slept after 6 months or so. You couldnt sleep anywhere but there because you would literally roll into them. They now have a sleep number and love it. If i had to go back and get a new bed but couldnt get a Tempur, id get the sleep number as its extremely comfy as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 AM
The Box

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
I've had a tempurpedic for 4 years now, so glad I made this decision. I travel every other week for work and have slept on many different mattresses, and I am excited about my first night home every time.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
I have a Stearns and Foster King Latex Mattress and i tell you what i will never buy a mattress with springs again. Latex is amazing and In my option way better then memory foam like tempurpedic or any spring mattress.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
BUMP!

So the Mrs and I want to upgrade our mattress. Sears was having a sale, 60% off, 24-60 month no interest financing, and then an additional 10% F&F discount over the weekend. So we went in and tested them all.

It came down to just two, the Serta iComfort Epic ($3400) and a S&F box-spring ($1800). Long story short, I decided to walk, go home and do some research. And I am SO glad I did.

Nearly all foams, aside from the Tempurpedics, get absolutely horrible reviews online. Apparently none of the major manufacturers list the materials used. It's got six layers! Yeah, six layers of what? 8 inches of 2lb foam? No thanks. They all are reviews to have "sink" holes...even within the first year of use!

Anyway after digging around on forums I found that what most people recommend is... buy off Amazon. Lol. Apparently there are smaller companies that make and assemble here in the USA that actually list what materials have been used. All the while selling for a fourth to an eight of the comparable major manufacturers price.

The iComfort we picked was $3400 (that's 63% off too)...the highest end on Amazon is $1100. Shipped in a box to your door for free. Amazing reviews both on Amazon and on forums around the web.

But what a risk, buying a mattress you've never tested.

Anyone have any experience here? Dreamfoam, Sleep Innovations, Novafoam (Costco)?
Old 11-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,133 Posts
Sleep Like The Dead Is #1 In Sleep Product Research : Independent and Unbiased Mattress Reviews, Pillow Ratings and Much More

FWIW, foam gets the best reviews and inner spring get the worst.

Wow $3400 for a mattress and I thought spending $1000 was a lot. Super high markup on these things. Mine is about 10 years old and will soon need to be replaced as it's starting to hurt my back. I have an innerspring with a pillow top. Don't think i will bother with pillow top next time.

Last edited by doopstr; 11-10-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Race Director

Yea, on that memory foam list, the cheap Amazon Dreamfoam mattress has the highest reviews. For a fourth of the cost. $917 for the Cali King.

Amazon.com - DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams 13-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Queen - Amazon.com - DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams 13-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Queen -
The following users liked this post:
doopstr (11-10-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Check out this place: Latex Mattresses On Sale - Latex Mattress Toppers - Phoenix, AZ

It is the Arizona Mattress Company (or something similar). They manufacture talalay latex mattresses and sell them direct from the factory, skipping the middle-man cost. The website is poorly designed, but the mattresses are the shit. They are pure latex cores that get stuffed into a cover and don't use box springs. (Depending on the size, you may have to stuff the core in.) Throw this on a platform and call it a day.

Here is the link to the kind I bought in 2009: #1 Selling Latex Mattress- Adjustable Ultra Plush, Latex Mattresses-All Natural & Talalay Latex Bed, All Products,
This thing is ridiculously comfortable. You won't want to get out. If you get the king, you end up ordering two twin cores, and you can choose the firmness of each to customize for different people.

When we moved my son out of his crib, we bought a twin core and topper from the left-over pieces they sell at a good discount.

I would recommend one of these to anyone and put it up against the Tempurpedic's of the world.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Tempurpedic with motorized adjustable frame.

Many nights in high-end hotels and nothing has ever beaten Tempurpedic at home.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by maharajamd
Yea, on that memory foam list, the cheap Amazon Dreamfoam mattress has the highest reviews. For a fourth of the cost. $917 for the Cali King.

Amazon.com - DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams 13-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Queen -
I have the queen size version of this mattress...absolutely love it! I went to the mattress store, determined which Tempurpedic I liked the best (Cloud Luxe since I'm primarily a side sleeper), and then bought the DreamFoam version of it. That along with the pillow below, and it's the best I've ever slept. And for the record, the mattress isn't the least bit hot in the summer or hard in the winter.

Pillow Pillow
maharajamd (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Race Director

See maybe it's just me but I thought the Tempurs were extremely overpriced. And I'm talking overpriced from the big names. When looked at in comparison to the Innovations, Dreams, and Nova mattresses they are astronomically priced. Great product though I'm sure.

Originally Posted by chill_dog
I have the queen size version of this mattress...absolutely love it! I went to the mattress store, determined which Tempurpedic I liked the best (Cloud Luxe since I'm primarily a side sleeper), and then bought the DreamFoam version of it. That along with the pillow below, and it's the best I've ever slept. And for the record, the mattress isn't the least bit hot in the summer or hard in the winter.

Pillow
Fantastic! We are going to order a Dreamfoam closer to Christmas.

And this may sound odd but I believe we are going to buy a memory foam topper for the new mattress right off the bat. In my research I found that all of the big name foam mattresses get bad reviews because the top layer degrades somewhat quickly. And that makes sense. To get that "soft cloud" like feel you either have to put a less dense foam layer on the top or in box-springs a pillow top. So my logic is buy a mattress that will last and if it's not "cozy" enough for her tastes, buy a soft topper. That way when it wears down in a couple years, we can just replace the topper.

Last edited by maharajamd; 11-14-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Mattresses are stupid expensive. I know you spend a third of you life on them and all that, but the prices are ridiculous. Ours is about 8 years old and we will be in the market soon......

Last edited by NBP04TL4ME; 11-14-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 133 Posts
We have a tempurpedic rhapsody, it's on the firm side.
I was against those memory foam matresses at first, but now I love it.
It was pricey, but it's not every day you buy a new matress I guess.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Race Director

Check out some of the ones listed since I bumped the thread. I think $1000 for a nice highly rated memory foam Cali King is very reasonable.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Team Owner

I decided to give BedInABox a shot. I ordered the Queen 11" PacBed with foundation. I'll see how it goes.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
always had a question about Kimchee's.

why dafuq do they sleep on hard ass mattresses ?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by doopstr
I decided to give BedInABox a shot. I ordered the Queen 11" PacBed with foundation. I'll see how it goes.
So I've had the bed for a week and so far so good. It definitely is taking a little time to get used to it. I see why they want people to sleep on it for 60 days before deciding to return it.

The first night I laid on the new mattress it felt like a rock, however once I fell asleep I was out. The first two mornings I woke up with lower back pain but it wasn't severe. My wife had some upper back pain. For the next few nights I could notice that the mattress was becoming softer than the night before. By the 3rd morning I woke up with no pain but a little stiff. I'm still a little stiff when I wake up now but I can tell I am sleeping much better. I am having far many more dreams than I was having with the old mattress so I believe that indicates REM sleep. I feel more refreshed when I wake up in the morning.

I'll update father down the line if this thread pops up again.

Last edited by doopstr; 02-13-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Acura_Dude (02-18-2015)
Old 03-07-2016, 09:15 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
^ Updates?

Only because I saw this just now....

Bed-in-a-Box Startups Challenge Traditional Mattress Makers - WSJ

Bed-in-a-Box Startups Challenge Traditional Mattress Makers

March 7, 2016 3:04 p.m. ET

When Will Haley decided to buy a king-size mattress, he did what he does when he needs a new computer or baby diapers: he bought it online.

Never mind that the mattress cost $950, and he wasn’t going to be able to try it out. “I just didn’t want to go to a showroom,” says the 36-year old software developer and father of three from Rocky Mount, N.C.

Mattresses were long considered immune to the e-commerce boom. For decades, they have been sold in showrooms full of dozens of styles with dizzying discounts and high-pressure salespeople.

But a new breed of upstarts with slick websites has cracked into the $14 billion U.S. mattress industry. The online sellers offer just a few varieties at fixed prices—and ship free to customers’ doors a foam mattress that is compressed into a box the size of a large suitcase.

Industry incumbents aren’t taking the new challenge lying down. Tempur Sealy International Inc., the world’s largest mattress manufacturer, this week will start selling its own bed in a box, called Cocoon by Sealy. It will be sold at fixed prices -- $549 to $999 depending on size -- through a dedicated website. It comes in two models: soft or firm.

Mr. Haley bought his bed from Casper Sleep Inc., which sells one type of mattress. The size determines the price, from $500 for twin to $950 for king. Casper’s approach is one of simplicity and convenience, not coil counts and pillow tops. The company generated $100 million in sales last year, its first full year of operation.

Casper and other newer companies, such as Leesa Sleep and Yogabed, have designed sites tailored for smartphones that require a few clicks to order. In place of the chance to try out a $5,000 Tempur-Pedic with adjustable base or lie down on a $2,500 Serta iComfort with gel memory foam, they promise free shipping, 100-day guarantees and free returns.

It is a process aimed at the often wealthier, younger and busy shoppers who care less about kicking the tires and more about convenience. Mr. Haley says he felt comfortable buying the mattress sight unseen because online reviews are enough quality control.

Two-year-old Casper and its rivals represent 2% to 3% of the U.S. market but they are proliferating. “I’ve counted thirteen [startups], most of which have popped up in the last two years,” says Peter Keith, a retail analyst at Piper Jaffray who studies the bedding industry.

Compressed mattresses promise high margins because they are cheaper to ship than inner spring mattresses that can’t be compressed, says Joe Van De Hey, chief executive of C3 Corp., a maker of mattress-compression machinery. Because of how carriers like FedEx and UPS charge, delivering a 90-pound compressed mattress is less expensive than home delivery with a regular truck, he says.

Returns, however, are a challenge. Most bed-in-a-box upstarts offer a free-return policy, but work hard to keep returns low since that requires sending someone to haul away what has expanded into a very large mattress.

In the past Casper sent out a topper, or top cushion, to customers who called to complain about the feel of their mattresses but found it didn’t reduce returns, says Neil Parikh, the company’s chief operating officer. Instead it has worked to improve the product to reduce returns, Mr. Parikh says. He declined to disclose Casper’s return rate.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:49 PM
Team Owner

Casper has raised a ridiculous amount of money. Unicorn mattress company.

My BedInABox is doing well. It has gotten somewhat softer over the year but is still comfortable.

I'm happy to report that I really enjoy on it .

Can anyone recommend a pillow?

Oh in case anyone is wondering how the hell you return a mail order mattress. My understanding is that you don't. Basically they will tell you to donate the mattress and get a receipt, then they will give you your money back.

Last edited by doopstr; 03-07-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:11 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
We got a sleep number a month ago. Its nice.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Oh in case anyone is wondering how the hell you return a mail order mattress. My understanding is that you don't. Basically they will tell you to donate the mattress and get a receipt, then they will give you your money back.
problem is, many charities won't take mattresses nowadays... so wtf?
Old 03-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,573 Likes on 6,624 Posts
I'm debating between Casper and Purple for my mattress.. Anyone seen reviews between the two
Old 03-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Team Owner

We got a Saavta luxury firm in February. It's great. We love it. I've slept great on it and have no more back pains. It's a gamble since there is no showroom. We found out it was similar to the Simmons Black luxury firm and tested that out. We got a 75 day return window and all we would lose is the $99 shipping fee.

It was a third of the price of the Simmons Black.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:40 AM
Team Owner

I'll update father down the line if this thread pops up again.
Time for an update. I've had this BedinABox mattress over a year now. It was great for the first year but since the last couple months I am starting to suffer from back pain. I tried turning the mattress and it didn't help. I spent a few nights in a hotel and my back pain went away so it's definitely an issue with this mattress. I'm going to call the manufacturer to see if anything can be done. I doubt they will replace it as the warranty only covers sagging and there isn't any visible sign of that.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:58 AM
Team Owner

^^^^

That sucks.

Our Saatva have been really good. I'm very happy with it. My back pain is pretty much gone. So is my wife's. And as it is getting warmer the temperature of the mattress is pretty much constant.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
We got a sleep number a month ago. Its nice.

We did the same because I was getting pain in my legs all night -- old mattress was too firm for my battered body. Got the m7. I set it to 35 for a decent night's rest.

Now my wife is addicted to their sheets too (Lyocell). I have to admit they are really comfortable.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:06 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Time for an update. I've had this BedinABox mattress over a year now. It was great for the first year but since the last couple months I am starting to suffer from back pain. I tried turning the mattress and it didn't help. I spent a few nights in a hotel and my back pain went away so it's definitely an issue with this mattress. I'm going to call the manufacturer to see if anything can be done. I doubt they will replace it as the warranty only covers sagging and there isn't any visible sign of that.
Their warranty is a bit contradictory. First they state:

"We believe in the superior quality of our products. A quality mattress is a worthwhile investment and should provide you many years of comfortable rest. Our mattresses are designed to do just that. We guarantee and stand behind our product for 20 full years. "
then they state:

Additionally, this warranty does not cover:
  • A normal increase in softness of the memory foam which is normal and does not affect the pressure-relieving quality of the mattress.
  • Comfort preference

Old 06-30-2016, 07:50 AM
Race Director

Late to the game here but that's generally what happens with foam mattresses. Because it's layered it's possible that the second or third layers have or are failing but you'd never see it just looking at it because the top layer is fine. This is one of the main reasons it's imperative that when buying a foam mattress you know the density of each and every layer. Which the big box stores don't ever list. I can't comment on BedinABox though. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,408 Likes on 3,020 Posts
Chad, what did you guys end up going with?
Old 07-04-2016, 10:42 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by maharajamd

Amazon.com - DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams 13-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Queen -
Old 07-11-2016, 05:59 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
We had just purchased a serta i-series norhill, it is very comfortable.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
very interesting thread - anyone have a 100% latex mattress?
Old 07-11-2016, 06:58 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,914 Likes on 14,457 Posts
About ten years ago, I did bed in a box for my bed and my wife (then gf) followed suit with one for her apartment.
Mine, after about a year or, they replaced it by just sending another one. I believe at the time, I had to try and shove it into a box...I vaguely recall going to a furniture store dumpster looking for a box big enough. I may have had to send in pictures but I did so by laying on the bed and then popping up quickly and snapping the shot.

My problem with the memory foam ones is I love them...but my fat arse always creates and indentation and I'm a side sleeper so my hip kinda ends up falling into this crater. Wake up to sciatic pain.
Over time, I decided to bail on the cheap bed in a box and we finally bought a $2000 entry level tempurpedic with 20 year warranty. Slept well for 5 years and now I have that same ass crater going on.
Currently went through their online warranty process and they basically responded in one day with a no quesitons asked "go pick one of these 3" that are comparable (but $1000 more than we spent at this point) since our model is discontinued now.
Went to mattress firm and tested out 2 that they carried and we're going to Sears to check out the hybrid that mattress firm didn't have. Want to make an informed decision. The guy at mattress firm was trying to upsell us to one of the $4000 ones...
Naw player...not lookin at any out of pocket. If we get another 5-10 out of the new tempurpedic...I'll feel okay with having spent $2000 for a decade of good sleep. Even now, I don't sleep badly on our TP...I can just tell there's this vague lower back pain that gets exacerbated (spelling??!! exmasturbated) when I lay on it. If I sleep in the middle of the mattress between our two ass dips...I immediately feel relief and sleep well.

Now, oddly enough, my wife's bed in a box queen is STILL in our guest room to this day...and I have been sleeping on that to get relief from the tempurpedic.
doopstr (07-11-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 12:21 PM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
I've had a Purple Mattress for about 3 months and absolutely love it. My last mattress was super old so I'm not sure how big of an upgrade it was all I know is that I sleep very well now and don't wake up in pain like before.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil Dog 21
I've had a Purple Mattress for about 3 months and absolutely love it. My last mattress was super old so I'm not sure how big of an upgrade it was all I know is that I sleep very well now and don't wake up in pain like before.
Good to hear. This is planned to be my next mattress. Currently have a Tempurpedic and dealing with "the pit". I'm most interested in what seems like a nice air gap in the upper layer which should hopefully be cooler.

Quick Reply: Mattress Thread