Biggest Furniture Rant in History

Old 02-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Biggest Furniture Rant in History

1. Moved all furniture (except living rm couches, etc) from NYC to Miami apt

2. Movers show up three weeks later to Miami bldg complex - bldg neglected to tell me that their loading dock can only fit certain sized trucks. turns out that i need to pay movers $200 for "shuttle service" to move my furniture to a smaller truck.

3. Movers duties are complete...now I need to buy living rm furniture...I go to local place and purchase $2k worth of furniture. i tell the store that they MUST use a small truck to deliver...they show up 7 hours late on delivery day. i go down to meet them upon arrival, and see them LEAVING with my furniture in an 18 wheeler. the driver hangs out his window and goes "hasta manana". they did not attempt to carry the furniture through the door, since the truck was too big for the loading dock...they also had no intention to tell me that they were going to leave with my furniture.

4. cancel order with furniture company #1. still waiting for reimbusement.

5. order new furniture with different local store...same EXACT thing happens

6. decide to take the matter into my own hands, since my bldg's 12' gate is too small for most trucks. and i cannot communicate well enough with spanish speaking movers to get them to carry the furniture in from the street. so, i rent a cargo van and go to the local IKEA in Sunrise, FL to buy dissassembled furniture and couches...hit massive traffic on the way home with the cargo van, and dont make the return deadline at Entreprise...turns out that they are closed the next day. i need to spend $80 to garage the truck for two days. when i eventually go to return the truck, i cannot - streets closed for Miami marathon. i go ahead and garage the truck for a third day. truck is eventually brought back.

7. when i bought the couches from IKEA, they were originally sold out of the covers for the couches. so i bought them bare-bones. i just got off the phone with every IKEA. the corporate warehouse and every US IKEA location that delivers (only the franchises do so) are sold out of couch covers. they told me the only way i could get the covers is by having a friend go out to the Utah IKEA, place an order in person, then fedex me the sofa cover. then have a second friend go to the NJ IKEA, place and order in person for the chaise cover, and then also fedex that to me. " " ....or, i could go with a coverless couch until the inventory is replenished in 10-12 weeks! they dont do back orders, and do not do gaurantees. id have to check everyday to get my hands on the sofa and chaise covers.

8. the process is STILL continues...

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 02-01-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

seriously, i feel like mush from Bronx Tale. ive invested literally close to 100 hours, and almost $10k...and i still do not have a completely furnished apt.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
couldn't you just take your own furniture from one of the two places u ordered the living room set from??? and hire some of the messicans to carry it up for you when u got home???
Old 02-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
couldn't you just take your own furniture from one of the two places u ordered the living room set from??? and hire some of the messicans to carry it up for you when u got home???
firstly...
i would have needed to get a legitimate uhaul to carry all of that furniture. and if i was coming in with "assembled" furniture from the store, i would need to book the freight elevators at 3 hr intervals - which would be nearly impossible to coordinate with mexicans who show up 5 to 7 hours late. at the time, it seeemed much easier to find an enterprise within walking distance and get a stow-n-go Caravan and pack it with unassembled ikea furniture. also, it is very hard for me to book the freight elevators, b/c i cursed out my conceirge...he took my $20 tip to "extend" the elevator time-slot when the furniture truck showed up late, but then "forgot" to tell me that they had already left b/c the truck didnt fit through the loading dock. he basically swindled me out of a $20 tip. he played the language barrier card, and refused to give me my $20 back.

secondly...
id feel like a complete sucker going back to furniture company #1 or #2 to do business. just the principle of the matter...they should have given me a full refund and then some for wasting my time with this B.S.

miami is a real pain in the ass. no one gives a fuck, and no one will do anything beyond the bare minimum to get things done. this may be racist to say, but my opinion on the border issue has done a complete 180 since ive moved down here.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 02-01-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

further examples of the above generalization...

^ example 2...my cable technician didnt show up and it resulted in 4 visits to comcast just to get a working cable box...visit one: english speaking employee wasnt there. visit two: fight broke out, cops shut down comcast service center. visit three: received broken box. visit four: finally got working cable box.

^ example 3...my bldg did a third party background check on me, which claimed i did time in Indiana for manslaughter. i had to sue a screening company b/c my bldg management wouldnt go to bat for me.

the services down here are pathetic. ive learned to trust no one, and take matters into my own hands.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 02-01-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
I hate Miami with a passion and your story just reinforces my experiences. I wish you far better luck in the future!!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
damn that helllla sucks all of that work I would be pissed!!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I hate Miami with a passion and your story just reinforces my experiences. I wish you far better luck in the future!!
thanks man. those occurances are all within the first month of moving here!

Miami is great - but the services are terrible. once i get settled with the apt, etc. im sure i wont run into as many difficulties. everyday experiences for a Miami resident shouldnt be as bad from here on out, or at least i keep telling myself that.