Home Automation

Old 12-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
I like the looks of this smartthings stuff. I am thinking about doing a quasi home monitoring system with it. My only gripe is that these accessories are DC voltage... this is annoying because who wants to have to hide transformer packs?
Is there one place that is better than the others to buy stuff? Seems like the best prices come direct from Smartthings because they have a coupon.

Here's a question about the programming. If I had an arrival sensor and some light switches, could I program it to turn the outside lights on when we arrive home? Could I go a step further to program it to only do that during night hours?
Old 12-15-2016, 08:44 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
Originally Posted by brian2
I like the looks of this smartthings stuff. I am thinking about doing a quasi home monitoring system with it. My only gripe is that these accessories are DC voltage... this is annoying because who wants to have to hide transformer packs?
Is there one place that is better than the others to buy stuff? Seems like the best prices come direct from Smartthings because they have a coupon.

Here's a question about the programming. If I had an arrival sensor and some light switches, could I program it to turn the outside lights on when we arrive home? Could I go a step further to program it to only do that during night hours?
You can program it to turn on your coffee maker when you turn on your bedroom lights between the hours of 6am and 9am if you should so desire. So to answer your question, yes you can do any and all of that without any issues.

Also, I'm pretty sure most of the things are battery powered and not plug ins.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:31 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
OK, my head is going to explode...

I currently have the ST monitoring the ZWave Yale lock. I also somehow managed to set it up so that I get an SMS when the secondary code is used. I think...

Here is where I am having trouble. I have a DLink DCS-934L currently set up with the DLink app to email me a picture every time it sees motion. Unfortunately, this is happening any time I move around inside the office. I don't want to over-complicate this with proximity sensors, etc. so what I want is to have an old cell phone near the door to the office with a button that I can use to enable/disable the motion capture on the camera. I will leave the cell/table turned on and stick it to the wall.

Anyone know if a way to do this? Do I need to use a better (supported) camera that the ST can access the motion sensor of the camera or is there some work around?
Old 12-15-2016, 03:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
Here is where I am having trouble. I have a DLink DCS-934L currently set up with the DLink app to email me a picture every time it sees motion. Unfortunately, this is happening any time I move around inside the office.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:25 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by svtmike
It's like a self imposed paparazzi....
Old 12-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Ex-OEM King

OK, my head is going to explode...

I currently have the ST monitoring the ZWave Yale lock. I also somehow managed to set it up so that I get an SMS when the secondary code is used. I think...

Here is where I am having trouble. I have a DLink DCS-934L currently set up with the DLink app to email me a picture every time it sees motion. Unfortunately, this is happening any time I move around inside the office. I don't want to over-complicate this with proximity sensors, etc. so what I want is to have an old cell phone near the door to the office with a button that I can use to enable/disable the motion capture on the camera. I will leave the cell/table turned on and stick it to the wall.

Anyone know if a way to do this? Do I need to use a better (supported) camera that the ST can access the motion sensor of the camera or is there some work around?
Why not set it up to only do pictures when the secondary code is used or if the door is locked?
Old 12-15-2016, 03:51 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Why not set it up to only do pictures when the secondary code is used or if the door is locked?
A. the door is set to lock behind me as I enter, so it's basically always locked... This way, I don't have to remember to re-lock it on the way out the door.
B. I need some way to know if someone kicks the door open, picks the tumbler, etc.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:02 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
We want pics ha

So you want to disable the motion activation when you're there, correct? You need to set your phone up to disable that when you arrive, just not sure how off the top of my head...
Old 12-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
We want pics ha

So you want to disable the motion activation when you're there, correct? You need to set your phone up to disable that when you arrive, just not sure how off the top of my head...
Correct, and truthfully it doesn't need to be a fancy automated thing like with bluetooth, etc... I am happy to have a tablet/cellphone at the doorway with the ST app/tiles running constantly and simply activate/deactivate it by pressing a button on the screen.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:58 PM
Safety Car

No?
https://shop.smartthings.com/product...arrival-sensor
Old 12-15-2016, 07:09 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Knowing I have arrived is not the issue. Changing the setting on the camera is the issue.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,664 Likes on 2,495 Posts
Correct, and truthfully it doesn't need to be a fancy automated thing like with bluetooth, etc... I am happy to have a tablet/cellphone at the doorway with the ST app/tiles running constantly and simply activate/deactivate it by pressing a button on the screen.
i don't even think you need to have a phone sitting around to do this. I think what you need is one of these. https://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-DSA03202W-ZWUS-White-AL001/dp/B007J26PIS. You can also get ones that are only two button I believe that clip to your keys.

You can use one of those remotes and program it to control anything you want inside smart things. You could setup a virtual switch within smart things that disables the motion detection on the camera when you activate the switch. Then link the switch to the one of the buttons on the remote. If you can't control the motion sensor in the camera you could have it turn the camera on and off via the remote button.

EDIT: Another way I thought of you might be able to do without messing with the motion sensor is to only have it send you pictures of motion when SmartThings is set to away and not home. You could use one button on that remote to set SmartThings to know you are home and another button to push to set it to away when you leave.

Last edited by CCColtsicehockey; 12-16-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:38 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

I can't seem to figure out how to have ST turn a device on or off... That would be fine, and is a great solution.

Honestly, the web interface and app are kind of confusing. I cna access any one connected item from five different screens, and each different way to access the item shows me something different.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:20 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

I haven't done much with this but I was suggesting you use your current, everyday cell phone as a presence sensor so when you walk in, it turns the cam off. To do the off part, you would need to enable your phone as a presence sensor and you would need a Smartapp, something like 'Turn It On' maybe? I haven't used it but in the app click marketplace, smart apps, presence & modes, then try that one.

Hate to suggest researching because it has sucked hours out of my life (like AZ) but the ST community has a TON of answers.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:57 PM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts
I'm not familiar with D-Link cameras but if there isn't a way to shut the camera off or disable notifications remotely I'm not sure that you'd be able to get it to work with smartthings. I could see you having the camera hooked up to a zwave/zibee outlet that powers on/off depending on what happens with the lock or is disabled with a proximity device/cell phone location. But if you are going to that effort maybe looking into a camera that has that stuff would be worth looking into?

We have a few Nest cameras and can set it up so we are only notified when our cellphones are out of the house. I'd love to see someone come out with facial recognition to only alert on unknown faces. That is what I'm hoping to see with the Nest eventually. When they came out with the outdoor Nest Cameras they also updated their software to recognize people vs plain ole movement. Of course Google owns Nest and also has great facial recognition with google photos, hopefully we'll see something like this in the future.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:22 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

I haven't done much with this but I was suggesting you use your current, everyday cell phone as a presence sensor so when you walk in, it turns the cam off. To do the off part, you would need to enable your phone as a presence sensor and you would need a Smartapp, something like 'Turn It On' maybe? I haven't used it but in the app click marketplace, smart apps, presence & modes, then try that one.

Hate to suggest researching because it has sucked hours out of my life (like AZ) but the ST community has a TON of answers.
I MUCH appreciate YOUR info, I am trying to "learn-up" on the system but am finding, like you, that it take a while to figure this all out. I kind of wish it were a bit simpler (device actions, vs hub actions, vs. action initiators vs. device handlers, etc.) but I will figure it out eventually.

Thanks tons for getting me pointed in the right direction!
Old 12-18-2016, 12:24 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by atomlinks
I'm not familiar with D-Link cameras but if there isn't a way to shut the camera off or disable notifications remotely I'm not sure that you'd be able to get it to work with smartthings. I could see you having the camera hooked up to a zwave/zibee outlet that powers on/off depending on what happens with the lock or is disabled with a proximity device/cell phone location. But if you are going to that effort maybe looking into a camera that has that stuff would be worth looking into?

We have a few Nest cameras and can set it up so we are only notified when our cellphones are out of the house. I'd love to see someone come out with facial recognition to only alert on unknown faces. That is what I'm hoping to see with the Nest eventually. When they came out with the outdoor Nest Cameras they also updated their software to recognize people vs plain ole movement. Of course Google owns Nest and also has great facial recognition with google photos, hopefully we'll see something like this in the future.
Good thought, I was leaning toward that (ST switch) as well, but then thought maybe there was an internal method like 1StGenCL had mentioned as possible.

it will take some playing to get it to work right, but I am sure I will get it eventually.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

I MUCH appreciate YOUR info, I am trying to "learn-up" on the system but am finding, like you, that it take a while to figure this all out. I kind of wish it were a bit simpler (device actions, vs hub actions, vs. action initiators vs. device handlers, etc.) but I will figure it out eventually.

Thanks tons for getting me pointed in the right direction!
Sorry, wish I had a more direct answer because I know it is possible, just so many variables. I thought this would be an easy thing to learn but to do beyond the basics, it takes some reading :-/ I keep meaning to look it up but house is owning me this weekend.
The following users liked this post:
stogie1020 (12-19-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 05:05 PM
Racer

There might be a way to disable motion sensor remotely with that camera. If so you might be able to set it up to disable when your cell phone is present. Here's a thread that might have some useful info.
https://community.smartthings.com/t/...etype/25592/26

I set up a window sensor on the garage door today with a 2x4 and a piece of aluminum flat bar. Works really well and triggers pretty fast. I have it set up to notifiy me if it opens during certain times, or if I leave the garage door open after a certain amount of time. I still am waiting on a good deal for some more sensors :-)
Everbilt 1/2 in. x 36 in. Aluminum Flat Bar-800217 - The Home Depot

stogie1020 (12-19-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 05:14 PM
Safety Car

I thought these looked pretty slick
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LW...236_SY340_QL65
Old 12-18-2016, 06:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by brian2
I thought these looked pretty slick
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LW...236_SY340_QL65
It's amazing they make a device that thin. The only downside I see is once the battery dies it sounds like its done. But if the battery really does last 10 years might be worth it just for the front door /back door where they are most noticeable.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:21 AM

Might have to get a pair of those for the two gates to my backyard. Would be nice to know they are always shut when not home.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Great thread, gentleman. I have plans for this technology in the future.

And if you have any questions about electric, like tying things into switches or whatever, let me know. I used to be a full-time Electrician and still do it on the side.
The following 3 users liked this post by Scottman111:
1StGenCL (12-19-2016), atomlinks (12-19-2016), CCColtsicehockey (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

@atomlinks - I have not used these but the slickdeals reviews are pretty good but you might want to search ST as well; $15 open/close, $20 liquid sensors, and a few more I believe Click Me

Strips look awesome, I drilled a recessed sensor into my gate and siliconed it in. While that was cheaper, those strips are pretty clean and Z Wave plus for extra battery life and range is a major plus.
atomlinks (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 02:37 PM

Those PEQ sensors appear to be zigabee is that correct? So far everything I have done is ZWave and what I have installed is fairly spread out over my entire first floor which means I should have a good Zwave network. I assume that starts all over if I switch to items using Zigbee means I need to build my entire network again for that.
atomlinks (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 02:45 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by Scottman111

And if you have any questions about electric, like tying things into switches or whatever, let me know. I used to be a full-time Electrician and still do it on the side.

Shocking...
Old 12-19-2016, 05:50 PM
Racer

@atomlinks - I have not used these but the slickdeals reviews are pretty good but you might want to search ST as well; $15 open/close, $20 liquid sensors, and a few more I believe Click Me
Thanks for the link. These do look like Zigbee sensors. Now I'm wondering what I should go with as I originally purchased the smartthings kit which has smartthings sensors and are zigbee devices. From what I've been reading zigbee is a more open tech while z-wave is proprietary. I'm guessing I could use both but it probably would be best to stick with one tech since these are mesh network and the network should only be stronger the more devices you add. If I mix and match I'd have two different mesh networks. Now which one to go with, the research continues... :-)
Old 12-19-2016, 05:51 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that and I've mixed a bit, due to great sales. To me, ZB has better range but that's just me.

As for the mesh, if you have a great Z wave, I would keep going!
Old 12-20-2016, 06:23 AM

My GE ZWave appliance plug showed up last night. I had read that they work better for Christmas lights than the dimmers do so went with it. Now my Christmas tree and mantle lights are automated. So much better than climbing behind the tree to plug them in.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:32 AM

Just found this explanation of both. ZigBee vs. Z-Wave Review: What?s the Best Option for You? - SafeWise I didn't really know much about Zigbee before honestly. Now I am wondering if I should start going with it instead of Zwave based on what is in that article. Sounds like in the long term you may be able to do more with it.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/...future/51235/3 This forum post talks a bit though about how Zigbee also is not as universal even though it is open source.

Last edited by CCColtsicehockey; 12-20-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:00 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Shocking...
Now I'll help anyone but this guy
stogie1020 (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 01:40 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Now I'll help anyone but this guy
Ohm My God...

Watt??? Don't get me all amped up over nothing...
Old 12-20-2016, 01:58 PM
Team Owner

On the side? Like, when you're not working as a Driving Instructor?
Old 12-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Team Owner

I used to be a full-time Electrician and still do it on the side.
Have you kept current?
Old 12-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Safety Car

On the side? Like, when you're not working as a Driving Instructor?
I picture him in his study in the middle of the night wiring receptacles while his wife is asleep
Old 12-20-2016, 02:16 PM
Ex-OEM King

Have you kept current?
He's been resisting it for a while, it has definitely impeded his progress for being inducted back into being an electrician.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:20 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Our work is done here.... Twas a good outlet for the puns, no?

Now I feel grounded.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Wow guys...

I don't have the capacity to continue on here...
Old 12-20-2016, 03:11 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Powerful stuff
Old 12-20-2016, 03:40 PM

Well that automated off task quickly

Quick Reply: Home Automation