Exterior House Paint...

Old 06-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Exterior House Paint...

Anyone got any recommendations ??

My step dad is missing the consumer reports issue where they covered house paints...

It's interesting that different brands get rated by them differently every year, but one thing has been consistant... Sherwin Williams as constantly fallen down the list... This was one brand (along w/ benjamin moore) that I was considering... I used SW woodscapes oil stain on my shed a couple of years ago, and it needs another coat already, so I don't think I'll be using SW on the house even tho' it's been recomemded to me by a friend.

I seem to remember that Walmart and Sears paint rated great in the consumer reports article (this year), but can't remember the specifics... I'm hesitant to buy paint from a discounter, but if they have decent paint at a decent price, I figure why not give it a try...

Anyone got a link to the CR article ??
Old 06-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
I don't have the issue handy, but hey rated by regions also.

So the best paint fot eh SW(TX) was different than the best rated for your location.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:58 AM
East Coast Boost.!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll check in the downstairs BR for the issue, do you know what issue it was or what is on the cover?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
CR Quick Recommendations Exterior paints

Paint or stain is only a small part of the cost of hiring a pro to repaint or restain your home. Save money by choosing a finish that will last at least nine years. The following products were best in our accelerated-aging tests.

All products in this report have been fully tested. A number of paints and stains still being tested show promise, but it's too early in the process to recommend them.

The Ratings rank products on overall performance. Quick Picks considers factors such as price and availability. Some brands are national, others regional.

Quick Picks

Best flat paint:
1 California $27
10 Glidden $15, CR Best Buy

California, available in more than 20 states, earned the highest score of any paints tested and can be expected to look good for many years. The Glidden is less expensive, but it didn't look quite as good as the California by the end of our testing.

Best if you want a glossier paint; both are CR Best Buys:
5 Glidden $20
6 Glidden $19

These products are the highest-ranking and lowest-priced low-luster and gloss paints. If you want a semigloss finish, Glidden Endurance would be best, though it's more expensive and not readily available.

exterior paints
1 California 5 Glidden
CR Best Buy

exterior paints
1 California 5 Glidden
CR Best Buy

Availability Most models at stores through December 2006.
Key numbers with a indicate Quick Picks.

Clickfor more information.

Excellent Very good Good Fair Poor
Within types, in performance order. Products with the same score are listed alphabetically.

Product
Price Overall score Appearance Resists
Product includes, in parentheses, our measurement of a paint's finish and a stain's formulation, which may differ from label designations.

Paints All are latex, which can be cleaned up with water.

1 California Fresh Coat Velvet (flat)
$27 90. • • •
2 Glidden Endurance (semigloss)
32 87. • • •
3 Pratt & Lambert Accolade Eggshell (flat)
34 87. • • •
4 Glidden Endurance Satin (low luster)
30 86. • • •
5 Glidden Spred-Dura (gloss) CR Best Buy
20 86. • • •
6 Glidden Spred-Dura Satin (low luster)
CR Best Buy
19 86. • • •
7 Sico Supreme (flat)
C35 83. •

8 Glidden Endurce (flat)
19 82. •

9 Pratt & Lambert Accolade (semigloss)
36 81. • • •
10 Glidden Spred-Dura (flat) CR Best Buy
15 78. • • •
11 Para Ultra Velvet (flat)
C34 76.

12 Dunn-Edwards Permashell Eggshell (low luster)
39 62.

13 Behr Premium Plus (low luster)
24 61.

14 Behr Premium Plus (semigloss)
25 59.

15 True Value Weatherall (flat)
20 59.

16 Valspar American Tradition Satin (low luster)
24 58.

17 Valspar American Tradition (semigloss)
25 58.

18 Sears Weatherbeater Ultra (flat)
24 56.

19 Benjamin Moore MoorGlo Soft Gloss (semigloss)
42 55.

20 Valspar American Tradition (flat)
22 55.

21 Benjamin Moore Moor Life (flat)
29 49.

22 Benjamin Moore MoorGard (low luster)
39 47.

23 McCloskey MultiUse (low luster)
15 23. -

24 True Value WeatherAll (semigloss)
23 23. -

25 Glidden Evermore (flat)
18 19. -

Buying advice Exterior paints
The best paint can improve your home's appearance and protect it from the weather for about nine years

While a fresh coat of paint on the siding and trim will give your house curb appeal, exterior paint isn't just for show. It provides an important layer of protection against moisture, mildew, and the effects of the sun.

WHAT'S AVAILABLE

Major brands include Ace, Behr (sold at Home Depot), Benjamin Moore, Dutch Boy, Glidden, Sears, Sherwin-Williams, True Value, and Valspar (sold at Lowe's). You'll also see many brands of paint sold regionally.

Exterior paints come in a variety of sheens. The dullest is flat, followed by low-luster (often called eggshell or satin), semigloss, and gloss. The flatter finishes are best for siding, with the lowest-sheen variety the best choice if you need to mask imperfections. Glossy paint is most often used for trim because it highlights the details of the woodwork and the paint is easy to clean. Price range: $15 to $40 a gallon.

HOW TO CHOOSE

Our tests of exterior paints are very severe, exposing painted panels on outdoor racks angled to catch the maximum amount of sun. One year of testing is approximately equal to three years of real-life exposure. Generally, most paints will look good for at least three years, and some should look good for about six. Most also do a good job of resisting the buildup of mildew and preventing the wood from cracking. To determine the best paint for your home, consider the following tips:

Buy the best. Our tests have found that the grade of paint matters. "Good" or "economy" grades don't weather as well as top-of-the-line products. Using a cheaper grade of paint means you'll spend more time and money in the long run because you'll need to repaint more often. "Contractor" grades of paint that we've tested in the past also tended to be mediocre.

Consider where you live. Paints of any color accumulate dirt over time. The top-rated paints tended to resist it better than the others; darker colors hide it better. Mildew can be a problem in damp areas, from rainy Seattle to steamy Tampa, or on any house that gets more shade than sun. Baking in bright sun can change even the best-quality pigments. Blues and yellows are the most likely to change.

Don't overlook the prep work. Be sure you scrape, sand, and clean the siding thoroughly before applying the paint. Good preparation makes any paint last longer. And plan to apply two coats.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:43 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
How old is this article?

I'm pretty sure laws on the additives in exterior paints were changed (at least in NY) for 2006. This would probably change the whole game.

I'm surprised to see Glidden do so well, I hate their interior paints. I've yet to do any painting outdoors.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Racer

I used the Behr water based solid stain on the shed I built last month, I wasn't too impressed with it. I have used Moore stain in the past and never had any problems.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Thriller

Originally Posted by soopa
How old is this article?

I'm pretty sure laws on the additives in exterior paints were changed (at least in NY) for 2006. This would probably change the whole game.

I'm surprised to see Glidden do so well, I hate their interior paints. I've yet to do any painting outdoors.
I'm pretty sure it was 2 or 3 issues ago. I was surprised at the Glidden results too when I was reading through it when it came out.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
glidden goes on too thin IMO..too much work. I've had good success with ralph lauren paint and behr.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroday
glidden goes on too thin IMO..too much work. I've had good success with ralph lauren paint and behr.

Behr is by far the worst paint ever made. DO NOT USE THAT CRAP!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
The walls I painted with it look great? What specifically makes it 'the worst paint ever made'...Someone tried them all?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
The walls I painted with it look great? What specifically makes it 'the worst paint ever made'...Someone tried them all?

As a matter of fact, I'd say I've tried 10 or so brands and Behr comes in dead last.

Stir a can of Behr and a can of Glidden. Behr is soooo watered down it's ridiculous. One coat coverage my ass.

Glidden is decent but Benjamin Moore and Pratt are great. My forearms are sore from stiring BM. It's thick. One coat and you're done.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Race Director

hmm you have me wondering if i'm confusing behr with glidden...its been about a year since i painted. i bougth all 3 and i know one paint i bought was really watered down...def wasnt the ralph lauren..
Old 06-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Race Director

just found this post of mine from last year...i did mix up behr with glidden.

Glidden is what most contractors use...it's cheaper than behr or ralph lauren but just as good IMO. I used Behr to paint one room in my house, RL in another, and Glidden in another. The Glidden looks the best. I think semi gloss may be a bit too shiny; satin finish will give you the stain/water resistance you need and looks good.

edit: i have zero experience with exterior paint so take this with a grain of salt.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...24&postcount=2
Old 06-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
How old is this article?

Original article is from September 2005.

Other paints that were not rated:
STILL UNDER TEST

California 2010 (flat)

• •

California 2010 (eggshell)

• •

California 2010 Satin (low luster)

• •

Glidden Evermore Satin (low luster)

Olympic Premium (semigloss)

• •

Cabot (low luster)

True Value WeatherAll Satin (low luster)

INITIALLY PROMISING

Ace Royal Shield (semigloss)

• • •

Ace Royal Shield (satin)

• • •

Ace Royal Shield (flat)

• • •

Behr Premium Plus (flat)

• • •

Dutch Boy Extreme Adhesion (satin)

• • •

Dutch Boy Extreme Adhesion (semigloss)

• • •

Kelly-Moore Acry-shield (flat)

• • •

Olympic Premium (flat)

• • •

Sherwin-Williams Exterior Duration (flat)

• • •

Sherwin-Williams Exterior Duration (satin)

• • •

This Old House (flat)

• • •

This Old House (satin)

• • •

This Old House (semigloss)

• • •

Olympic Premium (satin)

• • •
Old 06-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I won't buy behr... Glidden wasn't even on my radar, but BM was on the list...

edit: i have zero experience with exterior paint so take this with a grain of salt.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...24&postcount=2
Get out of my exterior paint thread

I'll let you know when I'm ready to paint the interior
Old 06-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Yeah, I won't buy behr... Glidden wasn't even on my radar, but BM was on the list...

Get out of my exterior paint thread

I'll let you know when I'm ready to paint the interior
sheez you try to give someone some totally inapplicable advice and look how they treat you
Old 06-13-2006, 08:12 AM
The Creator

As a matter of fact, I'd say I've tried 10 or so brands and Behr comes in dead last.

Stir a can of Behr and a can of Glidden. Behr is soooo watered down it's ridiculous. One coat coverage my ass.

Glidden is decent but Benjamin Moore and Pratt are great. My forearms are sore from stiring BM. It's thick. One coat and you're done.
Both Behr & Glidden are worthless, IMO.

Home Depot has shitty paint in general.

Lowes has some OK stuff, American Standard (I think it's called) is OK. Even Olympic is better than what Home Depot sells.

In either case, I go to Sherwin Williams. I love their paints. Especially their washable Duration Home stuff... looks awesome, covers awesome, and cleans up awesome.

I'm really surprised to see them do so poorly in these exterior results.

Either exterior paints really are just a whole other ball game... or... like most Consumer Reports crap... they're absolutely bullshit.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

sheez you try to give someone some totally inapplicable advice and look how they treat you
Sorry I hurt your feelings babycakes

You comments are always appreciated... (I did use smilies in my post)...
Old 06-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Race Director

Sorry I hurt your feelings babycakes

You comments are always appreciated... (I did use smilies in my post)...
LOL i didn't use smilees but i assumed you would know i was kidding.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

In either case, I go to Sherwin Williams. I love their paints. Especially their washable Duration Home stuff... looks awesome, covers awesome, and cleans up awesome.

Either exterior paints really are just a whole other ball game... or... like most Consumer Reports crap... they're absolutely bullshit.

Honestly, I was just going to buy the Sherwin Williams stuff (superpaint, I think), but figured I'd ask here (and IRL) for other recommendations...

CR is good for some stuff (info wise), but I've never put much faith in their rankings...

There's just so many choices out there for paint nowadays...
Old 06-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Both Behr & Glidden are worthless, IMO.

Lowes has some OK stuff, American Standard (I think it's called) is OK. Even Olympic is better than what Home Depot sells.

I'm really surprised to see them do so poorly in these exterior results.

WOW! That is what makes these forums so great - I was just about to type how I think the worst paint was Sherwin Williams!! I used it once or twice and both times it would not stay mixed in the can - I even took it back to store to have them re-shake it right before I used it. As I rolled it onto the walls - you could still see parts of the individual paint colors coming through - reds and blues etc. Maybe I just had bad luck - or a crap can(s). Now I go with BM and most recently had a real nice result from RL.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

LOL i didn't use smilees but i assumed you would know i was kidding.
Yes... but implying that you're a pussy w/ hurt feelings was more fun
Old 06-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I agree. I painted a few rooms with it in my house and it sucks. wasnt a very good 1 coat coverage paint (over white walls) and it scrapes off easy. I used ralph lauren on some other walls and it went on SOOO much nicer, and is very durrable

I painted the outside of my house like 7 years ago with sears paint and its holding up great
Old 06-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Now I go with BM and most recently had a real nice result from RL.
I guess everyone has their favorite paint...

I should just go out and buy some Dutch Boy (like the retired guy next door uses) :killer:
Old 06-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Race Director

Yes... but implying that you're a pussy w/ hurt feelings was more fun
Old 06-13-2006, 12:12 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Hmmm, I was in a bind lat Saturday night. I needed some primer and trim paint foir the basement so I could paint Sunday. Since Wal-Mart was the only store open I opted for CIL over the Glidden. Looks like I made a mistake. Not happy with the CIL.

And GM just go with BM, you can't go wrong. Do you guys have Para Paints up there? Love the stuff.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:32 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by TBone2004
WOW! That is what makes these forums so great - I was just about to type how I think the worst paint was Sherwin Williams!! I used it once or twice and both times it would not stay mixed in the can - I even took it back to store to have them re-shake it right before I used it. As I rolled it onto the walls - you could still see parts of the individual paint colors coming through - reds and blues etc. Maybe I just had bad luck - or a crap can(s). Now I go with BM and most recently had a real nice result from RL.
Which of their paints did you use? They offer several different lines.

Their premium stuff is dope, but you pay for it.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sherwin Williams Super Paint Exterior Latex is a very good choice.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which of their paints did you use? They offer several different lines.

Their premium stuff is dope, but you pay for it.
Exactly, SW has a contractor grade paint that is pure shit. Their Super Paint line and above are much better however.

The better SW paint is $40-45/gal and up retail, but you get what you pay for.