Bought an used mattress from a friend. How to clean/treat it?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Bought an used mattress from a friend. How to clean/treat it?

Just bought a California King sized mattress from one of my friends.

It looks pretty clean from outside, but I would like to clean with some sort of products..

What should I get? Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Lysol.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
fabreeeeeze or oust. or ^
Old 06-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
killitwithfire:
Old 06-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Maybe use a steam cleaner?

You could iron it and just keep hitting the steam burst thing...

If you have one of those hand held steamers that might be best.

Also, if you don't already have one, consider a mattress cover between the mattress and the sheet.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Check all corners and crevices for bed bugs...and I'm not kidding. Although if you had em, I'd say he ain't much of a friend.
Other than that...I'd leave it out in the sun for a day or two...spray it down with lysol and whatnot, or maybe dilute some white vinegar and water and spray it down and let it dry in the sun. That should kill most things on it.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Old 06-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Old 06-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i'd also let it bake in the sun for a few hours... just make sure it isn't a humid day...
Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 AM
I drive a Subata.

Anyways, already febreezed the whole day yesterday. I'm planning to get a can of Lysol on the way back home today. I'll do that tomorrow and put it under sun for a day or two. Hope that pretty much cleans whatever is under there, if there's anything.

My gf bought it from her close friend who goes to ucla dental school.. She's now done, and she's moving to Seattle, so she wanted to just sell it for cheap. We decided to just get it and paid 80 bucks plus 70 bucks for trucking. It came with the box springs and under frame too.

Thank you guys for the advice!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:59 PM

great price...if she's hot, maybe don't clean it at all
Old 06-06-2011, 01:06 PM
I drive a Subata.

Really!?

I thought the opposite would have been cleaner....

If she's hot, then she probably would have been...

nevermind.

and no she's not hot at all.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:44 PM

ha ha...meaning, if she's hot, there's probably a lot more you're trying to clean off that thing than we originally thought!
Anyway, at that price, can't go wrong, especially if it was a quality mattress.
The following users liked this post:
JS + XES (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 02:10 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
If you're spraying that many chemicals directly into your mattress, be careful to air dry it out REALLY well.....remember, your face and skin will be against those chemicals and you'll be breathing them in all night!

Water+Vinegar (+ Tea Tree Oil, if you want) is a natural spray...

You should probably also vacuum the mattress to get rid of dust mites and dead skin cells, unless this is a foam mattress (dust mites can't live in foam). A lot of vacs have a mattress attachment.

Put a mattress cover on anyway...after you've aired it all out really well. There are mattress pads, which will act as another layer between you and the fitted sheet, and there are mattress covers, which usually zip closed and are meant to fully protect the mattress against things like moisture (and usually breathability).

Just a reminder though that if you've gone to any hotel, you've probably slept on A LOT worse than you want to know about....so you're probably doing alright. Still, I'd feel a little at the thought of a used mattress. Guess it helps a little if you know the person and how long they've had it, how clean they are vs. getting one that could've been from a crack house.
JS + XES (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 02:37 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Used mattress....

You will never get it "clean" it's impossible..."everything" you want out of it is "inside" the mattress where you cannot get at it.

Sure one sleeps on "others" mattress(s) on occasion when going to a hotel......but not every night as if you owned. it.

Maybe it's a mental thing, but I don't think I could buy a used mattress.
....and I'm all for getting a good deal, buying used....etc....but a mattress is where I draw a line.....but that's just me.
JS + XES (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Used mattress....

You will never get it "clean" it's impossible..."everything" you want out of it is "inside" the mattress where you cannot get at it.

Sure one sleeps on "others" mattress(s) on occasion when going to a hotel......but not every night as if you owned. it.

Maybe it's a mental thing, but I don't think I could buy a used mattress.
....and I'm all for getting a good deal, buying used....etc....but a mattress is where I draw a line.....but that's just me.
Like I said in the previous posts, if it was used by a person who I or my gf didn't know, I wouldn't have bought one. And money was not a factor on this purchase.

We are getting married next summer, that's when we want to spend some good chunk of money to get a new one.

I really don't think it's that bad. And we are keeping the one that we've been using, so we are going to try to just "clean" it as much as possible all week and start using it from the weekend.

But it's not like I don't understand you. Everyone is different, and I respect that.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
If you're spraying that many chemicals directly into your mattress, be careful to air dry it out REALLY well.....remember, your face and skin will be against those chemicals and you'll be breathing them in all night!

Water+Vinegar (+ Tea Tree Oil, if you want) is a natural spray...

You should probably also vacuum the mattress to get rid of dust mites and dead skin cells, unless this is a foam mattress (dust mites can't live in foam). A lot of vacs have a mattress attachment.

Put a mattress cover on anyway...after you've aired it all out really well. There are mattress pads, which will act as another layer between you and the fitted sheet, and there are mattress covers, which usually zip closed and are meant to fully protect the mattress against things like moisture (and usually breathability).

Just a reminder though that if you've gone to any hotel, you've probably slept on A LOT worse than you want to know about....so you're probably doing alright. Still, I'd feel a little at the thought of a used mattress. Guess it helps a little if you know the person and how long they've had it, how clean they are vs. getting one that could've been from a crack house.
Yeah, we are still using the one that we've been using, so for this week, we are probably going to just spray the crap, let it dry completely under the sun.

And yes, we are getting a mattress cover for it, the one with those little padding.

Forgot about vacuuming the thing. I'll make sure to do that! Thanks alot.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:01 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

From the "or your mattress is FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!" guy
(SoCal peeps know him)

Chances are your old mattress is infested with some very tiny, hungry roommates. dust mites.

Millions of dust mites can live in a single mattress and why wouldn’t they? A mattress provides dust mites with a warm and inviting environment in which to sleep and make baby dust mites. Plus, the dead skin cells that accumulate inside of your mattress and pillows provide plenty for these little guys to nibble on. Now, although they are creepy little characters, dust mites aren’t you biggest problem you encounter sleeping on an old mattress.

Dust mite droppings can wreck havoc on your allergies. Allergic reactions to dust mites not only make it difficult for you to sleep through the night, but they can really screw up your productivity at work the next day. Many people who get new mattresses feel instant relief from their coughing, congestion and sneezing after just one night on a new, clean sleep surface.

If your mattress is over eight years old and you are looking to replace it, we don’t recommend that you purchase a used mattress from a stranger you met online. Besides the aforementioned dust mites and poor support problems, older mattresses have absorbed pounds upon pounds body oils from their previous owner, most likely leaving it with an unpleasant odor. Mattresses are like giant sponges. Whatever bodily fluids, foods and beverages that have spilled on the mattress over the years are most likely still lurking inside its coils and padding.

http://youtu.be/mfzVYSxO0sk

http://youtu.be/WmaGxSrBxjY
Old 06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I drive a Subata.

dude can you get the fuck out?

did you read my post?

you do get pretty annoying every now and then. always so fucking negative on everything
Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Don't get your panties in a bunch.

...just telling you there is no such thing as a clean mattress...and you can't get them to become "clean".

If you can't handle things that are contrary to what you want to hear....don't start a thread.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:35 PM
I drive a Subata.

What was the question in the OP?

Any suggestion on how to clean/treat an used mattress?

Do you not get that simple question? Others told me to lysol, febreeze, and other useful stuff, which is exactly what I was looking for when I made this thread.

I knew some people were going to say, "I would never buy an used mattresses" or something like that. I totally understand that.

And, did I say "I bought an used mattress, how should I treat this to make it look like brand new again?"

It's not like I can't handle your dumb ass posts, I just don't get why you are always so fucking negative on everything.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:38 PM
I drive a Subata.

And I would have understood your post #18, if I made a thread asking "should I get an used mattress from strangers???"

But I wasn't. I did already explain why I bought this. I was just asking for a suggestion on how to clean this.

If you get an used car, wouldn't you want to detail it?

Last edited by JS + XES; 06-06-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Old 06-06-2011, 05:48 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
What was the question in the OP?

Any suggestion on how to clean/treat an used mattress?

Do you not get that simple question? Others told me to lysol, febreeze, and other useful stuff, which is exactly what I was looking for when I made this thread.

I knew some people were going to say, "I would never buy an used mattresses" or something like that. I totally understand that.

And, did I say "I bought an used mattress, how should I treat this to make it look like brand new again?"

It's not like I can't handle your dumb ass posts, I just don't get why you are always so fucking negative on everything.
Taking things a tad to personal, eh?

Whatever floats your boat.

You asked how to get it "clean"...I'm saying that you can't. It will always be dirty.....all used mattresses are dirty....the inside is where the "dirt" is. You cannot get to it.

...but hey, if you want to keep getting offended from information...have at it.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

In car terms: you can clean the outside of the engine and it will look fantastic....but if the internals are a mess, it will not perform well regardless of how clean the outside is.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM

My initial inkling was not wanting a used mattress either...
but then I remember getting a handmedown mattress from my stepdad...and knowing all the things that went down on it (so to speak) before me getting it was a lot worse.

This is an ugly dental student...she wasn't getting laid much on it, and she takes hygiene seriously. For $150 for a relatively unused mattress. I'd say go for it. Other than our own germs...the stuff we are trying to get rid of, probably live in ALL our mattresses anyway, whether you're a clean person or not. So no harm no foul...you sleep/fart/f*ck on it for a week...it's now YOUR mattress. My opinion, of course.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I drive a Subata.

I'm not getting offended by the fact that its dirty inside.

I bought the thing knowing that its an "used" one. I know it's not brand new. So I just want to clean/treat it because it'll make me feel better and why not really????? Should I not clean it at all because it's probably dirty inside?

Other members seem like they know what I'm trying to ask, but you are obviously not getting it or maybe you are just playing a dick on every thread. I don't know. It's weird.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
My initial inkling was not wanting a used mattress either...
but then I remember getting a handmedown mattress from my stepdad...and knowing all the things that went down on it (so to speak) before me getting it was a lot worse.

This is an ugly dental student...she wasn't getting laid much on it, and she takes hygiene seriously. For $150 for a relatively unused mattress. I'd say go for it. Other than our own germs...the stuff we are trying to get rid of, probably live in ALL our mattresses anyway, whether you're a clean person or not. So no harm no foul...you sleep/fart/f*ck on it for a week...it's now YOUR mattress. My opinion, of course.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:12 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I'm not getting offended by the fact that its dirty inside.

I bought the thing knowing that its an "used" one. I know it's not brand new. So I just want to clean/treat it because it'll make me feel better and why not really????? Should I not clean it at all because it's probably dirty inside?

Other members seem like they know what I'm trying to ask, but you are obviously not getting it or maybe you are just playing a dick on every thread. I don't know. It's weird.
I got no qualms....I think you are taking the used mattress thing waaaaaay to personal.

We all know you bought a used one.....many people stated their opinions on whether or not they would by used....some with just a .....some stated spraying them with lysol or scent freshener or vacuuming them.

Nobody has an issue with you "cleaning" it to make you "feel" better.
That's all well and good.

I don't understand how you got all bent out of shape when I said that they can never really be "cleaned" because of all the "junk" on the inside.
I posted a quote and some vids....for info....assuming perhaps you did not know. Apparently you did....and you got bent.

I dunno.

G'luck with your mattress.

Peace in the East.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:15 PM
I drive a Subata.

Okay ma'am.

I'm happy that everyone expressed their opinions. You are the only one who's being a jack ass in this thread. That's what I don't understand about.

But who cares right?

Go play a dick in every thread.

Last edited by JS + XES; 06-06-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:17 PM

Veterans...
Always end in peace. If you had been 2 noobs there would have been some "yo momma" jokes and namecalling ultimately bannings.

Gotta love it.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

JS, so what you are saying is you like your mattresses like you like your women...

Clean on the outside but kinda dirty on the inside?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
To be totally honest, I'd probably rather sleep on the mattress (knowing who it came from) than spray the hell out of it with chemicals and cleaners like Lysol and Febreeze.

Whenever I go to the cottage (lake house) or stay at a friend's house, I'm sleeping on a mattress that others have slept on. I don't spray it down beforehand. I know they wash the sheets after every visitor (yes, that could mean washing it every 2 days, if that's the length of your stay) and I'm good with that.

I hate sleeping in hotels....that thought grosses me out way more than sleeping at someone's house on a mattress that isn't mine.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Okay ma'am.

I'm happy that everyone expressed their opinions. You are the only one who's being a jack ass in this thread. That's what I don't understand about.

But who cares right?

Go play a dick in every thread.
Lose your thin skin.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by stogie1020
JS, so what you are saying is you like your mattresses like you like your women...

Innocenton the outside but kinda dirty on the inside?

Fixed

j/k
Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Lose your thin skin.
no thanks