Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

A question for the folliclely challenged...

Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapture
I'm not at all worried about going bald so much as I'm worried about going bald before the "typical age." I don't want to be 27 and having to fight back a receding hairline.
Try being 19-20 when it starts! Sucks!

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Propecia - less then 3 percent of men experience sexual sides and after three months of discontinuation, they are fine. Yes, there is a suit still going I believe where the guy had it bad and wanted to commit suicide or something but in cases like this, there are much bigger issues usually.

As for rogaine and greasy, someone said they changed their foam to kill the greasiness a bit ago but I really don't know. I do know that my hair feels exactly the same after it drys (and it drys quickly). Yes, you have to do it twice a day but it literally takes 30 seconds and becomes part of your routine.

Just my
True, those side effects are minimal, but if there is even a slight chance of impotence then it is not worth it to me. 3/100 are not slim enough chances for me to risk my boners for some peach fuzz.

I've used both types of Rogaine and the foam is definitely easier to use! I never saw results from using this, so I'm definitely a bit biased. I realize full well that many men do see noticeable results from use - particularly combined use of Rogaine and Propecia. If anyone IS thinking about trying these things - my only advice it to start ASAP. While they may not be great at regrowing hair, they'll at least delay your membership into the no hair club for men a while longer!

You can still join the club some day:
Old 01-18-2013, 02:51 PM
TXSTATE BOBCATS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been dealing with it for a few years. I'm 26 and I have been having a receding hairline for about 3 years now.

I tried propecia for about 9 months. It did stop the receding and started to grow new hair but the side effects were completely not worth it. I stopped about a year ago. Obviously, drugs will have different effects on different people so I am not saying that my experience is normal, but propecia almost ruined my life. Seriously.

I basically lost all libido. That is a weird feeling, especially considering I was in a relationship. The funny thing is because it is such a gradual loss, you dont really realize it until you almost hit rock bottom. I thought it was just because my gf and I were growing apart from each other. And we actually were, but it was because we stopped being physical. A year has passed since I stopped taking propecia, and just now is my life and sexual libido getting back to normal because of the drug. At least my gf was a good enough person to stick with me through the rough patch. Its a strange/embarrassing/shameful feeling going from wanting sex multiple times a day to forcing it once every other month.

I have done a lot of research on it, and I do not buy the reports that it only affects around 3 percent of men who take it. Nobody questioned the reports for the longest time because it is an embarrassing subject and something that goes straight to the core of what it is to be a man. But people are finally starting to talk about it on sites like hairlosstalk.com, and it seems like there are a whole lot more than just a few people experiencing severe negative side effects. It is starting to become banned in other countries and propecia was just ordered to put more disclaimers on the bottle about possible negative side effects. Additionally, they are also seeing a lot more lawsuits recently because this thing is probably bigger than people expect. Remember, they truly dont know everything about the drug when it comes to changing your hormones and the long term effects on it. It is still a relatively new drug and it originally was made for decreasing enlarged prostates. They just so happened to notice it also grew hair and so they also started to prescribe it hair loss. Propecia is Proscar... just in a smaller dose.

Sorry for the long rant, I just think everyone should be informed before making the choice for themselves. The side effects can be life changing and sometimes permanent. There are many people worse off than I was. I also think the side effects are more common than the drug companies would like to admit, because it would hurt sales.

Just be careful about anything the changes the natural balance of your hormones/testosterone because testosterone controls more about your body than you think it does. Energy, focus, assertiveness, aggression, libido as well as many other manly traits are effected by testosterone.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
To me, just the idea of having to take a pill every single day for the rest of your life (or at least until you decide it's okay to let yourself go bald) is reason enough to stay away from it. I think for the time being I'll just see what's out there as far as shampoos and scalp treatments. Delaying the recession is good enough for me.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Sorry to hear that lancer but glad it is getting better. All drugs have down sides and unfortunately, sexual sides are pretty common with a lot of them. Anti-depressants are huge libido killers (some believed to affect 40% of people's libido) but yet millions of people are on them and some even choose to just deal with it in exchange for feeling better in other aspects of life.

Not trying to downplay your situation because it is terrible but even if the numbers of sexual dys of Finasteride are higher then once believed, they are still extremely low.

Originally Posted by Rapture
To me, just the idea of having to take a pill every single day for the rest of your life (or at least until you decide it's okay to let yourself go bald) is reason enough to stay away from it. I think for the time being I'll just see what's out there as far as shampoos and scalp treatments. Delaying the recession is good enough for me.
There is really nothing that will delay it minus drugs or something like rogaine. Shampoos are all over the board but for the most part, have been shown to do very little.

As for taking a pill everyday, I wasn't a fan but it has become habit now and like it or not, at some point you will be taking a pill everyday (most likely for blood pressure).