Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

People I hate at the gym

Old 03-11-2006, 02:32 AM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dark inspire
i find it annoying when people just sit and stare at you while you are working a set. I mean i don't mind observing here n there, but this one guy yesterday just wouldnt quit!
To elaborate, I hate the guys that ask how many sets you have left, and sit there and watch you finish. I usually take longer if they watch.

It's like taking a piss: "I can't go if you're watching "
Old 03-11-2006, 02:44 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,786 Likes on 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
To elaborate, I hate the guys that ask how many sets you have left, and sit there and watch you finish. I usually take longer if they watch.

It's like taking a piss: "I can't go if you're watching "
...that's annoying, but to me it's worst when they just stand there... don't ask or say anything... but they think they can use some kind of... none verbal-indirect way of letting you know that they want "in"... I would rather be asked how many more sets I have... but if they don't ask... and just stand there and wait... I'll just keep doing what I was doing.. and totally ignore them...
Old 03-11-2006, 03:20 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
With a partner I tend to not bring the ipod out...but if we do...we usually pull one of the ear pieces out so we have a semblance or normal volume.
Yea
I am always afraid I might look off or not pay attention and he start asking me to help and I dont hear him.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:45 AM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
naw mang, open gym to students, no dress code.

So on top of the popped up collar polo shirt guy, there's the asian guys that come in with boots and jeans, the guys that show up in medical scrubs <--- although commendable, cause I don't see these people as anything less than hardworkers, I still find it gross if they're being splashed by blood and other assorted fluids, then coming and sharing a bench w/ me ((just realized this)); and other assorted characters including the ill fitted under armour wearers.

ahh i got you, our gym, or Activities and Recreation Center, on campus has a pretty strict dress code from what i know. no jeans or any sort of "street wear"
Old 03-11-2006, 12:26 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Originally Posted by dark inspire
ahh i got you, our gym, or Activities and Recreation Center, on campus has a pretty strict dress code from what i know. no jeans or any sort of "street wear"
yeah mine too, I am suprised any gym lets people where whatever they want I thought it was in the insurance/common sense contract.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:17 PM
I shoot people

...I remember a long time ago... I think it was at Bally's, one of their dress codes was that you had to wear shirts where your arm pits are NOT exposed... I can see their point but... that kinda sucks too, cause that meant you couldn't wear tank tops or muscle shirts... but I remember the 2 days I worked there I don't remember seeing any employees inforcing the rule either... I'm pretty sure they don't have that rule anymore...
Old 03-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Not Asian

The guys that lift like they are on coke. They do 10 reps in about 3 seconds. Apparently, it's a race.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:31 AM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by JJ4Short
yeah mine too, I am suprised any gym lets people where whatever they want I thought it was in the insurance/common sense contract.
I guess the only general rule is no sandals in the weight lifting area.

taht I would imagine is just straight common sense though.

Anyone that walks into the weightlifting room and starts lifting w/ sandals and jeans on deserves to get a nice 100lbs. dumbell THROWN onto their foot imo.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Here's one that I don't necessarily hate but do find annoying: the people who drape their torso across the top of the elliptical machine or stair climber.

Is there a reason why these people cant stand straight? Time to decrease the resistance or get off the machine if you can no longer stay upright.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:18 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Here's one that I don't necessarily hate but do find annoying: the people who drape their torso across the top of the elliptical machine or stair climber.

Is there a reason why these people cant stand straight? Time to decrease the resistance or get off the machine if you can no longer stay upright.
I always figured that was bad form anyway. Let them mess themselves up.

Oh, and I can't stand the people who give advice... especially when they themselves are far from being qualified.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:27 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone that walks into the weightlifting room and starts lifting w/ sandals and jeans on deserves to get a nice 100lbs. dumbell THROWN onto their foot imo.
I agree that sandals shouldn't be worn due to stabilty issue, but seriously do you think that a pair of sneakers are going to save your foot from a 100lb dumbell Only thing thats gonna help is wearing steel toe boots and that just brings up another group of people

The other day I was in a cardio room and there was a guy on a treadmill that looked like he just came from the construction site. Tshirt, dirty / paint covered jeans, and work boots
Old 03-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
I hate people who don't wear headphones at the gym. I sometimes have to fart, and I dont want them hearing.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:49 PM
giggity giggity giggity

Oh, and I can't stand the people who give advice... especially when they themselves are far from being qualified.
I don't mind advice from guys who I know or guys who point out some things I didn't realize. I DO hate the fact that some unqualified people give advice. I was doing a shoulder press with a barbell behind my head...really hitting the delts. Some high school kid comes over and says I'm going to hurt my neck, even though it is almost vertical, AND someone else was doing the same thing on another bench. Just because I am not huge doesn't mean I haven't been lifting, researching, and am a moron.

Oh, and about the construction guys...they always come in wearing athletic clothing (tank top/sleeveless, athletic pants) and construction boots?! I don't understand...to me, it's not something I would be showing/bragging about.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Drifting

guys in the locker room who put their belongings in lockers without putting a lock on it.

hogging up all the lockers... plus you just might get your shit stolen someday. bring a damn lock
Old 03-17-2006, 02:10 AM
I shoot people

okay, so last night I was at a 24 Hour Fitness... one of the drinking fountains is off to the corner... and anyone headed that way is most likely is going to get a drink... anyway, I'm making my way over there... and I see this guy... heading there too from a different angle... we're both about the same distance... (from the drinking fountain) when I noticed he sped up to beat me there... fine whatever, I'm thinking... "what are you? ....in 6th grade?" so... what pissed me off was what happened next... he didn't bend over to get a sip of water... but proceeded to fill his water bottle!!?? It was like one of those one liter size... That's just plain rude! I wanted to pimp slap his head from behind... it's not like he didn't know I was headin' there... He could've just have the common courtesy and just let me get a sip first...
then of course... by the time I get back to the multi cable station... where my tricep rope was... (well, not mine, but the setup was mine...) someone had taken the rope... I had my towel AND my jacket hanging next to it... it's obvious somone (ME!) was using it!! FVCKIN' PEOPLE, I swear...

...by I have to admit... when I get pissed... I usually end up getting a really good workout (my triceps are freakin' swore today!)
Old 03-17-2006, 02:55 AM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by spdy0001
I agree that sandals shouldn't be worn due to stabilty issue, but seriously do you think that a pair of sneakers are going to save your foot from a 100lb dumbell Only thing thats gonna help is wearing steel toe boots and that just brings up another group of people

The other day I was in a cardio room and there was a guy on a treadmill that looked like he just came from the construction site. Tshirt, dirty / paint covered jeans, and work boots
I guess I'm not concerned about the welfare of the feet as I am about the general attitude of wearing sandals to a gym. If someone's that dense, I suppose their stupidity is what's really pissing me off. I have nothing against sandals I swear.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by is300eater
then of course... by the time I get back to the multi cable station... where my tricep rope was... (well, not mine, but the setup was mine...) someone had taken the rope... I had my towel AND my jacket hanging next to it... it's obvious somone (ME!) was using it!! FVCKIN' PEOPLE, I swear...
That's freakin 24 hour for you, rude ass people that can't use common sense to see someone is probably using it.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Pink Domo

I don't know if this was posted before, but at my 24 Hr. Fitness, there is one lady who works out freaking barefoot on the ellipticals and treadmills. One day, she's gonna lose a toe in a mechanical part and sue the gym or contract something nasty.

Last Sunday, I saw one lady working out in platform flip-flops and another one wearing her Sunday-best suit pedaling the stationary bike in her stockinged-feet. At least the lady who works out in a flowered sundress didn't show up that day...sheesh.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Drifting

he didn't bend over to get a sip of water... but proceeded to fill his water bottle!!?? It was like one of those one liter size...

damn that's annoying. I hate waiting behind the 1 gallon water bottle filling guy. If you're gonna fill up, have the courtesy to let the guy behind you take his quick sip first.

another things thats not really annoying, but kinda wierd: the guy who's all over the gym. I first see this guy in the machine section, doing rows. Does one set, jumps to another machine. Goes over to the bench, does a quick set of presses.

Walks around a little, then abruptly sits down on the bicep machine, sticks the pin on some random low weight and goes at it. Then walks over to the dumbell rack, picks up a huge amount (like 90 pounders) and cranks out some shoulder presses.

One set, almost every machine/exercise in the whole gym. Guy is pretty big too (pressing 90s). Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:15 AM
I shoot people

...so last week, I posted the incident where the guy speeds up to beat me to the water fountain, right? anyway, tonight I went back to that same 24 Hout Fitness again... for some reason I get really good chest/shoulder workouts there... (I rotate around between different gyms... certain ones I like for different body parts...)

...anyway, I was between sets... and I wanted to check out some NBA scores on one of the TV's by the cardio area... so, as I was proceeding towards one of the TV's... there just happen to be an open treadmill in front of it... I wasn't even going for the treadmill... but I could've... anyway, this lady... like... the guy that sped up his pace to beat me to the water fountain... sped up to beat me to the treadmill as if I was going there... LOL.... OMFG, grow the fuck up people!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 01:22 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by manda
I don't know if this was posted before, but at my 24 Hr. Fitness, there is one lady who works out freaking barefoot on the ellipticals and treadmills. One day, she's gonna lose a toe in a mechanical part and sue the gym or contract something nasty.

Last Sunday, I saw one lady working out in platform flip-flops and another one wearing her Sunday-best suit pedaling the stationary bike in her stockinged-feet. At least the lady who works out in a flowered sundress didn't show up that day...sheesh.
...not that it should matter to you... but that's just poor management on behalf of the gym... cause both being bare foot or wearing flip flops violates the gym policy... and if the people that insure 24 Hour Fitness found out... they'll have a field day with them...
Old 03-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Cosmic Cowboy

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
OK..........I got a new one, not hating but definitely different!
Been going to my gym for about 15 years now.....had this one female there for about 2 or 3 years always wore these wild outfits for the attention, well she disappears for about 3 or four years.........comes back as a man not your ordinary looking man but one weird looking MFer. In the man's locker room and everything. Now I'm curious to look kinda close at " things " but don't have the balls( ooops........). A few of us have noticed her(him) but so it goes.

I mean really looks like a woman with a fucked up shape and facial hair
Old 03-30-2006, 11:41 PM
giggity giggity giggity

Originally Posted by g1underground
Been going to my gym for about 15 years now.....had this one female there for about 2 or 3 years always wore these wild outfits for the attention, well she disappears for about 3 or four years.........comes back as a man not your ordinary looking man but one weird looking MFer. In the man's locker room and everything. Now I'm curious to look kinda close at " things " but don't have the balls( ooops........). A few of us have noticed her(him) but so it goes.

Wow, I don't know what I would do. That's some messed up stuff right there. I don't think I would be able to go into the locker room.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by g1underground

too funny!!!
I just cant stand people who stink in the gym. i know i know you are in the gym you are going to sweat, but man atleast put some deo to cover it up
Old 05-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Today I came across one of the creepiest of the weirdos who loiter around the men's locker room. When I got to the gym the guy was wandering around the locker room butt naked with a towel over his shoulder trying to make conversation with other people. I spent 65 minutes on the elliptical machine and return to the locker room to see the same guy, except now he is sitting on the bench butt naked directly across my locker and reading the newspaper. And of all things, the creep has the nerve to do the "cough" "cough" routine acting as if he's annoyed at me. I go to the shower, get back, and the fucker hasn't budged but he does more of the "cough, cough." And all this time the guy is still reading the newspaper while sitting on the bench directly in front of my locker completely undressed. I felt like knocking his teeth out.

The worst thing of all is that I don't think the guy ever set foot in the gym. I think he was just sitting in the locker room butt naked reading the newspaper for more than an hour.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:36 AM
I shoot people

ah yes, the creepy, naked guy in the locker room... I think every gym has (at least) one...

...but I thought of another pet peeve tonight...

I hate how some guys that... when it comes to working out... their mentality is... there's bench press and then everything else... They come in the gym... and the first thing they do is head for the bench press... They base everything around it... The first thing they talk about when the subject of working out comes up is: "....so, how much do you bench press?" kinda like when guys think they know cars, and base everything on 0-60
Old 05-29-2006, 01:43 PM
That's Racist

I hate how some guys that... when it comes to working out... their mentality is... there's bench press and then everything else... They come in the gym... and the first thing they do is head for the bench press... They base everything around it... The first thing they talk about when the subject of working out comes up is: "....so, how much do you bench press?" kinda like when guys think they know cars, and base everything on 0-60
I can't agree more. Keep on preaching.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Racer

"....so, how much do you bench press?" kinda like when guys think they know cars, and base everything on 0-60
So.......how much can yah bench press???
Old 05-31-2006, 11:16 PM
Got a Job!

ah yes, the creepy, naked guy in the locker room... I think every gym has (at least) one...

...but I thought of another pet peeve tonight...

I know what you're getting at...but there's also certain reasons why people do that (not the "how much can you press?"). For example, on my chest days, I go straight to the bench because if I do anything else before it, I won't have the energy later to get a good workout on the bench. Make sense?
Old 06-01-2006, 02:03 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by Dem1K
I know what you're getting at...but there's also certain reasons why people do that (not the "how much can you press?"). For example, on my chest days, I go straight to the bench because if I do anything else before it, I won't have the energy later to get a good workout on the bench. Make sense?
Oh, I totally know what you mean... and NO, you wouldn't fall in that category... I gonna give you a couple examples of what I meant...

just tonight, I was at 24 Hour Fitness... and I see this... "dad and son" come into the free weight area... (the son looked like he was probabaly freshman-h.s.) they had their duffle bag and sweat bands, the whole thing... I can just imagine... the dad- "...Son, it's time I show you how it's done..." Anyway, they didn't look like they really knew the placement of the gym equipment... so, I watched them panned across the room... looking for something... and sure enough... they head straight or the flat bench press the second they saw it... And it wasn't like it was "chest day" because the would be understandable... like you said... you prefer to start with the bench, but then they went through a whole entire body workout...

...but ya know what I mean? How they head straight for the bench because for some people... it's the only way to start a workout...

okay, example #2

...this goes way back to the early 90's... I, practically grew up out of a "Gold's Gym", it was Gold's Gym of Fullerton Ca., and for awhile... Cal.St.Fullerton's baseball team used the gym for their workouts (cause we were just around the corner from the campus), anyway, there were... what seem like, 50+ guys on the team... and they'd always start off with some kind of team meeting upstairs (pet talk or something) then they'd go downstairs for their workouts... We had 4 bench presses... and when they were done with the meeting... they'd ALL (practically) raced for the benches!!! you'd have like 3 guys to each bench... and then the rest would go do bicep... It was like clockwork... every single fvckin' time... We had an inside joke about them...

that's what I meant... but I know what you mean about starting with bench press first, I always start with either pull ups or wide grip pull downs on back day (I never start with any bend over-rowing movement...)
Old 06-01-2006, 02:15 AM
I shoot people

Okay, so I have two more "pet peeves" about the gym... well, one... but the 2nd one doesn't really bother me... but more or less humor me...

...okay, I don't know if anyone's mention this yet... but I can't stand it when people grunt loud...

I mean... if you're like about to do a shit load of weight... and it's gonna be like one or two reps... (cause it's so damn heavy) fine... but I see guys occasionally grunt like they're going for the world record or something and they're not even leftin' that much.. and it's so loud to a point where you're going... "Okay, that's just sooooo NOT neccesary..."

The 2nd one... is when guys, for some reason, think that they have to do the "tough man" act when they're loading plates on a machine or the olympic bar on a bench, so they slam the plates so hard that it causes the plate on the other side of the bar to slide (slightly) out, then they have to walk around to the other side again to push the plate back...
Old 06-01-2006, 02:30 AM
Drifting

The mother fucker that takes too long at the water fountain.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:46 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by JT Money
The mother fucker that takes too long at the water fountain.

especially when they're filling their water bottle and have no common curtesy to let you go....
Old 06-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Not Asian

The guy you help spot. Then he makes excuses why he can't get that last rep. One guy told me he got a "bad" massage and that the masseuse didn't know what she was doing.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Racer

The guy with the under armor wear t shirt who doesnt have a pound of muscle in him . The fat guy with no muscle who acts like he was Arnold schwarzenegger in his good days , but actually looks like shit . The guys who does two reps and looks at the mirror to check if his muscles are growing

http://www.shanghaiist.com/attachmen...arzenegger.jpg
Old 06-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by geminisdc
WTF??
Old 06-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Got a Job!

no wayyyyyy
Old 06-02-2006, 01:36 AM
I shoot people

I remember that picture from a tabloid... and you know how (not) legit they can be...
Old 06-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
WTF??
Well, those pics are about 25 years apart. That's what happens when you age, stop training and eat too much Kind of startling though. I think Arnold is worried about things other than bodybuilding at this point.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Outnumbered at home

The man is 50 something. Cut him some slack you bishes

Quick Reply: People I hate at the gym