Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

People I hate at the gym

Old 02-08-2006, 06:32 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,778 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
There is the guy at my gym. He thinks he's the shit. He has to be in his 40's always walks around in some tight ass wrestling outfit complete with the speghetti straps, and popping his chewing gum as loud as he can; I rarely see him do anything, he just walks around trying to look tough and watches what everyone else is doing. I could ignore him, if it wasn't for that damn GUM POPPING!!!

by the sound of it... I don't think he's watching what everyone else is doing, but looking around to see if anyone's watching HIM... guys like that just thrive for attention... there's at least one in every gym...
Old 02-08-2006, 06:40 PM
likes it raw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One guy at my gym takes up a bench and a half (and the surrounding floor space) with all the crap he lays out to get ready after his workout. I go to a pretty small gym, so there's not much room in the locker area to begin with.

Basically anything he can fit in the hockey-bag sized duffel he carries around with him gets pulled out and thrown on a bench or the floor. He spends probably 30 minutes after he works out showering/shaving/flossing/ brushing /gelling/etc with all his crap preventing anyone from sitting down or getting around him.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
At my gym we have 2 size lockers, one for normal people and one for gnomes. I hate the people who take the normal sized lockers and do put a lock on it (because they are always taken).
Old 02-08-2006, 11:43 PM
giggity giggity giggity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
At my gym we have 2 size lockers, one for normal people and one for gnomes. I hate the people who take the normal sized lockers and do put a lock on it (because they are always taken).
My gym they recently posted signs saying any locks left on at closing time will be cut. I love it.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by brianlin87
the fool that sits on the freakin benches w/ his bare butt cheeks and then raises up his foot to clip his toenails while I'm standing there trying to change.

DAMN Him.
Yet another variation of the creepy naked guy who looks for excuses to maximize his naked time around other guys. WTF is wrong with these sickos?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Not Asian

The damn teams. A damn swim team takes up all three lanes. The damn volleyball team, takes up the whole court. I don't play basketball, but I don't think that's fair. However, I do swim and it pisses me off.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Last week I saw the worst thing ever. One of the creepy naked guys who usually loiters around the locker room butt naked for 20 -45 minutes a day laid a towel on the floor and shaved his pubes with an electric razor. F**king disgusting!!

Of course once he was done he picked his towel full of pubic hair of the floor, put it in the bin full of towels that need to be washed, then shaved, combed his, hair, and applied his deodorant all while standing around butt naked.

a big WTF to the guy shaving his pubes in the locker room. Do they realize that they are not home??!! That is just plain sick dude!

Other guys walk in the shower bare footed; all that standing water, dirt, sweat, funk, piss, and other shit on the floors and they seem like they don't even care.

I shower when I get home, i never use the gym showers, its just fuckin nasty in there. I go to the gym already dressed in my workout clothes so the only time I really go in the locker room is to use the bathroom and I don't even like doing that, its just plain filthy and everytime I go to wash my hands there is at least 2 guys standing butt ass naked in front of the hand dryers trying to dry their bodies off.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Advanced

There is a guy at my gym who NEVER unloads anything he uses. Hammerstrength machines, leg press, calf raise...nothing. He puts like 1000 lbs on the leg press and does some half arsed calf raises with it. Then I have to unload his weight if I want to use the machine. The fact that he is super smelly doesn't help.

I also hate the b1tches who make snide remarks. The latest one? "If you lift weight like that, does that mean you are a man?"
Old 02-14-2006, 02:01 PM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by g1underground
Damn....OK........got a new one, got this old gay guy following me around from station to station. I'm trying to respect this fool but I've grown tired of looking up and seeing this clown grinning at me. If I punch him out that would cause another problem. I've told this bitch to back off once but he's back.

Any ideas for PLAN B
Tell him you don't play for his team, and that if he persists, you will report him to management for sexual harassment. If he persists, do it. The threat was effective enough for me, the one time I was "pursued". Clearly the guy has a fixation or obsession about you, the only way to break through is to make your distaste very palpable............gotta say my experience made me understand how women felt about unwanted advances from predatory guys.....
Old 02-14-2006, 02:05 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by PerfectlyImperfect
There is a guy at my gym who NEVER unloads anything he uses. Hammerstrength machines, leg press, calf raise...nothing. He puts like 1000 lbs on the leg press and does some half arsed calf raises with it. Then I have to unload his weight if I want to use the machine. The fact that he is super smelly doesn't help.

I also hate the b1tches who make snide remarks. The latest one? "If you lift weight like that, does that mean you are a man?"
I've been frequenting gyms for 25 years, and in my experience this is easily the most common sin commited. How about when you're looking for a particular set of dumbbells. You find one on the rack, but end up finding the other clear across the room tucked behind a squat rack. Nothing irks me more.

Gym etiquette is a lost art.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by waTSX
How about when you're looking for a particular set of dumbbells.
Ha! Funny that you posted this. There are notices posted all over my gym right now. It appears that someone has stolen a set of 25, 30, 35, and 40 lb dumbbells. Bear in mind, I attend the gym that belongs to one of the medical schools in Houston.

Gym etiquette is nonexistant...
Old 02-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PerfectlyImperfect
Ha! Funny that you posted this. There are notices posted all over my gym right now. It appears that someone has stolen a set of 25, 30, 35, and 40 lb dumbbells. Bear in mind, I attend the gym that belongs to one of the medical schools in Houston.

Gym etiquette is nonexistant...
Funny, this had happened over the past month and a half in the gym in my condo.
Someone had "taken" a 65lber over a weekend, then they "took" the other one the next weekend, then they "took" the 55's, then the 50s, 70s then just this weekend, the 45s (both). Now, the thing is, they would only "take" one dumbell per weekend. But just yesterday, they were all found in the womens sauna room which was under construction. Stange people to just hide one dumbell per weekend
Old 02-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Another funny guy in my gym, its not funny enough that he lifts weights in his casual wear (dockers, button-up shirts, loafers), but recently, he has been grabbing tissues from the bathroom to use as ? weight gloves ? while lifting with free weights. You would have to be there to see this dude with wads of tissuepaper in his hands while benching and curling. More funnier is he bought his cousin/friend in and both these guys work out with wads of tissuepaper in their hands
Old 02-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm sure its been said but the damn cell phone guy.. sits on a machine for like 30 minutes talking on the damn cell phone.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Not Asian

The guy that doesn't put his stuff in a locker and carries it all around the gym. Damn 50 lb gym bag gets in the way. Buy a damn lock.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Outnumbered at home

How about the parents that bring their 10 year olds to the gym and they run from machine to machine or fool around on the treadmill.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
This thread still cracks me up...

Luckily for me, the gym in my new apartment complex is no longer frequented by most of the people living here and is quite empty most of the time. The only place that really gets crowded is the corner with all the cardio equipment.

Still, we get the ocassional idiot that walks in, chatting on the cell phone, acting like a tough guy, but then sees the regulars, and never shows up again.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:25 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by 95gt
How about the parents that bring their 10 year olds to the gym and they run from machine to machine or fool around on the treadmill.

...tell the gym manager the seriousness of the insurance violation, may help... sometimes they forget
Old 02-25-2006, 12:04 PM
El Presidente

i find it annoying when people just sit and stare at you while you are working a set. I mean i don't mind observing here n there, but this one guy yesterday just wouldnt quit!
Old 02-25-2006, 05:38 PM
I shoot people

...okay, I have (another) one...

...guys that load up the leg press machine... waaaaaaaaaay more than they can handle... they do one of two things.... or both, 1) they have so much weight that once they "un-rack" they barely lower a few inches with hardly any range of motion... 2) it's so heavy, during the set, they have their hands placed on their knees, pushing, cheating so much... I wanna ask them if they're working out their legs or triceps... and then there're the guys that do both... I just don't understand why people do that???!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 06:30 PM
El Presidente

I come across the guy with the music blasting in their headphones yet continue to yell ridiculously loud during a set. i find it rather annoying.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:36 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by dark inspire
I come across the guy with the music blasting in their headphones yet continue to yell ridiculously loud during a set. i find it rather annoying.

that's funny... cause I had brought up the idea once... with my workout partner... perhaps we should both listen to our own music when we workout... (cause Mark has a tendency to start telling me random stories that'll get us side track with the workouts)... anyway, we never got around to doing it... but one day we see these two guys working out... they were workout partners... both with iPods... and just yelling everytime they talked... it was annoying the fuck out of the entire place.... Mark and I just looked at each other... and both go... "...we aren't doin' that..."
Old 02-25-2006, 06:56 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by is300eater
that's funny... cause I had brought up the idea once... with my workout partner... perhaps we should both listen to our own music when we workout... (cause Mark has a tendency to start telling me random stories that'll get us side track with the workouts)... anyway, we never got around to doing it... but one day we see these two guys working out... they were workout partners... both with iPods... and just yelling everytime they talked... it was annoying the fuck out of the entire place.... Mark and I just looked at each other... and both go... "...we aren't doin' that..."

Yeah with a partner it;s a tad more difficult. I think the music in the gym is adequate, and when you're weith a partner just be motivational lol
Old 02-25-2006, 07:34 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
With a partner I tend to not bring the ipod out...but if we do...we usually pull one of the ear pieces out so we have a semblance or normal volume.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:23 PM
about::blank

The music at the gym sometimes isn't what I like to hear while I work out. When I go with some people, we usually talk. If we have our headphones on, we are listening at a not so loud volume.
I think some people are just more conscious of their surroundings than others.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Racer

i find it annoying when people just sit and stare at you while you are working a set. I mean i don't mind observing here n there, but this one guy yesterday just wouldnt quit!
I do that unfortunately, but I do it standing far away usually not noticed and only if you are significantly lifting a lot of weight.

What gym in Sactown do you go to?
Old 02-26-2006, 06:16 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by goddsmack
I do that unfortunately, but I do it standing far away usually not noticed and only if you are significantly lifting a lot of weight.

What gym in Sactown do you go to?

i go to UC Davis, so i use the gym on campus, its pretty tight. but when i was at home, i used the 24hr. in Elk Grove off of Bruceville. What about u?
Old 02-26-2006, 06:36 PM
I shoot people

...I gotta another one... (man, I'm on a roll this week...), this happened to me yesterday when I was doing dumb bell laterial raises... I hate it when people don't pay attention... and walk right in the path of your movement... in this particular incident... it was just some middle age lady with her little workout partner... walking towards me... chatting away about fuckin'... shopping or some crap... I see her totally sees me in the mirror but yet... doesn't acknowledge the fact that I'm doing an exercise where my arms are swinging from one pos. to another... and she walked right into the path... I could've been mean... and just proceed to do it anyway, but it would've given her a really bad "charlie horse" with the dumb bell (in her thighs)... it screwed up my momentum... cause I had to pause while she walk by...

...people have done that to me when I was dumb bell (chest) pressing... where they actually "brushed" by one of the dumb bells (actually making slight contact)... which is extremely dangerous...
Old 02-26-2006, 06:38 PM
El Presidente

damn bro you are on a roll!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:06 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
...I gotta another one... (man, I'm on a roll this week...), this happened to me yesterday when I was doing dumb bell laterial raises... I hate it when people don't pay attention... and walk right in the path of your movement... in this particular incident... it was just some middle age lady with her little workout partner... walking towards me... chatting away about fuckin'... shopping or some crap... I see her totally sees me in the mirror but yet... doesn't acknowledge the fact that I'm doing an exercise where my arms are swinging from one pos. to another... and she walked right into the path... I could've been mean... and just proceed to do it anyway, but it would've given her a really bad "charlie horse" with the dumb bell (in her thighs)... it screwed up my momentum... cause I had to pause while she walk by...

...people have done that to me when I was dumb bell (chest) pressing... where they actually "brushed" by one of the dumb bells (actually making slight contact)... which is extremely dangerous...

I see fucking trainers do it, too. When I do warms ups for shoulder I usually have a nickel plate and do 10 circular movements one way, and 10 the other. Big wide sweeping circles with my arm and a weight...And idiots see it and proceed to damn near walk right into...and its not a momentum you can stop.

These people are luck y they dont get their noses broken, and the trainers should know better...this particular has been there for 4 years...I've always thought he was a cock.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:09 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After reading through all these pages I realize that my "small" gym manages to have all these people as members

Im new so im trying my hardest not to fall into any of these catagories, but I actually have one that im sure not many have seen. The guy who arrives at the gym drunk . Im not lying when I say last week I was changing in the locker room and this guy stumbles in to the locker room reaking of booze. Starts telling everyone how hard his workout is going to be after coming from happy hour
Old 03-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Not Asian

The damn Bosnians. That is all.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Drifting

people on the eliptical and their cell phone screaming away!!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:46 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by Rodney

Cell phones in the gym: unacceptable
Old 03-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rodney
Yeah I might be one of those people , sometimes it's the only time of the day to actually make a phone call, but I'm courtesy and I'm not one of those people that yells my conversations out loud like others, I definilty keep my conversations in a low tone and they are usually just a quick call. If it's going to be a long one, then I'll take my stuff and talk outside or something to that effect.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Racer

...I gotta another one... (man, I'm on a roll this week...), this happened to me yesterday when I was doing dumb bell laterial raises... I hate it when people don't pay attention... and walk right in the path of your movement...
YES THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING THAT . I have that same problem, but especially for the side deltoid machine where you basically sit backwards on the pec-deck with handle bars and swing the arms wide back torwards you. I can't obviously see behind me and I could easily whack someone walking torwards me and I have come close to do so a couple times, so now I stop my movement if I catch anyone that isn't going to go around another way and Iyeah it fucks up my motion too, which really sucks when you are going with heavy weight.

People just do not give you room or just plain rude.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:31 PM
El Presidente

i dont remember if this has been mentioned before but the guy that wears excessive amounts of cologne. Come on now, this isn't a nightclub
Old 03-10-2006, 11:45 PM
That's Racist

i dont remember if this has been mentioned before but the guy that wears excessive amounts of cologne. Come on now, this isn't a nightclub
Although I agree with such, I would gladly prefer too much cologne over the obligatory Indian guy with crazy BO I'm sorry for the racist specific comment y'all; but so far this generalization has held up pretty strongly and accurately with my career @ UCLA.

Got a new one (unless it's been mentioned, this thread is too long ); there's a guy @ my gym that wears a polo shirt everytime he lifts... on top of that, the fucking collar is popped. ALL THE FUCKING TIME.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:53 AM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
Although I agree with such, I would gladly prefer too much cologne over the obligatory Indian guy with crazy BO I'm sorry for the racist specific comment y'all; but so far this generalization has held up pretty strongly and accurately with my career @ UCLA.

Got a new one (unless it's been mentioned, this thread is too long ); there's a guy @ my gym that wears a polo shirt everytime he lifts... on top of that, the fucking collar is popped. ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

good point w/the BO. better having us indians smell like Aqua di Gio than Curry lol

Yeah that collard shirt one, would annoy me as well. Isn't there a dress code at ur gym though?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:31 AM
That's Racist

good point w/the BO. better having us indians smell like Aqua di Gio than Curry lol

Yeah that collard shirt one, would annoy me as well. Isn't there a dress code at ur gym though?
naw mang, open gym to students, no dress code.

So on top of the popped up collar polo shirt guy, there's the asian guys that come in with boots and jeans, the guys that show up in medical scrubs <--- although commendable, cause I don't see these people as anything less than hardworkers, I still find it gross if they're being splashed by blood and other assorted fluids, then coming and sharing a bench w/ me ((just realized this)); and other assorted characters including the ill fitted under armour wearers.

Quick Reply: People I hate at the gym