Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Paleo Recipes

Old 09-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Paleo Recipes

I'm on something of a modified Paleo diet for anti-inflammatory purposes to help treat Lyme disease & Babesiosis. I know I've read a couple of people make mention of Paleo dieting in their house. It's something I'm hoping not to have to strictly adhere to long-term, but for now it's really helping with the pain, so I'm being very, very strict.

So. No dairy, no grain, no sugar, no yeast.

And no vinegar other than apple cider vinegar, which can make salad dressings a bit of a challenge.

Any of you have any recipes to share? Products you've found that you love?

I'll start.

Annie's Naturals makes a delicious Lemon Chive dressing.

http://www.iherb.com/Annie-s-Natural...FYTd4Aod3G4AJw

I haven't tried these yet, but planning to pick up the ingredients tonight to make some possibly funky coconut macaroons.

3/4 cup very fine ground blanched almond flour (like Honeyville, or homemade)
1 1/2 cup dried, shredded unsweetened coconut (I like “Let’s Do Organic”)
1/4 cup plus 1-2 tablespoons raw honey (the lighter the mellower, orange honey is my favorite here)
1/4 cup coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
2 teaspoons GF vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean pod scraped (optional)
Pinch of unrefined sea salt (where to buy salt)

Directions:

In a bowl, combine the almond flour and coconut.
In a separate bowl, mix together the honey, coconut oil, vanilla, vanilla bean seeds and salt until well blended.
Add the honey mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined (I like to use my hands for this as it helps to get the vanilla bean seeds distributed throughout the “dough”)
Using a rounded “measuring” tablespoon, gently press the macaroon dough into the spoon, then turn the spoon upside down and tap the cookie out into your hand. Gently place on a parchment lined baking sheet and repeat with the rest of the dough.
Bake in a 195-200 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes. The outside should be dried out a bit and the inside should be soft and chewy. For raw macaroons, place in your dehydrator until they are slightly dry on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. Times will vary depending on the dehydrator and temp used.
Allow the macaroons to sit for at least 15 minute before transferring. They will be quite delicate while still warm but very sturdy once cooled. We LOVE our macaroons chilled.

Anyone?
Old 09-11-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I've seen my co-worker mimic mashed potatoes by using cauliflower
Old 09-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Mmm..I actually really like mashed cauliflower. And it has lots of good B vits, which I am deficient in. Good call. Thanks, Juice!

..off to find a recipe...!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:52 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Cauliflower is damn good any way you make it.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Earth-bound misfit

No argument here! And it's more filling than some veggies, even raw.

Going to try out these muffins tonight. Breakfast is one of the harder meals for me to find food for. I'm not a heavy egg & bacon breakfaster, typically. And most sausages are out - they almost all have sugar or some other verboten ingredient.

Spiced Banana Walnut Muffins

Ingredients:

3 pastured eggs
2 Tbs pastured butter or coconut oil— where to buy butter, where to buy coconut oil
2 Tbs coconut milk or whole milk— where to buy milk, where to buy coconut milk, how to make your own coconut milk
2 Tbs honey (raw if possible) — where to buy honey
2 ripe bananas
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt – where to buy salt
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup coconut flour — where to buy coconut flour or how to make your own
1/2 cup walnuts – where to buy nuts
1/4 tsp baking powder, optional

Directions:

In a food processor or blender, mix eggs, butter, coconut milk, honey, bananas, salt, and vanilla.
Combine coconut flour with baking powder (if you’re using it) and add to food processor. Blend until there are no lumps.
Add walnuts and pulse until they are chopped into bite-sized pieces.
Pour batter into 6 large oiled muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 AM

I talked to my co-worker yesterday.
he said he gets his recipes and even creates them here:
http://freepaleo.com/

he said that he won a crock pot cuz every one liked his recipe.
The following users liked this post:
wndrlst (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Earth-bound misfit

You are awesome, Justin. Thank you for taking the time.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a the major sites that I use for recipes
nomnompaleo.com (she also has an iPad app)
everydaypaleo.com
balancedbites.com
paleocomfortfoods.com
paleomg.com
cavemangourmet.com
jensgonepaleo.com

I also have cook books from Paleo Comfort Foods and Make it Paleo which are awesome.
The following 2 users liked this post by '06 Arctic:
justnspace (09-13-2012), wndrlst (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Also Wndrlst, Annie's Naturals does make a good dressing, but if you look at the ingredients, Canola/vegetable oil is used. There are conflicting views if Canola Oil is Paleo or not. Some say it is, others say it's not. I try to stay as far away from it as I can for the reasons found in the following link:

http://balancedbites.com/2010/06/can...nt-eat-it.html

Let me know if you have any questions! I am by no means 100% strict Paleo, but try to eat about 80/20 based on the non-paleo foods that I've found don't affect me that much. We have also had numerous strict paleo challenges at my Crossfit gym that I have taken part in that really teaches us what to or not to eat.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Thank you!

I'll do a little research on Canola oil. My main goal is anti-inflammation at this point, and so far I've been tolerating it well, but may need to limit the amount. It's not technically allowed on this anti-inflammatory diet, either, but hasn't been bothering me. Something to consider. Maybe time to start making my own dressings, too.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 AM

I enjoy that I can see what I'm eating.
while I havent fully committed to the paleo diet, it has opened my eyes on grain and processed foods and sugars.
wndrlst (09-18-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Earth-bound misfit

I'm not hardcore sold on paleo eating only. The goal of this diet when I'm able to add some things back in after some weeks is more of a Paleo-Mediterranean diet.

That said, I do think (and have for a long time) that heavily processed foods and crazy effing chemical additives are very damaging long-term. I've always been an everything-in-moderation kind of person about them, but I can't afford to be right now - they're just out.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM

being healthy is the name of the game.
Hope you feel better, Wndrlst
Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Thank you.

I really do already. I'm shocked how much my pain has diminished. I'm the most skeptical of skeptics when it comes "detoxing" and nebulous inflammatory foods, etc. But I can't help but be a believer right now. I'm still weak and tired as shit, and still having some mild fevers and chills, but the pain is at least 80% improved, even without the antibiotics. Wonderful.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wndrlst
Thank you!

I'll do a little research on Canola oil. My main goal is anti-inflammation at this point, and so far I've been tolerating it well, but may need to limit the amount. It's not technically allowed on this anti-inflammatory diet, either, but hasn't been bothering me. Something to consider. Maybe time to start making my own dressings, too.
You're welcome!

I pretty much make all my own oil/vinegar based dressings now. I get dressing seasonings from Penseys Spices and use this dressing mixer my wife has (which also has recipes on it) to measure everything out. Use olive oil exclusively for dressings. When cooking, I'll switch up between olive oil, walnut oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil.

I also try to make my own mayo, ketchup, BBQ sauces, etc. but have been really slacking on that lately. They are all pretty quick to make and much better for you. Homemade mayo with fresh garlic and chopped dill makes an awesome veggie dip!
wndrlst (09-18-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Awesome. I'm planning to make my own mustard. I'm only allowed apple cider vinegar right now, so can't find any to buy.

Do your BBQ sauces & ketchup have sugar in them, or do you sweeten with something else? I'm off sugar and don't know if that's a piece of the paleo thing or not. I am allowed honey, agave syrup, and grade b maple syrup in small quantities.

If you get time, would you mind sharing a couple of your favorite recipes?

I garlic and dill - sounds yummy!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

This is a modified version of a decision tree that one of my coaches made at my gym for a Paleo challenge we were doing. It has since been ripped off many times before she was able to get rights to it. Regardless, when I am eating strict Paleo this is pretty much what I go off of:

So that means no sugar or sweetener of an any kind including agave syrup, honey, maple syrup, etc. Again our challenges are very strict (Whole30 Challenge). Normally honey and maple syrup are ok as long as they are minimally processed.

Here is a good BBQ sauce recipe that I've used before:
http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/c...sty-bbq-sauce/

Homemade mayo:
http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com...mayo-patience/
-I usually go 50/50 with a nut oil and olive oil in order to not have a overpowering taste of olive oil in the mayo. Or you can use extra light olive oil.

Awesome Garlic Cauliflower "Mashed Potatoes"
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/16575988...iflower-mashed

Egg muffins: Best breakfast food ever. fast and easy to make, even easier to heat up in the morning
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/74868194...ittata-muffins

Another good Paleo Breakfast, Cinnamon & Coconut Pancakes:
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91998715...conut-pancakes

Paleo Comfort Foods Chili recipe is one of the best chili's I've ever had, paleo or not. Unfortunately the recipe is not available online only in their cookbook.

There are so many others. My favorite paleo meal? A grilled rib eye steak with mashed sweet potatoes, and garlic roasted broccoli.
The following 2 users liked this post by '06 Arctic:
EL19 (02-06-2013), wndrlst (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Wow, wow. Thank you so much!

I made these almond meal pancakes for breakfast yesterday. Made them a little tastier by adding fork smashed blackberries to the batter just before cooking and topping with more of the blackberries. Definitely a different texture - more eggy, but not bad.

6 pastured eggs
1 cup almond meal
1 tsp vanilla extract
Ľ tsp unrefined sea salt

Instructions:

Mix ingredients until there are no clumps
Heat ghee or coconut oil over medium heat in a nonstick cast iron skillet
Pour batter into the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes on the first side, then flip.

Those egg muffins look delicious!

I'll check out the Comfort Foods cookbook. I think I'll be doing a lot of this long enough to warrant finding some really good recipes.

Thank you again!!

Last edited by wndrlst; 09-14-2012 at 07:25 AM.
justnspace (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Your welcome again! One of the things I've found with a lot of paleo dessert/"bread" type recipes is they will use a lot of eggs. Not sure if it is to make up for the lack of gluten or what, so they can seem a little eggy at times.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Earth-bound misfit

So, I did make the banana walnut "muffins." - I didn't want to open a can of coconut milk for only 2 TBS, so I subbed almond milk. They were surprisingly good! They look pale and funky and are dense, but very, very tasty and not too sweet. You could probably leave out the honey since that's not considered paleo and they'd still be sweet enough thanks to the bananas.

Today's culinary breakfast treat: "cereal!"

dried dates, papayas, and pineapples mixed with pumpkin seeds, walnut and pecan chunks, and fresh blackberries and raspberries. Served in almond milk with a bit of cinnamon.

Last edited by wndrlst; 09-17-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
What's wrong with dairy?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:21 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
subsribed to read later.. if i remember.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by Scottman111
What's wrong with dairy?
Nothing at all. I fucking love it. It just doesn't appear to love me back. I'm not absorbing B1, B12, or carnitine any longer because my gut is so pissed off and leaky. Major, major whole body health implications with those deficiencies, so I can't jack around any longer. Have to be very strict to let everything heal.

I miss cheese. Cheddar, feta, brie, camembert, havarti.....mmmmmmmm.

I may be able to eat it again eventually, though I'll probably never swig straight milk again or use it in my cereal.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace
I talked to my co-worker yesterday.
he said he gets his recipes and even creates them here:
http://freepaleo.com/
I'm sorry it was www.fastpaleo.com
Old 09-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Oh cool - thanks! I already found a recipe there that I wanted to try a few days ago...will look around some more!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

What's wrong with dairy?
I eat dairy as I don't believe that it has a major affect on me, but I have tried to cut back on it. Link below is a great post on reasons to cut out dairy:

http://whole9life.com/2009/07/dairy-manifesto/

Dallas and Mellissa Hartwig are highly respected in the Paleo Community.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Earth-bound misfit

I should probably share 2 of my simple staples that I've been making a lot of. These are quick and easy throw-in-the-oven-and-have-leftovers main dishes. I'm still very limited on what types of herbs/seasonings I can even eat, so they're super basic, but surprisingly yummy.

Simple Salmon

Fresh Salmon filet cut into ~3-4 oz pieces
Unrefined sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Season salmon with salt and pepper. Place salmon, skin side down, on a non-stick baking sheet or in a non-stick pan with an oven-proof handle. Bake until salmon is cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes.

In my oven, it's over-cooked by 13 minutes - I take it out at 12. I don't like tough, chewy salmon. It's a fatty enough fish that no oil is needed. I serve it with a little lemon.

Simple Baked Chicken

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 lemon
1/2 - 1 TB olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 TB dried oregano, crumbled
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Arrange chicken pieces in pan. Sprinkle both sides with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake 45 minutes until tender and cooked through.

I sometimes eat this with a flax-seed oil & sundried tomato pesto that I found at Wegmans for a little extra flavor, but it's good as it is.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by '06 Arctic
I eat dairy as I don't believe that it has a major affect on me, but I have tried to cut back on it. Link below is a great post on reasons to cut out dairy:

Yes, this. Everything about it describes part of what's been happening with me. Including autoimmune issues that started a couple of years ago, and hypoglycemic episodes presumably from the insulin spikes.

As the article says, it's not a lactose intolerance, it's a straight up dairy intolerance. Cutting it out, even just over the past couple of weeks, has made a HUGE difference already.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 AM

I'll chug a 40 of Vitamin D for ya

With that said, I'm trying to try different things for breakfast than cereal, since we all know how expensive the good ones are, so I might give some of these a try (like muffins!). Not afraid to try the BBQ sauce and ketchup recipes either. Nice work creeps
Old 09-18-2012, 10:47 AM

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. I don't think I would ever cut dairy completely out, but I do think I need to cut back on it. I consider myself a milkoholic...I usually drink 1%, but I need to substitute some milk for water. The only other things I drink are orange juice, and beer (socially on the weekends).

Like my Mom said when I was growing up, I'm surprised I don't weigh 300 pounds with all the milk I drink
Old 09-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Earth-bound misfit

I'll chug a 40 of Vitamin D for ya

With that said, I'm trying to try different things for breakfast than cereal, since we all know how expensive the good ones are, so I might give some of these a try (like muffins!). Not afraid to try the BBQ sauce and ketchup recipes either. Nice work creeps
Thank you, I shall live vicariously through you.

<-----not allowed to drink OJ or beer, either.... (for now)
Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 AM

Old 09-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Water; no-sugar-added cherry, pomegranate, cranberry, acai, blackberry, or raspberry juices; green tea; almond milk; coconut milk. That's it for the next 2 weeks (I'm in Phase II).

The elimination protocol permits oranges again in phase III. And organic coffee.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
This diet looks like hell
wndrlst (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Earth-bound misfit

You should have seen the daggers I was shooting at my doctor when we were talking about it. Seriously..I love dairy. And sauces. And vinegar-y things like dill pickles and hot wings. And creme brulee.

The first 3-4 days were hard while I figured out things I could eat that felt like complete meals and made me feel full. I also spent that time locating stuff like almond and coconut flours, oils, milks, etc. I wasted lots of time reading ingredients on everything under the sun until I realized I just needed to suck it up and make most of my own stuff. Honestly, I'm already hardly craving sweets at all, now, though, and am getting used to the restrictions.

The savory sauces are harder..going out to eat with friends and family and ordering salmon with no butter and a side of steamed broccoli while they're chowing on bread and butter and yummy pasta dishes...that kind of sucks. But I feel better, so it's 100% worth it.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cM3go
This diet looks like hell
Wndrlst post following this pretty much sums up most Paleo experiences. The first week or two absolutely sucks as your body is pretty much going thru withdraw from all the crap that is in the majority of processed foods, prepared meals, etc. that people eat. After that period is over though, the improvement in mood, energy levels, health, etc. are pretty impressive.

As a full blooded Italian, I thought I was going to die the first time I participated in a Paleo challenge at my gym. I used to eat pasta at least twice a week and could eat a whole loaf of Italian bread in a day if I wanted to. After participating in a few challenges and trying to adhere to a more Paleo diet, though I'll admit I could do much better with my adherence, I find myself not really wanted pasta and bread at all now. I feel that the hardest part of a Paleo diet, for me at least, is finding the time to prepare meals.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by wndrlst
Water; no-sugar-added cherry, pomegranate, cranberry, acai, blackberry, or raspberry juices; green tea; almond milk; coconut milk. That's it for the next 2 weeks (I'm in Phase II).

The elimination protocol permits oranges again in phase III. And organic coffee.
Why no OJ, but the other juices you listed are allowed? I assume less sugar in them?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Wndrlst post following this pretty much sums up most Paleo experiences. The first week or two absolutely sucks as your body is pretty much going thru withdraw from all the crap that is in the majority of processed foods, prepared meals, etc. that people eat. After that period is over though, the improvement in mood, energy levels, health, etc. are pretty impressive.

As a full blooded Italian, I thought I was going to die the first time I participated in a Paleo challenge at my gym. I used to eat pasta at least twice a week and could eat a whole loaf of Italian bread in a day if I wanted to. After participating in a few challenges and trying to adhere to a more Paleo diet, though I'll admit I could do much better with my adherence, I find myself not really wanted pasta and bread at all now. I feel that the hardest part of a Paleo diet, for me at least, is finding the time to prepare meals.
My husband is an Italian vegetarian. We hardly eat any of the same food right now. Pasta and cheese are 2 of his staples!

Finding time has been tough for me, too, but I'm figuring out quantities to make that will keep me in leftovers without them going bad. The harder part for me is living in a temporary apartment with a tiny kitchen and 80% of my cooking gear in storage. 6 more weeks. I can do this...

Why no OJ, but the other juices you listed are allowed? I assume less sugar in them?
The sugar is probably part of it, but also oranges are on the list as being more likely to cause inflammation. I imagine the acidity is part of that. I can add them back in phase III (2 weeks from now) but may not be able to keep them.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 AM

Old 09-20-2012, 10:00 AM

Lost so far 4lbs the past week by eating a cup of Greek yogurt a banana and orange for breakfast and then a salad of baby spinach grape tomatoes red onion corn and chicken breast topped with exactly 2tbsp of a light balsamic vinegarette... And then green grapes and strawberries as a snack. Does that count? Or what other changes should I make to be more paleo During the day?

Quick Reply: Paleo Recipes