Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

P90x and P90x2

Old 06-20-2009, 02:58 AM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
P90x and P90x2

Well I ordered P90x after viewing countless late night early morning infomercials. I downloaded a sample of their abb ripper x work out,
and my god was it intense.
I couldn't keep up with the instructor, and had to take a break in between sets. Seems like a great program.

I did my online research (all of 10minutes or so), and found no real negatives for the system.
countless youtube videos of "real people'" and their transformations.

I figured why not. I have a 90 day money back guarantee, which is the actual length of the program itself. So if I do not see results, I'll return it.

I've been working out seriously since 2004 and although my strength has improved tremendously (able to bench 225, for five reps. with a spotter) ,
my physical appearance is still not to my liking.
I suspect my eating is the cause of my poor appearance. I've never really tried to eat healthy.
My mind set was, " f*ck it, I'm going to the gym later, so I can have that extra slice of pizza" lol...

I'm 5' 09" 162lbs and the last time I checked my body fat %, it was b/w 17-19% body fat. I Shouldn't have changed +/- 2% body fat since.

I'll have my Day 1 photos as soon as I get p90x in the mail. And of course I'll keep updates of my progress each 30 days after.

Wish me success.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Keep us updated on your progress and if it works send it to me after your done with it in 90 days!
Old 06-20-2009, 09:12 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
you probably already know this but your diet is way more important than working out when it comes to how your body looks, although you still have to work out. my roommate uses it i've checked it out. it works because it makes you work out all of the muscle groups in your body so you don't get stuck in the same routine with the same muscles which will limit your gains. this is kind of how they trained to 300 actors to get cut really fast.

i've seen people rag on p90x and say you can get all of the info free online. that's true, but the problem is that most people don't know what they're looking at so you're paying for someone to put all of the info in front of you.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:51 AM
is in Honda heaven

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A guy on another Honda forum I'm one has been doing this for about 3 weeks now and says that it really helps and works. Like the abover poster stated a lot of the information can be found but if you dont know what you're doing or looking for the information being out there doesnt really help. For instance a lot of the exercises dont look revolutionary but I personally never would have thought to work my body in that manor. Seems to be a better deal than a lot of this BS work out equipment or other work out plans you see.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My bf got copies of the CDs from someone else. They are still sitting in my bedroom, but maybe I'll try it one of these days.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:12 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
My sister uses it and she says it works great, but it gets boring at times.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.crossfit.com

Cant preach this program enough. Extreme intensity, tons of information , there should be plenty of crossfit affiliates near you.

Go to one of the crossfit gyms for an intro - a free WOD - you'll see what i'm talking about in regards to intensity.

I can promise if you stick with it you will not only become strong, more explosive etc, you will shed BF (assuming your eating well enough)
Old 06-20-2009, 03:54 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Originally Posted by Bdog
Keep us updated on your progress and if it works send it to me after your done with it in 90 days!
haha I'll definitely keep you guys updated. I still haven't received my conformation e-mail from beachbody.com . I probably won't get the actually system in my hands till Friday

Originally Posted by wasupdog
you probably already know this but your diet is way more important than working out when it comes to how your body looks, although you still have to work out. my roommate uses it i've checked it out. it works because it makes you work out all of the muscle groups in your body so you don't get stuck in the same routine with the same muscles which will limit your gains. this is kind of how they trained to 300 actors to get cut really fast.

i've seen people rag on p90x and say you can get all of the info free online. that's true, but the problem is that most people don't know what they're looking at so you're paying for someone to put all of the info in front of you.
Good info, and you're right. As much as I'd like to pretended I know a lot about fitness and the right things too eat... I don't... And that is were the problem lies.

Originally Posted by Derk's K24
A guy on another Honda forum I'm one has been doing this for about 3 weeks now and says that it really helps and works. Like the abover poster stated a lot of the information can be found but if you dont know what you're doing or looking for the information being out there doesnt really help. For instance a lot of the exercises dont look revolutionary but I personally never would have thought to work my body in that manor. Seems to be a better deal than a lot of this BS work out equipment or other work out plans you see.

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
My sister uses it and she says it works great, but it gets boring at times.
That's good to know. Honestly, I love working out and going to the gym. I've never been bored with my routine, even though I've been doing the same basic exercises for years.

I'm excited to get started, and I'm glad to read that so many people have heard or actually know people who've used p90x.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Racer

Like Rmatic said, crossfit. Its free and it works. Daily WOD takes less than 30min to do and you don't have to sit infront of a TV to do the workout.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:06 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,406 Posts
damn, saw the title... thought it was a thread on...

Old 06-20-2009, 06:17 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by wasupdog

Couldn't be more true. I used to work out and was probably eating only 1800 calories a day, but once I started taking in over 3500/day (I'm 6'3", 173 now and used to be 150) my strength and weight have gone way up.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:24 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,406 Posts
diet and understanding of nutrition is HUGE in anyone's fitness goal
Old 06-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts

how come this got more responses than my thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/health-fitness-34/tell-me-your-thoughts-about-723673/
Old 06-20-2009, 08:01 PM

btw, i got my copy for free including all the manuals and stuff
Old 06-20-2009, 08:25 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Originally Posted by Mizouse
btw, i got my copy for free including all the manuals and stuff
If indeed i see results, I really don't mind paying full price for it.
And If it doesn't work out, then I can return it for a full refund... seems pretty good to me.

Edit: Miz, good luck dude! Make sure you take day one photos as well as pictures every 30 days,
so you can keep track of your progress.

Last edited by lifetimeofwar; 06-20-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Pro

i also have p90x and it definitely is working for me. Make sure you stick to the routine whichever one you are doing and eat healthy. I do not have a strict diet and i still have gained results. I have been in many gyms and never have sweated nor felt so fatigued!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:34 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
^^it's good you feel fatigued. unless you know exactly what you're doing like is300eater chances are that you're missing working out certain parts of your body. we all get stuck in routines and end up doing redundant excercises or working out the same muscle groups. this is why some dudes (like myself lol) work out for years and look the same.

i was pretty shocked to see my roommate with his shirt off after 2 months but the key is that he actually made the effort to change his diet and is sticking with it (not me lolol).

Last edited by wasupdog; 06-21-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:44 AM
on to the next one...

I finished my first round of P90X in mid-May and I'm actually starting a second round just this week.

I really couldn't be happier with it - the main goal of my first round was to loose weight and get cut, which DEFINITELY happened. I never really considered myself fat, but I dropped 20 lbs overall in the three month time-frame. My second round will be a little more focused on gaining mass.

Like a lot of other people I've spent hours in the gym and even more hours pounding the pavement every week for the last 10 years, but was never really satisfied with the results.

The key to the success of this system is to simply STICK WITH IT. It is hard and you will go through a couple of weeks of really not wanting to do it, but you really need to run the whole program to get results - if you tough it out, you will get what you are looking for. I'm a week into my second round of this program and I can already tell it is SO much easier then when I started my first round.

I'm training for a half-marathon later this summer and a full marathon sometime next year, so I substituted the Cardio-X, Yoga and Kenpo for my running routine. I stuck with the Plyometrics once a week though because that workout is AWESOME! I'm 5'10" and I can hang on the rim again for the first time in 10 years!

If you have any more questions, just ask. I'm no professional, but I have been through it so I should be able to answer most questions.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:06 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

bgsm1th, how strict were you with the nutrition plan? Also, did you use any supplements or powdered drinks?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:25 PM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by lifetimeofwar
bgsm1th, how strict were you with the nutrition plan? Also, did you use any supplements or powdered drinks?
Diet-wise, I was not very strict. I was very good during the week, but definitely let myself slide on the weekends with BBQ's and parties. I allowed myself one night a week to drink and eat most of whatever I wanted. (what can I say, I like to drink) But I did stay away from beer and other carb heavy items more so than usual and that helped keep the weight down. If you are looking ONLY to loose weight, this is not the workout for you. I've actually lost more weight since I've stopped since I've been running and lot more and lifting a lot less since. However, P90X will help melt the fat off.

Supplements are tricky for me because I only have one kidney, so I have to be extra careful what I take. After every lifting exercise, I took IsoPure Zero Carb Protein (50g) mixed with 5g Creatine powder and 5g Glutamine powder. That was it. Nothing before or during my workouts but water, and a LOT of it...

Although I was pretty fatigued after almost every workout, recovery never seemed to be an issue. However, that 1st round of Plyometrics WILL leave you sore for days!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:28 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
damn, saw the title... thought it was a thread on...

hehe me too.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:18 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
Diet-wise, I was not very strict. I was very good during the week, but definitely let myself slide on the weekends with BBQ's and parties. I allowed myself one night a week to drink and eat most of whatever I wanted. (what can I say, I like to drink) But I did stay away from beer and other carb heavy items more so than usual and that helped keep the weight down. If you are looking ONLY to loose weight, this is not the workout for you. I've actually lost more weight since I've stopped since I've been running and lot more and lifting a lot less since. However, P90X will help melt the fat off.

Supplements are tricky for me because I only have one kidney, so I have to be extra careful what I take. After every lifting exercise, I took IsoPure Zero Carb Protein (50g) mixed with 5g Creatine powder and 5g Glutamine powder. That was it. Nothing before or during my workouts but water, and a LOT of it...

Although I was pretty fatigued after almost every workout, recovery never seemed to be an issue. However, that 1st round of Plyometrics WILL leave you sore for days!
thanks for the heads up. I'm not looking purely for weight loss, more so body fat. I don't think i'll be taking any sort of supplement yet... The main thing I will be doing is eating smaller portioned meals, more times a day. (5-7 meals?) As well as eating healthier.

Here are the day one photos:

Hoping to bring my weight down a bit, and definitely take my body fat % from 17/19% to 12/14%. I just finished day one workout and I'm exhausted. I'll update w/ day 30 pics when the time comes.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:35 AM
on to the next one...

thanks for the heads up. I'm not looking purely for weight loss, more so body fat. I don't think i'll be taking any sort of supplement yet... The main thing I will be doing is eating smaller portioned meals, more times a day. (5-7 meals?) As well as eating healthier.

Hoping to bring my weight down a bit, and definitely take my body fat % from 17/19% to 12/14%. I just finished day one workout and I'm exhausted. I'll update w/ day 30 pics when the time comes.
Yeah, dropping 5% body fat throughout this workout shouldn't be a problem at all for you depending on your diet, which it sounds like you have squared away.

Best of luck!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 PM

Here are the day one photos:

i think you have some bigger problems to worry about!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:19 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
Yeah, dropping 5% body fat throughout this workout shouldn't be a problem at all for you depending on your diet, which it sounds like you have squared away.

Best of luck!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mizouse
i think you have some bigger problems to worry about!
I didn't think anyone would notice...
Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
I've been doing this on and off for about a year now lol

I wish I could finish the full 90 days though.

And yea, that ab workout is a monster!...

But by like the 5th time, I could finish the vid.

Stick to it bro, don't be like me haha
Old 06-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I've got spurs...

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This program seems to be exactly what I want. I've been running a couple miles ever other day and doing a small work out routine everyday, but I fear I may be missing some muscle groups. What kind of equipment is required and how long does a normal work out take per day?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 AM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by Lightus
This program seems to be exactly what I want. I've been running a couple miles ever other day and doing a small work out routine everyday, but I fear I may be missing some muscle groups. What kind of equipment is required and how long does a normal work out take per day?
you need to devote one FULL hour a day, maybe even a little more, six days a week.

Equipment you should have:

- Pull-up bar (PowerBands can be a substitute)
- Weights - dumb bells ranging from 10 to 40 lbs., depending on the type of workout you're looking for (powerbands can also be a substitute here)

That's really about it unless you have bad wrists and need push-up bars as well. You will be doing a LOT of push-ups.

Honestly, I only have 10, 20 and 30 lbs. dumb bell sets - that's it - and I get through all the exercises just fine. I don't have powerbands, my wrists are fine, so I just do regular push-ups, and I just do all of my pull ups from the rafters in my basement.

You may want to get a yoga mat or something if you're going to be working out on a concrete or similarly hard floor, you spend a lot of time on the ground. I use my wife's pink yoga mat.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
I've been doing this on and off for about a year now lol

I wish I could finish the full 90 days though.

And yea, that ab workout is a monster!...

But by like the 5th time, I could finish the vid.

Stick to it bro, don't be like me haha
Yup, it really is a huge commitment, but STICK WITH IT! ...The payoff is just as big.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:51 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Originally Posted by Lightus
It's a great program so far, the plyometrics kicked my ass yesterday.
Basically what bgsm1th said is all you need lol.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An hour isn't that big of a commitment.

I guess it depends on things like family etc but if you get into a routine where you get home from work and that's the first thing you do then it's much easier to keep going.

Basically you have to make it part of your routine. I know when I get home from work I'm either going to the gym or running and that's that.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:49 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Yoga today, thank god!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:00 PM
on to the next one...

Yoga today, thank god!
Ha, Yoga isn't exactly a throw-away day... It's 90 minutes and it is not easy if you've a n00b to yoga like I am.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:30 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

haha, no joke! It was just as hard as the other workouts so far.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
sup buddy..

U have to eat right man!! That is the KEY to getting fit/looking good.. Drink lots of water also. Eating/sleeping is important...

U gonna be goin to all cali this year?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Originally Posted by ILLustriousUA6
sup buddy..

U have to eat right man!! That is the KEY to getting fit/looking good.. Drink lots of water also. Eating/sleeping is important...

U gonna be goin to all cali this year?
Thanks for the tips, and yeah I'm definitely going.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
^ real talk, go to barnes and noble and check out Arnold's encyclopedia..

He is AMAZING.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:46 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sean, it may be a bit late, but starting off with P90 isn't a bad idea for almost anybody.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:55 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
It's a great program so far, the plyometrics kicked my ass yesterday.
Basically what bgsm1th said is all you need lol.
Plyometrics kicked my ass numerous times...

but I do more running now so I may tackle it again soon.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:29 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Originally Posted by ILLustriousUA6
^ real talk, go to barnes and noble and check out Arnold's encyclopedia..

He is AMAZING.
I might just do that.

Originally Posted by princelybug
Sean, it may be a bit late, but starting off with P90 isn't a bad idea for almost anybody.
eh, I already started p90x. lol.

Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
Plyometrics kicked my ass numerous times...

but I do more running now so I may tackle it again soon.
yeah, that had me sweating like no other. I've got Kempo tomorrow, and a rest day, then week one will be over.
I think I'll run my rest day... maybe...

Quick Reply: P90x and P90x2