Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Fitness Trackers...

Old 05-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Fitness Trackers...

Anyone have anything that keeps track of your motions? Something like the Nike Fuel band, Jawbone One, or any of the such?

I just recently picked up the Fitbit Flex. My biggest problem is my job. Very little motivation around me, and even less time to do stuff.

I only have it for a few days now, but it's helping me pay more attention to everything I'm doing. I'm also keeping track on just how bad I've been sleeping recently. There are times that I spend most of the night tossing and turning, getting like an hour's worth of sleep. According to this, I'm sleeping for a little under 7 hours, and so far have been waking up between 15-20 times a night, which is about right...

So, what do you think about these little gadgets?
Old 06-24-2013, 03:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
i was actually looking into this. im debating between nike fuel band and fitbit flex, my pockets are too full to put something in there and i already wear two holsters on my hip, don't need more crap so i want something on the wrist.

any reason you choice flex over fuelband? and its been about a month, any update?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I had the jawbone when it first came out...but they had a lot of issues and mine was one of them so I returned it. I also didn't like jawbone's implementation at the time...such as OK...I'm sleeping crappy...what does this data mean and how do I improve.

This was over a year ago, so hopefully they've all gotten better.

I would be willing to try again but they aren't good or made for tracking my most frequent activities now which are yoga and biking.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
I've been wearing a Fitbit Flex since December last year, other than the tan line I love it. It definitely motivates you to move more, even at work going to the further bathroom or taking the long way to get there. Before wearing it I found it easy to say to myself "Eh, a few minutes on the couch won't hurt", now I can measure whether or not I was lazy throughout the day, so I stand much more often and pace around instead of sitting down. I also got their scale, it's pretty neat to track your weight automatically to the app and it's all wireless. The bodyfat feature doesn't seem 100% accurate but it's still good for tracking trends, I've lost 30+ lbs since using Fitbit, I had lost some weight before that but felt like I was stagnating. It's more of a motivator than anything, I also added a few coworkers as friends on it so we do compete too.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 350
I've been wearing a Fitbit Flex since December last year, other than the tan line I love it. It definitely motivates you to move more, even at work going to the further bathroom or taking the long way to get there. Before wearing it I found it easy to say to myself "Eh, a few minutes on the couch won't hurt", now I can measure whether or not I was lazy throughout the day, so I stand much more often and pace around instead of sitting down. I also got their scale, it's pretty neat to track your weight automatically to the app and it's all wireless. The bodyfat feature doesn't seem 100% accurate but it's still good for tracking trends, I've lost 30+ lbs since using Fitbit, I had lost some weight before that but felt like I was stagnating. It's more of a motivator than anything, I also added a few coworkers as friends on it so we do compete too.

+1, especially to the bolded statement. After wearing it for a week and realizing how few steps I actually take on average, I started making excuses to walk anywhere and everywhere. Even stopped looking for parking spots close to where I'm going, just so I'd get more steps in and walk farther.

After doing quite a bit of research, I decided to go with the Withings Pulse O2.

Does the same things as the other trackers - step count, sleep analysis, heart rate AND blood-oxygen level. The tracker (the black slab) pops out, so you can either wear it on a clip or with the wrist band (I got the black one). It's pretty classy-looking tracker. With the display off, it's a completely black slab. The tracker syncs to iPhones/Androids, and the app is pretty functional.

Down the line, I might consider the FitBit or the Jawbone though.