TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Washing your TL

Old 05-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Stock TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fossa Dei Leoni
Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but I will like to know what Zaino is and who do you use it.
I'm new at the detailing, my buddies got a silver 330i and purchased the Zaino kit. Based on his assessment, Zaino works best for darker color vehicles to get the ultimate wet look. A factor to consider is your vehicle condition and color. Got a lot or swirl marks to remove, etc?

Zaino is a brand with multiple steps to detail a vehicle. Google zaino for their store for more info.

Here's another thread to read.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=zaino
Old 05-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Stock TL

Originally Posted by dmarcus48
check out www.autopia.org

I use what you've listed, except I don't use dawn, the clay and aio will take off any wax that's on the car.

This is what I do:

clay bar (doesn't matter what kind).
one coat of aio
2-3 coats of sg (put it on very thin, wait a couple of hours between coats, if you put it on too heavy use some detail spray to take it off)
When I'm done, I put on a coat of P21S for gloss and depth (this stuff will only last for about a month), straight carnuba wax, no cleaners.

Silver is a tough color, what do you think about this?

I'm also experimenting with some wheel wax, aio is also good for wheels.

I've never used Zaino, but probably will give it a try this summer.
sweet ride.. thanks for the pix

does water bead off the SG? I throught SG last longer than 1 month.. damn the false ads
Old 05-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The sg does last more than a month, more like 5 or 6 months. Its the P21S that only will last about a month.

And yes water will bead like crazy.

I usually give my car the "treatment" every month or two, I enjoy doing it.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by FreeIsGood
I'm new at the detailing, my buddies got a silver 330i and purchased the Zaino kit. Based on his assessment, Zaino works best for darker color vehicles to get the ultimate wet look. A factor to consider is your vehicle condition and color. Got a lot or swirl marks to remove, etc?

Zaino is a brand with multiple steps to detail a vehicle. Google zaino for their store for more info.

Here's another thread to read.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=zaino

Thank you
Old 05-21-2006, 01:01 AM
4th Gear

check out www.autopia.org

I use what you've listed, except I don't use dawn, the clay and aio will take off any wax that's on the car.

This is what I do:

clay bar (doesn't matter what kind).
one coat of aio
2-3 coats of sg (put it on very thin, wait a couple of hours between coats, if you put it on too heavy use some detail spray to take it off)
When I'm done, I put on a coat of P21S for gloss and depth (this stuff will only last for about a month), straight carnuba wax, no cleaners.
this is pretty much the same routine that i follow... Klasse AIO and SG works wonders. however SG is so hard to take off. i really need to invest in an orbital buffer. and P21S is some of the best carnauba wax that i've used so far.

it's been about a month since the last wax job, and the water still beads up for me... i've just been too lazy lately to do it all again... maybe i need to get around to that.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fossa Dei Leoni
Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but I will like to know what Zaino is and who do you use it.
Zaino is one of the more popular product lines used by AZ members. It is a synthetic (polymer) sealant and they offer a complete line of products to maintain and upkeep your vehicle's interior/exterior. Click here to find more info on the product line. Here's an interesting thread from the Wash & Wax Forum about "The Best". Oops!, ya got that link already.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by thanh523
this is pretty much the same routine that i follow... Klasse AIO and SG works wonders. however SG is so hard to take off. i really need to invest in an orbital buffer. and P21S is some of the best carnauba wax that i've used so far.

it's been about a month since the last wax job, and the water still beads up for me... i've just been too lazy lately to do it all again... maybe i need to get around to that.
If the SG is hard to take off, then you're using too much. You really only need the thinnest of coats, so thin you don't even think it's going on. If you do put too much on, use some detailing spray on the sg and it'll come off. I have a porter cable, hardly ever use it.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:01 PM
4th Gear

If the SG is hard to take off, then you're using too much. You really only need the thinnest of coats, so thin you don't even think it's going on. If you do put too much on, use some detailing spray on the sg and it'll come off. I have a porter cable, hardly ever use it.

wanna send me your porter cable? haha
Old 05-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Pro

lol, no i think i'll keep it.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used SG before and sometimes it can be a bear to work with compared to other sealants like EX-P and UPP. I've applied it with a PC/finishing pad set at 3, and still requires a QD on a MF towel to buff it out. Don't take this as a bad rap about SG, it is still one of the most durable products on the market. And AIO is a still a hell of a cleaner.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Pro

If you're using a pc to put sg on, then you're using too much. I put it on by hand and still get too much on sometimes. You should just be able to see a slight haze when putting on a coat, it's really a very light coat, so light that you don't even think anything is getting on, but it is.

I'll use the pc to take stuff off, but unless I'm buffing out some scratches, I don't use it to put stuff on.

Even in the zaino instructions they tell you not to use a pc to put it on. They say you'll use enough to soak the pad as you would to do the whole car.

Very tiny amounts.

If I'm really going crazy I'll wait an hour or two and put on another coat of sg, most I've ever had on a car was six coats, and then p21s.

Dave
Old 06-05-2006, 08:10 PM
7th Gear

zaino leathe cleaner

everyone is talking about using this but not sure if anyone mentioned the perforated holes? So is this zaino leather cleaner liquied or cream or something else. The reason i ask is some of these products get stuck in those perforated holes. So what is the best zaino leather cleaner and what type so that I do not waste time like my friend who is still trying to remove the cream from the perforate holes.

Question summarized: what type of leather cleaner by zaino in case they do make the zaino leather cream. Thank you all.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:56 AM
TLove

this thread is great, lots off good info on products to use, but i have some questions:

for drying the car: microfiber towels vs. chamois, which is better? and where do you guys purchase them? (are the ones purchased at pepboys, autozone, strauss auto, good or cheap quality?)

what do you guys prefer to use to wash the car? wool mits? whatelse?

thanks in advance!

p.s. just picked up an 06 anthracite TL....im in love...
Old 07-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JetblackTL
everyone is talking about using this but not sure if anyone mentioned the perforated holes? So is this zaino leather cleaner liquied or cream or something else. The reason i ask is some of these products get stuck in those perforated holes. So what is the best zaino leather cleaner and what type so that I do not waste time like my friend who is still trying to remove the cream from the perforate holes.

Question summarized: what type of leather cleaner by zaino in case they do make the zaino leather cream. Thank you all.
I perfer lexol leather cleaner. 303 protectant also gives the leather a wonderful feel and look.....not shiny just soft.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Drunkenmunky23
this thread is great, lots off good info on products to use, but i have some questions:

for drying the car: microfiber towels vs. chamois, which is better? and where do you guys purchase them? (are the ones purchased at pepboys, autozone, strauss auto, good or cheap quality?)

thanks in advance!

I've used waffle weave microfiber towels, chamois, those absorbers, and regular cotton towels. My favorites are the waffle weave and a regular towel. You have to be careful no matter what you use, if the towel has any dirt on it, it WILL scratch your car or create swirls. This is why I got a silver car this time. I have a neighbor who's as crazy as I am (we wash together sometimes ;-) ), he loves black on black cars as I do. No matter how careful you are you're going to get fine lines on the car.

If you drop the towel on the ground, don't use it until it's been washed. Also with microfiber I've heard that you shouldn't use a fabric softener, don't know why.

With washing I got something called a grit guard, which is a grid that fits into a 5 gallon bucket, it's about 3 inches high and keeps the dirt on the bottom of the bucket away from your sponge or mitt. I know some don't like sponges, I've used mitts, don't see much difference, just make sure which ever you use is clean. It's the little pieces of dirt that'll cause a scratch or swirl.

One more thing, if you use microfiber towels for drying or detailing, make sure you take off those stupid tags, they'll scratch too.

Bottom line is if you're going to drive the car you're going to get scratches and chips, I just try not to cause them myself.

Dave
Old 07-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by lembowski
I perfer lexol leather cleaner. 303 protectant also gives the leather a wonderful feel and look.....not shiny just soft.
I'll second the lexol and 303 votes. Both are great stuff. Just recently tried the 303 and it works great. I like that fact that it'll work on anything.

Dave
Old 07-16-2006, 12:46 AM
10th Gear

Dawn

Do you use Dawn full strenght or mix it in a gallon of water? What are the ratios?
Thanks
Old 07-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Pro

For drying your car, try "The Absorber", available at most auto parts places, Wal-Mart , etc. I used to work a warehouse when I was 16 for the guy who created and distributes it. Turned me on to it, and never used anything else. It picks up water like crazy, and then rings out to be almost fully dry. I like it a lot.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:01 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Drunkenmunky23

thanks in advance!

I just finished reading the sections on microfiber (MF) cloths in the "how-to" section Autopia Car Care. It stated the following:
Comparatively, microfibers are two times finer than silk, three times finer than cotton, eight times finer than wool, and one hundred times finer than a human hair. Currently, there are four types of synthetic microfibers being produced. These include acrylic, nylon, polyester and rayon. In this article, I will be discussing the most common blend of microfiber material used in automotive detailing applications; nylon and polyester.

Given that the MF cloth is of good quality, why are people still using wool mittens to wash their TLs? I could have misinterpretted what I read. The entire article can be found here. I hope this helps with answering your question.I'm going to try and find good quality MF cloth for washing and drying. So far I've found MF cloths at Costco. It is a 24 pack of "Ultra-Soft 16"x16" MicroFiber Auto Cloths". It's 80% polyester and 20% polymide... still looking for the 70%/30% blend. Decisions.... decisions.... so many choices, not enough clear coat to try them out on.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:52 PM
3rd Gear

Using Zaino sparingly

Originally Posted by chipplaysdrums
Just another question about the Zaino products- I notice that a lot of waxes tell you to wet/damp your cloth while putting on the wax/polish. Do you have to do the same for the Zaino (ie.-Z2)?
I use Zaino Z3 and Z5 (the brown bottle and the pink bottle). The secret in applying the stuff is to use it sparingly. You only need a very thin coat. It comes off very easy if you don't let it dry with white squirl marks. I leave only a thin white haze.

The secret to applying a thin coat is to use a moist cotton pad. The key here is that the applicator is moist. I find that I use the prewax cleaner (brown bottle) more than the actual wax (pink bottle).
Old 08-16-2006, 10:54 PM
3rd Gear

Using Zaino sparingly

Originally Posted by chipplaysdrums
Just another question about the Zaino products- I notice that a lot of waxes tell you to wet/damp your cloth while putting on the wax/polish. Do you have to do the same for the Zaino (ie.-Z2)?
I use Zaino Z3 and Z5 (the brown bottle and the pink bottle). The secret in applying the stuff is to use it sparingly. You only need a very thin coat. It comes off very easy if you don't let it dry with white squirl marks. I leave only a thin white haze.

The secret to applying a thin coat is to use a moist cotton pad. The key here is that the applicator is moist. I find that I use the prewax cleaner (brown bottle) more than the actual wax (pink bottle). Using this process, I can wash, dry, and wax my car in one hour.

I find that if you wax with Zaino everytime you wash your car, the polymer wax will accumulate overtime. I wash once a month and live in Southern California. The car is garaged everynight.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:54 AM
I SAID GOOD DAY!!

When you wash your car only do a quater at a time. That way you don't have soap streaks. When it comes to your windows after your done drying your car use what ever glass cleaner you want. Works for me.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:10 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
waching is an ART!

The first thing to do before cleaning, is to get all the elements needed.

1-Boiler
2-Water
3-Chamoi (dont know how to say in english help me french people)
4-Dish washer soap + Car soap
5-A tissu glove
6-A good pressure gun or controled pressur gun

The steps aren't complicated....

1- First, you put the tepid water in the bucket
2- Add some dish washer soap or (whatever soap u want) while adding the water
3- Rinse the car
4- Wach the top of the car
5- Rinse
6- Wach all the windows
7- Rinse
8- Wach the butt
9- Rinse
10-Wach half of one side
11-Rinse
12-Wach the other half
13-Rinse
14-Wach the hood
15-Rinse
16-Wach the front + grill
17-Rinse
18-Wach the half of the other side
19-Rinse
20-Wach the rest of the other side
21-Put some very Hot WATER in a clean bucket and put the chamoi inside for 5min
22-Remove the gun and rinse the car from top to bottom
23-Dry the chamoi with ur hands and then dry the car with it
22-Always put the chamoi in hot water before dryin another part
23-ALWAYS BEGIN from TOP 2 BOTTOM!, always do CENTER --> SIDE (no CERCLE)
24-Use another tissu + clean water to clean the mags + wheels
25-Dry the trunk + door interior + gaz door
26-Watch I/O windows with BonAmi or whatever u like (BoneAmi is the best)
27-Move the car to a sunny place let dry the tires for a while (go get a sip of beer)
28-Put some gloves, Apply the "armor all" on tires
For armor all, always do 3/4 of the 4 tires and then move the car a little and do the other 1/4 so you wont miss a spot :-)
(the bottom of the tire is more crushed because of the weight)
29-Then Wacth the result.... and ejoy !!!!!!

If you guys have questions, I'll be happy to answer!!
Been a while Im wachin my cars and friends cars. Feels like when ur car is clean it's rollin better
Old 06-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Intermediate

How about letting some shop wash it for you then you won't have this problem anymore...
Old 06-02-2007, 02:37 AM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
meguair gold class wash is the best way to go! and ur hands feel good afterward too
Old 06-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Babygee

Touchless car wash my savior

We have a 07 TL S-series and a 2005 MDX. I have always brought my cars to the "touchless" carwashes. They are about 7 bucks, nothing physically touches the car , and they always dry spotless!!! They are really awesome (bird droppings, dead bugs, all come off). I wouldn't bring my brand new car there if I didn't believe that...
Washing at home can cause awful spots because of minerals in the water (hard water, lime, iron) - it comes out just awful!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:09 AM
6th Gear

Washing

I find that washing a quarter at a time and rinse is the best way. I also found that, believe it or not, using the new Mr. Clean hose attachment is great. It has a setting that utilizes filters that remove the minerals from the water. After rinsing with regular water you then rinse with the filtered water. Car comes out great with no water spots or trauma to the finish.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Racer

can Zaino product be purchase locally?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:28 AM
Registered Nutsack

Je ne pas Francais(I'm not French) but just FYI, Chamois is pronounced "SHAMMY".
And Shammy's are ok for drying but aren't worth the price tag. Get yourself a Cali water blade and a waffle weave microfiber towel - dries in 1/2 the time and lintless. Also, vinegar, water, a spray bottle, and newspaper is all you need for glass - why spend $6 on streaky crap when white vinegar is streakless, cleans everything, and is like 79cents for a gallon.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Registered Nutsack

Oh and zaino can be purchased locally depending where you live. Go to www.zainobros.com and do a vendor search. You're basically screwed if your from Jersey but what else is new, heh.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Instructor

lately it seems that all but once, i have broken a nail off, usually when i'm washing in the indented part down the side of the car, i think i'm just not paying attention to the turn signal coming up.. blonde thing i guess
Old 06-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

Check out P21s Car wax and Klasse all-in one paint cleaner also, this stuff is "EXCELLENT"...and take's minimal time to apply!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:23 PM
NPB TL FTW

guys after reading a thread on my local forum, dishwasher = bad

it's been said and well known in the detailing business.. Dishwasher is a degreaser. It will take any wax off.. and some protection that your car came originally with.

The only time a detailer uses dishwasher is to remove wax.. then wash it again with car soap. And do a full detail on it.

Another frequent problem with dishwasher soap is that.. it's a strong degreaser.. so it takes more time to wash off. try it.. wash your hands with regular soap and dishwashing soap... you'll know what I mean. So if not taken completly.. under sunlight.. say goodbye to your clear coat and welcome to paint haze and peeling.

but hey.. if it works for a decade for a few people.. then good for them.
Dishwashing soap is great to remove everything off your paint for detailing, the problem is that it also removes 99.99% of the brand of waxes and sealants out there and it also removes the precious oils in your paint that will make the paint crack and harden prematurely.

Guys your dealing with people who educate dealerships and so called carwash places how to use their products and equipment properly. Its the wild wild west out there when it comes to car care in Montreal !
Old 02-15-2008, 12:29 PM
2006 Acura TL

Interior Cleaning

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Go buy some microfiber towels. They are soft enough for the dashboard. I use the Zaino leather cleaner. I put a nickel-sized drop on the cloth, rub it in, and go back and forth to let it soak into the dashboard (the soft cushiony part). For the display panels (radio, speedometer, etc.), I use cotton swabs to get around the tight areas with a dab of the leather cleaner on it.

Hope that helped.

If I may add some helpful advice. I used to details cars as a secondary job and worked on a lot of exotics. For the real close cleaning for dash and all of the cracks, a simple narrow paint brush will do the job followed right behind with a good vaccum. This will allow you to neatley get into all of the nicks and crannies of a car and suck it up with out spreading it around and leaving anything behind. Then you want to wipe everything dow with a cleaner, whatever your choice may be. I liked to use a diluted simple green as it was bio-friednly. I then would let that dry and then finish with a 3m product(when it was out), but anything will do fine. I try to stay away from AmourAll as it is water base and does not work for me.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VmtSquad
The first thing to do before cleaning, is to get all the elements needed.

1-Boiler
2-Water
3-Chamoi (dont know how to say in english help me french people)
4-Dish washer soap + Car soap
5-A tissu glove
6-A good pressure gun or controled pressur gun

The steps aren't complicated....

1- First, you put the tepid water in the bucket
2- Add some dish washer soap or (whatever soap u want) while adding the water
3- Rinse the car
4- Wach the top of the car
5- Rinse
6- Wach all the windows
7- Rinse
8- Wach the butt
9- Rinse
10-Wach half of one side
11-Rinse
12-Wach the other half
13-Rinse
14-Wach the hood
15-Rinse
16-Wach the front + grill
17-Rinse
18-Wach the half of the other side
19-Rinse
20-Wach the rest of the other side
21-Put some very Hot WATER in a clean bucket and put the chamoi inside for 5min
22-Remove the gun and rinse the car from top to bottom
23-Dry the chamoi with ur hands and then dry the car with it
22-Always put the chamoi in hot water before dryin another part
23-ALWAYS BEGIN from TOP 2 BOTTOM!, always do CENTER --> SIDE (no CERCLE)
24-Use another tissu + clean water to clean the mags + wheels
25-Dry the trunk + door interior + gaz door
26-Watch I/O windows with BonAmi or whatever u like (BoneAmi is the best)
27-Move the car to a sunny place let dry the tires for a while (go get a sip of beer)
28-Put some gloves, Apply the "armor all" on tires
For armor all, always do 3/4 of the 4 tires and then move the car a little and do the other 1/4 so you wont miss a spot :-)
(the bottom of the tire is more crushed because of the weight)
29-Then Wacth the result.... and ejoy !!!!!!

If you guys have questions, I'll be happy to answer!!
Been a while Im wachin my cars and friends cars. Feels like when ur car is clean it's rollin better

Thats alot of steps.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dishsoap will never touch my cars. EVER!

I cant believe so many of you use it.

I have been a professional detailer for 10 years.

1996 TL

1998 5.9L Limited

I wash with car wash soap if needed, usually just plain water.

I clay bar, buff and wax them 1x per year. Wax about 4x/yr with Collinite Paste Wax . It is hands down, the most durable wax on the market. PROVEN!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Cruisin'

VERY NICE!

1998 5.9L Limited
Old 02-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=dichro67s]VERY NICE!

1998 5.9L Limited

Thanks! She is my pride and joy!
Old 08-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Racer

Has anyone ever used PRO products, particularly a product called BUG GUARD? It claims to help with rock chips bugs etc. It looks like a gel like substance in the bottle, the claims sound good but I'm curious how it will look after it is applied, also it says to remove after 30 days of being on vehicle, I wonder what that means??
Old 10-31-2008, 07:50 PM
3rd Gear

It really up to you. I barely got my TL, so I keep it clean. I try to wash it every week, just so it doesnt get to dirty. I use Meguirres products. Its a little expensive, but if you want to keep your vehicle lookn clean I suggest get the good stuff. Meguirres is top of the line for me. STRONGLY SUGGEST IT!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Washing your TL