TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Washing your TL

Old 04-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washing your TL

Alright, I plead ignorance. I suck at washing cars. I'm always left with streaks, soap, or the dirt just doesn't all come off. What do you guys do and what products do you think are best?

Does anyone think soft cloth car washes like Mike's Carwash are bad?
Old 04-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wonderboy
Alright, I plead ignorance. I suck at washing cars. I'm always left with streaks, soap, or the dirt just doesn't all come off. What do you guys do and what products do you think are best?

This is what I do when my car gets really dirty..

Wash your car with a dish washing detergent (eg. Dawn). It should get most of the dirt off while also stripping the car of its current layer of wax. Then wash your car with Meguiars Crystal Deep car soap. Use a leaf blower to blow the water off your car ( Thanks Hyde..got the idea from him ) and then quickly dry your car with a microfiber towel. You can get a whole bunch of these towels at Target for pretty cheap. Then I use Mothers Cleaner Wax, Polish, and Glaze. Instead of using the Mothers Polish and Glaze, you can use Zaino.

I don't trust anyone cleaning my car but me. There may be a possibility of you find a flaw after you go to a carwash (eg. Mike's Carwash).

Hope this helped..
Old 04-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Instructor

So you wax your car every time you wash it? How often and how long does that take? A few hours I'd imagine.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
When my car is really dirty, or once it's spring time, I use Dawn to thoroughly clean the car. This will get nearly all of dirt and old wax/polish off the paint. This means there's nothing on top of the clearcoat. I consider that my playground.

After washing with Dawn, I use a clay bar to remove any remaining residue on the paint. This could include anything from tar to old wax, whatever.

After the clay bar process, I wash it with Dawn one more time. After that, I use the Zaino car wash to give it another wash.

After that, I use Z2, Z5 and/or Z7 Gloss Enhancer. Zaino takes a long time when compared to other wax/polish products, but it's well worth the time.

www.zainostore.com for more information. Best stuff you will ever put on your car.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Instructor

What kind of sponge do you use to apply the Dawn? Also, how much Dawn are you mixing with water?
Old 04-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Keep this thread going. I want all the dirt, so to speak. Also, could you offer a time reference: i.e. do I have the time to see this all through during my kids' afternoon naps?
Old 04-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Banned

So you wax your car every time you wash it? How often and how long does that take? A few hours I'd imagine.
No..you said in your first post that there was some dirt you could not get off. Using Dawn should get most of that off..I'm guessing maybe those damn bugs on your front bumper? I hate those the most..but if you give it a good ol' light scrub, it should all come off.

All the other times, I skip using the Dawn and go straight to washing my car with the Meguiars Crystal Deep soap.

Total time would be about 2-2 1/2 hours. And I only do this step once a month..and all the other times, I just wash my car with the Meguiars Crystal Deep soap. I have also heard the California Gold Car soap from Mothers works very good as well.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by Tristero
Keep this thread going. I want all the dirt, so to speak. Also, could you offer a time reference: i.e. do I have the time to see this all through during my kids' afternoon naps?

Well, when I do the whole process, it usually takes the entire afternoon. But to most people, it's overkill. If you do the following process only, it should only take a couple of hours...

Dawn, car wash detergent, wax, cure (just let it sit so the wax can harden and have time to cure), then wax, cure, wax, cure, however many times you want to do it. The more the better.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:22 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Dawn, car wash detergent, wax, cure (just let it sit so the wax can harden and have time to cure), then wax, cure, wax, cure, however many times you want to do it. The more the better.
Hi. I think you need to clarify this. First off, it;s great that you use Zaino. And that is obviously why you can apply so many coats in one day. You "may" jave given the questioner the impression that they can also apply multipe waz layers in the same fashion, thereby providing months and months worth of protection. You need to be clear that you are using Zaino, the polymer and when you say - wax, cure etc ..that you arent really using wax.

Geez, I may have just clouded the answer here - but maybe its a good starting point to explain the processes of cleaning, waxing, etc . . ?
Old 04-04-2004, 11:37 PM
Dragging knees in

Zaino is not a wax. I only said wax in the previous post because Tristero may use wax instead of a polymer like Zaino.

You can only apply so many coats of Zaino on a given day. And it varies depending on temperature, wind speed, humidity, thickness of coat applied, etc. It may sound complicated, but it really isn't.

And no, it won't last forever. You have to keep washing and applying more coats as time goes by. I typically do about 2 coats a week (during the warm seasons, of course), and doing a Dawn wash every 2-3 months, depending on where you live.

Once again, to satisfy Homer's inquisitive mind , Zaino is NOT a wax. It's a polymer. But the way you apply it is much the same as applying wax.

Sorry for the confusion if anyone was confused by my statement. I only said wax because I figured it's the "universal term". Not everyone understands when someone says "polymer", but they do understand wax. And since they are applied in a similar method, I just figured I would use the universal term in order to avoid confusing anyone. But I see that it may have just caused more confusion in itself. :-/

Oh, well.

P.S. Homer, I do see that you're a Zaino distributor.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try using the new mr clean no dry system, it works really good. tried it once, now i alwaise use it to wash my car. i wax maybe every month or so, and clay my car when the paint starts to feel rough. My car is alwaise clean, and my paint job feels like glass, unlike brand new cars that are left outside the dealer all the time, if you run your fingers across the paint it feels rough.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up Keep this thread going!!

Thanks for starting this thread wonderboy. Now that I am an owner, I am picking up much!!! A couple more questions, which probably seem obvious.

1) When you write about using "clay" to cover rough spots, could you help me to understand why? (i.e. what benefits) and how difficult is this?

2) Also, I get the difference between Zaino and Wax. Are they mutuall exclusive? IN other words, if I used Zaino for several months and decide it is too difficult, can I wash it off and then add wax? Or, the reverse? Also, beyond the obvious benefits for appearance, I am presuming wax/polymer has the effect of improving the vehicle's long-term durability?

3) What about your leather? and cloth inside? What do you use?

thanks again! This is very helpful!!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Racer

Yea, this thread's been helpful for me to since I'm planning on doing the whole dawn, clay, wash, ... etc on my car as soon as schools over. I too got some questions...

1. Does zaino also work as a polish? Since my car is black, i got lots of swirl marks from the winter that i want to get rid of?

2. Approximately how many layers of polish and wax would you guys put on? enough so that its not too much or too little?
Old 04-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Dragging knees in

Tristero --

There are road debris and dirt that even Dawn can't wash off sometimes. That's where a clay bar will come in handy. When you are sliding it over the paint, you will feel that the clay is getting stuck and is hard to slide. That means the clay bar is picking up the dirt, tar, whatever. It's really fun and satisfying to use.

As for switching from Zaino to wax, or vice versa, yeah, it can be done. That's not a problem at all.

For the interior, I use the Zaino leather cleaner. It makes the car smell brand new, and it works like a charm.

hangbok --

Yep, Zaino is also a polish. Z-5 Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches can do some magic for ya.

As for the layers, this is the tricky part. Some people say they will put on no more than 2 coats per day, but I've heard of some people do as many coats as possible, as long as it dries quickly. Personally, I wouldn't do more than two a day, because even though it may be dried, it still needs time to cure fully.

IMO, there's no such thing as "too much wax". You can do as many coats as you want, as long as you are making sure along the way that each coat has plenty of time to dry, cure and is done properly.

If you decide to try Zaino, you will be amused when it first rains. So cool.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Tristero --
If you decide to try Zaino, you will be amused when it first rains. So cool.
why? what happens?? dang, now i'm curious. Thanks for the info. Can't wait till I get to wash my car now.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Dragging knees in

Just the way it beads water and the water sits on the car... It shows you that Zaino is indeed different from other products.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Go USC Gamecocks!

Just another question about the Zaino products- I notice that a lot of waxes tell you to wet/damp your cloth while putting on the wax/polish. Do you have to do the same for the Zaino (ie.-Z2)?
Old 04-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by chipplaysdrums
Just another question about the Zaino products- I notice that a lot of waxes tell you to wet/damp your cloth while putting on the wax/polish. Do you have to do the same for the Zaino (ie.-Z2)?
It's up to you. Some people spray a mist of the Gloss Enhancer on the applicator pad when they are applying Z2 or Z5 on the car. It makes it glide smoother, providing more even spread, I suppose. But I've never done it that way. I just make sure that the applicator pad is clean and soft, and use only Z2 or Z5, whatever I'm using at the time, then finish off with the Gloss Enhancer.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Advanced

I have NBP TL-S and it's very difficult to take car of. I've never waxed my car since I bought it 1 year ago. I want to clay bar, wax, etc... during spring break. I don't think I can handle the Zaino steps (I am new at waxing). Is meguiars easier and less expensive? What do you recommend for first time users?

Also, my car collects huge amounts of dust. If I leave it parked in the garage, at school, in parking lots in the mall, when I come back to my car, It's covered with dust particles. How can I prevent this?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Dragging knees in

No. 1 -- Your car has an unusual amount of static electricity.

No. 2 -- It's your color and it just looks like it collects more dust than other cars.

Either way, do the Dawn wash process and see what happens. If you don't want to do the Zaino, then get Meguiar's. You can do spray wax, if you want. It's a lot easier than hard wax for beginners.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Pro

If you want all your questions answered go directly to the source of auto cleaning gurus

http://www.autopia.org
Old 04-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HeavenLy TL-S
I have NBP TL-S and it's very difficult to take car of. I've never waxed my car since I bought it 1 year ago. I want to clay bar, wax, etc... during spring break. I don't think I can handle the Zaino steps (I am new at waxing). Is meguiars easier and less expensive? What do you recommend for first time users?

Also, my car collects huge amounts of dust. If I leave it parked in the garage, at school, in parking lots in the mall, when I come back to my car, It's covered with dust particles. How can I prevent this?
Keeping a fresh layer of wax on your car every month..2 times at most if it gets really dirty should take care of dust collecting on your car. I personally find the Mothers wax works better than the Meguiars but thats just my .02 Also, after you wax..put on a layer of a glosser and your car should almost look like you just zainoed it. I someday will finally give in and buy myself a bottle and try out the infamous Zaino..but until that day, Mothers works for me.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Racer

A lot of talk about Dawn stripping the wax off. Newbie that I am, I have always used this type of detergent to wash my cars. So for those times when you want to keep the wax on (between wax applications) what should you use to clean your car.

Next newbie question....what is the difference between wax and polish???

Get my car in a few weeks and want to start off knowing it all
Old 04-08-2004, 02:32 PM
the Budman

Question Interior cleaning

OK, I don't think we discussed the best methods and products for the interior. I just got my baby two weeks ago and we're in pollen season here in Atlanta. Everything is now pea green. There is some pollen in the car, so what's the best cleaner to use? I can't stand that shiney Armorall look. What do you guys use, Zaino products? What would you recommend (cloth-wise) to use on the radio display or Navi display to prevent scratching?

Any hints or tips? Also, where is the best place to get Zaino online?

Thanks,
Bud
Old 04-08-2004, 02:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fishacura
A lot of talk about Dawn stripping the wax off. Newbie that I am, I have always used this type of detergent to wash my cars. So for those times when you want to keep the wax on (between wax applications) what should you use to clean your car.

I'm a newbie at cleaning car too, but i'll give it a shot in trying to answer your question.

1. For washing your car, while wanting to keep the wax on , I believe you should use the Meguiar's Gold Class, which is a cheap good soap or other brands of "car wash" soap.

2. Polish will get rid of scratches, swirls, etc and will make the car shinier, while the wax will protect your paint while giving it a wet look.

I'm not sure if i've answered you correctly, but i hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by budman
OK, I don't think we discussed the best methods and products for the interior. I just got my baby two weeks ago and we're in pollen season here in Atlanta. Everything is now pea green. There is some pollen in the car, so what's the best cleaner to use? I can't stand that shiney Armorall look. What do you guys use, Zaino products? What would you recommend (cloth-wise) to use on the radio display or Navi display to prevent scratching?

Any hints or tips? Also, where is the best place to get Zaino online?

Thanks,
Bud
Go buy some microfiber towels. They are soft enough for the dashboard. I use the Zaino leather cleaner. I put a nickel-sized drop on the cloth, rub it in, and go back and forth to let it soak into the dashboard (the soft cushiony part). For the display panels (radio, speedometer, etc.), I use cotton swabs to get around the tight areas with a dab of the leather cleaner on it.

Hope that helped.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Banned

Only use Dawn when you want to clean the car+strip the car of its current layer of wax. When washing your car all the other times..buy yourself an "actual" car soap..Meguiars has a good line-up of washing detergents.

Polishes: Paint cleaners that removes paint discoloration and oxidization.
Wax: Paint cleaner with the addition of solvent resins to mask scratches and imitate what a “real” wax should do.

Hope this helped..also, you could refer to this site for tips on how/when to wash your car http://www.mothers.com/detailguide/detailguide.html
Old 04-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by `ill*tl
Wax: Paint cleaner with the addition of solvent resins to mask scratches and imitate what a “real” wax should do.

Thanks! You mention what a "real" wax should do. What is an example of a real wax? I see those 'Z' products but thought they weren't waxes...
Old 04-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Banned

Thanks! You mention what a "real" wax should do. What is an example of a real wax? I see those 'Z' products but thought they weren't waxes...
Ah, what I meant to say was that any wax should make any water that touches your car bead into little droplets.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Instructor

While washing the car, what type of sponge/towel are we recommending for wiping all the dirt off with the soapy water?
Old 04-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Instructor

what do you guys use to clean the front windshield from the inside?
Old 04-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Dragging knees in

While washing the car, what type of sponge/towel are we recommending for wiping all the dirt off with the soapy water?
Something like a lamb's wool mitten.. a THICK and soft one.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by tumas
what do you guys use to clean the front windshield from the inside?
A lintless towel and Windex. Just keep turning the towel so you don't get streaks on the window.

You can also use vinegar and water mix at 1:10 ratio and wipe with newspaper. But I hate the smell of vinegar and I wouldn't be able to sit there and mix it. But once it's mixed with water, it won't smell, so don't worry about having vinegar odor in your car.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:20 PM
10th Gear

There is an alternative to hard wax.....Meguiar's makes a 1-step and 3-step liquid wax solution, very easy to apply. To put it on just use the circular applicator pads (buff on), and to remove it simply take a chamois cloth and "sweep" it off the length of your car.

The best part about liquid wax it is that you don't have to wax your car in 12-14 different "sections" and buff off before the hard wax dries, liquid wax can be applied in literally 2 sections (right/left, or maybe front/back).....so in essence, you can give your car a 3-stage wax (strip, caranuba, wax) in the same time it takes someone using hard wax to apply ONE coat

....Unfortunately liquid wax doesn't last as long as a hard wax, but can easily be enhanced between waxing with a detailing spray (Meguiar's)....takes about 5-10 minutes. When applied once or twice a week (the detailing spray), your wax coat can last almost 6 months...
Old 04-11-2004, 03:49 AM
9th Gear

You guys kill me. If you really spend that much time on detailing your cars, when do you have time to drive them. Really, heres what you do to save a lot of time. Lease the TL. Bought my first TL in April of 02. Washed it a few times the first couple of months until the novelty wore off. When the new TL came out in 04 I just had to have it, but unfortunately I was a little to upside down on my trade. So to keep my interest in my TL-S, I waxed it for the first time in OCT. OF 03. Washing and waxing took me about 5hrs. I'll get to my point in just a bit. On March 27 of 04 I became the new proud owner or leasor if you may, of a bright and shiney new black and ebony TL. Love that new car smell. My sale Mgr. told me that the best trade in values are given to vehicles under 40,000 miles. My old TL had 33,000 miles and I hope to keep this one closer to the 40g mark, but who knows. That what so great about leasing. to my point, take your hourly wage and times it by the hours you guys spend wahing and waxing your vehicles and you will find that it turns out to be a lot more than the negative equity that you have with leasing. I know that leasing is not for everyone, and i do not get to trick out my car like some of you other TL owners, but I be the first one ready for that new 06 TL with 300 hp and AWD. LOVE THAT NEW CAR SMELL. Keep on scrubin guys.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Racer

OK moneybags. Whatever you say. Keep in mind we all can't afford a new car every 36 months. I agree people are fairly obsessed with the whole washing thing and to do anything to the exterior of your car 2-3 ties a week (short of owning a classic or 50k+ car) is ridiculous. But assuming someone can simply lease kind of assumes they may all have more disposable income than a lot of people have these days.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Obviously leasing is for those who know they'll want a new car every 3-4 years. In my case, I hope to pay my TL off in 4 years and drive it for another 5, and in the mean time save the full cash amount for the next car. No more car payments after this one is paid off.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by john zendarski
You guys kill me. If you really spend that much time on detailing your cars, when do you have time to drive them. Really, heres what you do to save a lot of time. Lease the TL. Bought my first TL in April of 02. Washed it a few times the first couple of months until the novelty wore off. When the new TL came out in 04 I just had to have it, but unfortunately I was a little to upside down on my trade. So to keep my interest in my TL-S, I waxed it for the first time in OCT. OF 03. Washing and waxing took me about 5hrs. I'll get to my point in just a bit. On March 27 of 04 I became the new proud owner or leasor if you may, of a bright and shiney new black and ebony TL. Love that new car smell. My sale Mgr. told me that the best trade in values are given to vehicles under 40,000 miles. My old TL had 33,000 miles and I hope to keep this one closer to the 40g mark, but who knows. That what so great about leasing. to my point, take your hourly wage and times it by the hours you guys spend wahing and waxing your vehicles and you will find that it turns out to be a lot more than the negative equity that you have with leasing. I know that leasing is not for everyone, and i do not get to trick out my car like some of you other TL owners, but I be the first one ready for that new 06 TL with 300 hp and AWD. LOVE THAT NEW CAR SMELL. Keep on scrubin guys.
See, you may think you're the smartest guy on the planet, but you're not.

My car is also leased. It will run up in July of 2005. Until then, it's my car. And I AM modifying it. I don't care if the dealership says they won't honor my warranty. When the lease runs up, and I return the car back in factory spec, it'll be their problem.

But then again, there's a strong possibility that I might buy it out at the end. Don't worry about finances, because I have it all worked out, and you don't have to lecture me on how I'm going to be losing money, because I am not. Also, whatever's wrong with my car, I can do it myself or take it to a friend's shop. The only two things I cannot do myself are electrical work and paint work. So if they don't want to honor the warranty, then hey, I'm not going to cry.

And it's not about washing and waxing just because you own the car. It's about taking care of your second or third most expensive investment (don't take that word literally). I want to keep my car in top shape, and it indeed is.

Some people take their cars a little more seriously than just a hunk of metal and fabric, which is the impression I'm getting of you. New car smell? My Zaino leather cleaner can provide that. I bet you money my interior will smell better than yours, and for the years to come, because I always detail my car, and you don't. Sooner or later, your great new car smell will wear off and you'll left wondering whether you should now get a new car or not, whereas our cars, while older than your fancy new ones, will most likely be in as good as, or in better, shape.

The following users liked this post:
DASS (01-21-2015)
Old 04-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Instructor

People are buying/leasing new cars for the smell???
Old 04-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Hey, why do you call the Prelude an oil burner?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Washing your TL