Would you buy a recalled TL right now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by roman_k90
I just bought a 2012 TL Tech 53,000miles. Single owner and he claims he had the airbag fixed in a day. No waiting for parts just drove in and the replaced the parts.
I got the car for what I think is a good deal $18.5 but how do can I be sure that it was fixed ??
You should be able to call Acura care and give them the VIN and they can check. I'd be highly skeptical of someone who said they "got it fixed in a day" as the parts have been on backorder for months.
Unless of course he was on the waiting list for months, don't take his word for it, call Acura.
If it's not fixed, get it fixed. It's not to be taken lightly. Expect to get a similar recall on your passenger side airbag too at some point.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
You should be able to call Acura care and give them the VIN and they can check. I'd be highly skeptical of someone who said they "got it fixed in a day" as the parts have been on backorder for months.
Unless of course he was on the waiting list for months, don't take his word for it, call Acura.
If it's not fixed, get it fixed. It's not to be taken lightly. Expect to get a similar recall on your passenger side airbag too at some point.
Agree with that it is always best to double check, call Acura or check the vin on the recalls website. However "got it fixed in a day" it is possible, it happened to me. After getting my SH-AWD I called my local dealer in MD and they had parts available, scheduled for the afternoon and got it fixed the same day.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
" Would you buy a recalled TL right now?"

Absolutely!

While I'm not sure that I'd buy another TL, my reasons not to buy a TL have nothing to do with the inflator recall. The car's lack of space is a bit difficult for me to over come. But, this has nothing to do with the recall. It's a fantastic car, IMO, and if it fits the bill, I'd grab one.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:01 PM
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
i just bought a recalled '09 sh for $16k at a acura dealership here in northern California. only 55k miles and had one owner with 0 accidents. by law the dealership HAS to perform all recall work before selling it. LOVING mine!!
Old 08-17-2016, 08:06 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bryan916
i just bought a recalled '09 sh for $16k at a acura dealership here in northern California. only 55k miles and had one owner with 0 accidents. by law the dealership HAS to perform all recall work before selling it. LOVING mine!!
By law? Not exactly... By Acura's demands, yes (Dealership is liable if anything happens because of the airbag). And they can only enforce this with Honda/Acura dealerships - They can't exactly tell another company what to do.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:04 AM
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CTNYC
By law? Not exactly... By Acura's demands, yes (Dealership is liable if anything happens because of the airbag). And they can only enforce this with Honda/Acura dealerships - They can't exactly tell another company what to do.
Oh didnt know that. The Acura dealership told me any recalls have to be taken care of before selling any cars and that it's illegal to sell without doing the work.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bryan916
Oh didnt know that. The Acura dealership told me any recalls have to be taken care of before selling any cars and that it's illegal to sell without doing the work.
What about the other airbags in the car. Is it true they're all likely to be recalled?
Old 08-24-2016, 09:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=btob7f;15789823]Would you buy a recalled TL right now? I'm considering a 2012 SH-AWD with Tech and would greatly appreciate any current owner input on whether you think it would be worth the hassle of dealing with the recall. It is from a non-Acura dealer, so I'd be on my own for the logistics of the fix.

Approx 3 months ago i looked at a similar TL at a Subaru dealer and they said it was against the law to sell the car until the recall was taken care of.... the part was on back order for months...
Old 08-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
[QUOTE=nole85;15833839]
Originally Posted by btob7f
Would you buy a recalled TL right now? I'm considering a 2012 SH-AWD with Tech and would greatly appreciate any current owner input on whether you think it would be worth the hassle of dealing with the recall. It is from a non-Acura dealer, so I'd be on my own for the logistics of the fix.

Approx 3 months ago i looked at a similar TL at a Subaru dealer and they said it was against the law to sell the car until the recall was taken care of.... the part was on back order for months...
Hmm... Maybe it's a state law then? Or a rule that the specific dealership group has? No clue, but many are selling around me at dealerships, from what I can tell...
Old 08-25-2016, 10:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by robster80
What about the other airbags in the car. Is it true they're all likely to be recalled?
most likely yeah. why would they put different airbag inflators in different parts of the car? Honda just doesnt want to take additional loss right now. (4 billion and counting...)
Old 08-26-2016, 08:17 AM
Instructor

most likely yeah. why would they put different airbag inflators in different parts of the car? Honda just doesnt want to take additional loss right now. (4 billion and counting...)
so it's likely this whole thing of being in a rental for months will likely happen again soon. I really hate Takata. I've been fixated on getting a 4g for years now. There's really no other vehicle I want tho I've considered a tlx. But seems like a really bad idea to consider the TL right now
Old 08-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Drifting

so it's likely this whole thing of being in a rental for months will likely happen again soon. I really hate Takata. I've been fixated on getting a 4g for years now. There's really no other vehicle I want tho I've considered a tlx. But seems like a really bad idea to consider the TL right now
Look at it this way. You could get a great deal on the car now, BECAUSE of the airbag issues. Get it fixed on the driver side. Keep people out of your passenger side(if possible). Get passenger side fixed once its recalled.
And then mayyybe do the same thing with the side airbags. I love my car but if I didn't already own a TL, I don't think i would buy another one.
I also don't think I could sell the car to anyone who was not aware of the airbag issue in good conscience. Some people think the airbag issue will never happen to them and its an
overreaction to think this way, but I tend to think that is a "ignorance is bliss" line of thought and I just dont think that way.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Look at it this way. You could get a great deal on the car now, BECAUSE of the airbag issues. Get it fixed on the driver side. Keep people out of your passenger side(if possible). Get passenger side fixed once its recalled.
And then mayyybe do the same thing with the side airbags. I love my car but if I didn't already own a TL, I don't think i would buy another one.
I also don't think I could sell the car to anyone who was not aware of the airbag issue in good conscience. Some people think the airbag issue will never happen to them and its an
overreaction to think this way, but I tend to think that is a "ignorance is bliss" line of thought and I just dont think that way.
arent most cars on the road affected by this though? Seems more and more r being recalled. Trying to find out what Acura is replacing the takatas with and one page said a different manufacturer and then another said more takatas are being used to replace the defective ones. At this point due to the deceptiveness of Takata I really don't wanna ride in a car that has any takatas in it. Defective ones or not.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Drifting

arent most cars on the road affected by this though? Seems more and more r being recalled. Trying to find out what Acura is replacing the takatas with and one page said a different manufacturer and then another said more takatas are being used to replace the defective ones. At this point due to the deceptiveness of Takata I really don't wanna ride in a car that has any takatas in it. Defective ones or not.
About 25 percent of cars I think. For the record, its the airbag inflators, not the airbags.
Whats kind of messed up is Honda/Acura knew about this issue for years, and still put it in their newer vehicles (2016 ILX and RDX). I've been getting recall notices on a Old CRV i had for about 2-3 years.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/new...icle-1.2602999

Last edited by SilverJ; 08-26-2016 at 05:24 PM.