Sponsored by: DashLynx

Would like to buy CPO TL, Need Advice/Input

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would like to buy CPO TL, Need Advice/Input

Good Evening A/Z!

I currently drive a '14 Infiniti Q50 AWD, and the lease is up in less than 6 months. I do not want to lease anymore and I am in the market for 2 possible CPO vehicles. The one that I think I really want is a '13-'14 TL SH-AWD 6MT. It appears to be a great compromise for someone who wants a sporty car w/ 4 doors and has a family. And it seems that they are very hard to come by, and when there is one available, I do not expect the dealer to budge on price much given the demand. So before I take out a 5 year note for approx. $30k I wanted to get consensus from the good people here about what I'm getting into.

- As far as I understand it, the '13/'14 AWD TL's are pretty reliable, except for those instances where the engine consumes oil at ridiculous rates. How big of a problem is this really? I'm assuming it doesn't happen all that much, otherwise it would be in the news.
-Has anyone ever experienced issues with the SH-AWD or is it pretty bulletproof?
-I'm also aware of the 2nd/3rd gear grind in the transmission, but I know it can be resolved with synchromesh/Red Line trans fluid (which I ended up doing on my '09 V6-6MT Accord back in the day with good results).

Is there anything else that I don't know that is characteristic of this car that has an unusually short life span?

If I can't get a 6MT version, I'm willing to take the 6AT, but I would definitely need to test drive it. My wife has a '15 RDX and I feel that the transmission is rubbery (rubber band like from a stop) in comparison to the trans in the Q50, which feels much more direct (instant engagement).

If the 6AT is a no-go, my alternative is '13 GS350 AWD CPO, but that car is more expensive, and I really don't want to spend $35k for a used car (I have mental reservations about paying that much for a car someone already drove).

Thanks for your input/advice,
yrmed
Old 07-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I think you did your homework and hit all the points with the AWD TL. I think someone said the 6MT is more prone to the oil consumption than the 6AT. The SHAWD also rides pretty stiff but coming from the Q50, you should be OK unless you are looking for smoother ride.

There is this crows feet paint problem on the dark colors. Make sure you inspect the paint carefully.

IMO $35k for a CPO GS350 is a pretty good price. Plus it's in a higher class of the TL. It's more refined and yet somewhat sporty.

If you can find a clean 6MT, go for it. Between the 6AT and GS350, I'd go with the GS though.
The following users liked this post:
forest (07-30-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
My wife has a '12 TL SH-AWD Tech with the 6AT, and it's an extremely precise shifting transmission. Much moreso than the one either on my previous '13 MDX SW-AWD or my current '15 RDX AWD Tech. When I go from my RDX to my wife's TL I always note how much stiffer the steering is and how crisply the transmission shifts - even with 26k miles on the odometer. And while the 6MT might be a more sporty driving experience, you can emulate it with the 6AT and the paddle shifters if you really want to have that feel. But overall, the SH-AWD w/AT is a blast to drive - you should give it a try. And also don't shy away from an off-lease '12 model. Ours has been bullet-proof thus far, and drives the same today as it did when we drove it off the lot.

andy
Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh
And while the 6MT might be a more sporty driving experience, you can emulate it with the 6AT and the paddle shifters if you really want to have that feel.
That's not really true. Using the paddle shifters is NOTHING like having the 6MT. OP, if you can find a 6MT in good shape. Drive it and you decide. I am not sure there has been anyone on this board who has driven the car and not bought it immediately (assuming it was a decent deal/in good shape).
The 6MT and AWD combination is really incredible.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you all for the constructive posts. I really am hoping to pick up the 6MT. My hope is that when I'm looking, a relatively local dealer will have one. I, like anyone, want a good deal, but don't mind spending just a little extra because I know that it will be good for 200k mi with proper upkeep. Don't want to jinx myself, but with a car like that, I feel like if something does go wrong (except the infotainment system), it won't cost nearly as much as its german competitors would cost to repair.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
The best way to see what fits you and find out which vehicle fits your needs and your family is to just shop around and test drive all the models that's mentioned on your wish list and go from there. When I purchased mine awhile back ago I feel as if the ACURA TL SH-AWD is the best All wheel drive in the market for the price. If you do some research(YouTube)on the SH-AWD system it's one of the best systems out there in my opinion. If your looking for cabin space for the Fam I would definitely go with the TL... Best of luck on your purchase...
Old 08-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by yrmed
Thank you all for the constructive posts. I really am hoping to pick up the 6MT. My hope is that when I'm looking, a relatively local dealer will have one. I, like anyone, want a good deal, but don't mind spending just a little extra because I know that it will be good for 200k mi with proper upkeep. Don't want to jinx myself, but with a car like that, I feel like if something does go wrong (except the infotainment system), it won't cost nearly as much as its german competitors would cost to repair.
The issue with the 6 speed is that they are very rare. Demand is very high relative to how many are available. As a result of that, it's REALLY hard to come by one local. Plus you are probably going to pay anywhere from 2-4000 more for a manual vs an automatic.
I personally had mine shipped to me from a dealer 800 miles from my house. Fortunately I lucked out and got a good one and everything fell into place.
Good luck to you. If you do elect to wait and you see one even remotely close to you, move very quickly. They only stay on the lot for a week tops and guys like me who have alerts set up on auto trader are on them as soon as they become available.