Where to take my TL for oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to take my TL for oil change?

Hi guys

I've recently got a TL, and now I've the alert for oil change that is on.

I was thinking to take it to Jiffy, but I was suggested to not do so, since I do not drive a truck but an Acura

Do you know any place where they put good quality oil in the south bay area? Heard that the 2 dealers (one in los gatos and another one in san jose, stevens creek) are not that great with their prices, so I am not really sure where to get my car serviced.

It is not under warranty anymore (altho I have the extended warranty), so I am not forced to have to do it at the dealer.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Does your Acura dealer have an express oil service? I basically have been taking my cars to the dealers for years now. Helps build the relationship and their prices are decent. Also I know they are using Honda oil filters, where Jiffy Lube will use cheapest things they can get.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 91 Posts
Take it to the dealer, its the cars they work on every day and might just catch something that jiffy lube or some other oil change place might not see.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
If you have extend warranty take it to the dealer. You can always pay $30 more for synthetic or buy your own and they will only charge $10 for the labor + car wash. Since you have Ext. Warranty, make sure you get your oil level monitor checked, mine went off after 500 miles of driving without any leaks or such. The tech on that monitor is just faulty sometimes and change it while you still have warranty will provide peace of mind. Otherwise it keeps saying pull over and do not drive.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
DIY or take it to the dealer.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:32 PM
8th Gear

Thanks guys for the reply.

I do not know if the dealership has an express oil service; I just read the reviews on Yelp and got quite bothered by the fact that they like to sell overpriced crap....the one on Stevens Creek follow the same pattern, looking at the reviews (and I am aware that Yelp is not perfect, but you can see certain patterns in the reviews; once you ignore the ones form people with 1 or 2 reviews).

I could do it on my own, but I have very little time honestly, plus I guess you gotta go to the dealer to reset that annoying reminder.

Also, today it started to say that the service code A123 is due soon; not really sure what is it, but I assume that is oil change and tire rotation, right?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:35 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Danyoung
If you have extend warranty take it to the dealer. You can always pay $30 more for synthetic or buy your own and they will only charge $10 for the labor + car wash. Since you have Ext. Warranty, make sure you get your oil level monitor checked, mine went off after 500 miles of driving without any leaks or such. The tech on that monitor is just faulty sometimes and change it while you still have warranty will provide peace of mind. Otherwise it keeps saying pull over and do not drive.
Not sure that the extended warranty will give me a discount But I will try.

I have the extra warranty for the electronic equipment, since I have the fancy one with the tech package; hopefully whatever needs to break will do it soon, while it is under warranty

I love technology, but it really come at the price of annoying you to death, when it won't work correctly
Old 05-12-2013, 12:47 AM
8th Gear

Found the A123 code; it seems that I need a transmission flush too, plus the cabin filter replacement.

At this point I have to take it to the dealer, to keep up with the extended warranty that I have purchased....the car is at 58K so I guess it is time to do the tranny flush (which is suggested at 60K, from what I can tell).

Happy birthday to the dealer; this sounds like a 400-500 dollars job right there
Old 05-12-2013, 07:11 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Does your Acura dealer have an express oil service? I basically have been taking my cars to the dealers for years now. Helps build the relationship and their prices are decent. Also I know they are using Honda oil filters, where Jiffy Lube will use cheapest things they can get.
I agree..

My dealers price for an oil change is very competitive with the fast lube places, but I take it to them mostly to build the relationship. I usually go to the dealer early on a Sat morning and from the time my car goes in the shop to when it's ready is approx 45 mins.

It also gives me a chance to "BS" a little with one of the business managers I've known for years.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:33 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by shinyknight
Found the A123 code; it seems that I need a transmission flush too, plus the cabin filter replacement.

At this point I have to take it to the dealer, to keep up with the extended warranty that I have purchased....the car is at 58K so I guess it is time to do the tranny flush (which is suggested at 60K, from what I can tell).

Happy birthday to the dealer; this sounds like a 400-500 dollars job right there
do your own filters! the dealer is going to charge you almost $200 for something so simple. spend $40 at the parts counter for the filters, go home after service spend 10 minutes swapping them out.

the way you ask for the A123 service: "oil change ($40 for dino, $70 for synth), tire rotation($25-30) and a tranny fluid flush ($150?)." if you say A123 service: A=$120, 1= $30, 2= $180-200, 3=$150. bring your own oil and save a few more bucks, pay for labor ($24). i fyou're firm, they won't upsell you. more than likely they'll try and upsell a few other items, but you respectfully decline. that's the SA's job.
The following users liked this post:
614Banker (05-13-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
At least to the cabin filters your self - VERY easy to do and you can save money. The filter is the same as the Accord.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 91 Posts
The cabin filter takes 30 seconds to change. Empty the glove box,pull the shelf out and push in the clips and pull out the tray, then pop out the old filter and drop in the new one.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:41 AM
KES
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My dealer does an oil change, transmission and rear differential for about 200. I do not have the inspections done.
614Banker (05-20-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Do it yourself or take it to a Honda dealer. Same parts most likely less money.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I was quoted $287 and change this morning by my dealer here in Columbus, OH for the A123 service and that is after a $24.95 oil change coupon they emailed me. The SA told me the coupon saved me $13 plus. I've scheduled saturday morning for the service. I'm not sure how much others have paid for this service and I'd like to compare and perhaps see if there's a spread.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:44 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
you should ask the dealer what does the service include.. if its somewhere along the lines of changing cabin filter, engine filter, checking oils and things YOU can do on your own.. then id say pass on that..

only things you should go to the dealer for is when you want to change your ATF, differential, 60k and 90k major service recommendations..

changing out filters and checking oils are bs work. anyone can do it.. and its not rocket science.. but if your one of those people that rather fork out money for work that is redundant.. then by all means go ahead.. support your local acura dealer..
The following 3 users liked this post by potmilkz:
614Banker (05-13-2013), BEAR-AvHistory (05-13-2013), fsttyms1 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can buy the cabin air filters at autozone AND install in it in the parking lot. It should really takes 5-10mins MAX !! No tools neccessary plus you get to clean out all the paper works you DON'T need in the glove. Very easy.

For oil and fluid changes;
Since you're not entitled to bring it to the dealership, just bring yours to a local shop that someone you know works at. The work that has to be done doesn't involve much. It's just the brand/type of fluids and oil you buy that's $. Plus, it's kind of cool to look under you car once in a while if they let you come into the service area.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Intermediate

I have read how easy of a DIY it is to change the oil filter, motor oil, cabin and engine air filters, but the OP's question was the A123 service, which happens to the the service due on mine also. Looks like TLTriGirl addressed it more comprehensively in the form of doing it piecemeal style and not as a package AT THE DEALERSHIP. I may be mistaken, but I stand corrected, to assume that none of the DIYers have explained how one can easily rotate the tires and apply the appropriate torque, flush/change the tranny fluid and then get to the oil change and cabin filters. I found the $287 after tax for parts and labor the dealer quoted me to be qite a deal. Now if it was only oil change and air filters, it would be a different story.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by 614Banker
to assume that none of the DIYers have explained how one can easily rotate the tires and apply the appropriate torque, flush/change the tranny fluid and then get to the oil change and cabin filters. I found the $287 after tax for parts and labor the dealer quoted me to be qite a deal. Now if it was only oil change and air filters, it would be a different story.

Rotate tires

torque - i believe it is in the owners manual.. but its 92 lbs

atf change - https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/c-026-diy-changing-atf-pics-745892/

not exactly a 4g but a 3g.. but if you are too dumb to determine where the bolt is.. then you should not be attempting this..

oil change for dummies - https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/easy-oil-change-1-wheel-off-812899/

again, if you need a diy on how to do a oil change, you should not be doing this.

btw this took me 5 mins on google... make sure you put in Acurazine then the key word . such as ATF change or Tire rotation..

you people need to know how to search.

Last edited by potmilkz; 05-14-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

Hey Pot, thanks for your generous reply. I found the tire rotation illustration funny, but nonetheless helpful. I actually consider myself handy. I learned DIY was the way to go for me on my previous car instead of paying a minimum $1K parts and labor at an indie shop (not to mention the dealer who'd have at least a $300-500 premium over that) for routine stuff like what the A123 service entails. I was just making a case for what I consider a pretty fair and reasonable deal in place of going through the trouble of doing all this on my own; talk less about the peace of mind of having the pros do it for a little bit more. (I doubt I'll save more than $100 in labor costs if I buy all the parts and DIY the A123 service).
Stew4HD (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 614Banker
Hey Pot, thanks for your generous reply. I found the tire rotation illustration funny, but nonetheless helpful. I actually consider myself handy. I learned DIY was the way to go for me on my previous car instead of paying a minimum $1K parts and labor at an indie shop (not to mention the dealer who'd have at least a $300-500 premium over that) for routine stuff like what the A123 service entails. I was just making a case for what I consider a pretty fair and reasonable deal in place of going through the trouble of doing all this on my own; talk less about the peace of mind of having the pros do it for a little bit more. (I doubt I'll save more than $100 in labor costs if I buy all the parts and DIY the A123 service).
These regular services do not need a PRO to do.. this is no harder then changing your own oil.. personally i dont have a piece of mind when dealers touch my car.. ive had many friends that went to dealer for a problem only to have the dealer fix it and cause another problem or to have them forget to do something properly.. I have heard many horror stories where bolts are not being tightened properly, noises after service, scratches, etc..

Servicing your car is the only way to properly know that you will get a piece of mind.. and like i said before, i would only resort to dealer if it has something to do with timing belt, cooling, or electrical.. other then that.. the dealer does not touch my car.

so far, ive saved myself some money, gained some experience, and will have the knowledge to save more in the future.. its a learning experience that car owners should go through
fsttyms1 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 07:25 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by potmilkz

Rotate tires

torque - i believe it is in the owners manual.. but its 92 lbs

atf change - https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745892

not exactly a 4g but a 3g.. but if you are too dumb to determine where the bolt is.. then you should not be attempting this..

oil change for dummies - https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812899

again, if you need a diy on how to do a oil change, you should not be doing this.

btw this took me 5 mins on google... make sure you put in Acurazine then the key word . such as ATF change or Tire rotation..

you people need to know how to search.
Thanks for the links and to all of you for your comments.

The problem here is not the search...I know how to search The problem is that I have an extended warranty, which force me to have record of where the service was done, and who did it.
If the car break and I take it to the dealer, for warranty work; I could get the warranty voided because I did the work on my own.

Hence why I cannot do anything for the transmission fluid, nor for the oil change. I have to check carefully the policy that I have, to see if at least I can rotate the tires and replace the cabin filters.

I do regular maintenance on my old car (which is from the 80s, so probably much easier to work with, compared to the cramped spaces of super electronic cars like the TL), and I would not mind to do the same to the TL, but I am concerned to throw away money for the extended warranty (bumper to bumper, official Acura + extended warranty from Acura, since mine was a certified pre-owned...spent about 2500 for it, but it covers everything, except brakes and other consumable, until 2017 or 100K).

Glad that at least this is a major service that has to be done anyway; I should be good until 80K probably.

Thanks again!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
if the contract of the extended warranty says that you are not allowed to get your car maintained anywhere else other than an Acura dealer then you should just go there.

I highly doubt an extended warrant would say that though. If you bought all your fluids and kept the receipt to prove that you did it, I think that is sufficient enough.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shinyknight
Thanks for the links and to all of you for your comments.

The problem here is not the search...I know how to search The problem is that I have an extended warranty, which force me to have record of where the service was done, and who did it.
If the car break and I take it to the dealer, for warranty work; I could get the warranty voided because I did the work on my own.

Hence why I cannot do anything for the transmission fluid, nor for the oil change. I have to check carefully the policy that I have, to see if at least I can rotate the tires and replace the cabin filters.

I do regular maintenance on my old car (which is from the 80s, so probably much easier to work with, compared to the cramped spaces of super electronic cars like the TL), and I would not mind to do the same to the TL, but I am concerned to throw away money for the extended warranty (bumper to bumper, official Acura + extended warranty from Acura, since mine was a certified pre-owned...spent about 2500 for it, but it covers everything, except brakes and other consumable, until 2017 or 100K).

Glad that at least this is a major service that has to be done anyway; I should be good until 80K probably.

Thanks again!

I did my A123 service.... er A13 serice this past saturday at my local dealership here in Columbus, OH. I replaced the cabin and air filters myself last Thursday they they omitted the 2 part of the A123 and only did the A13 (for oil change, tire rotation and tranny flush). Total after tax and my coupon came to $221 and it came with an awesome hot off the grill bbq and drinks. Moreover, they gave me a new coupon for unlimited oil change for the next 6 mos for $14.95 each time... only catch is it has to be Mon-Thur from 9pm-Midnight.... but my drive to the dealer is only 10 mins. Thought I'd share my experience.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by twiz03
if the contract of the extended warranty says that you are not allowed to get your car maintained anywhere else other than an Acura dealer then you should just go there.

I highly doubt an extended warrant would say that though. If you bought all your fluids and kept the receipt to prove that you did it, I think that is sufficient enough.
This!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
These regular services do not need a PRO to do.. this is no harder then changing your own oil.. personally i dont have a piece of mind when dealers touch my car.. ive had many friends that went to dealer for a problem only to have the dealer fix it and cause another problem or to have them forget to do something properly.. I have heard many horror stories where bolts are not being tightened properly, noises after service, scratches, etc..

Servicing your car is the only way to properly know that you will get a piece of mind.. and like i said before, i would only resort to dealer if it has something to do with timing belt, cooling, or electrical.. other then that.. the dealer does not touch my car.

so far, ive saved myself some money, gained some experience, and will have the knowledge to save more in the future.. its a learning experience that car owners should go through
If you are able to change your own oil, change your own trans fluid or change your PS/ALT belt, you are more than capable of changing your timing belt. Its not any harder, just takes a little more time. Most people scare them selves out of it because people say if you do it wrong you can destroy your motor. Guess what, if you do something wrong when changing your oil you can destroy your motor too
Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts

also will have the pride in fucking things up!
and then fixing them.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
also will have the pride in fucking things up!
and then fixing them.
LMFAO I take it you are speaking from experience! Sometimes it will end up costing more to fix your own fuckups and the frustration to go along with it. Trial and error. A man just need the right tools for the right job.
justnspace (05-21-2013)