What if our defective cars don't get repaired for 6 months to a year ? or longer ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:46 AM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
What if our defective cars don't get repaired for 6 months to a year ? or longer ?

Hi guys. I didn't wan't to bury this in the Takata thread because I want as many people to see it as possible. And honestly, this thread should be more important than whether or not someone gets a new spoiler or which car mats to choose or whatever. After all, who cares what you get for the car if you can't drive it ?
I know many are still driving their TL's based on info they may have received from their dealer downplaying how much of a issue it is to drive the car with the defective inflator. But I personally wouldn't want to be the one to get into an accident and have a piece of metal hit me or one of my kids in the face and damage them or me for life because I wasn't proactive. I don't care if there are no reports of this happening on our cars specifically. Bottom line is the defective part that killed and injured a lot of people is in our cars and Honda is going to lose many many millions trying to fix this. I believe they wouldn't do that if there was no chance of anything ever happening.
Now having said that, I have a rental car for almost 30 days now and my dealer has gotten a handful of these replacement parts in the last few months. But there are 100's of recalls for this one dealer alone.
It's conceivable that my car could sit in my garage for 6 months or more.
who knows, maybe longer. Apparently we are not supposed to sell it legally, and I doubt we could get anything of value for a trade in. Just wondering what you guys think. What would you conceivably do if your car has to sit for 6 months to a year ? I dunno, just venting I guess with a bunch of guys in the same boat. Frustrating.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Class action suit. Buy back request. All I can think off.

In all honesty, I think most will be replaced by end of this summer. That is, Takada can pin point which batches are defective. If they can't --> disaster.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
It means more threads about the same thing will be posted on AZ
Old 04-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Honestly, I'll just continue to happily drive my free rental while the TL sits safely in my garage. I do miss driving the TL but not as much as I thought I would. IMO the pros far outweigh the cons.

Pros
1. I don't need to or want to wash the rental (I generally wash the TL every week)
2. Rental doesn't require premium fuel, and gets about 7 more miles per gallon than the TL (figure a $0.50 per gallon difference in cost and that I'm getting close to 100 more miles per tank...that adds up!)
3. No miles on the TL (and less on wife's Ody)
4. No wear/tear on the TL (delaying necessary services and new tires), including no exposure to the Florida sun and no rock chips from excessive highway miles (at least 250 per week)
5. Increasing equity in the TL (as I continue to make payments but put no additional miles on it)
6. If I get tired of my current rental I can exchange it for something else, keeping that "new car feeling"
7. I really look forward to and enjoy taking the TL out every other week for a few miles

Cons
1. Not driving the TL on a daily basis (miss the MT and power)
The following 2 users liked this post by ucf_bronco:
a35tl (04-28-2016), JT4 (05-04-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Good attitude Bronco. I guess we will have to see where we are in 60 more days.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Yeah I'm with Brocno on this. As much as it sucks not driving my own car, I'm enjoying my rental (Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab), especially since I'm a homeowner (great for trips to Home Depot and for yard work, etc.). Added bonus is that I always volunteer to drive, mainly due to no mileage or wear and tear on my car or my wife's.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
I was under the impression that Acura required the vehicles to sit on their lot if they are to issue you a rental car. Now that I think of it, I suppose there wouldn't be room to accommodate all of them. If I can leave it parked in my driveway then I think I may consider getting a rental.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:45 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
^^^My local dealership had no idea either. I mentioned it to the guy on the phone before I headed there and upon waiting for probably 20 minutes once I arrived I found out they couldn't find the waiver I had to sign. Luckily it was uploaded in the other thread so I had it with me. Nothing like being more prepared than the dealership!

Here it is again...
Old 04-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I got my rental 2 months from today, granted my first vehicle was a 2015 GMC Acadia and now I've been driving a 2015 Dodge Durango Limited, going in today to switch cars. I put in around 3600 miles on the Durango alone in just about a month. I'm in the Navy Reserves so I have to travel quite a lot to my station and for training, let alone my kids are about 60 miles away from me so when I get them for a weekend, that's at least another 500 miles a month.

Since I heard about this early before the recall letter had gotten out, the dealer I first went to had no clue and wasn't really all that helpful. So, I went to Thousand Oaks Acura in California and they were more helpful but didn't know the extent and didn't know about the waiver until I brought it in. But, they helped me out hassle free and so did the local Enterprise there.

I agree with everything Bronco says as well.

-DeL
Old 04-29-2016, 11:11 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
**UPDATE FROM THE WEST COAST .. .. CALIFORNIA**

I've also posted this on the Takata Airbag Thread as well

I just received an email from the Service manager and they have an inflator for my 2010 Acura TL. So, I will be dropping that off today after work and see whats up. Also, I did get a rental from Enterprise through Acura since about 04/29/16, so I am not sure if that was the case for its expediency.

-DeL
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (04-29-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Cars that can't be driven or sold? Ridiculous.
You can sell anything as long as you disclose the issues. And the trade-in value is only slightly lower than what it might have been before the recall.
The idea that you would all keep a used car that you couldn't drive because it burns oil or the airbag is dangerous is akin to having a tenant who doesn't pay rent living in your duplex. Get Smart and evict that deadbeat car!
Old 05-01-2016, 12:11 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Went into Acura yesterday to get the wife a rental for her 2016 RDX and spoke with the service department. The southern states have been receiving inflators and are being replaced as priority due to humidity. He also told me people with rentals have priority as well since Acura is shoveling out money on loaners. Shouldn't be too much longer. Maybe mid summer if you're not in a southern state like myself.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
I must be missing something here. My car has the airbag recall and the service adviser said he has the part on order and will give me a call when it comes in. For now I could still drive my car, am I not supposed to be driving my car?
Old 05-01-2016, 11:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by VanyDotK
I must be missing something here. My car has the airbag recall and the service adviser said he has the part on order and will give me a call when it comes in. For now I could still drive my car, am I not supposed to be driving my car?
I mean, I'm driving my car as well, however you are putting yourself at a slight risk. The whole point of the recall is the airbags may send metal shards at you if it goes off.

So if you drive the car, you risk metal getting thrown at your face in an accident.

This is why people are getting rentals....did you miss that?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:43 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
I have 2 cars with the recall. My 2014 TL and my wife's 2016 RDX. We got one rental and decided to park the RDX. I refuse to park the TL since I take it to shows/meets and sometimes out when it's nice. Is it risky? Sure.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
I mean, I'm driving my car as well, however you are putting yourself at a slight risk. The whole point of the recall is the airbags may send metal shards at you if it goes off.

So if you drive the car, you risk metal getting thrown at your face in an accident.

This is why people are getting rentals....did you miss that?
I mean, is it required that you not drive the car or is the dealership giving everyone the option? I think I read somewhere that in humid areas the air bags more likely to have the issue.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I mean, is it required that you not drive the car or is the dealership giving everyone the option? I think I read somewhere that in humid areas the air bags more likely to have the issue.
No, it's not required. It's your choice. Would be a huge cost for Acura to swallow.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in my TL! Dealer called last week, scheduled my appointment to replace the inflator. Turned in my rental and it only took about 45 minutes. Glad it didn't take all summer. Hopefully everyone else's gets fixed soon. BTW I live in Ohio.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
I can speak for my parent's experience but mine was different. They received a rental car for their CRV that's affected. The dealership had no additional spaces on the lot for the vehicle to park so my parents had to sign an agreement to drive the CRV home and not drive it while they had the rental.

I'm assuming part of the rental agreement was that you'd actually use the rental and not the faulty car.

My Acura dealer (they suck btw) offered me a compact car from Enterprise and I assume would have me not drive my TL OR they order the part and I continue driving the TL.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can speak for my parent's experience but mine was different. They received a rental car for their CRV that's affected. The dealership had no additional spaces on the lot for the vehicle to park so my parents had to sign an agreement to drive the CRV home and not drive it while they had the rental.

I'm assuming part of the rental agreement was that you'd actually use the rental and not the faulty car.

My Acura dealer (they suck btw) offered me a compact car from Enterprise and I assume would have me not drive my TL OR they order the part and I continue driving the TL.
Your choice, but I wouldn't do it. The dealer will try and talk you out of the rental. You shouldn't have to take a compact. I got an SUV for our TL. (Mazda CR-5). I'd suggest when it starts getting warm and humid you go back and get the rental. Plus it will put you on a list to get yours fixed earlier. Honda/Acura doesn't really want to pay for your car rental. Or go to another Acura dealer. Plus, you can switch cars later with Enterprise. They may have a limit price from your dealer like $35-40 a day.

Last edited by lbotez; 05-04-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:26 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
My local dealer told me today that they have been ordering kits and getting them four to six weeks after, so that's good to hear. They ordered my airbag kit today, so hopefully it will get replaced by early to mid June. I would recommend calling your local dealer and not just waiting for them to contact you. Squeaky wheel gets the grease so to speak.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Dang, that sucks. I got a 2016 ford Expedition platinum for the first few days, traded it into enterprise for a 2016 Maxima which I have enjoyed driving. I miss my TL's space in the drivers seat. I will say the rental is a very nice car and I've been satisfied with the whole process. I get my car back next week (parts are in)
Old 05-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GYac
Dang, that sucks. I got a 2016 ford Expedition platinum for the first few days, traded it into enterprise for a 2016 Maxima which I have enjoyed driving. I miss my TL's space in the drivers seat. I will say the rental is a very nice car and I've been satisfied with the whole process. I get my car back next week (parts are in)
Just to keep it light, because if I think too much about this situation it bums me out (with the idea of having to replace all of the other airbag inflators, etc).

I have a 2016 Maxima too. I have to say this car is very close to being as fast as my TL, maybe even a tad quicker being it feels lighter
Try it in "sport" mode. Zoom zoom!
. Handling is no contest as its horrible in the rain, but overall nice car. Great Tech, better than the TL, but stereo is inferior.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I got my 2013 TL airbag inflator fixed today. Shocked it came so fast. I doubt I would have got it done so quickly if I hadn't taken the car rental.... I had a rental for a little over a month. From the sound of it, if there is a passenger airbag inflator to repair, I won't be getting another rental.

Good luck with your replacements...