Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck Brakes for our cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:39 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Truck Brakes for our cars

I'm genuinely shocked at the lack of certain information on these cars, I will share as I find answers to my questions.

First
Honda Ridgeline and Odyssey share brake parts with our cars.
Why this matters, Very nice pads appear to be available at a very low cost on rockauto under the part numbers
Front : Z36-1102Rear : Z36-1103
Power Stop 1-Click Extreme Truck & Tow Brake Kits | Power Stop

I ended up buying raybestos advanced tech rotors from partsavatar.ca for very cheap FYI. They seem highly reviewed, should be a solid combo.

Also, still looking for someone to magically remove our governors, KTuner maybe one day, that limit is ridiculous for a car with these capabilities. For reference many many many other factory cars have higher limiters.
Also, please don't feel to chime in with your opinions on whether or not it should be governed. We could all argue whether or guns kill so why should people be allowed to own one. The point is there's a time and a place, and its the owners choice.
Many performance cars and parts are designed to travel at those speeds. Hell every sport bike from 600cc up can do 275+. So again leave your opinions at home, just looking for a way to accomplish this, not whether its okay by you.
As far as I can tell Ktuner is the only one working on this atm.

I just purchased a 2012 TL SHAWD 6MT, replacing all the brakes, every fluid and filter in the car, adding some exhaust and later the aero kit.

Lots to do.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Advanced

$20 for pads!

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-05-2017, 10:04 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Not going to give you advice or comment on what you wrote, as you requested. However you missed one important thing. Something that anyone who knows anything about modifying brakes on a stock car (to improve it) never omits. So, perhaps you need to do some more homework...

(hint: its more important than pads or rotors)
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 10:15 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work at a parts house, and just looked. The Ridgeline shares the same pads, but the Odyssey doesn't seem to be the same.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:22 AM
Advanced

I believe the odyssey shares rotors, can't recall if its front or rears, the pads are what I found more interesting as they seem like decent heavy duty pads for cheap, and they are well reviewed.

What exactly did I omit? And who said anything about modifying anything? these are stock fitting parts. IE maintenance? so Homework what?
Old 03-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I have no idea what he's talking about either

Throw us a bone?
Old 03-06-2017, 04:27 AM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Maybe he's talking about getting better tires to help with braking?
The following 2 users liked this post by Nitin:
justnspace (03-06-2017), nist7 (03-07-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Advanced

K, but I wasn't talking about upgrading brakes. I was talking about a cheap source of maintenance parts and the interchangeability with certain other cars.

This thread has been de-railed and I'm still shocked that no one has found this information useful. $20 pads, $50 cad rotors, and both very high quality.....

As far as tires go the best I've found are WS80's in the snow (far more grip than x-ice),
Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ or super sports in the summer, both are amazing summer tires, one with longer tread life and better traction in the rain, the other better on dry pavement more of a track worthy tire.
255/40 is my preferred size due to having the largest contact patch on stock rims, however I was able to buy a set of 245/45/19s for half price on basically new pilot AS3+ tires so they will work for my needs. Speedo will be off by 3% but everything else will work fine.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by joemcfarnham
K, but I wasn't talking about upgrading brakes. I was talking about a cheap source of maintenance parts and the interchangeability with certain other cars.

This thread has been de-railed and I'm still shocked that no one has found this information useful. $20 pads, $50 cad rotors, and both very high quality.....

As far as tires go the best I've found are WS80's in the snow (far more grip than x-ice),
Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ or super sports in the summer, both are amazing summer tires, one with longer tread life and better traction in the rain, the other better on dry pavement more of a track worthy tire.
255/40 is my preferred size due to having the largest contact patch on stock rims, however I was able to buy a set of 245/45/19s for half price on basically new pilot AS3+ tires so they will work for my needs. Speedo will be off by 3% but everything else will work fine.
I think I'd rather pay ~$55 and get a set of StopTech pads and ~$160 for cryo-treated rotors.

For something you replace as infrequently as pads/rotors I would hope an owner can afford that ~$200 cost spread across several years and thousands of miles of use.

Especially if you're spending money on Super Sports @ $900 for a set.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
If it sounds like it works, just throw it on and be the guinea pig and report back, OP!
Old 03-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Did you even research the pads or rotors? raybestos advanced rotors are extremely well reviewed, far better than OEM. My god people educate yourselves before spewing your opinions - Muffintops. The pads are also quite well reviewed.

Last edited by joemcfarnham; 03-06-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Advanced

PS Thoiboi I did order them and am installing, I have verified the part numbers and they are the same as our car.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:53 PM
Senior Moderator

I kindly suggest you change your tone of voice as this "holier than thou"/"i know more than all of you" attitude isn't going to last around here.

If you would like to provide resources to the community, they can be well received if verified but the whole, "I can't believe there isn't more info" "spare me your opinions" "educate yourselves" high horse you're on isn't going to take you very far.
The following 3 users liked this post by thoiboi:
EvilVirus (08-23-2017), Mateo Delgado (11-05-2017), TheMuffinMan (03-07-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Advanced

Im sorry if you dont like my tone. I've given some cheap options for quality parts and had nothing but criticism. Also its not holier than thou, its common fucking sense and reading before I speak..... jesus christ....
Old 03-07-2017, 07:02 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
What you missed... stainless steel brake lines. I have the xlr8 ones for 2 years now, including some crazy Canadian winters. Latest inspection... they are as good as new. No, they don't improve braking, but they feel like the brakes byte better and response is quicker braking. Also, safety is key. They come with teflon coating, on the outside, making them super durable. So, without stainless steel brake lines you aren't really improving things to the point it is instantly noticeable.

For pads and rotors you be surprised to hear (unless of course you own a 4g TL yourself) that the OEM set can last a long time. Nevertheless, for replacement I got the Centric rotors and StopTech pads. I recently drove a TL with the OEM pads/rotors/lines still on and I could tell the difference. On my older 3g TL and 7th gen Accord I had the brembo blanks and hawk street pads. A good upgrade too, but with no stainless steel brake lines it did leave something to be desired...

BTW, when you pay $20 for pads you get $20 pads. And the ones you advertise on amazon will not fit the TL. I am sure you'll be genuinely shocked to find out that not even amazon recommends they fit the TL SHAWD.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Im sorry if you dont like my tone. I've given some cheap options for quality parts and had nothing but criticism. Also its not holier than thou, its common fucking sense and reading before I speak..... jesus christ....

It's the Internet. Quit taking it so damn seriously.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Advanced

Thanks for proving my point, I wasnt talking about upgrading to a bbk or anything, i was talking about an alternative replacement part....... And my proving my point you listened to amazon as a source of whether the part will fit lol, try the manufacturer, or the guy with the parts source above who verified..... Like wow. Way to spread misinformation.

To clarify to anyone else reading this, they do fit.

Secondly I didnt make this serious you did, that was all you when you gave that warning lol... None the less I made this post to educate and assist people with maintenance options, a select few of you have taken away from that and made yourselves look less informed. I have a vast amount of experience in automotive repair and I'm certainly not always right or believe I know everything. I come in like most looking for information, what I meant in my first post is that im shocked that no one has noticed that our cars share brakes with these other cars, and am curious what other interchangeable parts exist.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Thank you for posting about parts interchange.

This is an interesting concept. I wonder if it is prevalent elsewhere? I think you might be on to something here...

I smell a conspiracy theory though. A big company like Honda using the *same* part on *different* vehicles? That sounds like a fact the government doesn't want us to know about. I hope your discovery doesn't get you in any trouble. Might want to think about moving to Canada just in case.

:tumbups" good work OP!
Old 03-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Did you even research the pads or rotors? raybestos advanced rotors are extremely well reviewed, far better than OEM. My god people educate yourselves before spewing your opinions - Muffintops. The pads are also quite well reviewed.
What the fuck is your problem?

I absolutely research my brakes and am perfectly comfortable spending money on them. How is your opinion any more valid than mine? Who are you again?

Oh that's right, a new user with 20 posts *total* (half in this thread alone) telling me to buy $20 truck brake pads to save $30. Awesome credentials.

You're posting to a public internet forum and not everyone is going to agree with you. I'm sorry if in the 32 years of your life you've been delusional and think everyone agrees with you. (They don't)

I've owned my Acura TL longer than you have and have done far more contributions to this community than you. I'm sure your brake pads are both functional and may fit but you haven't installed them yet and you're spouting off information like you're a brake god. (You're not).

Something you haven't even touched on is brake surface contact area with the rotor or other bits and pieces - all brakes are not interchangeable just because you can just pop them into a caliper.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tonyware
What you missed... stainless steel brake lines. I have the xlr8 ones for 2 years now, including some crazy Canadian winters. Latest inspection... they are as good as new. No, they don't improve braking, but they feel like the brakes byte better and response is quicker braking. Also, safety is key. They come with teflon coating, on the outside, making them super durable. So, without stainless steel brake lines you aren't really improving things to the point it is instantly noticeable.
Be careful with SS brake lines. The mesh over top of the line looks fine, but you can't see any wear happening below. Mine were coated on the outside too. I had one of mine blow out on me about 1.5 years ago- they weren't XLR8, but they were a reputable brand from tirerack. I was lucky I wasn't hauling a$$ when it went out... ended up leaving me stranded for a few hours as I was waiting for a tow truck... the brake fluid ended up destroying the paint on my front fender because I was unable to clean it off, being in an industrial area with nowhere near by to wash off the fluid.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Lol muffintops, my issue with you is that you weren't contributing to the thread but rather distracting and taking away from it, as you still are.

Secondly like I give a fuck how many posts you have on an internet forum, seriously that is some form of self worth to you haha.

Thirdly, the brakes do fit the car, as was verified in the second or third post, the are the same model of pad as our. Its called interchangeability its a common term in the automotive world.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Thanks taco.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Team Owner

There's a "thanks" button for that
The following users liked this post:
thoiboi (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Please grace us with your vast automotive knowledge based god
Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Advanced

" I have a vast amount of experience in automotive repair and I'm certainly not always right or believe I know everything. I come in like most looking for information, what I meant in my first post is that im shocked that no one has noticed that our cars share brakes with these other cars, and am curious what other interchangeable parts exist. "

Seriously wow, this is what I get for trying to share information on these cars.... thanks.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:49 AM
Team Owner

honestly.. we're being nice here. We have a very particular set of skills for dealing with those... who deserve to be dealt with.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Advanced

Well anywho this thread is clearly way off tracks and no longer useful due to the convoluted information provided by others. Mods please close this thread.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:55 AM
Team Owner

Yeah, see... again you're telling people what to do. You have much to learn, young grasshopper.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:01 AM

" I have a vast amount of experience in automotive repair and I'm certainly not always right or believe I know everything. I come in like most looking for information, what I meant in my first post is that im shocked that no one has noticed that our cars share brakes with these other cars, and am curious what other interchangeable parts exist. "

Seriously wow, this is what I get for trying to share information on these cars.... thanks.
Why do you assume no one knew that there was interchangeability between models?
Old 03-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 243 Posts
For God's sake think about the CHILDREN!!!!!!!

Joe McFarmhand was a registered Pedo in Kentucky.....completely unrelated but just an observation.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:08 AM
Advanced

Why do you assume no one knew that there was interchangeability between models?

Because I couldnt find any info when doing a search, so no one from what I could see had shared it.

Yeah, see... again you're telling people what to do. You have much to learn, young grasshopper.

Mods please close this thread. Is telling people what to do?

The fuck is wrong with yall? Jesus Christ.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:09 AM

I just found out Honda and Acura are essentially the same company!!!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:12 AM

The fuck is wrong with yall? Jesus Christ.
Truck Brakes for our cars-tewbe.jpg
Old 03-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Drifting

hahah Maj they fooled you!! the A logo in Acura isnt an A at all. its actually an H which has been squished at the top......i know i know, i have been driving for YEARS without realizing this....but i shit you not.....go look.....MIND BLOWN!!!!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:16 AM

Truck Brakes for our cars-lhimazb.gif
Old 03-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Advanced

You people are just soo helpful, really adding to this info, god forbid I give other readers cheap quality replacement options.... fuck.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 AM

Deep breaths. Take a few deep breaths. In and out, nice and slow.

As said before, this is the internet. Thank you for spreading.
your knowledge
Old 03-07-2017, 11:21 AM

We like spending more.. that's why we bought Acuras and not Hondas.. high brow.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Team Owner

Dude... It's the Internet. Laugh at yourself a bit. We are just teasing. The more upset you get, the more fun we have.

Feel free to laugh at me too. Hahaha, stupid Taco.

See! It's fun and easy!!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:39 AM
Drifting

It is Taco Tuesday after all!