4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Torque Converter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am about to have the Torque coverter replaced with the software upgrade on my 2010 SH-AWD.. Anybody know if they have to drop the tranny to do this? If so any concerns or things to look out for?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told that they flush out the transmission fluid and then they hook it up to the computer and do the upgrade.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:43 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I honestly don't know.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Cruisin'

Well got car back from dealer and it runs better than New. TC fixed everything!!!
Old 09-27-2013, 07:32 PM

Good deal and glad to hear.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 PM
TL Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had mine done 2 weeks ago has to go back in, leaking transmission fluid.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:16 PM

Sorry to hear, but I'd like think a leak is relatively minor compared to where you were before.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Hey, maybe someone should start yet another thread about this issue.
The following users liked this post:
ejbrandt (09-29-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 AM
10th Gear

Re: TQ 2010 TL SH-AWD

Just had mine done and picked up yesterday. So far it's A-Mazing! Car drives better than ever! only 35k on it and drives like its brand new again! Gears shift fluidly with no hesitation! Third gear easily hits 90mph! Sucks theres way too many probs w/TQ on these cars!Highly recommend purchasing the extended warr without it you'll be on the hook for $1200bucks and a week without a vehicle if it goes out! Happy driving
Old 11-07-2013, 03:03 PM
1st Gear

2010 Acura TL

I had this issue with my 2010 Acura TL. At low speeds my car would almost grown and RPMS would jump up and down aroud the 1500 RPM mark without me changing pressure on gas pedal. I took in into my dealer 2 twice... they could not replicate the sounds, RPMs jumping, or find a problem... I told them to check the torque converter... After looking at me like I was an alien... they told me that would not be what was causing the problem...

I decided to have hard core proof - so I videotaped the RPMS jumping with my phone. I recorded it on three different occassions.

I took my car back in today.... sent them the video clips from my phone.... they think its the torque converter.... THANKS GUYS!!!!!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Cruisin'

Don't they know we all talk by now? LOL
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by tommyjoboy
Don't they know we all talk by now? LOL
This!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Acurat TL Torque Converter issues

I have the same issue for a Canadian 2010 SH AWD TL. Took the mechanic for a ride and he noticed the rumble at low RPM's. He noticed the tachometer fluctuating as the rumble occurred.
This part is covered by the Power Train warranty. It requires a complete day of labour as the transmission needs to be removed. The TC weighs approximately 50 lbs so not a one person job. Will solve the problem but no guarantee that the problem will not repeat itself. Hope this helps!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by saiton65
I have the same issue for a Canadian 2010 SH AWD TL. Took the mechanic for a ride and he noticed the rumble at low RPM's. He noticed the tachometer fluctuating as the rumble occurred.
This part is covered by the Power Train warranty. It requires a complete day of labour as the transmission needs to be removed. The TC weighs approximately 50 lbs so not a one person job. Will solve the problem but no guarantee that the problem will not repeat itself. Hope this helps!
You should check other threads before you have this work done. There is a TSB on this. Not sure the tranny needs to be pulled.

I had my TC replaced a couple years ago because of this issue, but didn't have the software upgrade done. I still have the issue. Will they do the upgrade at no charge with 132k miles on my car?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm assuming only Automatic trannys are affected by this?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by liquidneon
I'm assuming only Automatic trannys are affected by this?
Manual transmissions do not have lockup torque converters.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Im glad I searched for this post.

So I believe I am having this issue but I want to confirm. Everytime I am driving in the city and I am about to come to a stop, when I am braking and my vehicle decelerates to about 20-25 mph, there is this "shake/rattle/vibration" that occurs. I cannot hear it when I have the music on but it is very noticeable when the music is off.

Last week I took my car in for service because I had heavy hesitation. I would be at a complete stop, then when I try to accelerate, it would be extremly slow around 2nd gear, then I have to kind of apply more gas pressure so that it "kicks in gear" properly. They told me that I was due for transmission fluid change and transmission firmware upgrade. They performed that and the hesitation seemed to only get slightly better.

So I now feel that shake, rattle, and vibration when decelerating and I dont feel the car as I once did. Could this be related?
Old 09-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Advanced

Hey all...I think I may have this issue as well on my 2012 TL. I have noticed that as I am accelerating...I am getting the feeling like the transmission is randomly disengaging...almost like it's slipping a bit in-between the normal shifts. I get a mild jerk sensation and then it seems to reengage etc. When this happens at the same time a shift is taking place..it can really give an uncomfortable jerk. I went in thinking it was a transmission problem...and they did a "software" update...but that didn't fix it.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by colberto
Hey all...I think I may have this issue as well on my 2012 TL. I have noticed that as I am accelerating...I am getting the feeling like the transmission is randomly disengaging...almost like it's slipping a bit in-between the normal shifts. I get a mild jerk sensation and then it seems to reengage etc. When this happens at the same time a shift is taking place..it can really give an uncomfortable jerk. I went in thinking it was a transmission problem...and they did a "software" update...but that didn't fix it.
I'm getting the same thing. Mine is very mild and I didn't have this when I first got the car (bought used a few months ago).

I know that I have the newest updates so that shouldn't be it. The only thing is that my 2012 is a FWD and from what I've been reading, the TC problems are much more prevalent in the SH-AWDs.

Has anyone heard of a FWD having the TC problems?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi,

I took this vid of my car yesterday when it started bucking. Does this seem like a torque converter problem? It's a 2013 TL AWD with 16k miles on it. It does this when in light traffic and accelerating at 30mph (which i think is in 4th gear). The video starts off at higher RPMs (3rd i think), then shifts into 4th and starts bucking.

Thanks,

Old 09-13-2014, 06:39 AM
Advanced

Problem Solved!! Thanks to Acurazine!

Originally Posted by colberto
I took my car in asking specifically for them to perform the needed tests on my torque converter...suspecting that this was the culprit behind my poor driving experience. They quickly found out that indeed this was the cause and I have subsequently had it replaced.

OMG....it's like a new car! Here I had just resolved that this TL was subject to a crappy transmission...poor shifting....etc. Not the case...with a properly working torque converter the TL upshifts and downshifts smoothly with nice acceleration.

The funny thing about these types of issues is that they seem to "gradually" take place such that you often don't notice the changes taking place. Especially if you have limited exposure to driving other cars. It finally was the driving of a new car we purchased along with recent rentals that made me push for getting something done.

Thanks Acurazine for doing what you do best...providing a place where one can learn about the issues that "might" be happening to others and should be looked at. With the knowledge of the torque converter issue...I was able to suggest the team focus on that part...support the proper diagnosis...and get it repaired successfully. I do believe there is a real issue with this part in the '12 TL's and encourage anyone experiencing "jerky" shifts to have it looked at before the 7/70 powertrain warranty expires.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Intermediate

Took the dealer a long time to find out the problem. Finally we left the car there and said we weren't going to pick it up until they found out the issue and had it fixed. They called us and said it was the Torque Converter it took about 3 days for them to get to it and have it fixed but the dealer kept telling us that it was ok....happy we went back. We know our cars better than they do.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:11 AM
2nd Gear

Angry 2014 Acura TL Judder and hesitation

2014 Acura TL 55000 miles. This car has had a juddering since we bought it. We've taken it back several times and the dealership can't seem to duplicate the problem. They said they will contact us when the new software comes out. It's now been a year and a half and no software update as of yet. Problem occurs when vehicle is cold and in stop and go driving. We look like a bunch of bobbleheads in the car. $40k car and it drives like crap. Awaiting mediation with Acura/Honda for vehicle buy back. It's at the dealership again to let the Factory Rep go on a drive along. Gunn Acura is the only Acura Dealership in town and it's like 40 miles away. I had to do all the research about the problem and present it to the dealership because they couldn't figure it out by themselves. WARNING! I wouldn't recommend buying a Acura. Total nightmare from hell! I recommended they check the torque converter and powertrain module. I'm waiting a call from them now.
Can't wait to hear what they have to say.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ricknavy51
2014 Acura TL 55000 miles. This car has had a juddering since we bought it. We've taken it back several times and the dealership can't seem to duplicate the problem. They said they will contact us when the new software comes out. It's now been a year and a half and no software update as of yet. Problem occurs when vehicle is cold and in stop and go driving. We look like a bunch of bobbleheads in the car. $40k car and it drives like crap. Awaiting mediation with Acura/Honda for vehicle buy back. It's at the dealership again to let the Factory Rep go on a drive along. Gunn Acura is the only Acura Dealership in town and it's like 40 miles away. I had to do all the research about the problem and present it to the dealership because they couldn't figure it out by themselves. WARNING! I wouldn't recommend buying a Acura. Total nightmare from hell! I recommended they check the torque converter and powertrain module. I'm waiting a call from them now.
Can't wait to hear what they have to say.
The new software update came out Aug. 2016 TSB 16-041, Acura extended the warranty 8yrs/105k miles whichever comes first. I received the TSB Recall few months back. My local dealership performed the new software and drain and filled the ATF fluid at no cost, it's been more then a month and the judder is back. I believe it needs a new torque converter and no software will fix the issue. (Enough with the band-aid patch),
Old 11-22-2016, 06:15 PM
2nd Gear

They contacted my wife and told her she could pickup the car. They changed the transmission fluid again (just did that 2 months ago) and it seems like the problem has gone away. What are we to do? Change the transmission fluid every 2 months? The last time they did that the problem came back within 2 days. I don't know what to do?
Old 05-18-2019, 06:58 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Rick Case Acura Giving me the run-around

Originally Posted by JayTeeL
Just curious how many of you 4Gers have had issues with your torque converter had had to have it replace. Seems like it's a fairly common issue. Specifically it keeping the transmission in too low of a gear and causing loud vibrations when RPMs are below 1600 while driving.
I am experiencing the same problem. My dealer first told me the vibration was normal at 40mph, the speed at which [they tell me] the engine switches from 6 cyl to 3 cyl; however, the symptoms have become more frequent. They appear at 20ish, 30ish, 40ish, 50ish. I do not experience the vibration while I accelerate through those speeds. My guess is, the symptoms present themselves when the transmission switches gears; and for lack of a more technical expression, the car is coasting.

Suspicious of my dealer, I asked my local mechanic, an AAA garage I used before I bought the TLX; and, he told me it was the torque converter. Until then, I believed my dealer.

The transmission in my TLX was replaced [under warranty] at 28000 miles; I would think that the torque converter was part of the transmission. I guess not.

Needless to say, I had high expectations when I bought my TLX. Previously, I owned a Jag, and got 15 years of trouble free service from that car. I'm not happy with Acura or my dealer. After I submit this reply, I will pull the dealer logo off the trunk. If they want me to advertise for them, I want a car that works and I want to be paid. Fat chance of that happening.

In a perverse way, it's somewhat comforting to know that this is a common problem; and, I'm not crazy. Now, I have some ammunition the next time I visit my dealer.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Disappointed
I am experiencing the same problem. My dealer first told me the vibration was normal at 40mph, the speed at which [they tell me] the engine switches from 6 cyl to 3 cyl; however, the symptoms have become more frequent. They appear at 20ish, 30ish, 40ish, 50ish. I do not experience the vibration while I accelerate through those speeds. My guess is, the symptoms present themselves when the transmission switches gears; and for lack of a more technical expression, the car is coasting.

Suspicious of my dealer, I asked my local mechanic, an AAA garage I used before I bought the TLX; and, he told me it was the torque converter. Until then, I believed my dealer.

The transmission in my TLX was replaced [under warranty] at 28000 miles; I would think that the torque converter was part of the transmission. I guess not.

Needless to say, I had high expectations when I bought my TLX. Previously, I owned a Jag, and got 15 years of trouble free service from that car. I'm not happy with Acura or my dealer. After I submit this reply, I will pull the dealer logo off the trunk. If they want me to advertise for them, I want a car that works and I want to be paid. Fat chance of that happening.

In a perverse way, it's somewhat comforting to know that this is a common problem; and, I'm not crazy. Now, I have some ammunition the next time I visit my dealer.
The issue with the 4G TL is the way the software locks up the torque converter. Acura updated it and suggests replacing fluid more frequently.

on your TLX the issue is actually worn engine mounts or mounts that need to be neutralized. When VCM kicks in on the TLX it creates vibrations that the mounts are supposed to isolate from the cabin. If the mount is worn or loose it'll allow it to pass. There's a way around this called VCM muzzler which has had good reports.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:52 PM
4th Gear

No longer disappointed; I am pissed with my Acura dealer.

Originally Posted by csmeance
The issue with the 4G TL is the way the software locks up the torque converter. Acura updated it and suggests replacing fluid more frequently.

on your TLX the issue is actually worn engine mounts or mounts that need to be neutralized. When VCM kicks in on the TLX it creates vibrations that the mounts are supposed to isolate from the cabin. If the mount is worn or loose it'll allow it to pass. There's a way around this called VCM muzzler which has had good reports.
Thanks for your reply. I've gotten no where with Rick Case Acura in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I was there today; the service manager just poo-pooed this board and bragged about his 30 year experience with Acura, enumerating all his awards.

My 2015 TLX has been giving me trouble for the past two years. I feel like getting a blow up lemon and attaching it to the roof and park it out front of the dealership. I bought a Honda because of its reputation. Yes I know it's an Acura; but, we all know that an Acura is a Honda with a handle-bar mustache painted on it. I'll never buy another Acura again.

Sifting through this thread down to the Black TL, I discovered that owner reported bucking. I get bucking from time to time when the car is cold.

I have already had the transmission replaced on this dog; and, it took a year of pestering them to do it.

I'm between a rock and a hard place. I got no satisfaction from the service manager today.

I told him I was going over his head and contacting Acura USA directly; he didn't seem to care.

Anybody have any other ideas besides calling Acura headquarters directly? The dealer is a brick wall.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
My wife's 2010 TL used to vibrate a little around 40 mph, not sure whether that's torque converter, but after the recent 105K full service including timing belt/water pump, serpentine belt, spark plug, valve adjustment etc. this problem seemed to go away. I don't know what exactly had fixed the issue. Just wanted to share my experience in case it's something else.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Disappointed
Thanks for your reply. I've gotten no where with Rick Case Acura in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I was there today; the service manager just poo-pooed this board and bragged about his 30 year experience with Acura, enumerating all his awards.

My 2015 TLX has been giving me trouble for the past two years. I feel like getting a blow up lemon and attaching it to the roof and park it out front of the dealership. I bought a Honda because of its reputation. Yes I know it's an Acura; but, we all know that an Acura is a Honda with a handle-bar mustache painted on it. I'll never buy another Acura again.

Sifting through this thread down to the Black TL, I discovered that owner reported bucking. I get bucking from time to time when the car is cold.

I have already had the transmission replaced on this dog; and, it took a year of pestering them to do it.

I'm between a rock and a hard place. I got no satisfaction from the service manager today.

I told him I was going over his head and contacting Acura USA directly; he didn't seem to care.

Anybody have any other ideas besides calling Acura headquarters directly? The dealer is a brick wall.
Do it! Call or Email Acura corporate and tell them. Refrain from mentioning the name of the sites, but tell them you’ve read plenty of cases where other owner experience this issue. I did that when I was getting some BS run around from Jenkins Acura up here in Ocala, FL. I had just bought my car used, at 40k, and I was getting the jumpy, bucking, from the TC. They did the drain/fill 1x3 and update and that didn’t fix it. The dealer wasn’t happy when I mentioned the TSB for if the problem isn’t fixed and she said that I would have to wait for the Acura Corp district manager to come in and drive my car. Oh yeah, he’s only at their dealership 1 day a month and he was just there the day before...

So, I emailed Acura Corp and about a day or two later that very person called me and after explaining everything to him, he told the dealership to replace my TC. Ring ring, “Hi, this is... from “” Acura dealership...) lol. I’m pretty much done letting other people work on my cars, you can’t always trust the service advisors or even the techs (not saying ALL of them) to do the job right and that’s very sad because these people are supposed to be the ones the ones we should trust since they’re the face of the brand. It’s like the salesmen get a promotion and move up to the service department. ;p Keep the BS on the lot, not in the back...
Old 08-13-2019, 02:55 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So I had mine in to do the software update, it's been rollin for 77k miles before it was done. It definitely needed it and it helped smooth things out quite a bit. I was told if I still felt issues in the shifting after 1000 miles to bring it back in and they could "contact Acura".

What would the contact Acura about? Is that to replace the TC? Or what? The TSB just says to flush and fill again from what I am reading.

It shifts much better than before. But I don't know if I am being a transmission hypochondriac now or if there is still an issue. If they are going to replace the TC under warranty, I would MUCH rather have them do that than deal with it on my own in 30k miles. I guess I am just looking for guidance and experience from others that have been down this road.

Thanks!

(searching for info on this problem is like drinking out of a fire hose... hard to find actual facts, too much noise, hence why I posted on this thread vs opening yet another thread... this one seemed "freshest")
Old 08-13-2019, 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by badbart
So I had mine in to do the software update, it's been rollin for 77k miles before it was done. It definitely needed it and it helped smooth things out quite a bit. I was told if I still felt issues in the shifting after 1000 miles to bring it back in and they could "contact Acura".

What would the contact Acura about? Is that to replace the TC? Or what? The TSB just says to flush and fill again from what I am reading.

It shifts much better than before. But I don't know if I am being a transmission hypochondriac now or if there is still an issue. If they are going to replace the TC under warranty, I would MUCH rather have them do that than deal with it on my own in 30k miles. I guess I am just looking for guidance and experience from others that have been down this road.

Thanks!

(searching for info on this problem is like drinking out of a fire hose... hard to find actual facts, too much noise, hence why I posted on this thread vs opening yet another thread... this one seemed "freshest")
Acura will do a "snapshot" of data and see if it looks like the torque converter is failing or not:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...39588-9999.pdf

Old 08-14-2019, 01:13 PM
4th Gear

Torque Converter

Originally Posted by mada51589
Do it! Call or Email Acura corporate and tell them. Refrain from mentioning the name of the sites, but tell them you’ve read plenty of cases where other owner experience this issue. I did that when I was getting some BS run around from Jenkins Acura up here in Ocala, FL. I had just bought my car used, at 40k, and I was getting the jumpy, bucking, from the TC. They did the drain/fill 1x3 and update and that didn’t fix it. The dealer wasn’t happy when I mentioned the TSB for if the problem isn’t fixed and she said that I would have to wait for the Acura Corp district manager to come in and drive my car. Oh yeah, he’s only at their dealership 1 day a month and he was just there the day before...

So, I emailed Acura Corp and about a day or two later that very person called me and after explaining everything to him, he told the dealership to replace my TC. Ring ring, “Hi, this is... from “” Acura dealership...) lol. I’m pretty much done letting other people work on my cars, you can’t always trust the service advisors or even the techs (not saying ALL of them) to do the job right and that’s very sad because these people are supposed to be the ones the ones we should trust since they’re the face of the brand. It’s like the salesmen get a promotion and move up to the service department. ;p Keep the BS on the lot, not in the back...
I did one better than Email or call Customer Service. I'm tired of dealing with people who read from a script giving me the party line. I worked in a sales organization for a computer vendor; I know the post-sales support drill. I sent a letter via US Postal Mail to the president.

I'm amazed at the lengths to which companies will go to insulate themselves from their customers; but eventually, I found the President and CEO of American Honda Motor Co. Inc. and their address in Torrence, CA. His name is Mr. Shinji Aoyama. I penned a letter to his attention today, will drop it off at the post office later today or tomorrow, and send it Certified, Return Receipt Requested. No one will be able to say they didn't get correspondence from me. I'm done dealing customer service. The vibration has gotten worse; and, the engine bucks when it's cold. By pure coincidence, I was in the service department sitting next to a couple with the same problem on the same type of vehicle. I included that in my letter.

My letter was respectful. I went so far as to address Mr. Shinji as Shinji -san; a form of respect in Japanese; but, I was frank with him. I laid out my problems and the lack of cooperation from my local dealer.

I have two friends, one in NJ and the other in NY with the same car; and, neither of them have experienced the problem I'm dealing with. In fact the NY owner leases a 2018 TLX; and, Honda has gone back to a mechanical gear shift. That owner doesn't have the push button gear shift that I have [which by the way I found worrisome when I bought the car.] That says one thing to me. Honda tried something in the early 2000-teens; and, it was a flop. I included that information and my surmise in the letter too to Mr. Shinji.

I had a problem with an expensive HP printer some years ago. I was given the run-around by their call center which was somewhere in India [from the heavy accent of the tech who by the way told me his name was Chad ~ I laughed my head off.]. After hours [no exaggeration] on the phone with them bounced from one person to another, dropped calls [or maybe intentionally disconnected], and when someone said "No one can talk to you now, They're all at lunch." I blew a gasket. The printer wouldn't print; so, I went to the HP website; and got the president's name and a fax number. I wrote a letter to the attention of the president and faxed it; and within a week or two, I got a reply from a customer support representative in the US. Within a week after that call, my printer was replaced.

I was frank with Mr. Shinji; but, I laid it on the line. I said that 1) I will never again patronize Rick Case Acura, and 2) I will never buy a Honda product again if this problem isn't fixed. Now, I just have to wait until the letter finds its way to the president's office and I get a response from American Honda USA. I expect that to be soon. Presidents and CEOs don't like to get these kinds of letters from customers.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:59 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnusx
i have sometimes a shutter when taking my foot off the gas around second gear and also a metallic rattling noise at around 2500 rpm . The shutter comes and goes and the rattling is getting louder. You think thats the Torque converter?
See thread about High oil consumption. For all 3.7 engines they are ordering to do a oil consumption test. if your car fails you get a new short block of your negine. GO NOW AND CHECK
Old 09-16-2019, 01:43 PM
4th Gear

Satisfaction can be found

Sometimes, it pays to send a letter to the president; although, I don't know how much influence my letter had on this issue, except to get some visibility at Honda Motor Co. USA headquarters.

As I said in my most recent post, I sent a letter directly to the president,a Mr. Shinji Aoyama, certified return receipt requested. Within a few days, I got a call from Honda USA customer service who instructed me to return to Rick Case Acura in Fort Lauderdale, FL to have the car diagnosed again. Upon my refusal to conduct any further business with that dealership, the agent recommended another dealership which is about equidistant from my home.

I called, made and appointment; and, brought my car there this morning. I said nothing about my experience with Rick Case Acura nor my letter to the president of the company. I just explained my experience. I went for a short ride; and when the shutter manifested itself, told the tech to grab the steering wheel so that he could feel it.

We returned to the service bay. He said, he would run diagnostics on the car. About an hour later, the service rep came to me in the waiting area to tell me there was a faulty torque converter in the car; and, that, I would have to leave the car for repair. I asked how long it would take. The rep told me the repair would take about a week because he had to get clearance from headquarters. At that point I disclosed that I had written to HQ, that there was a case already open on this, and gave him the name of the customer service rep in CA and the case number [with the hopes that this would speed up the process.]

With that, the rep said that it was odd to experience this on a TLX; most of the incidences of faulty torque converters were on the RLX. This is a known problem with Acura; so if you're having this problem and getting nowhere with your dealer, I recommend you follow the same steps I did to get this problem resolved. I now have a loaner vehicle, and am awaiting the repair.

Throughout this entire sequence of events, I've gotten mixed signals from Acura. 1) Rick Case replaced my transmission in 2018 and said nothing to the effect that the torque converter would have been replaced as part of that repair. 2) The customer service rep from Honda Motor USA said that the torque converter should have been replaced with the new transmission. I don't know who to believe, but don't care. There is the likelihood that Rick Case thought they'd save some money by replacing everything but the torque converter in 2018; or, the service department just doesn't know what they are doing. At 30k miles, this is a disgrace.

In short, if you're up against a brick wall, do an end-run on the service manager, and, go right to the president's office. Presidents don't like getting sternly worded [but polite] correspondence from customers. There are too many good marques on the market for a president to not take care of his customers.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by Disappointed:
csmeance (09-16-2019), echodigital (09-17-2019)