Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TL Takata Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Kain1009
Same problem with me! Especially me being 18... I can't get a rental. I need something to get to school and work. I don't want to drive parents car as my TL is most efficient (parents drive SUVs). And on the form that my parents signed, in bold it says LOANER (does this mean rental?). Because if not, I'm going to bring it up to Acura and get it figured out...

This sucks
| Honda Airbag Info

Dealer Repair & Rental Policy, and Support

Honda has made changes to corporate policies concerning loaner and rental vehicles to ensure a seamless customer experience. For example, dealers may now loan vehicles to teenage drivers, who are generally prohibited from renting or borrowing vehicles due to insurance policies. Honda has also increased associated reimbursement rates to dealers, and empowered them to loan and rent vehicles to affected customers without seeking pre-approval from Honda.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JT4
I understood that this issue just came up, so I assume it was sometime last week. So it may be possible since you received a rental prior to this alleged new policy, you may be spared any issues.. Like I mentioned earlier, with so much different info floating around it's hard to know what is fact.

I would assume that "Loaner" and rental would be one in the same in this situation. Also make sure your parents insurance would cover you when you're driving a rental or a loaner, it should but better to be sure. Another thing to be aware of, check your dealers loaner agreement. Some dealers will not allow someone under 21 to drive one of their loaner vehicles..

| Honda Airbag Info

Honda has made changes to corporate policies concerning loaner and rental vehicles to ensure a seamless customer experience. For example, dealers may now loan vehicles to teenage drivers, who are generally prohibited from renting or borrowing vehicles due to insurance policies. Honda has also increased associated reimbursement rates to dealers, and empowered them to loan and rent vehicles to affected customers without seeking pre-approval from Honda.
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 06:38 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
So I went today. They are willing to give me a car to drive from enterprise . If not, I get a TLX from them . Only happened after they saw the liability forms..
Good to hear, if it was me I would take the loaner (TLX) from the dealer and avoid a rental if I could.

Originally Posted by crxb
| Honda Airbag Info

Good to know Honda is being flexible with loaners. Because as you know, there had always been a "gray area" with loaners and teenage drivers which I can understand to a point.

But if the teen provides proof of insurance I don't understand the issue. Maybe there is something else I'm missing in regards to the driver being of legal age.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by JT4; 03-01-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Takata Airbag Inflator Update - February 29, 2016

Please take a moment to view an important video message from Bruce Smith – Senior Vice President of Parts, Service, Technical, Export & Auto Operations.
This video has information regarding the possible root cause of certain Takata airbag inflator ruptures.

http://link.videoplatform.limelight....yerForm=Player
The following 4 users liked this post by EE4Life:
crxb (03-01-2016), emanon256 (03-01-2016), JT4 (03-02-2016), ressling (03-06-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
| Honda Airbag Info

Is this a legitimate website? I called Honda and I mentioned this to them and they had no idea what I was talking about.. Even my parents complained to them about it.. Hahah

In fact nobody has called me back like they said they would 👿

Parents went to 2 dealerships one was willing but then decided not to..

What next? Complain to Acura? They said they have no authority to give a loaner and the local enterprise won't do squat about this. Even the case manager won't call me back 😭

Last edited by Kain1009; 03-01-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Is this a legitimate website? I called Honda and I mentioned this to them and they had no idea what I was talking about.. Even my parents complained to them about it.. Hahah

In fact nobody has called me back like they said they would ��

What next? Complain to Acura? They said they have no authority to give a loaner and the local enterprise won't do squat about this. Even the case manager won't call me back ��
I first called Acura HQ on 2/18 and was assigned a case manager. She called back that day but I missed the call. Every day till 2/25 I would call in the morning and leave my cell number on the case manager's voicemail. No call back. Finally I called HQ back and they conferenced in my case manager. THEN we got things done in 15 minutes. You might try that.

Last edited by sehale; 03-01-2016 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo correction
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (03-02-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

What next? Complain to Acura? They said they have no authority to give a loaner and the local enterprise won't do squat about this. Even the case manager won't call me back ��

its on Honda's web site

go to honda's main page Honda.com

just under "the power of dreams"

- message about airbag recalls - takes you directly to http://hondaairbaginfo.com/takata-ai...ll-fact-sheet/

Last edited by crxb; 03-01-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:25 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

What next? Complain to Acura?They said they have no authority to give a loaner and the local enterprise won't do squat about this. Even the case manager won't call me back ��
If you haven't called ACR yet call them and explain the runaround you're getting. ACR should open a case and contact your dealer on your behalf. If you have contacted ACR, and the case manager hasn't called you back, keep calling and don't give up. Basically do as sehale mentioned in his post above.

I understand that in a lot of cases ACR doesn't have control over the dealers, but in this situation I was told Acura/Honda isn't allowing the dealers to dictate how this airbag mess is handled.

Last edited by JT4; 03-02-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
I just called my dealer about this and they confirmed that my car is affected and they will have the necessary parts in the summer. I'm on an express list to get notified as soon as it is available.

In the meantime, I'm not going to worry about it and just do my usual defensive driving.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
I got a 2016 TLX Tech Package as a loaner but I miss my car so much, the TLX feels a lot lighter and responsive but my TL feels more solid, roomier and with a better stance on the road. I am keeping my car at my place but now I am concerned because the car will be sitting for a few month since we are not allowed to drive them, what if the rotors, brake pad get rusty? What if the internal fluid get bad? Will the gas be as good as when fresh? Is Acura going to service our cars as a part of the recall?
I am considering to drop the loaner and get back to my car. I don't want to deal with this kind of expenses if Acura decides not to take care of our cars maintenances.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
What about you just drive it around your neighborhood once awhile to warm up tires and fluids??

Originally Posted by LostProphet
I got a 2016 TLX Tech Package as a loaner but I miss my car so much, the TLX feels a lot lighter and responsive but my TL feels more solid, roomier and with a better stance on the road. I am keeping my car at my place but now I am concerned because the car will be sitting for a few month since we are not allowed to drive them, what if the rotors, brake pad get rusty? What if the internal fluid get bad? Will the gas be as good as when fresh? Is Acura going to service our cars as a part of the recall?
I am considering to drop the loaner and get back to my car. I don't want to deal with this kind of expenses if Acura decides not to take care of our cars maintenances.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

What are your thoughts on trading in a 2010 TL for a new TLX? Yay or nay? I understand you have to pay the difference etc. is it worth it rather than to just let the car sit there for approximately 7 months? (My dealer told me 7 months )
Old 03-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JT4
If you haven't called ACR yet call them and explain the runaround you're getting. ACR should open a case and contact your dealer on your behalf. If you have contacted ACR, and the case manager hasn't called you back, keep calling and don't give up. Basically do as sehale mentioned in his post above.

I understand that in a lot of cases ACR doesn't have control over the dealers, but in this situation I was told Acura/Honda isn't allowing the dealers to dictate how this airbag mess is handled.
Done that. They won't help me because I'm 18.... So hence the reason my parents want to trade in the TL for a TLX that isn't affected
Old 03-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I asked my dealer about trading up and getting a credit for what he is paying for the rental. He told me that they can't accept any affected TLs as trade in or sell any. So trading in is not an option.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Done that. They won't help me because I'm 18.... So hence the reason my parents want to trade in the TL for a TLX that isn't affected
At 18 you are an adult. You need to step up to the plate and out from behind your parents.

If you're the named/registered owner of the vehicle Acura Client Relations (ACR) will handle it.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:11 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just called the dealer here, Springfield Acura in NJ regarding the recall. The SA told me to call Honda client relations. Says they don't know any information about it. Nothing about not driving the car, rentals. I would think by now, all dealers would be notified. It's been almost a month after the official recall.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:17 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

As someone else mentioned, as of right now since your TL is part of a recall I doubt any Acura Dealer will accept it on a trade. And by some chance they do, I'm really not sure the TLX is the answer right now. And this is coming from a 10+ year Acura fan..

The airbag recall on your TL is just a bump in the road that while frustrating, will be corrected. The TLX on the other hand has had it's share of problems primarily transmission issues that have a lot of the owners on this forum ready to pull their hair out. If you haven't already done so, take a look at the 5G TLX trans problem section on the forum.

A lot of people have reported that the 2016 TLX transmissions are ok, and I hope so. But IMO I would still give it some time before I ran out an bought a TLX.

BTW who "on paper" is the registered owner of your TL, you or one of your parents?? If your parents are the registered owners (on paper) then yes they need to contact Acura, that could be why ACR doesn't want to speak with you.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I miss my tl as well definitely feels more solid and have a better stance on the road with the tlx i feel like i am in a tsx more so than a tl.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow....idiots....thats pretty sad

Originally Posted by cwh82
I just called the dealer here, Springfield Acura in NJ regarding the recall. The SA told me to call Honda client relations. Says they don't know any information about it. Nothing about not driving the car, rentals. I would think by now, all dealers would be notified. It's been almost a month after the official recall.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by soniczoom5
wow....idiots....thats pretty sad
Yeah, it's an NJ dealer, go Figure. I'm near Park Ave Acura so I'll give them a call today/tomorrow and see what they say. I wouldn't mind having a loaner for a while due to this issue, though I love my TL.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:19 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone in Ontario, Canada able to get anywhere with getting a loaner? We have 2 TL's in the house and am willing to park both.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Intermediate

I understand but it's because it's was my parents car until they gave it to me when I turned 15. It's still under their name and they don't want to change it. To them it's just some words on paper. Literally nothing to them and Acura still doesn't help even when my parents talk to them.. Weh

I also asked the local dealer and he says he wants to take a look at the TL. Either he doesn't know my car is recalled (I specifically mentioned it to him via email) or my dealer is willing to take it in?

And yes I'll look into those transmission issue stuff.

Thanks guys
Old 03-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I have got the run around with my local dealership. Poor customer service and I'm sure they don't want to lose any money on loaner cars/rental cars. They say "it's okay to drive you'll be fine" (which is probably true)
For anyone running into issues call ACR and they should take care of you. They open a case number and contact a dealership near you. I was about to give up and just drive the TL but I rather save the miles on it.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cwh82
Originally Posted by Blaze9
Yeah, it's an NJ dealer, go Figure. I'm near Park Ave Acura so I'll give them a call today/tomorrow and see what they say. I wouldn't mind having a loaner for a while due to this issue, though I love my TL.
Originally Posted by timsta
I have got the run around with my local dealership. Poor customer service and I'm sure they don't want to lose any money on loaner cars/rental cars. They say "it's okay to drive you'll be fine" (which is probably true)
For anyone running into issues call ACR and they should take care of you. They open a case number and contact a dealership near you. I was about to give up and just drive the TL but I rather save the miles on it.
After i thought about it, I too wanted to save the miles so i chose the loaner and keep my car at my house and + my

co-work got into a head on accident where her car was totaled, she came out with a sprained ankle and a minor

scrape so she is thankful to be alive. What she did say to me was that her airbag did not deploy it was a head on

she said and all other airbags except her steering wheel airbag did not deploy, So Im kinda glad they gave me a

loaner.. I also live in NJ my closest dealer is DCH in Montclair. At first the clerk knew about the recall and said we are not giving out loaners at this time because it's too

many customers verses the loaner they can provide. Later that day the SA called and said we will give you a loaner but

you have to leave your car and if anything happens to it DCH is not responsible with a tone persuading me to keep driving my car and its risky if I even leave with them. Then i made

an appointment anyway for the following week. Next thing you know someone posted a link to a pdf for owners to keep

their car which gave me the drive to go through with the process. The dealer was still i delivering poor service by;

giving me a 13' ilx which had a recall as well and was not comparable to the tl in size I'm 6'5". So long story short I

had to reschedule. I went to the rescheduled appointment and they said "oh we ran out of ilxs", and that is when they

gave me a 15 Tlx adv package. Like he said call ACR and they will search for dealers in proximity the provide you with

the best solution whether it is a rental or loaner. I have developed a habit to park far from everybody else because people will bump your car trying to park theirs
Old 03-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Racer

i forgot to mention she was driving a 2gen tsx
Old 03-09-2016, 02:03 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Gonna go call my dealer Tomorrow, Park Ave. We'll see how it goes.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I just called my dealer a moment ago, they are aware of the recall, but they told me that Honda doesn't have the parts until probably in the summer, and asked me to call back in the summer. Gonna call Honda corp. now. We have two Acura vehicles, both are impacted by the recall, super annoying . . .
Old 03-09-2016, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I've got to say, this is one of the great things about this website!!

I found out about the recall on this website as someone posted they couldn't buy a TL because of the recall. I went online and found out my car was effected, then to my local dealership's website and scheduled an appointment. They emailed me back the next day saying they did not have parts and would schedule an appointment when parts become available this summer.... I thought, OK, not great but at least I am on the list.

Then I read this thread. Emailed the service manager back and just simply asked, what are the options as Acura states I should not drive this car due to the safety concerns. He emailed me right back and said they would set me up in a rental car at their expense and to call him that day. So I called him, told him it needed to be comparable, understanding that it wasn't going to be as well equipped, and he said of course. He told me he would have the Enterprise rent a car guy call me with details and when I could come pick up a car. I also told him that I understand I can keep the car in my garage, he said there was a form to fill out, but no problem. The enterprise guy called me within a couple hours and set up a time to come in and pick up a car - asked what I wanted, SUV, car, etc...

So, this morning my wife dropped me off and they put me in a well equipped Tahoe. I told him the day before it would be nice if it had a Nav (as I know cars with Nav are usually better equipped) and sure enough, a well equipped Tahoe with leather and Nav.

So, I drove over to the dealer, met with the service manager, I already had the form I downloaded off this thread filled out. He asked my odometer which is around 81K, and signed a service form and done. Very simple. I let the service manager know that I was more than impressed with the level of service and simplicity in this process. He said it is all they can do, they can't sell the effected cars and don't have enough loaners to take care of everyone. He basically suggested they are not giving loaners for this process as they need them for their regular service needs.

The form also says that they will pay to have the car towed to the dealer when the parts become available. Not sure that I will do that as you can't be certain a tow truck operator will not damage the car, but safety is important... I don't want to take a chance having someone hit me and the thing blows up in my face...

I will also be good and not drive the TL except to move it in and out of the garage to get to tools on the other side of the car. It will be nice to save mileage for the next 6 months... I'm going to drive the hell out of this Tahoe
Old 03-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I took mine in this morning for an A1 service, as well as a few other issues, and asked about the Airbag recall. The service guy I was assigned to told me that my car may or may not be on the list, and that Acura would send out notifications this summer when I could get the car in for the update.

So, you must have to push the issue to get the "We'll get you a rental" option.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:25 PM
Instructor

Go here and put in your VIN:

Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Acura Owners Site

If it is on the list, email service for an appointment to get it fixed. When they send you an email or call you, say, Acura recommends I don't drive the car, what do you suggest I do?

If they are a good dealer, they will have a plan to get you out of that death trap until it is fixed...
Old 03-09-2016, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Which dealership took care of you if you don't mind me asking. I am about taking mine in. Called Bellevue and Seattle but both of them said I have to have my car stored in their place!

Originally Posted by Thermoguy
I've got to say, this is one of the great things about this website!!

I found out about the recall on this website as someone posted they couldn't buy a TL because of the recall. I went online and found out my car was effected, then to my local dealership's website and scheduled an appointment. They emailed me back the next day saying they did not have parts and would schedule an appointment when parts become available this summer.... I thought, OK, not great but at least I am on the list.

Then I read this thread. Emailed the service manager back and just simply asked, what are the options as Acura states I should not drive this car due to the safety concerns. He emailed me right back and said they would set me up in a rental car at their expense and to call him that day. So I called him, told him it needed to be comparable, understanding that it wasn't going to be as well equipped, and he said of course. He told me he would have the Enterprise rent a car guy call me with details and when I could come pick up a car. I also told him that I understand I can keep the car in my garage, he said there was a form to fill out, but no problem. The enterprise guy called me within a couple hours and set up a time to come in and pick up a car - asked what I wanted, SUV, car, etc...

So, this morning my wife dropped me off and they put me in a well equipped Tahoe. I told him the day before it would be nice if it had a Nav (as I know cars with Nav are usually better equipped) and sure enough, a well equipped Tahoe with leather and Nav.

So, I drove over to the dealer, met with the service manager, I already had the form I downloaded off this thread filled out. He asked my odometer which is around 81K, and signed a service form and done. Very simple. I let the service manager know that I was more than impressed with the level of service and simplicity in this process. He said it is all they can do, they can't sell the effected cars and don't have enough loaners to take care of everyone. He basically suggested they are not giving loaners for this process as they need them for their regular service needs.

The form also says that they will pay to have the car towed to the dealer when the parts become available. Not sure that I will do that as you can't be certain a tow truck operator will not damage the car, but safety is important... I don't want to take a chance having someone hit me and the thing blows up in my face...

I will also be good and not drive the TL except to move it in and out of the garage to get to tools on the other side of the car. It will be nice to save mileage for the next 6 months... I'm going to drive the hell out of this Tahoe
Old 03-10-2016, 01:15 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Thermoguy
Go here and put in your VIN:

Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Acura Owners Site

If it is on the list, email service for an appointment to get it fixed. When they send you an email or call you, say, Acura recommends I don't drive the car, what do you suggest I do?

If they are a good dealer, they will have a plan to get you out of that death trap until it is fixed...
Is your vehicle under warranty?
Old 03-10-2016, 07:39 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by oshiha
Is your vehicle under warranty?
In the case of the recall, it doesn't matter if your vehicle is under warranty or not. Acura will fix the problem and should provide you with a loaner or rental.

Now granted, some owners are having better success with their dealers than others which has caused some owners to contact ACR.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:49 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Takata Airbag Update 03/09/16

http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...uto?&flashvars
The following 2 users liked this post by EE4Life:
crxb (03-10-2016), JT4 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Oh awesome, my car's a part of the recall!

I get to deal with my shit Acura dealer again.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by james21_h
Which dealership took care of you if you don't mind me asking. I am about taking mine in. Called Bellevue and Seattle but both of them said I have to have my car stored in their place!
I purchased my car in Fife.

I'm not always impressed by the service writers, but in this case they have been great.

As someone else said, this has nothing to do with warranty, it is a recall. But I have a warranty to 100K miles.

Download the form from this thread and show it to them. It is straight from Acura so they can't really argue. I'm sure it helps them as they don't have all the space in the world to store cars for 6 months.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EE4Life

mentions letters go out 3/14 thru 3/25

early April 1st shipment of parts (not every part#)
Old 03-10-2016, 10:22 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Hopefully they get these parts in soon. I think I'm giving my '10 TL up next week if the dealer lets me take a loaner, haven't asked them so we'll see. I just don't want to drive around with a possibility of shrapnel in my airbag lol. Leaving my TL at a family member's to sit while I have a loaner since there are already 5 cars in my garage, will hate to be without it for 2-3 months
Old 03-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Racer

did anyone receive a RLX as a loaner?...just asking Imagine if it was 2017 and some of us received NSX loaners....Doubt it im just dreaming would be cool though
Old 03-11-2016, 03:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
received a buick enclave from enterprise with possibility of an acura loaner switch out today.

Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall